ZincAboutIt

6 hours ago, ElephantEarwax said:

Taking the bag of mushrooms out of his bad and handing Althea a mushroom, carefully, so as to not let any of the spores leave the bag airborne. "Here you go" he said. 

Hesitating as he reached to put the bag back into his backpack, Adren called out to no one in particular, "Anyone need some shrooms, they're so potent they'll knock you out."

Althea thanked him with a quick nod and then carefully placed a little bit of the mushroom into the cage. The Kalea moved towards the mushroom curiously, started to nibble at it, without showing any effects of grown tired. "Interesting." She said more to herself and took out a device, started to take some pictures of the Kalea and it's abilities so far.

Noting Wes smile when he saw the creature she pushed the cage over to him. "We named it Kalea. It's a little Seeker." She saw how the smile vanished quickly, as soon as he noticed and the sight hurt. She wondered when she had smiled the last time around strangers, knew that she hadn't shown a single sign of her delight and the discoveries so far, neither to Adren nor to Karin. She had hidden all of it, just like the boy tried to do.

I didn't see that kind of tech, no. Althea looked back at the boy. Could you run a quick search over an Underling names Wes? She send him a picture to go with her words. I'd like to know what we've got in our database about him.

"Adren, this is Wes. Wes, meet Adren." She introduced the two and gestured for Wes to sit down as well.

5 hours ago, Sorana said:

Noting Wes smile when he saw the creature she pushed the cage over to him. "We named it Kalea. It's a little Seeker." She saw how the smile vanished quickly, as soon as he noticed and the sight hurt. She wondered when she had smiled the last time around strangers, knew that she hadn't shown a single sign of her delight and the discoveries so far, neither to Adren nor to Karin. She had hidden all of it, just like the boy tried to do.

"Adren, this is Wes. Wes, meet Adren." She introduced the two and gestured for Wes to sit down as well.

Wes sat down, reaching a hand to touch the cage lightly. A little Seeker, that was amazing. That the animals here could replicate Allomancy. Just like the worm, he realised, but this was different. He tilted his head, tried to look into the Kalea’s small, dark eyes as it nibbled on the mushroom.

“Hi, Adren,” Wes said in response to the introduction and looked to the man, waving a little bit. He gestured to the Kalea. “It’s interesting.” And a little cute, he added silently, looking at the small animal again, but it was best to keep opinions professional, wasn’t it? “I don’t think I’ve ever seen an animal like it before.”

—-

5 hours ago, Sorana said:

I didn't see that kind of tech, no. Althea looked back at the boy. Could you run a quick search over an Underling names Wes? She send him a picture to go with her words. I'd like to know what we've got in our database about him.

Alright, Max said, leaning back in his chair and slipping out his Ghostblood console. It was old, and a thin layer of dust covered the screen. Since he had become one of the Canton leaders he had been going to the Ghostbloods less and less. He’d left behind the blind idolisation and had gone his way. Still, being a member had its perks.

Searching through the various profiles with the name ‘Wes’, Max scrolled down until he found that matched the image she sent him. Clicking on it Max found he was curious as well. It wasn’t everyday Althea was interested about some random underling.

He chose the engineering pathway, he said after a while of reading. Pretty average in all other things. Never broke a rule since he was apparently ‘disciplined’ by Mr. Itiah. Oh, this is interesting, he’s part of some ‘Guns N’ Roses’ underling crew. They did stuff during the Invasion, botched an assassination though. Doesn’t seem to have much of a social circle beyond them, and it says he was recruited and raised in the dorms for pretty much his whole life. He’s also got his GB tattoo on his ankle, and that’s about it for what it says on him. The profile was pretty large considering it was just an underling, though Max was sure higher ranked GBs would have access to more information.

Why?

Because he's here. She considered the information, it was pretty vague, she knew when she ran the search herself she would end up with a lot more, but not while he was sitting next to her. And he's scared. I was mostly curious if there is a reason for that, or if he simply is that type of person. And he reminded her of herself, back when she was still nothing more but an Underling. The fear, how he never met her eyes, how he hid his smile, that he grew up in the dorms. Just like herself.

"Me neither." she agreed and looked at him, at the way how he extended his hand towards the Kalea. No social contacts apart from his squad. She finally could place him then, knew why his face had seemed familiar in the first place. Back in the last war, on the roof. It had been that squad, that had come to support them against the robot-soldiers. He had been the one to build that EMP. "It's yours, if you want to keep it." She gently pushed the cage over to him completely. "I can't tell you how well it will fare outside of this cave, but should its behaviours change, it's interesting as well."

