ZincAboutIt

9 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

So, if i wanted to get in on this thread, how would I go about this?

You could use something the Ghostbloods are doing, Ene is right. I handled that with Zinc off screen so far, but we could build something for you around it, if it's alright for Zinc.

"You're welcome." She made sure her voice stayed the same, in case he was still looking for a trap. It would be interesting to see how he fared with the assignment. "I have to admit, I suspected, that you'd look at it." She told him and after considering her next words she added. "It's what I would have done. When I lived in the dorms, we all looked for a way to advance, to get a good, beneficial assignment." But he hadn't tried to get into her good graces, which was a nice change. Most tried to.

Althea leaned against a wall while she waited for Corette to sort them all. Not everybody was here yet, although she wasn't even sure if all of them would go on. It was the way of things. Over the time you lost people. She looked at Wes again, wondered if he was one of those they would loose, or if he would stay with them, if he would rise beyond himself.

@I think I am here.

Edited by Sorana

15 hours ago, Sorana said:

Althea leaned against a wall while she waited for Corette to sort them all. Not everybody was here yet, although she wasn't even sure if all of them would go on. It was the way of things. Over the time you lost people. She looked at Wes again, wondered if he was one of those they would loose, or if he would stay with them, if he would rise beyond himself.

“You lived in the dorms?” Wes asked. Immediately his eyes widened and cupped is freehand over his mouth. Such a straightforward question, no way to speak to a superior. Not only that, but the Righthand. He was getting too comfortable. Bad stuff always happened when he thought he was comfortable.

But the thought remained. Of course, the Righthand had lived in dorms, looked for assignments. Had been an underling at one point, just like Wes. Had got promoted, just like Wes. Continued getting promoted until she led most things.

It was a weird thought, to imagine someone who had such casual authority, in every action, would be an underling once. What was she like, then? Like Wes? No, underlings like Wes weren’t the ones who ruled the Ghostbloods in the end. It was the underlings like Mike. The leader.

“Sorry. Stupid question,” he said quietly, and mimicked her action when she leaned against the wall. “Of course you did.” No one joined the Ghostbloods already a Righthand.

8 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

It was a weird thought, to imagine someone who had such casual authority, in every action, would be an underling once. What was she like, then? Like Wes? No, underlings like Wes weren’t the ones who ruled the Ghostbloods in the end. It was the underlings like Mike. The leader.

“Sorry. Stupid question,” he said quietly, and mimicked her action when she leaned against the wall. “Of course you did.” No one joined the Ghostbloods already a Righthand.

"No, it's not." a smile flickered over her face at the way he clamped a hand over his mouth when he realized that she too, had started in the lower ranks once. "And yes I did. The Ghostbloods basically raised me. Took me in as a child and from then on I lived in the dorms, studied, did what they told me." Until she had gotten promoted. Once, twice, thrice. Again and again until she was council. And then she had been Righthand, leading the organization in the abscence of their leader. Then they had changed their structure a little, moved to Triarchy. Now she was that.

"I don't mind you asking questions, you know." She told him back to the tone she had used with him the whole time. "Not here. This is none of our operations, and additionally, how are you supposed to learn things without asking. I don't grant a reply, but you can ask."

Corette finished walking up and down the line of scouts, checking the order. Some people hadn't lined up yet; she wasn't concerned. If they didn't wish to come, they didn't have to. She moved back towards the Radiant, Althea, and looked at the boy with her. He'd been clever with the tech - that was it. Corette smiled at him, small and amused. She still had yet to crack the security wall on those ACE documents. They were moving closer towards the Well now, and she could use a heads-up on what they might find down there. If it was interesting enough, Matthieu might even give Corette a promotion.

"Let's go," she said. "These caverns aren't going to map themselves." Then, Corette hoisted her pack onto her back, flicked on her headlamp, and started down the tunnel.

@Sorana @I think I am here. @ElephantEarwax @Rushu42 @I ♥️ Rashek @kenod @scouting group

Wes nodded, walked after Correte, towards the rest of the tunnels, and whatever wonders laid beyond. Another Kalea? Wes wondered if his own Kalea had a family. But it seemed happy enough nibbling on its mushroom, so Wes continued to carry it, in its cage, as he walked.

