Harmonium - inherent (in)stability?

InfernalSquid

24 minutes ago, InfernalSquid said:

Explanations so far have been "opposing Shards make cool stuff". Any better explanations?

The balance between Ruin and Preservation is extremely delicate and easy to disrupt.  When balances are disrupted the result tends to be violent.

6 hours ago, Karger said:

The balance between Ruin and Preservation is extremely delicate and easy to disrupt.  When balances are disrupted the result tends to be violent.

Specifically, each particle of Harmonium is infused with the conflicting Intents of Ruin and Preservation. So it isnt a chemical reaction like Cesium, but a Spiritual one. Whatever that means.

(also, this is the key difference between Harmonium and an alloy of atium + Lerasium. an alloy would have every other particle flip its Intent, instead)

7 hours ago, InfernalSquid said:

So the Preservation bit is what gives the power, and the Ruin bit is the instability?

What do you mean by 'flipping Intent'? An alloy of Atium / Lerasium should be fairly close to the effects of Harmonium except Allomantically useless, right?

flipping intent in that bit meant that in the alloy there would be alternating particles of atium and lerasium (therefore the intent of the metal would be grid-like instead of homogenous).

also, it's the internal spiritual conflict of those particles that makes it unstable, because ruin and preservation are so exactly opposite.

9 hours ago, InfernalSquid said:

What do you mean by 'flipping Intent'? An alloy of Atium / Lerasium should be fairly close to the effects of Harmonium except Allomantically useless, right?

I dont think so, Im pretty sure we have it confirmed that an alloy of Atium and Lerasium would just make an Atium Misting like any other Lerasium alloy, and I know we have it confirmed that Alloying the two would not create Harmonium:

Questioner

If I were to alloy atium and lerasium, would I get harmonium? Or is harmonium different after the Shards combined?

Brandon Sanderson

It's different after the Shards combined.

Questioner

If I was to take harmonium and separate it out through distillation, would I get lerasium and atium or something that functions similarly?

Brandon Sanderson

No, you would-- It actually has become a different--

Questioner

Can't be split?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. I mean, you could find a way, but you're not going to get it through normal, mechanical means.

Skyward Houston signing (Nov. 19, 2018)

• Chaos locked this topic