@I think I am here.

Edited by Sorana

8 hours ago, Sorana said:

"It's yours, if you want to keep it." She gently pushed the cage over to him completely. "I can't tell you how well it will fare outside of this cave, but should its behaviours change, it's interesting as well."

Wes stuttered, looking at the Kalea and back to the Righthand. The Righthand, just handing him over an animal. Was this another test? Quickly he glanced to Adren, was he an assessor in disguise? Ready with a consequence in hand no matter what Wes did? After all, they had seen how he’d looked at the Kalea.

“You, you don’t want to keep it for research?” He asked, looking back to Althea. Slowly he rested his hand on the cage and the Kalea scurried up to it, sniffing it through the metal bars. It was so cute. Wes just wanted to hug it. And they said he could keep it! No, it was some sort of test. To see his ‘restraint’ or some measure of his worth.

Edited by I think I am here.

6 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

“You, you don’t want to keep it for research?” He asked, looking back to Althea. Slowly he rested his hand on the cage and the Kalea scurried up to it, sniffing it through the metal bars. It was so cute. Wes just wanted to hug it. And they said he could keep it! No, it was some sort of test. To see his ‘restraint’ or some measure of his worth.

"Of course." Althea replied calmly. "I need to catch another specimen for Karin, so I can easily catch another one for us to use for research purposes. They are attracked by Investiture, so I doubt it will be hard to get our hands on another one."

He placed his hand on the cage and she suppressed a smile. Still afraid, but offering the Kalea to him had been the right idea. "Judging it's physiology and it's skills, I suspect that this race survives by large numbers, so that they can afford to loose individuals to predators." She explained to reassure him and hoped that this would reassure him that it was no trap. For a moment she wondered if she should mention the dorms, show that she knew about his past and then decided against it.

"I personally think, that you should keep it." Leaning towards him she lowered her voice. "You decided to join an expedition with various members of other guilds without your squad, without anybody knowing." she didn't add anything else. Left the rest unsaid. That maybe he needed a friend that loved him without any conditions. An animal was no spren, but she figured it might serve the same purpose.

Edited by Sorana

On 10/30/2019 at 8:11 PM, ZincAboutIt said:

”Well,” she said, half-joking. “Why don’t you try some? I mean, it could kill you, but there’s nothing a little Stormlight can’t fix, right?”

"You say that like you think I won't," Okame said, grinning. "I absolutely will." To prove his point, he reached out and tore a chunk off, stuffing it in his mouth. He chewed for a couple seconds and swallowed. "Not bad. Could make a decent tea, or a good sauce. Might take some more."

On 10/31/2019 at 0:53 AM, Sorana said:

Althea thanked him with a quick nod and then carefully placed a little bit of the mushroom into the cage. The Kalea moved towards the mushroom curiously, started to nibble at it, without showing any effects of grown tired. "Interesting." She said more to herself and took out a device, started to take some pictures of the Kalea and it's abilities so far.

"Hello Wes, I'm Adren" Offering his hand for a shake. "This is Mercy and Jethro," gesturing with his head to the cleaver and earring.

@Sorana @I think I am here.

On 01/11/2019 at 4:13 AM, Sorana said:

“I personally think, that you should keep it." Leaning towards him she lowered her voice. "You decided to join an expedition with various members of other guilds without your squad, without anybody knowing." she didn't add anything else. Left the rest unsaid. That maybe he needed a friend that loved him without any conditions. An animal was no spren, but she figured it might serve the same purpose.

As she leaned towards him Wes looked down, refocused his glance to the Kalea. She knew his squad, of course he did. She probably had spies everywhere. Nodding Wes pulled the small cage closer to himself, rested it on his lap. “Thanks,” he said quietly, hoped again this wasn’t a test, and looked to Adren.

8 hours ago, ElephantEarwax said:

“Hello Wes, I'm Adren" Offering his hand for a shake. "This is Mercy and Jethro," gesturing with his head to the cleaver and earring.

Wes shook Adren’s hand, paid attention to how he gestured to the cleaver and the earring with a sudden realisation. He had other people, talking to him, voices in his head. Just like Mike. But, he seemed calm about it, had he learnt to control them?

