ZincAboutIt

Laurelai dismissed the Forgery as they approached a bend. She was satisfied that it was stable, it seemed likely to be able to hold for almost a day, but if they were about to find something then she trusted her normal self more than a cloistered scholar.

Isn't that what you're becoming anyway? That little voice piped in again. Hiding away in a room of paper, hoping the world never finds you.

Her brow pulled together in a frown once more, but she had no arguments to make and simply tried to ignore the voice as best she could. Analysing her own decisions in life was something that Laurelai usually enjoyed but this was different. Personal. Besides, she wasn't holed up in Records today was she? It had been Lita that had pulled her out, but she had been eager to leave.

Eager for a distraction to forget. The voice whispered.

She gave a slight shake of her head to clear her thoughts then looked ahead at Lita's mention of light around the bend. As Lita had said Laurelai wasn't able to see the light, which meant it was either very dim or very far away. But either way, if the light they were carrying was brighter then they'd be more noticeable to whatever was holding that other light source.

"Back into the dark then?" Laurelai half-asked.

She turned the torchlight off, placing one hand on Lita's shoulder for guidance so she didn't accidentally run into anything. She took a deep breath to still her emotions, Lita would likely already be able to tell enough about her emotional state without a shaking hand on her shoulder, best to try to keep it under control.

3 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Sarah sighed, glancing through the steam at the pools of warm water. It suddenly struck her that she was incredibly grimy. And she had been on her feet all day... 

"Will you be alright for a moment if I take a quick bath?" she said to Fasi. 

@Oduim’s Chmapion

"Yes," Fasi said lost in her thoughts.

Just now, Oduim’s Chmapion said:

"Yes," Fasi said lost in her thoughts.

Sarah walked off to the other side of the cavern. There was a pool half shrouded behind a stalactite. She glanced back at the rest of the group, feeling rather sheepish. If you move fast enough, they won't be able to see anything, she told herself sternly. She rather regretted the use of Bendalloy, but it was cheaper here than it had been on Scadrial, and she had brought plenty. Still, she felt guilty at downing the vial.

As soon as she entered the water, her exhaustion seemed to seep from her into everything around her. She hadn't thought herself to be particularly stressed or tired, but a moment alone in a dark cave apparently contradicted that. The shimmer of the bubble in the corner of her eye reminded her that every second spent was another few dollars of Bendalloy spent, and she hurried to grab her soap. 

She'll be in the bubble for no longer than a couple of minutes, if someone's keeping track for plot purposes.

Fasi looked around at everybody, they were all relaxing and talking jovially. She was obviously not welcome. This always happens, Fasi chided herself, you always get yourself shoved out of the way. Nobody wants you nobody needs you, your just a Rithmitist who can solve some problems. Fasi looked around the room her thoughts growing dark. But even then your useless, Fasi thought. As Fasi looked around she realized something, they did not chose her, they did not welcome her. Her skill as a Rithmitist didn't matter.

Fasi slowly slunk away from the group being careful not to disturb anyone. She started wandering the cavern wondering what was going on. She passed by the mural where she was depicted. As she walked she suddenly heard a voice coming from her right. She couldn't quite make out what it was. Quickly but quitely she with drew a piece of  green chalk and moved forward toward the voice. 

She soon heard the words, they were two distinct voices. "Why are you talking to that thing?" said voice 1. ""It talked to us, it might be friendly." said voice two. With a start Fasi realized that she was hearing herself and Sarah talk at the top of the cliff. What was going on here. 

Then a object came flying towards her. Fasi yelled and jumped out of the way as a flying creature plummeted toward her. She hit the ground and turned. drawing a perfectly straight line of Forbidance where the creature would most likely return from. @Rushu42

Whenever you get the time.

Edited by Oduim’s Chmapion

Laurelai switched off her torch, and the tunnel was suddenly plunged into a far deeper darkness. Lita's highly-sensitive eyes adjusted quickly, the stone around them appearing as it would in twilight - though this light was tinged with green. Laurelai's hand gripped her shoulder in what was surely utter blackness to her eyes, and she moved a little closer as they stepped along. It was almost comical, watching others creep onward blindly while Lita could see quite clearly, but the novelty had long worn off for her. It had been a long time since Lita was victim to utter darkness, but she could imagine well enough. 

"I don't hear anything up ahead," she whispered, ears straining, taking in the tunnel around her. Of course, that wasn't true - Lita heard plenty. Almost too much. But she heard nothing creeping after them, no breath but their own, no skittering or rustling. It was usually easier to say she heard "nothing." 