He could ask questions, the Righthand had said. She told him, she’d been raised by the Ghostbloods. Just like Wes. Wes wondered what it was that he was here to learn in these caves, and tried to think of a question. It was hard, very hard to come with anything. The behaviour to not ask questions, just to follow orders was so ingrained in his mind.

“What... what did you study?” Wes asked. It seemed interesting, but it made sense, of course the Righthand would have had a speciality before she got her role. But what was it? Machinery, weapons? Monsters?

“And what are ‘abominations’?” He asked suddenly, the question coming into his mind. “Are they as scary as they sound?”

19 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Corette finished walking up and down the line of scouts, checking the order. Some people hadn't lined up yet; she wasn't concerned. If they didn't wish to come, they didn't have to. She moved back towards the Radiant, Althea, and looked at the boy with her. He'd been clever with the tech - that was it. Corette smiled at him, small and amused. She still had yet to crack the security wall on those ACE documents. They were moving closer towards the Well now, and she could use a heads-up on what they might find down there. If it was interesting enough, Matthieu might even give Corette a promotion.

"Let's go," she said. "These caverns aren't going to map themselves." Then, Corette hoisted her pack onto her back, flicked on her headlamp, and started down the tunnel.

@Sorana @I think I am here. @ElephantEarwax @Rushu42 @I ♥️ Rashek @kenod @scouting group

Going down the tunnel, Adren's mind began to wander, staring at the stone walls. "The stone here almost has veins..." he mumbled to no one in particular, he drags his fingers across the grain of the wall, feeling the layers of rock.

16 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

“What... what did you study?” Wes asked. It seemed interesting, but it made sense, of course the Righthand would have had a speciality before she got her role. But what was it? Machinery, weapons? Monsters?

“And what are ‘abominations’?” He asked suddenly, the question coming into his mind. “Are they as scary as they sound?”

"Investiture" Althea followed him towards the tunnels. "I spend years upon years studying Investiture, the different kinds, how to use it, how to conter it." She hesitated at his next question. Abominations. There were many answers to that questions and few of them were short and easy. For a while she continued to walk, considered her next words carefully.

"I would say, yes." She finally started. "They are as scary as they sound and they are even more dangerous." That was a bit vague so she went on, tried to cover the whole complex topic within a few sentences that made sense in the end and were useful to someone with his base of knowledge. "There are so many types of different ones, and I am sure, that I could name or describe only a very, very small percentage of them, that it hard to talk about them in general. In the end the safest way is to assume that one is about to kill you, that it has the means to do so and that you should get rid of it, or flee as soon as possible." They were also fascinating, the way how they worked, that they worked at all usually the result of a brilliant mind.

Wes paled when she hesitated, paused on his question about abominations, and for a second he thought he’d said something wrong. He paled even further when she answered, told him their danger, how it was safest to assume one could kill him without breaking a sweat. So, the stories of what they did in those HQ labs were true.

“But, we haven’t used abominations in a while, have we?” Wes asked. Supposedly it was to be prepared for war, but even in the invasion they hadn’t used abominations. “I’ve never seen our abominations up and in the open. Maybe that is a good thing?”

13 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Wes paled when she hesitated, paused on his question about abominations, and for a second he thought he’d said something wrong. He paled even further when she answered, told him their danger, how it was safest to assume one could kill him without breaking a sweat. So, the stories of what they did in those HQ labs were true.

“But, we haven’t used abominations in a while, have we?” Wes asked. Supposedly it was to be prepared for war, but even in the invasion they hadn’t used abominations. “I’ve never seen our abominations up and in the open. Maybe that is a good thing?”

"It is a good thing. And you don't miss out on something, if you never do." She nodded in agreement, looked around at the tunnel. Like veins. Adrens words had some merrit, the stone looked as if it belondged to a larger body. The thought fascinated her and she touched the cool wall, felt the moisture beneath her fingers. Gently she reached out for the spren and was nearly disappointed when she found it to be a normal spren. Nothing like the wall painting she had seen yesterday.

"I try not to use them." She added remembering his other questions. "I believe that there are solutions to conflict but brute forces and creatures that have a tendcy to do as they please." But in the end, if it came down to it, she would use what she had. And she still had whole departments trying to figure out more, without being sure how much good they might do. There was always something stronger, somebody who knew more. But if you stopped. Nothing was worse than stopping. The more they knew, the better they could use their knowledge to protect what was theirs. Sometimes she pictured to destroy them all, but then they were utterly defenseless. The last few times, threats had come from the outside, not the inside, but in the end, you never knew. Alleycity had been peaceful the last months, but she could remember times when you had to weary of those belonging to another guild.

