Rushu42

We're reviving the Alleyverse Post! This time it'll be a roleplay in addition to the actual newspaper - a sort of office drama about the running of the newspaper. We'll also occasionally be releasing actual newspaper pages about the Alleycity. If you'd like to write an article (which would be greatly appreciated) just PM me with it. You don't have to be in the RP to do so.

Edition 1:

Spoiler

5f43137fbca6f_Screenshot2020-08-22at11_09_36PM.png.0d3e500f9a69e807d06f446c14b45a76.png5f431389a0b4f_Screenshot2020-08-22at11_10_34PM.png.e14bbc7365c984eac1850bcaea506be3.png5f4313849c099_Screenshot2020-08-22at11_11_20PM.png.424a744030f268a12e9cdf966c9d6398.png5f43138e03559_Screenshot2020-08-22at11_11_39PM.png.1ce1e2995134790f960e8df6217cafc4.png5f43139154ea6_Screenshot2020-08-22at11_11_56PM.png.5af11785b65db2c65ae1e15b74e5735c.png

Old Newspaper editions:

Spoiler

5d80297f401a6_Untitled-MadewithPosterMyWall.thumb.jpg.3b9c4a2ce2326e9669edf45e74e7df17.jpg5d80297b1c311_Copyofoldnewspaperconcerteventflyertemplatenewsletter-MadewithPosterMyWall.thumb.jpg.a8521a098f65219f036a87d48743dbc3.jpg

Acacia Smedry walked into the office, whistling. Her interview with the Scholar's Guild woman had apparently gone uncommonly well. Truth be told, Acacia had not expected to get this job. The Guild person was probably desperate for employees to be hiring a Smedry to do desk work.

She looked around the office critically. It seemed like a standard workplace, from what little experience she had with standard workplaces. Desks were scattered about, and a printing press clanged in the other room. She was pleasantly surprised to find that she had her own little room in the back, with a plaque on the door that read "Editor". She nodded, staring around the room, and set to work.

The first thing she did was flip the "now hiring" sign in the window upside-down. A cliched move, it was true, but one that would really bother some people. Then she shoved a few desks so that their corners jutted into doorways, and switched all the chairs. Whoever had stocked this place hadn't bothered to get a matching set of furniture, so it wasn't hard to arrange all the chairs to be the wrong sizes for their respective desks. As a final touch, she pried off the "Editor" sign from her door and stuck it to the break room. There was more to be done, of course, but this would be a good start. She sat on a desk by the door and began to watch for the arrival of other employees.

(I'm going to tag everyone in the PM so that it's possible to find this thread)

@Sorana @Gears @Arlin @AonEne @Voidus @Ashbringer @Invocation @MetaTerminal

Edited by Rushu42
Edition 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rathi walked through the doors of the Alleyverse Post. Hopefully this group would be less prejudiced than the previous one he'd been in. For some reason, having a shadow that points the wrong way makes you a demon that should be set on fire, which ruined the outfit he'd had. Honestly, some people had no respect for fashion. He took a moment to mourn the loss of his cravat before saying, "I'm here for a newspaper job. Is anyone in the building, or am I talking to myself?"

@Rushu42

5 hours ago, Gears said:

Rathi walked through the doors of the Alleyverse Post. Hopefully this group would be less prejudiced than the previous one he'd been in. For some reason, having a shadow that points the wrong way makes you a demon that should be set on fire, which ruined the outfit he'd had. Honestly, some people had no respect for fashion. He took a moment to mourn the loss of his cravat before saying, "I'm here for a newspaper job. Is anyone in the building, or am I talking to myself?"

@Rushu42

Acacia stood and stumbled directly into his path, bumping into him. "Sorry," she said. "I'm Acacia, the new editor of this place. As far as I know I'm the only one here, but you can never be sure. There could always be people listening in the walls."

2 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Acacia stood and stumbled directly into his path, bumping into him. "Sorry," she said. "I'm Acacia, the new editor of this place. As far as I know I'm the only one here, but you can never be sure. There could always be people listening in the walls."

Rathi nodded. Paranoia, always a wise sentiment to have. "Well, I'm here too, so now you're not the only one here." He laughed quietly while making a quick tattoo of his new boss's name and traits. Acacia, walks wobbly, editor, paranoia. "I got a job here. What would you like me to do?"

10 minutes ago, Gears said:

Rathi nodded. Paranoia, always a wise sentiment to have. "Well, I'm here too, so now you're not the only one here." He laughed quietly while making a quick tattoo of his new boss's name and traits. Acacia, walks wobbly, editor, paranoia. "I got a job here. What would you like me to do?"

Acacia was slightly disappointed by his reaction. She was hoping that the comment would have caused more confusion - normally it had people looking over their shoulders all day. He would be a hard one to rattle, it seemed. 

"I suppose you can pick a desk," she said. "if you're a reporter, anyway. What's your name?"

1 minute ago, Rushu42 said:

"I suppose you can pick a desk," she said. "if you're a reporter, anyway. What's your name?"

"I'm Rathi," he said, eyes melting into a warm shade of green momentarily before he snapped them back to standard blue. "Though I've rarely been a reporter, I can certainly try. It doesn't look like you have too many options though." He gestured at the empty desks. "Not too many people here, are there?"

