ZincAboutIt

As Rig tossed a couple coins at her, Allri deflected them easily. For all she knew, Rig could have just thrown those coins without pushing-they moved in steady arcs. Another coin came, and this one was definitely Pushed. Before she could deal with it, she saw three more lines, moving at speed towards her. Three quick pushes dealt with those, but the coin that had gone high was coming down now, and was surprisingly close. Startled, Allri pushed hard, reversing the coin's path. That had been close-half a second more and it would have hit her.

She smiled, even though the practice wasn't over yet. It would get harder, Allri had no doubts about that. Remembering her accident earlier when recovering the coins, she took a step forwards, bracing herself in case she needed to Push hard.

@TrailRunnin

This should be interesting. Whisper thought, watching the small figure of Corette approaching. She'd assumed that the scouting leader would still be ahead with the other, they'd seemed to be getting close, close enough that sticking too close to them would draw attention so she'd been focusing elsewhere in the meantime. But perhaps this would be a good chance to confirm a few suspicions that she'd had.

She returned the smile, keeping hers to the normal polite expression of curiosity, and gave a short flick of her head to push the damp strands from her face. She used the motion to rapidly check to see how much attention they had, but it seemed that most of the others had all separated into their own little groups, no one was paying too much attention here. The smile shifted subtly, mirroring the sly glance that Corette was giving her with a slightly more pronounced quirk of amusement.

Seeker's eyes? Coming from you that's rather flattering.

This time there was no tracing of her finger through the air, a small patch of Stormlight simply drifted out from her to form the words in front of her chest while she angled the rest of her body to hide the communication from any others who might peer over. As soon as she saw Corette's eyes reach the end of the sentence the words dissipated back into Stormlight before reforming again.

Though of course real Seeker's don't need to actually watch in order to find interesting things.

Was that how she'd drawn Corette's attention in the beginning? Detecting the difference between a spiked ability and a natural one was not an easy one from what Whisper knew, even more so for abilities that were outside of the Metallic Arts. But it would explain how she'd been found out so quickly, the only other explanation would be someone had either followed her or seen this disguise before. The former was possible but unlikely, the latter would have meant they'd met before which would mean Whisper should remember as well.

However she'd managed to arouse suspicion, Corette was actively approaching her now, not simply guessing. Once the game was up denying it further would only attract even more attention and put her on the defensive, better to reveal a little and manage to get something in return from the exchange.

And speaking of watching, I notice you managed to stay about as dry as I did. Lord Coinshot miss the catch?

@ZincAboutIt

7 hours ago, Sorana said:

Althea lifted a sphere. "It came, when I placed one of them down on the ground. Maybe it's attracted to light." She mused and looked in the direction where it had vanished. She heard Corette call out something about a wood, and slowly moved in that direction kept her eyes open. Another movement, again towards the forest. Althea stopped, when she could see the mist around the vague forms of the trees, felt the warmth.

"Maybe they live within the trees." She stopped and placed a sphere on the ground, walked a few steps and then put a second one down. They glowed softly from the stormlight trapped within them. She made sure, that both lay close to a boulder, so that she could soulcast the rock into a prison and then she waited.

Her eyes remained with the spheres, although she wished that Brashen was here to keep an eye on her back - but he wasn't. Nothing happened, then suddenly the small furry creature rushed towards one of the spheres and tried to bite into it. Althea reached out for the rock, soulcast it into glass, covered the creature in a aquarium like box and waved Karin over.

@kenod

---.---

Brashen stayed where he was, when one of the humans drew a chalk line on the ground. It hit the wall behind him, smashing a part of the rocks to pieces, but otherwise nothing happened. Of course nothing happened. He was a spren. If he had eyes, he would have rolled them now, these two were so dumb compared to his Althea, but she had asked him to check on them.

"Do you need help?"

He asked and sat down on his rock, his feet dangling in the air.

