Rushu42

The Alleyverse Post

66 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

"I'll certainly try my best," she quipped, and grabbed a pen from a desk. "So you write about the 'spooky stuff' - that's what, murders?" She slid the pen's ink cartridge into a pocket and replaced the pen. "Or is it reports of the supernatural? It seems you've got a lot of that around here."

Even as she said that, something flickered in the corner of her eye, and she jumped when a young girl suddenly appeared by the water cooler, staring her in the eye. Acacia bit back a scream, and gestured shakily to the apparition. "Um.. you guys can see her, right?"

"Yeah... Um, hello?" Bell looked down at his necklace. The sand had turned black but that didn't mean much, he may have just walked by a Coppercloud on his way to work without noticing.   

@Voidus

Edited by Arlin
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whisper gave a polite nod to each startled individual as they noticed her but she also raised a curious eyebrow. The reaction was a little more than she'd have expected, certainly in the Alleys nobody would have been anywhere near as surprised. She glanced downwards towards her attire, had she forgotten to remove the blood? Some people reacted poorly to that, but she couldn't see any on herself at the moment.

She looked back up to the others, tilting her head to one side in an expression of confusion. They'd been surprised but apparently not too wary, one had suggested she might be ghost but she assumed that was intended as a joke.

"Yeah... Um, hello?" One of them said, Bell from the sound of his voice. He seemed to look towards something around his neck for a moment, searching for some meaning in it. A Fabrial perhaps?

She gave Bell a wave in reply before raising a hand to her throat and tilting her chin up to expose the thick ropy scar that crossed the top of her neck. She pointed at it exaggeratedly before making eye contact, hoping they'd be able to understand. But then again she'd already used Lightweaving here so she wasn't as hampered in communication as she sometimes needed to be.

'Whisper.' She wrote over her head in glowing scarlet letters, allong with an arrow pointing towards herself. After a moment for them to read the word scattered and reformed. 'Bell?' it asked as the arrow shifted towards him. 'Rathi?' the arrow shifted towards the one with what appeared to be subtly shifting pigmentation, Aimian? Or a very talented Returned. 'Acacia?' towards the woman. The voices were relatively easy to match up but it was always best to be sure.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Acacia stared, quite rudely, as the girl conjured floating letters around the room, abeling each person with their name. "So..you're not a ghost, then?" she asked. You're in a parallel universe, she reminded herself sternly. Be prepared for the unusual. 

"In that case," she continued briskly, not waiting for an answer, "it's quite rude to pretend to be one in such an ambiguous manner. If you're going to appear out of thin air, you should at least wear a sheet and make the appropriate 'oooh'ing noises so that people know what they're dealing with."

@Voidus @Gears @Arlin

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"So..you're not a ghost, then?" Acacia asked.

Whisper shooke her head, her short tangled mess of brown hair briefly getting tangled in her face as she did so.

"In that case," Acacian continued "it's quite rude to pretend to be one in such an ambiguous manner. If you're going to appear out of thin air, you should at least wear a sheet and make the appropriate 'oooh'ing noises so that people know what they're dealing with."

Whisper tilted her head to the side again, watching with a momentary furrowed brow. But a moment later she shrugged to herself and expelled another brief burst of Stormlight which quickly formed into the appearance of a white sheet, a second more concentrated burst mimicked the sound Acacia had just made.

'ooooh' Acacia's voice whispered back.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Voidus said:

"So..you're not a ghost, then?" Acacia asked.

Whisper shooke her head, her short tangled mess of brown hair briefly getting tangled in her face as she did so.

"In that case," Acacian continued "it's quite rude to pretend to be one in such an ambiguous manner. If you're going to appear out of thin air, you should at least wear a sheet and make the appropriate 'oooh'ing noises so that people know what they're dealing with."

Whisper tilted her head to the side again, watching with a momentary furrowed brow. But a moment later she shrugged to herself and expelled another brief burst of Stormlight which quickly formed into the appearance of a white sheet, a second more concentrated burst mimicked the sound Acacia had just made.

'ooooh' Acacia's voice whispered back.

"Now that is much more convincing. You should have led with that! This way, everyone knows exactly how they're being deceived, and can act accordingly. If you don't mind me asking, how exactly did you manage that?"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Poller's going to show up soon. He'll probably write articles from Cassie's shop and have them delivered here, but he wants to do this. (And I need him to leave so Cassie can talk to the Anarchist...)