They continued forward, Okame a silent, looming presence beside their two slender forms. Lita dimmed her Tin as much as safety would allow in order to gauge when the others might also be able to see; the green light was getting brighter, though it was still little more than a watery reflection on a few wet stone surfaces. The sounds of dripping water intensified as they moved down the tunnel, the floor running at a steeper incline now. They descended more rapidly here, though the rock remained relatively even - blessedly. Soon, Lita could see what seemed to be the source of the light around another bend to their right. Dimly glowing green light filtered out, lighting the tunnel enough that Lita was pretty sure even Laurelai could see now.

Lita stopped, her heartbeat picking up a little, and lifted Laurelai's hand from her shoulder. She felt a smile beginning in the corners of her mouth, a seed that sprouted as she stepped softly down the last bit of the tunnel and peered around the edge, catching a glimpse at something that, perhaps, no one had ever seen before.

The cavern was rather small, the ceiling barely fifteen feet high and covered in... Lita took another step forward, almost involuntarily, squinting. What she'd originally taken as stalactites were, in fact, drooping curtains of moss. It covered nearly every surface like emerald curtains, swagged like bunting, bearding the walls and carpeting the floor. Water dripped from the ends of long moss tendrils, which gave off a softly luminous glow. The light almost seemed to pulse, or run like blood through veins, cycling and looping, quick as a rushing river. She looked back into the tunnel, grin wide, and beckoned the other two.

"Now this will be a field report worth quoting."

@Voidus @Invocation 

I don't have any particular plans for this moss or what it does. I do have something I'd like one of them to find though. It can be Lita, or one of the other two. If you want to find it, just tell me and I'll give a brief description. :]

Someone to stand watch. A valid concern, but one she had already given thought. Or rather it was a problem she and Brashen had sorted out years ago. Just as he usually watched her back, he usually watched her while asleep as well. At least when there was the need. "Brashen, my spren, will watch me." She explained and then carefully phrased her next words, so that they were a suggestion and not an order. "If you want to, you can stay close. Then he can have an eye on you while asleep as well." She made sure her tone stayed slightly softer than usual. She didn't really want to scare a kid. Especially not one belonging to her own organization.

"In that case, let's head back?" She adressed them all again and headed towards the camp Adren set up. "I don't plan to bath - so I'll head directly to the camp, try to find a good spot to sleep."

Her eyes lingered on the hot springs for a moment and she decided to take Max to a place like this - but without the dangers. I would be nice to spend some time in the hot water together. And contrasting here, she had no qualms to bath when he was close.

It is a hypothetical situation. She replied to him. So far, they don't attack, so I won't attack. But thank you. I don't really plan to be caught by that fight by surprise.

She looked at the springs for a little longer, then walked the last short part to the camp. Adren was already there, and he really had set up a nice camp. She greeted him with a short nod, reserved a space to sleep in a position that looked more or less even and made sure, that there was enough room for Wes as well, should he decide to accept her offer. Then she sat down to Adren and help up the Kalea.

"Did you see them? It's a little seeker."

@ElephantEarwax

@AonEne @I think I am here. @kenod

Correct me if I’m wrong about the main expedition. 

Myriad stayed silent when Althea made suggestions, glancing away when she studied the wall again. Now that it had been brought up, she was a bit tired; but sleeping had been a waste of time for the past several years. She’d done it for fun, but there was never any need otherwise to be in a body while it slept. Her eyes landed on the main group, which was settling in. There has to be someone in there who’s rested. None of them would have been in the hot springs yet, though, and she definitely wanted to experience it for herself, anyway. 

So I take one of them and go in the hot springs? A man, probably, they’re usually less embarrassed to be naked. Easier experience for them afterward, when they don’t remember it. But what would she do with this woman? People had spoken to Myriad as this, would know her face. If the woman she’d brought down here started walking around blankly, talking about having lost time and never joining ACE, complications would ensue. 

She could tie herself up, perhaps. It would have to be relatively close to the main group, so she could get to one of them and obtain control. Her only method of travel outside of a body was stupidly slow, so she’d have to be close enough for that, yet far enough away that they wouldn’t discover her tied up or unconscious. Though Myriad wasn’t sure if she would be able to separate herself from the body anyway. Without another source of warmth right there, and a straight shot - Bolting from one to the other - an alive person could be too enticing for her instincts to let her let go. 

She could always kill her. But again there was the problem of distance. Dying in the middle of the camp from suicide was an even worse idea than incapacitating the woman. 

There’s no real need to switch anyway, she told herself with a sigh. This is a body you can talk to people as yourself in, and that will get you more information for the guild later. That’s why you first offered to come down here. That and the general lack of cars. 