@Rushu42 @Oduim’s Chmapion

Fasi backed away from the strange creature and drew a like of Forbidance on the ground. Not that it would do much good.

10 hours ago, Sorana said:

Brashen stayed where he was, when one of the humans drew a chalk line on the ground. It hit the wall behind him, smashing a part of the rocks to pieces, but otherwise nothing happened. Of course nothing happened. He was a spren. If he had eyes, he would have rolled them now, these two were so dumb compared to his Althea, but she had asked him to check on them.

"Do you need help?"

He asked and sat down on his rock, his feet dangling in the air.

Sarah jumped again when the creature spoke. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Fasi drawing lines of chalk on the rough stone at their feet. "Um," she said nervously, "maybe? Who are you?"

@Oduim’s Chmapion @Sorana

Corette gave Wes a wry smile. "Lord Coinshot could use a few lessons in manners," she conceded. "Though I've met few people with his level of control over his Steel. A trick like that required more finesse than most could pull off. And he's got plenty of ambition, that hunger - one doesn't need to be a Seeker to tell that much." She shrugged. "Twinborn are quite useful - though perhaps I'm biased."

She tapped her slender Cadmium torque and watched the girl watch her. Wes was a tightly-closed little book, her light eyes sweeping over everything, gauging reactions, expressions, filing it all away. Corette knew that look; she'd been watching the world from the shadows, quiet and still, for years. The stuttering echo that followed each beat of Wes's power was a good hint towards her origins, though a spiked power was hardly uncommon in the Alleycity. Hemalurgy alone meant little.

But the girl's watchful poise, her comfort in the darkness, her apparent fearlessness - those were far more telling. She couldn't have been more than eighteen, and that could be a Lightweaving of its own. For all Corette knew, the girl was younger. Plenty of people got started in a guild young - she should know. Corette had been sixteen. She could still feel the blood on her hand as she stool over the body in the mouth of that alley, counting his meager crysts. She could still recall the quiet, rasping voice that had hissed out from behind her, where moments before there had only been deep shadow and rough brick.

"Good aim" the man had said, then smiled at her. "Are you hungry?"

She sent a pulse of Bronze out around her, checking to see if they were alone. Everyone seemed occupied with their own activities. Corette eyed the girl, still smiling a quiet, personal smile. She was almost positive she'd heard her signature once before - it was just familiar enough. But where? Corette would have recalled the girl if they had met face to face, even if she was under a Lightweaving. A spiked power like hers was unique. So where? A crowd, maybe? Somewhere out in the city? That seemed impossibly unlikely, and even then, a spiked power like this in a crowd would have stood out in bright, flashing lights to her trained Seeker's senses. She'd have had to be somewhere that one spiked power didn't stand out, somewhere it blended into the background. One amongst dozens.

There was only one option, really.

Corette slipped a hand into a small pocket inside her coveralls, thinking. This was a risk, but a minor one; it would either work, or it wouldn't. Either way, she'd know. She withdrew her hand from the pocket, clutching a little pen and notepad between her fingers. As though she were merely fidgeting, considering what to note down, Corette gave the pen a little twirl.

Care to have a more candid chat?

@Voidus

1 hour ago, Rushu42 said:

Sarah jumped again when the creature spoke. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Fasi drawing lines of chalk on the rough stone at their feet. "Um," she said nervously, "maybe? Who are you?"

"Why are you talking to that thing," Fasi hissed. 

14 hours ago, Sorana said:

Althea lifted a sphere. "It came, when I placed one of them down on the ground. Maybe it's attracted to light." She mused and looked in the direction where it had vanished. She heard Corette call out something about a wood, and slowly moved in that direction kept her eyes open. Another movement, again towards the forest. Althea stopped, when she could see the mist around the vague forms of the trees, felt the warmth.

"Maybe they live within the trees." She stopped and placed a sphere on the ground, walked a few steps and then put a second one down. They glowed softly from the stormlight trapped within them. She made sure, that both lay close to a boulder, so that she could soulcast the rock into a prison and then she waited.