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The illusion vanished into glowing smoke as Whisper dismissed it, absorbing some of the Stormlight back as the rest dissipated. Another brief flicker of Stormlight caused the shining words to begin forming once again.

'Stormlight. The Surge of Illumination it's called on Roshar.' She supplied helpfully. 'Mostly used by the Radiants.'

The conversation was proceeding smoother than most of hers could, aided in part by her ability to actually use Illumination to communicate this time. Writing everything down on a board may conserve Stormlight but it was torturously slow for conversations to be able to flow naturally.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Voidus said:

The illusion vanished into glowing smoke as Whisper dismissed it, absorbing some of the Stormlight back as the rest dissipated. Another brief flicker of Stormlight caused the shining words to begin forming once again.

'Stormlight. The Surge of Illumination it's called on Roshar.' She supplied helpfully. 'Mostly used by the Radiants.'

The conversation was proceeding smoother than most of hers could, aided in part by her ability to actually use Illumination to communicate this time. Writing everything down on a board may conserve Stormlight but it was torturously slow for conversations to be able to flow naturally.

So, magic. Real magic, not a Talent or Silimatics. I should have guessed. "Wow. I know what all of those words mean, so I of course require no further explanation. Do you work here too?"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whisper felt her brow twitch sceptically at Acacia's reply but kept the rest of her face impassive as she nodded in response and gave her a small smile. She considered briefly rearranging the illusion to explain further but decided against it. Best not to seem like she was trying to lecture anyone, that kind of behaviour could backfire and earn undue attention. Quietly helping everyone along was easiest for now, try not to stand out too much.

'Whisper, Reporter.' She replied simply.

'Coffee?' The words reformed as Whisper moved to the nearby pot and began to fill it with water, pulling a stack of mugs towards herself and preparing the brew.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Voidus said:

'Whisper, Reporter.' She replied simply.

'Coffee?' The words reformed as Whisper moved to the nearby pot and began to fill it with water, pulling a stack of mugs towards herself and preparing the brew.

"Gladly," said Acacia, replying to the floating words. "Thank you." She glanced at the coffee-maker, making a mental note to tamper with it later. "So, what sort of articles do you write? I think Bell over there has the ghost stories covered."

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Voidus said:

'Coffee?' The words reformed as Whisper moved to the nearby pot and began to fill it with water, pulling a stack of mugs towards herself and preparing the brew.

"I would love some, thank you," Rathi said. "Are you a Lightweaver or a Truthwatcher?" He recalled the Radiants of old, before the Recreance and the Return, when he had been young and inexperienced. Lightweavers tended to be artistic types, hoping to discover one's self through Truth and confession. Truthwatchers focused more on discovery of knowledge and history through Truth and scholarship. His bet was on Lightweaver, though people tended to be surprising. As he reminisced, his veins changed colour to a soft pastel purple.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leaving the coffee to steep for a moment, Whisper poured some milk into a smaller jug and then set it on a  tray along with a number of small sugar sachets. The busywork helped keep her body busy, which meant less of her attention needed to be focussed on controlling her reactions. Appearing to be polite and helpful was another benefit of doing suc work, though in the wrong setting that could lead to more suspicion rather than less.

'Secrets.' She replied to Acacia, the words blooming out of a looming darkness like a brief glimmer of blood seen at the end of an alley. Whisper gave herself a deprecating smile as she improvised the additional flourishes.

There was a small clink of glass against ceramic as she set the pot of coffee against one of the mugs and began pouring, carefully measuring out and leaving room for cream if anyone wanted any. She poured silently as the words slowly faded back into darkness before replying to Rathi's question.

'Neither.' She said simply, holding the tray with three cups in front of her to each of the others. 'Little bit different, no spren, no other Surge.'

Whisper left her explanation at that though there would doubtless be follow up questions.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Voidus said:

'Neither.' She said simply, holding the tray with three cups in front of her to each of the others. 'Little bit different, no spren, no other Surge.'

Interesting. Rathi would have suspected the Yolish variant, but he had seen her using Stormlight. A variant of the Yolish variant powered by Stormlight? Hemalurgy? Either could be viable. "Is it Hemalurgy or a variant of Yolish Lightweaving?" he asked, his fingerprints swirling with colours. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Acacia took a coffee cup, watching as the others began to trade words she didn't recognize. She frowned, staring at Rathi, then blurted out, "Okay, am I crazy, or are you changing colors?"