“They... don’t give you any trouble?” He asked, eyes wide. Realising what he was saying he quickly shook his head and looked down. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to be rude. I just have a friend who hears voices, but he doesn’t like them. He can’t control them.” He didn’t know whether it was alright to state Mike’s condition out loud, but if there was anyone to help him, maybe it was this man.

1 hour ago, I think I am here. said:

As she leaned towards him Wes looked down, refocused his glance to the Kalea. She knew his squad, of course he did. She probably had spies everywhere. Nodding Wes pulled the small cage closer to himself, rested it on his lap. “Thanks,” he said quietly, hoped again this wasn’t a test, and looked to Adren.

Wes shook Adren’s hand, paid attention to how he gestured to the cleaver and the earring with a sudden realisation. He had other people, talking to him, voices in his head. Just like Mike. But, he seemed calm about it, had he learnt to control them?

“They... don’t give you any trouble?” He asked, eyes wide. Realising what he was saying he quickly shook his head and looked down. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to be rude. I just have a friend who hears voices, but he doesn’t like them. He can’t control them.” He didn’t know whether it was alright to state Mike’s condition out loud, but if there was anyone to help him, maybe it was this man.

"They don't cause trouble, aside from making commenting on life." Adren replied "They are my friends, from my time learning about breath and awakening" 

"What do you mean we cause trouble by commenting?" Mercy sniped at Adren.

"Probably something like that. Breaking his train of thought." Jethro sighed back at her.

"Jeth's right Mercy." Adren commented quietly to the two of them, then speaking louder to Wes, "As I said that, they tried to figure out what I meant by they cause trouble by commenting. They provide interesting insight to things around. They both have very strong personalities, Jethro, the cleaver, being a grizzled old man, who is tired and wants to sleep. Mercy being a teenage girl with more blood lust than Strifelover."

Satisfied Althea watched Wes finally accept the Kalea and started to unpack her bag while he and Adren started to talk. She'd brought some food, just some bread and cheese, a few fruits, durable things that didn't need a freezer to survive a day, and she placed it in the middle of the three of them. She kept her piece of chocolate cake for herself, but made an inviting gesture towards the rest, unworried about growing hungry. She could always soulcast food should the worst case arrive, and she wasn't stuck here either.

"They are fascinating." She looked at the cleaver again. "Especially the personalities they developped." You would expect for the cleaver to be the aggresive one, but if you took his explanation how they developped their personalities into regard as well, the whole picture looked differently.

The friend Wes had talked about. It had to be someone from his squad and she tried to remember who had been there when they had shown up, but while she could recall their faces, she hadn't really looked at the squad more detailedly, only made sure that they received a promotion, like everybody else who had fought bravely during the invasion. Problems. She took a bite of her cake and then got out her device, wrote a note for herself to take a look at this squad. It wouldn't take up much time, but she felt like someone needed to take a closer look at the situation of them. Habitually she opened her inbox and quickly replied to a few mails, then she forced herself to put it away again. Work would have to wait. She had Zokora to take care of the urgent stuff, and two other members of the Triarchy. She was here to keep her eyes open, not the spend her time writing mails. That was something she could have done at home.

@I think I am here. @ElephantEarwax

9 hours ago, ElephantEarwax said:

"They don't cause trouble, aside from making commenting on life." Adren replied "They are my friends, from my time learning about breath and awakening" 

"What do you mean we cause trouble by commenting?" Mercy sniped at Adren.

"Probably something like that. Breaking his train of thought." Jethro sighed back at her.

"Jeth's right Mercy." Adren commented quietly to the two of them, then speaking louder to Wes, "As I said that, they tried to figure out what I meant by they cause trouble by commenting. They provide interesting insight to things around. They both have very strong personalities, Jethro, the cleaver, being a grizzled old man, who is tired and wants to sleep. Mercy being a teenage girl with more blood lust than Strifelover."

Wes nodded, amazed. “They sound so interesting,” he said, though he knew Mike would probably disagree. Mike didn’t seem to  like the animals. And that meant Wes didn’t like the animals either. Funny, he said to himself. You say you’d help your friend, that you would support him, but as soon as things got tough, as soon as Mr. Itiah was assassinated, you abandoned him. Left for the caves, and haven’t talked to him since. Some ‘friend’ you are.

“They... never try to possess you? Sorry... maybe that was a stupid question.” Wes face-palmed, unsure.