29 minutes ago, Gears said:

"I'm Rathi," he said, eyes melting into a warm shade of green momentarily before he snapped them back to standard blue. "Though I've rarely been a reporter, I can certainly try. It doesn't look like you have too many options though." He gestured at the empty desks. "Not too many people here, are there?"

"Yeah, it seems like hiring's been slow. Did your eyes just change color?"

If my character seems erratic for a little while, I apologize. I'm still trying to figure out how to properly roleplay her.

Just now, Rushu42 said:

"Yeah, it seems like hiring's been slow. Did your eyes just change color?"

"No," Rathi lied as his fingernails lost their crystalline sheen. He hadn't expected the woman to notice. His tattoo updated with a quick notice: Punctilious. "They look different in certain slants of light."

1 minute ago, Gears said:

"No," Rathi lied as his fingernails lost their crystalline sheen. He hadn't expected the woman to notice. His tattoo updated with a quick notice: Punctilious. "They look different in certain slants of light."

"Huh," she said, "I guess that makes sense. To be honest, I've never run a newspaper before. I think that your job is to bother strangers until they tell you something interesting, right?"

26 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

"Huh," she said, "I guess that makes sense. To be honest, I've never run a newspaper before. I think that your job is to bother strangers until they tell you something interesting, right?"

"Sounds good to me!" Rathi said with a grin. "Bothersome Menace is one of my favourite nicknames!"

21 minutes ago, Gears said:

"Sounds good to me!" Rathi said with a grin. "Bothersome Menace is one of my favourite nicknames!"

She returned the grin. "In that case, you're someone I'll get along well with. The woman who hired me said that there'd be a few more reporters, though. It seems reasonable to wait for them before deciding who to bother."

Bell absentmindedly pushed through the doors of  the building with a Tupperware full of leftover chocolate salted-camel cupcakes under his arm. He stopped after after a second  taking in the new faces  "Oh hey, one of you must be the new editor. My name is Bell, I write all the spooky stuff in the crazy people section."

1 minute ago, Arlin said:

Bell absentmindedly pushed through the doors of  the building with a Tupperware full of leftover chocolate salted-camel cupcakes under his arm. He stopped after after a second  taking in the new faces  "Oh hey, one of you must be the new editor. My name is Bell, I write all the spooky stuff in the crazy people section."

"The new editor would be me," Acacia returned cheerfully. "That means I get an extra cupcake, right?"

2 minutes ago, Arlin said:

"If you're good to me, anyway I've told you two my name what your's ?"

"I'm Rathi," he said as blue lines crept up his skin. He quickly reverted his skin to its normal state and checked his teeth for fangs.

Whisper continued to sit tucked into one corner of the room, remaining covered by an illusory water cooler. She couldn't put faces to names yet without disturbing the illusion but she was furiously comitting the voices she heard to memory. A reporting job had seemed a nice easy way to be supported while continuing her work, she wouldn't need to change much other than create a publicly available version of her notes for the paper to print. But now it was critically important that she be aware of the others who would be working with her, any one of them could become a hazard to her if they found out too much.

Best to seem upfront at least, don't give anyone any reason to go looking further.

There was a part of her that relished the possible challenge of having to deal with something a little more exciting than the usual simpletons who took one look at an innocent child like face and then paid her no more mind. With so many inquisitive indivudals around she might have to actually work to maintain appearances this time.

Her ears twitched as a brief silence took over the room, she let it extend for a moment before standing and dismissing the illusion that had covered her. As the Stormlight wavered and then collapsed back into her body it briefly illuminated the 14 year olds scrawny form. She'd chosen a cloth cap today and some of her more well made clothes but the shirt and trousers were still of obviously cheap fabric, a washed out blue dye suffusing the fibers. As she appeared her eyes rapidly darted to each individual in the room before scanning each corner with a deeply suspicious look, watching for anyone else who may have hidden as she had.

After seeing no other ripples of disturbed Illumination, Whisper gave a brief nod of satisfaction to herself then matched her gaze with the others present and giving them another nod of her head in greeting.

24 minutes ago, Arlin said:

"Well my desk is over there and my chair is... in the break room?." Bell looked back at Acacia quizzically "A Smedry you say, well this is sure to be interesting."   

"I'll certainly try my best," she quipped, and grabbed a pen from a desk. "So you write about the 'spooky stuff' - that's what, murders?" She slid the pen's ink cartridge into a pocket and replaced the pen. "Or is it reports of the supernatural? It seems you've got a lot of that around here."

Even as she said that, something flickered in the corner of her eye, and she jumped when a young girl suddenly appeared by the water cooler, staring her in the eye. Acacia bit back a scream, and gestured shakily to the apparition. "Um.. you guys can see her, right?"

@Gears @Voidus

Edited by Rushu42

17 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Even as she said that, something flickered in the corner of her eye, and she jumped when a young girl suddenly appeared by the water cooler, staring her in the eye. Acacia bit back a scream, and gestured shakily to the apparition. "Um.. you guys can see her, right?"

I'm assuming she's actually there and not a hallucination. 

"Yup!" Rathi said. "You didn't tell me this place was haunted!" He walked over to the girl and knelt beside her. "Hello there, small one. What's your name?"