@Gears

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whisper shrugged in response, balancing the tray in one hand as she began adding several packets of sugar to her own cup. The letters abover her head reformed slowly as she mused over her reply before settling on the simplest answer.

'I'm not sure.' She said. 'Just something I can do.'

"Okay, am I crazy, or are you changing colors?" Acacia interrupted.

Whisper nodded, adding a little extra to her previous sentence to explain.

'Siah Aimian I assume?' She asked Rathi, giving Acacia a sidelong look.

She'd seemed to be very interested in the various Investitures that had been evident, and had looked at the coffee pot with some interest, but not the other technologies around the room. One of the Earths perhaps? Recently arrived in any case, not many were unfamiliar with Stormlight after living in the city for any length of time.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Voidus said:

'Siah Aimian I assume?' She asked Rathi, giving Acacia a sidelong look.

"Yes," Rathi said, letting his skin swirl with vibrant colours. "Clever child." Since Acacia was on his right, he let his left arm tattoo itself with the message of: Acacia's a little ignorant about the cosmere. She's new. Don't shock her too much.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bell opened his Tupperware, "Well 'Little Ms. Phantom' do you at least eat?" That scar down her throat, the few Radiants he had met were never happy people but that on a child just seemed cruel.  

 

 

  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whisper looked up towards Bell, staring at him with a momentary sadness before slowly shaking her head, she allowed the words form over her once more as she stared forlornly towards the ground in the wake of the question.

'Not anymore. I can only survive on human blood.'

The message hung in the air for a few seconds before another small trail of Stormlight rose to continue on underneath it.

'That was a joke.'

Her expression broke and she looked back up with a sly grin pulling at her lips.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Whisper looked up towards Bell, staring at him with a momentary sadness before slowly shaking her head, she allowed the words form over her once more as she stared forlornly towards the ground in the wake of the question.

'Not anymore. I can only survive on human blood.'

The message hung in the air for a few seconds before another small trail of Stormlight rose to continue on underneath it.

'That was a joke.'

Her expression broke and she looked back up with a sly grin pulling at her lips.

Acacia laughed. "You nearly had me there, miss Whisper. It wouldn't be the craziest thing I've seen this past week. I must say, it's going to be a real pleasure working with people that have such sparkling senses of humor.Speaking of work, though, does anyone have any stories yet, or are we supposed to go out and find some?"

@Gears @Arlin 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rushu42 said:

Acacia laughed. "You nearly had me there, miss Whisper. It wouldn't be the craziest thing I've seen this past week. I must say, it's going to be a real pleasure working with people that have such sparkling senses of humor.Speaking of work, though, does anyone have any stories yet, or are we supposed to go out and find some?"

"I have no stories, unless you want me to recount my life, which will be boring," Rathi said. "Maybe I can go invade some fight clubs and ask annoying questions until people get annoyed and tie me to a carnivorous beast."

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gears said:

"I have no stories, unless you want me to recount my life, which will be boring," Rathi said. "Maybe I can go invade some fight clubs and ask annoying questions until people get annoyed and tie me to a carnivorous beast."

"That does sounds like a promising tactic," Acacia agreed, stroking her chin. "Not a high rate of survival, though. If you see them getting out rope, you might want to back off. There was a festival going on not too long ago; does someone want to investigate the highlights of it?"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rushu42 said:

"That does sounds like a promising tactic," Acacia agreed, stroking her chin. "Not a high rate of survival, though. If you see them getting out rope, you might want to back off. There was a festival going on not too long ago; does someone want to investigate the highlights of it?"

"Me!" Rathi said, raising a golden hand. "See you when I have a story!" He ran out of the Alleyverse Post before ducking back in. "Um... Where is this festival?"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gears said:

"Me!" Rathi said, raising a golden hand. "See you when I have a story!" He ran out of the Alleyverse Post before ducking back in. "Um... Where is this festival?"

"All over the city, I think. The main part was in the central square, though. Godspeed, sir, and may you return victorious!"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Its called The Festival of Rebirth, an annual sort of a celebration of the new year." Bell interjected. "Its a great time, my parents would always dress me up as The Baker and take to listen to the Rebirth story wile eating eating chota.    

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arlin said:

"Its called The Festival of Rebirth, an annual sort of a celebration of the new year." Bell interjected. "Its a great time, my parents would always dress me up as The Baker and take to listen to the Rebirth story wile eating eating chota.    

"It's probably redundant to print the Rebirth story, then?" Acacia asked thoughtfully, "If people have already heard it?"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.