Allri woke up. For a moment, she didn't know where she was, but her memories came back as the fog of sleep cleared. Yesterday-or maybe earlier today, she found it hard to keep track of time without the sun-she'd joined a cave exploration team. Sitting there in her tent, Allri was still half-convinced that it was a dream. So much had happened, she'd been swept up in the events without time to think. It hadn't helped that she'd been completely unprepared for Alleyverse caves. They were nothing like the holes in the ground back on Scadrial.

She changed clothes and headed out. She didn't know if she'd been asleep for ten minutes or ten hours, and the cave looking exactly the same didn't help. The main group had caught up before she slept, and they'd set up a city of tents in ACE green and orange. The colors clashed horribly, and Allri was almost glad to be leaving today. She pitied the poor souls who would have to stay behind and suffer this assault on the senses. They might get to stay here and relax for a few more days in the only known safe place in the cave, and they might know what was coming and be prepared for life-threatening cave traps, and all of a sudden putting up with some clashing colors didn't seem so bad.

Lost in her thoughts, Allri didn't notice the person in front on her until she was almost on top of them.

13 hours ago, Sorana said:

Satisfied Althea watched Wes finally accept the Kalea and started to unpack her bag while he and Adren started to talk. She'd brought some food, just some bread and cheese, a few fruits, durable things that didn't need a freezer to survive a day, and she placed it in the middle of the three of them. She kept her piece of chocolate cake for herself, but made an inviting gesture towards the rest, unworried about growing hungry. She could always soulcast food should the worst case arrive, and she wasn't stuck here either. @ElephantEarwax

12 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

“They... never try to possess you? Sorry... maybe that was a stupid question.” Wes face-palmed, unsure.

"Thank you" Adren said to Althea, taking a piece of bread. Removing some cookies from his bag, he offered them to his companions. 

While holding the bag of cookies out to them, Adren began again. "Its not a stupid question at all Wes, Mercy and Jethro are type IV awakened entities. Like the sword Nightblood. Except they don't eat matter or investiture.They are not just in my head. Similar to how a Spren can speak to its Radiant. You could hear Jethro if you'd like Wes, you too Althea, I offered it before, but we kind of got interrupted by a worm."

"They can become able to hear me?" Jethro questioned Adren.

"Yes, by holding you they can establish a temporary connection, it will fade after a few minutes." Adren mumbled at Jethro. 

"Can they hear me toooooo?" Mercy shot after him.

"They potentially could become able to hear you too, in a similar way, but I  think you may be too strong of a personality at first." Adren mouthed at the earring. 

"What's that supposed to mean? huh!" Mercy said sassy. 

"It means that stuff like that will happen and scare them off." Adren said back to her. 

"Why do you always side with him?" Mercy complained.

@I think I am here. @Sorana

Edited by ElephantEarwax

6 hours ago, ElephantEarwax said:

While holding the bag of cookies out to them, Adren began again. "Its not a stupid question at all Wes, Mercy and Jethro are type IV awakened entities. Like the sword Nightblood. Except they don't eat matter or investiture.They are not just in my head. Similar to how a Spren can speak to its Radiant. You could hear Jethro if you'd like Wes, you too Althea, I offered it before, but we kind of got interrupted by a worm."

Althea politely declined the cookies with a gesture, some things were worth taking a risk, and some things weren't. She took another bite of her chocolate cake, glad that she had found the time to pack some and considered his offer. Talk to his cleaver. She was curious, wanted to give it a try, but the thought to allow the cleaver in, to hear its voice in her head made her skin crawl.

"It can only talk? Nothing more?" She asked carefully, tried to figure out if she could deal with a voice with someone talking when there was no danger of that person, or cleaver in this case, to assume control or to look through her memories.

Laurelai stared aghast as Okame tore a chunk of the moss away, he shoved the faintly glowing moss into his mouth, swallowing it down after a few seconds. Laurelai closed her eyelids for a moment, suppressing the intense urge to roll them at Okame, then opened them up again, staring directly up at the Horneater.

"How in Harmony's name did you manage to survive in the Alleys for this long?" She asked, genuinely a little impressed at either his luck or fortitude. "A little extra warning before you do something incredibly stupid would be appreciated though, at least let us spike you before you kill yourself so those Radiant powers don't go to waste."

Shaking her head she bent to hold the moss surrounding the chunk he'd ripped free. The light continued to pulse through it, seeming stronger in the sections that had been torn but it didn't drip out that she could see. Which meant it wasn't simply a bioluminescent fluid probably. But what was it? What purpose did it serve?