She looked at the boy tried to think of something to keep the conversation alive. Falling silent would easily be awkward, and given his behaviour so far she doubted that she could ask the real interesting questions. "Would you like to know more about Investiture?" She finally asked. "You know your way around technical devices, maybe you could find a way to combine both."

On 11/16/2019 at 9:00 PM, AonEne said:

“Oh,” Myriad said, surprised. “Sure.” She’d been behind on all the wonderful discoveries so far; one of the last to enter the mushroom cave, sitting aimlessly while the worm rampaged. If she was going to find interesting things for the Scholar’s Guild and learn about the world, she had to step up her game. 

"Perfect!" She dragged Myriad down the tunnel, leaving the rest of the scouting group behind. They walked for a time, talking vaguely about Epic powers, until they came to a split in the tunnel. "You continue on, I'll start looking around this turn-off. Sound good?"

@AonEne

On 11/16/2019 at 1:24 PM, ZincAboutIt said:

"Let's go on ahead," she said. "We can always collect a sample of this moss for R&D on our way back."

"Maybe a sample of the shoes, too, hmmm? Would probably taste better than some of the food I've had here!" Okame laughed. "Lead the way, then, O Cave Exploress."

@ZincAboutIt

15 hours ago, Invocation said:

They walked for a time, talking vaguely about Epic powers, until they came to a split in the tunnel. "You continue on, I'll start looking around this turn-off. Sound good?” 

“Fine with me,” Myriad said with a shrug. Their conversation had been extremely helpful. She nodded in thanks at Eos, then began walking down the tunnel again, idly tapping a fingernail on the wall. There was so much she didn’t know in this world, so many secrets built into a past as flavorful as a lemon. She had the feeling that she could study the Alleyverse and the planets its citizens hailed from for the rest of time and never get close to knowing it all. She wasn’t meant for studying, anyway; she wanted to teach. To assist others in learning. 

After a few minutes, the tunnel started widening. Myriad ran her hand along the stone, tapping one nail steadily, automatically falling into a beat before stopping and pressing her fingers hard against the wall to stop them. That was not a habit she had; it was muscle memory. Myriad herself had never been very musical. She got moving again, hands at her sides. 

She started seeing a glow ahead, faintly shading the tunnel, and sped up with a smile. Her breathing and heartbeat were loud in her ears from excitement. She was about to see something that it was possible no one had ever seen before. One last corner, and there it was. 

The mirror cavern wasn’t as big as Keep Venture or the cave that everyone was resting in now, but it was bigger than the mushroom chamber, and more beautiful than anywhere else they’d been so far. Prettier than even the glistening mosses. Crystals jutted from the floor, ran in smoky rivulets embedded into the walls, throwing out prismatic light to bounce and dance on any surface untouched by the spiky growths. Some emitted a calming white light, while other shone green. Some were clouded like the sky in a storm, others clearer than a puppy’s conscience. 

In the center of her view was a stalactite, enormous and majestic and almost sweeping the floor, with something dull white sketched over it, an outline with a lot of holes. On close inspection, she realized it was the skeleton of a large snake, crawling down the spire, weaving through a thicket of crystals that glowed brightly, with the head facing the passageway she’d emerged from and the jaw bones open. The fangs were a sharp warning. 

Myriad’s first steps into the area were supposed to be soft. She wanted to revel in this, take it in. But they boomed, and she gasped, hands flying to her ears. The gasp was painful too, echoing away into nothing only after blasting through her head. And as soon as she had taken those steps, the pretty light had erupted into something blistering and overwhelming, outdoing everything else in the cave, each glow vying to attack her eyes the most.

Her heartbeat now stuttered, much louder than before, and the still air on her skin became vicious somehow. It whipped around her as though there was someone else in the chamber, and a speck of Myriad thought to wonder if Eos has followed her in, but most of her was enthralled with registering the thump of her knees into the ground - normally easy to ignore, it was now a sensation that stuck with her, unavoidable. She’d been literally knocked down with the force of every sense she had turned against her at once. 

And then there was something slamming into her head in a rush of agony, and then the light and sound bothered her no more. 