She strolled over to the edge of the steaming water and gave it a hopeful look, placing a hand within. Mmmm. Taking off her coveralls, Myriad kept on the clothes underneath and slipped in the water with them. She’d seen others wearing only the coveralls, having changed completely, so she figured she could always wear them while this set dried. 

The water was gloriously warm, something Myriad would never, ever complain about. Her clothes were heavy on her, but it was more polite to wear them than to go in without. Being wet woke her up a little, and not having a tracker on her was its own special type of freedom. 

This was nice. 

Just now, Invocation said:

The barrier for a Line of Forbiddance depends on how thick the line is. More thickness, more height. Theoretically, it could work.

Ok, Green is one of her thickest chalks, about the sidewalk chalk size, while blue is her smallest, normal classroom chalk, with purple being in the middle.

Karin looked around, thinking about how she could switch to a better outfit for the hot spring. Eventually she shrugged. It wasn't as if there were many people around at her current location, and they all knew about her abilities. Taking off her shoes she tapped her foot on the ground and a number of tendrils shot out, coming together into a circle around her. Immediately a thin wall grew from it, forming a dome around her. A few minutes later the dome collapsed again, tendrils retreating back into Karin's body. She stood in the center, holding her old clothes and backpack in her arms, everything folded up nicely, and instead she was wearing her standard dress.

She quickly walked down to the hot spring, looking forwards to a proper bath. She put down her backpack at a safe distance and then lowered herself into the water, sighing in joy. She ignored the other people in the water and instead moved to the deeper center of the pool. Once she got to a point where she had to thread water to stay above the surface she expelled all the air from her lungs and let herself sink down to the bottom, sitting down. She stretched out and relaxed, looking upwards at the ceiling of the cave, enjoying the silence and the warmth.

17 hours ago, Sorana said:

She looked at the springs for a little longer, then walked the last short part to the camp. Adren was already there, and he really had set up a nice camp. She greeted him with a short nod, reserved a space to sleep in a position that looked more or less even and made sure, that there was enough room for Wes as well, should he decide to accept her offer. Then she sat down to Adren and help up the Kalea.

"Did you see them? It's a little seeker."

"I saw a glimpse of them, but was ready to wash my hands from the worm and the cold water. and ended up setting camp." Adren iterated. "Could they be useful for the trip, or maybe a zoo."  

"I brought some of the mushrooms if you want to keep one a little more safely, although I suppose you would be able to heal from nips"

Edited by ElephantEarwax

On 10/25/2019 at 8:44 PM, Invocation said:

A campfire's crackling might normally have been calming to Malu, but all he could think now was how loud it sounded, and how much of a beacon it was in the darkness for whatever else was out there. He was also exceptionally aware of his time limit. It couldn't be that long before it was time again, and then what would happen? He'd feel guilty if something happened to Nekorb from his other side. He had to find a way out. "I'm going looking for an exit. You should stay here, in case something happens to me. No need for both of us to get eaten at once, yes?"

@xinoehp512

"Yeah," said Nekorb, staring into the fire. "That would be... that would be bad."

Of course, if Malu got eaten Nekorb probably wouldn't long survive him. He hadn't seen much evidence of Malu's abilities so far, but he felt confident they would be more useful at insuring their survival than Nekorb's would.

A part of him felt guilty at letting his partner run into danger alone. But Nekorb had no intention of running into a potentially fatal unknown. 

57 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

"Yeah," said Nekorb, staring into the fire. "That would be... that would be bad."

Of course, if Malu got eaten Nekorb probably wouldn't long survive him. He hadn't seen much evidence of Malu's abilities so far, but he felt confident they would be more useful at insuring their survival than Nekorb's would.

A part of him felt guilty at letting his partner run into danger alone. But Nekorb had no intention of running into a potentially fatal unknown. 

Malu stood and clapped Nekorb on the shoulder. "I'll do my best to come back. But if I don't...I'm sorry." He strode off, out of the firelight. 

And what he found there...

isn't of relevance to the rest of this thread so I'm going to skip it. Probably better this way.

An hour and a half later, Malu had circled back around to the campfire for a quick pit stop. "There's another tunnel back there. It goes somewhere. I don't know where, I don't even know how deep it goes or to where, but it does indeed go somewhere. That's our way out. You can take it whenever you want, but I have more to explore down here. There's some truly fascinating things to find." Having said his bit, he jogged back off into the unseen.

1 minute ago, Invocation said:

Malu stood and clapped Nekorb on the shoulder. "I'll do my best to come back. But if I don't...I'm sorry." He strode off, out of the firelight. 

And what he found there...