As she watched, the light pulsed again in its regular beat. As it did she saw the tear seemed to pulse physically, not just with the light, bulging out into the gap. As the light faded once more there seemed to be more moss present, as though it had expanded inwards from its edges to fill the gap that had been created by Okame. Another pulse of light hit, causing the same reaction again, shrinking the wound even further.

"Is this a Stormlight circulatory system?" She asked aloud, wondering. "It's healing back up where it was broken. But how in the world would it get a supply down here? Does it create it itself?"

If so this would be a momentous occasion indeed. A living power source for Investiture was not something seen outside of Sel, and even then the Elantrians themselves didn't generate the Investiture, they merely acted as a conduit for the Investiture of the land. Of course it was also possible that she was wrong, either in that this might not be Stormlight, or if it was it might gain it from an external source.
@ZincAboutIt @Invocation

Corette wrung the last bit of dampness from her hair and combed through it with her fingers, standing quietly when she saw the figure of Stancel moving towards her through the mist. The main camp had been settled, and everyone had taken a bit of rest - even Corette. The hot spring had been a glorious surprise, though she hadn't quite managed to get rid of all the glowing violet fungus in her hair. A tiny ribbon of it still peeked out through the rest of her dark hair; she didn't much. Once she was back in the Alleys, she'd find a way to wash it out properly. As it was, she rather liked it.

She smiled slightly as Stancel approached, her hair still somehow neat and perfect in its bun after at least twenty-four hours underground. "Director," she said.

The woman gave Corette a sharp nod, her keen amber eyes moving over the cavern once before coming to rest on Corette again. She seemed a bit troubled, as well she should. Corette had pointed her in the direction of the wall mural a few hours ago, and she had spent the better part of their period of rest trying to analyze it with her scholars. Stancel wouldn't have time to devote much personal attention of the mural, which Corette imagine rather rankled the woman. She seemed the type who wanted to personally ensure everything herself. 

Did you notice? She thought at the woman. Did you notice the missing piece?

Corette hadn't managed to find the other mural, the one Corette suspected predicted the fate of the original team. But she was sure it was here, somewhere. Part of her wanted to stay and search for it, but a larger portion wanted to press onward, down towards The Well. Whatever was down there, it was something worth finding. ACE certainly thought so. Did Stancel know what lay under that redaction in the document cache? What was growing down there, in the darkness?

"You've done good work so far," Stancel said, fixing Corette with the weight of her attention. "I trust your team has found the respite to their liking?"

So formal, Corette thought, but simply nodded. "I'm sure they're eager to press on. So much left to explore, after all."

Something in Stancel's expression seemed to relax a bit. "Excellent," she said. "Yes, that's excellent. I was just coming to let you know that your scouts will need to scout further ahead today. We'll set up a main camp here; as always, be sure to notify me of any developments."

Corette felt her smile widen a bit. "Of course, Director," she said smoothly. "I'll go wake the others." 

Like a wraith, Corette slipped off and disappeared into the warm mist.

----

Lita blinked at Okame as the Horneater ripped a chunk of moss free from a stone and popped it into his mouth, commenting on the flavor profile.

"Well," she said, watching him chew, "I see that sarcasm is utterly lost on you. Duly noted."

Laurelai had knelt down and begun inspecting the moss, her tone shifting from incredulous to excited as she watched the looping light regenerate the hole Okame had torn. Lita listened with half an ear, moving a little deeper into the cave with her Tin as high as she could stand. To her eyes, this cave was one great tangle of electric green light rushing and pulsing in tiny, gleaming rivers. She tried to follow the light, see if it was heading somewhere in particular, but it seemed like Laurelai was right. It looked more like a circulatory system than anything else. The light flowed around like blood through veins, moving through the cavern as a whole instead of towards another destination. Lita was nowhere near the level of Laurelai's scholarly prowess, but even she could admire the possibilities here. If this was indeed naturally-occurring Stormlight, this moss could revolutionize Surgebinding on the Alleyplanet.

And this is only the first cavern. Lita felt her heart beat a little faster at the prospect of even greater treasures, deeper secrets buried further down. There were miles and miles of tunnels down here. What else would they find?