Invo, are you going to RP NPCs, or should I just go for it? 

3 minutes ago, AonEne said:

I'm down to RP some NPCs doing their thing. If you'll write Myriad waking up in a new location (I was thinking the branching point of the turnoff to the Well cavern), I can get going with the NPC stuff.

Alternatively, I could just write it all myself if you'd prefer.

Edited by Invocation

Karin slowly woke up at the bottom of the hot spring, stretching out and yawning, something which immediately earned her a lung full of water. She quickly paddled up to the surface, taking care to get rid of the water before she reached the surface to prevent drenching anyone she talked to. Standing on the shore she wondered how long she had slept, and looked around for the others. She hadn't intended to fall asleep there after all, but the water was just too comfortable. Still, she hoped she hadn't overslept. The base-camp still seemed to be there, so it couldn't have been that long, and besides, the others would have woken her before moving on, right?

Still, when she looked around she didn't find anyone. "Ah, verdorie," she muttered, then immediately raised her eyebrows in surprise. It had been a while since she'd last used that language by accident. Still, she didn't have any time to waste. She quickly ran to her pack, and deployed her curtain. A minute later it vanished, and Karin emerged fully dressed. She quickly went to one of the other expedition members, and asked them where the others had gone to. He pointed in the direction they had gone to, and she quickly started running in that direction, hoping they weren't too far away.

On 20/11/2019 at 10:42 PM, Sorana said:

“Would you like to know more about Investiture?" She finally asked. "You know your way around technical devices, maybe you could find a way to combine both."

Wes looked up from the silence, nodded.

“Like fabrials,” he said. “That’s a combination.”

And confusing. The things that made sense were the machines of metal, and screws, and electronic chips. Fabrials were weird, with their gemstones and magic. “Did you have some books to recommend?” He asked, unsure what she meant when she asked him if he wanted to know more about Investiture.

“I’m always ready to learn more,” he said, looking ahead at the caves. It had made the teachers feel like they could dump more work on him, and certainly hadn’t increased any friendships with students. But, he’d always had his knowledge. Gears and dogs never abandoned you. But Wes had more, he had a crew. Mike, Seom.

But what if they left, replaced him? Well, then he’d always have the gears and the cogs, still.

12 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“I’m always ready to learn more,” he said, looking ahead at the caves. It had made the teachers feel like they could dump more work on him, and certainly hadn’t increased any friendships with students. But, he’d always had his knowledge. Gears and dogs never abandoned you. But Wes had more, he had a crew. Mike, Seom.

But what if they left, replaced him? Well, then he’d always have the gears and the cogs, still.

"I was more thinking of a rotation. You could take a look at that department, see where you might find some knowledge you might benefit from and study it for a while." She explained and then added. "But there are a lot of good books on the topic, so if you prefer reading, that can be easily organized."

Althea observed two members of the expedition pick up some speed, but she was fine with her slower one for the moment. There was no need to hurry. Whatever they found, it would still be there in a few minutes. And if it wasn't, then it wasn't. She was nearly surprised by her own calm, but it felt good, so good that for once not everything rested on her shoulder's but on someone else's. She would keep her eyes open and the rest would sort itself at one point or the other.

Can we arrive in the cave without destroying something, or do you tell us, when we can?

@Invocation

Eos meandered back up the tunnel from where she was scouting, approaching the fork that she and Myriad had separated at, a small ball of light allowing her to see what was directly around her. 

Tap...tap...tap...

That was odd. She hadn't remembered there being water at this fork before. And what was that smell? It smelled like pennies...copper. It smelled like copper. 

Blood. 

"Sparks," she muttered. "I hope I didn't lead her into trouble." She continued walking forward, the tapping sound growing steadily louder even in the tunnel acoustics. Splash. She looked down at her shoe. There it was. The blood. A pool of it, spreading out from the wall...where Myriad was pinned, a message written above her head.

Leave the mirrors alone.

The...the mirrors? What did you find, Myriad? And who did this to you?

There was nothing she could do, though. Myriad had been dead for long enough to have bled a puddle. It was far too late to help. Eos turned and ran back down the tunnel, grabbing the first person she saw in the main group, which happened to be Corette, by the shoulders. "Myriad's dead. There's a message. Fork in the tunnels."  

@ZincAboutIt

Edited by Invocation