An hour and a half later, Malu had circled back around to the campfire for a quick pit stop. "There's another tunnel back there. It goes somewhere. I don't know where, I don't even know how deep it goes or to where, but it does indeed go somewhere. That's our way out. You can take it whenever you want, but I have more to explore down here. There's some truly fascinating things to find." Having said his bit, he jogged back off into the unseen.

Nekorb looked up, puzzled. "What do you mean?"

Silence.

He got to his feet cautiously. "Malu...? What did you mean?"

His voice was swallowed by the darkness.

Walking through the pitch-dark tunnel with only her tenuous grasp on Lita to guide her was certainly not the most comfortable experience Laurelai had had. She'd lost count of the number of times she'd felt her stomach somersault when she expected the ground to be higher than it was and lurched forward. Worse was that she still needed to try to be quiet. There would be no hiding from Lita's tin-enhanced hearing but unless they were very unlucky it was unlikely that they'd find anything else with quite so keen senses.

Wondering around the dark? Blindly holding your hand out and trusting that the person you follow will keep you safe? What a lovely metaphor for the last few years of life.

Laurelai struggled to shake the voice, the lack of anything else to focus on didn't help, but she was thankfully long accustomed to walking in the dark so at least she didn't have to contend with her own internal fears as well as the voice.

Now you're just lying to yourself. Not scared? Of course you are.

She clenched her jaw, refusing to react. She would not let her own mind rile her up like this. She was a Forger, if anyone could be used to reconciling discordant thoughts in their own brain it should be her.

A sudden touch on her hands caused her to flinch before she realised it was just Lita. A second later she realised that she could see again, the light that Lita had mentioned surrounded them in a dim glow that wasn't quite enough to read by but it would at least stop her from running into a wall or tripping over the ground. Lita moved a little further ahead, looking around the last bend to find whatever the light source was and then beckoning back to the other two.

Laurelai raised a brow in curiosity at Lita's excited grin. With the light present again she managed to keep a handle on her expressions, the voice wasn't as distracting now and she could focus on the surroundings. Rounding the corner she followed Lita's gaze to see the interior of a small cavern, covered in a soft glow that seemed to pulsate oddly. Laurelai stared at it the cavern and at first couldn't quite make sense of it, but then her perception shifted slightly and she realised that the entire cavern was covered in a layer of plant matter. Some kind of moss that coated the surface of the rock and gave a slight glow that pulsated along paths too complex to follow, like a circulatory system of light.

"Wow." She whispered, eyes wide. "Well you certainly don't see that every day."
@Invocation @ZincAboutIt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whisper pulled herself away from the drawings, watching from a distance as other spoke about them, ran some tests. Her eyes flickered from one part of the painting to the next, trying to draw some conclusions about how something like this may have come about. She had a few guesses, but there was no way to confirm them for now. So with a faint smile touching her lips, she made her way back to where most of the scouts had gathered to wait for the main expedition to arrive. It seemed that they'd be resting up here for a while, some people had already begun picking out spots to lie down or sit against the stone trees. A couple had even fallen asleep already from the look of it.

Whisper felt her smile widen as she noticed one figure among those who already had their eyes closed.  Kemmeth someone had called him, she'd noticed him earlier, he was one of those who had already been on edge, he'd been nearby when that worm-creature had attacked and had to scramble his way back to avoid getting eaten. Since then he'd trailed near the back of the scouts, watching for other people to move through an area before he followed.

Whisper forced the muscles in her cheeks to relax, letting her smile drop back into a neutral expression. She walked through the makeshift camp and found where the supplies had been gathered, stepping up to a pile of thin blankets she pulled a few from the top and began carrying them back. She handed a two out to people who looked like they were settling down, receiving grateful words in return. Stepping next to some of the figures that had already fallen asleep she unfolded the blankets and gently dropped them onto the sleeping figures. While unfolding each blanket she used the movement to hide the little puffs of Stormlight that she fed to each of them. Some of those who were sleeping seemed to rouse as they felt the blankets settle on them, but most were too stressed and tired to even do that.

Humming quietly to herself, Whisper draped the final blanket over the unconscious Kemmeth, still keeping her expression neutral as she spent a moment longer than she had on the others, ensuring that one section of the blanket was positioned closer to his ear as his head drooped back into sleep. A few of the other scouts gave her warm looks and expressed their thanks as she made her way towards one of the trees that hadn't been claimed. Sitting down next to it she leaned back onto it, pulled out a notebook and pen and began writing.

It didn't take long for everyone to turn back to what they had already been doing, some returning to conversations or games, those who had been resting drifted off once more, and Whisper was overlooked as her pen darted across pages. The few who looked on likely assumed she was simply filling in a journal, or some kind of research notes perhaps, which wasn't exactly far from the truth, but the strange symbols she confidently scrawled would not have been recognisable to any present, and the contents was not what most would imagine.