As she continued to step through the cavern, Lita marveled how the light seemed to reach every corner. Anywhere the moss grew, the light followed, flowing out and glowing in rushing arcs. Every corner... except that one. Lita stopped walking for a moment, blinking her eyes and actually lowering her Tin now. All the light was a bit disorienting. As her sight adjusted, Lita could see that, yes, the light from the moss seemed to disappear in one corner of the cave. Something was obscuring it. She stepped forward again, crossing the distance and kneeling down about five feet away; she turned her Tin back up again. This time, the lump of darkness resolved itself, though Lita had a hard time accepting that this was what she was actually seeing. 

It was a pile of... shoes. Just shoes. "What in the Survivor's name..."

Lita picked up a chip of rock and tossed it at the pile, feeling a bit stupid as she did so. What did she think was going to happen? The shoes would jump out and eat her? I've been walking the Alleys too long. When the pile of shoes failed to resolve themselves into an Eldritch horror and consume her soul, Lita moved forward again until she was within arms' length of the pile. She reached out, picking up one shoe at random. It was small, probably a child's shoe. A scuff of dirt marred the side, but other than that, it was new. Lita cocked her head, feeling a tiny drop of unease nestle within her though she couldn't quite say why. She turned, holding the shoe in one hand.

"I thought you said no one else had been down here?" She called towards Okame, then waved the shoe at him. Lita set it down, then picked up another. This one was a man's shoe - the right shoe. Lita looked back at the child's shoe. Also the right one. She frowned, then picked another at total random. Another right shoe, a woman's heel this time. The knot of unease deepened. If there was one thing six months in the DA had taught Lita, it was that there was no such thing as a coincidence. She'd bet her own metal that every single shoe in this pile was the right one. So where were the left ones?

Wrong question, Lita. She began setting the shoes in the pile out in a row, chewing her lip as she did so, thinking. Where are the people?

@Voidus @Invocation

2 hours ago, Voidus said:

"How in Harmony's name did you manage to survive in the Alleys for this long?" She asked, genuinely a little impressed at either his luck or fortitude. "A little extra warning before you do something incredibly stupid would be appreciated though, at least let us spike you before you kill yourself so those Radiant powers don't go to waste."

"I survived by eating the things that threatened me. A strong stomach is a good stomach, and I have the strongest. On the other note, though, if it's Stormlight, it has to be generating it on its own because there's none down here that I can take in, save what I brought for myself."

1 hour ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"Well," she said, watching him chew, "I see that sarcasm is utterly lost on you. Duly noted."

"Sarcasm is a thing of you who cannot get enough air. I have no use of it." Okame frowned at the shoes. "I didn't think anyone had been down here. I haven't seen anyone, or found any remains. I didn't go that deep, of course, but there wasn't any sign of people being down here before."

What would it mean if there had been people down here? Was there truly something worth exploring? Okame hadn't yet believed that these caverns were anything other than the result of this world's oddities, but if there had been people down here before enough to leave shoes in some form of bizarre ritual, what else might there be? Chasmfiends, perhaps? No one tell the Alethi. Maybe even sentient life. He wondered if they had a code of law.

19 hours ago, Sorana said:

Althea politely declined the cookies with a gesture, some things were worth taking a risk, and some things weren't. She took another bite of her chocolate cake, glad that she had found the time to pack some and considered his offer. Talk to his cleaver. She was curious, wanted to give it a try, but the thought to allow the cleaver in, to hear its voice in her head made her skin crawl.

"It can only talk? Nothing more?" She asked carefully, tried to figure out if she could deal with a voice with someone talking when there was no danger of that person, or cleaver in this case, to assume control or to look through her memories.

Taking two cookies out of the bag, Adren puts the rest back in his backpack. "More cookies for me." Adren mumbled through a bite of cookie. Finishing the first cookie Adren sets down the second, 

"To your question, you are partially right. He will speak to you, but he can hear some of what you think, but only  active thoughts that you direct to him. So if you don't want him to hear something you think he won't." Adren said to smiling to Althea. "Although he will hear things you say out loud at any volume when he is near and you have connection."

Edited by ElephantEarwax

So, they were awakened. Not from spikes, then. So they’d be different. A part of Wes wilted at the realisation. This man’s voices were different from Mike’s. Which meant no help, yet. As the Righthand began discussing with Adren about the applications of the voices Wes smiled at the Kalea, holding the cage up a little bit.

I think we’ll be great friends, he thought, and then wondered what it would be like for the little animal to respond.

“That must have taken all lot of time to collect the Breaths and Awaken,” Wes said to Adren. Not one BioChromatic metal entity, but two? It must have cost far more than Wes had beer seen in his life.”