These caves prove quite a useful environment, darkness as always is helpful in inducing some primal instincts of panic but more than that is the nature of what has been discovered. Some at least already suspect ACE of having ulterior motives, and while the suspicions between the scouts themselves haven't become too overt it likely wouldn't take much. The DA is always distrusted, and if one of the leaders of the Ghostbloods herself is down here with us then some have got to be wondering why. There were some small issues, another denizen in the group, it seems that she won't interfere if left alone but it does mean one fewer option down here. I didn't think I'd be able to get everyone anyway but I do apologise for failing in one so early on. I hope that those I've found who are more suitable will satisfy for now, some of them may take another day but there's one at least who may be ready sooner.

Looking up from the page of symbols that seemed to connect in ways that made no geometric sense, Whisper watched Kemmeth turn in his sleep, an uncomfortable expression twisting his face before he settled again.

I left him a little lullaby, if he's receptive it should do the trick by the time he wakes. I know it's been almost two decades, but soon you'll have enough won't you? Enough to come back to us? Enough to drag the world back into the depths with you?

Whisper closed the book with a soft clap as she finished writing, she took a moment to close her eyes, holding the book to her chest and hoping that her prayer would be received and that one day she'd be able to receive an answer.

6 hours ago, ElephantEarwax said:

"I saw a glimpse of them, but was ready to wash my hands from the worm and the cold water. and ended up setting camp." Adren iterated. "Could they be useful for the trip, or maybe a zoo."  

"I brought some of the mushrooms if you want to keep one a little more safely, although I suppose you would be able to heal from nips"

"I can heal from nips." She agreed without adding that she could heal lethal wounds as well. She was a Radiant. It was a given in the end. As long as she had some stormlight, she was hard to kill.

Her finger brushed over the glass of the Kalea and she gave a slight shrug. "I don't know if they can be useful, but I like it. Recalling Karin's idea to try to feed the Kalea some mushroom she held out a hand. "A piece of mushroom would be great though. We wanted to see if they are part of this little one's diet."

Wes looked up at the Righthand, resisting the urge to look down again, or to bow. If he wanted to. So, no order, no obligation. Unless this was a test? The thought sent spikes of anxiety through him, but he pushed it aside. No, she wouldn’t do that, test him. Would she? He didn’t know her. But... she had seemed nice. And hadn’t even been harsh when she’d given him the option.

Slowly he nodded, then faster. “I’ll go with you guys,” he said, walking with her as they walked to that animals she had found. It was small. And cute. Wes smiled briefly, and in a moment it was gone again. Smiles were precious things, it was dangerous to have them out too long in a place like this

——-

That’s good. Well, theoretically there should be a midpoint, Max said, writing something about training schedules as he talked to Althea. A midpoint frequency, that affects the enemy but doesn’t kill them. Just able to repel them if they came close, like when you put two magnets of the same end next to each other, so you’d definitely no risk of being attacked, even if you walked right up to them.

He finished his current document with a signature, and moved onto the next. But it would have to be precise really precise, he said. And for some reason I doubt the expedition came ready with that kind of tech. So just a theory for now.

@Sorana

16 hours ago, Sorana said:

"I can heal from nips." She agreed without adding that she could heal lethal wounds as well. She was a Radiant. It was a given in the end. As long as she had some stormlight, she was hard to kill.

Her finger brushed over the glass of the Kalea and she gave a slight shrug. "I don't know if they can be useful, but I like it. Recalling Karin's idea to try to feed the Kalea some mushroom she held out a hand. "A piece of mushroom would be great though. We wanted to see if they are part of this little one's diet."

Taking the bag of mushrooms out of his bad and handing Althea a mushroom, carefully, so as to not let any of the spores leave the bag airborne. "Here you go" he said. 

Hesitating as he reached to put the bag back into his backpack, Adren called out to no one in particular, "Anyone need some shrooms, they're so potent they'll knock you out."

9 hours ago, Invocation said:

"I wonder if it tastes good," Okame said, absentmindedly. He was too busy appreciating the pulsing lightshow to form anything more coherent than that.

Lita stopped walking into the cavern, then turned and gave Okame a skeptical look.

”Well,” she said, half-joking. “Why don’t you try some? I mean, it could kill you, but there’s nothing a little Stormlight can’t fix, right?”

She knelt down in front of a boulder that was covered in the moss, trying not to get too dazzled by the looping, pulsing green light. Lita looked over to Laurelai. 

“What do you think this is?” She pointed to the light.

@Voidus