Her eyes remained with the spheres, although she wished that Brashen was here to keep an eye on her back - but he wasn't. Nothing happened, then suddenly the small furry creature rushed towards one of the spheres and tried to bite into it. Althea reached out for the rock, soulcast it into glass, covered the creature in a aquarium like box and waved Karin over.

Karin quickly moved towards her, eyes fixed on the creature in the box. she knelt down in front of it, excited by how cute it looked. "Aww, just look at how cute it is," she said, smiling at it. "Pity it isn't domesticated," she told Althea, "I'd love to have it as a pet." She crept around the box, examining it. "Hey, shouldn't this thing need some air-holes?" She asked of Althea. She waved her hand in front of the creature, wondering what it would do.

So I guess the creature's reaction mostly depends on if it can differentiate Investure types, and if so, if it has aversions/preferences to certain types. If it's just attracted to Investure signatures, Karin emits a softer signature constantly, so that could draw it's attention, but the signature would be pretty weird, given the nature of her powers, so if it can sense different types of Investure it might act differently to her because of that.

4 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

"It talked to us," she retorted. "It might be friendly." Sarah looked back at it, realizing that they were being rather rude. "Sorry."

@Sorana @Oduim’s Chmapion

Fasi drew another line of forbidance. "Just because it talked don't mean it's friendly," she growled at Sarah.

8 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

"Brashen." He replied slowly, shook his head and then added with a sigh. "Althea send me back to check on you."

He got to his feet and waved at Fasi who drew another useless line. "So do you need help?"

@Oduim’s Chmapion

=========

3 hours ago, kenod said:

Karin quickly moved towards her, eyes fixed on the creature in the box. she knelt down in front of it, excited by how cute it looked. "Aww, just look at how cute it is," she said, smiling at it. "Pity it isn't domesticated," she told Althea, "I'd love to have it as a pet." She crept around the box, examining it. "Hey, shouldn't this thing need some air-holes?" She asked of Althea. She waved her hand in front of the creature, wondering what it would do.

Althea moved her hand over the cage and added smaller holes for air. The gesture was mostly to show off, or rather to indicate that she would do something. She had started it, once she realized that many were startled if she did things without warning them first and gesture fit the general prejudice about mages.

"I'm sure, there will be more of them." She replied and looked around, but saw nothing. "We can catch one for you to keep."

The creature followed Karin's hand with its dark eyes, slowly moved forward towards the glass.

I think it could be interesting if it could differentiate between different forms of investiture. Or at least, that it recognizes if it has something seen before or not.

Leaving the pool, Adren walks back into the room full of glowing rocks. Hunting out more rocks the size of skulls, picking up 6 stones and the pieces he had previously split. Walking up to the flat area above the pools that Corette had indicated, he split the rocks apart and laid them in a circle mid sized circle. He laid out a his bedroll between a couple of the stones. 

@everyone who wants to rest heres a spot

1 hour ago, Sorana said:

Brashen." He replied slowly, shook his head and then added with a sigh. "Althea send me back to check on you."

He got to his feet and waved at Fasi who drew another useless line. "So do you need help?"

Althea had sent this thing? Well, Sarah had seen stranger.

"I do still have my rope. We can probably make it down without any huge problem." She glanced at Fasi. "What's at the bottom? Is it safe?"

8 hours ago, Sorana said:

Althea moved her hand over the cage and added smaller holes for air. The gesture was mostly to show off, or rather to indicate that she would do something. She had started it, once she realized that many were startled if she did things without warning them first and gesture fit the general prejudice about mages.

"I'm sure, there will be more of them." She replied and looked around, but saw nothing. "We can catch one for you to keep."

The creature followed Karin's hand with its dark eyes, slowly moved forward towards the glass.

I think it could be interesting if it could differentiate between different forms of investiture. Or at least, that it recognizes if it has something seen before or not.

Karin nodded absentmindedly as she watched the creature track her hand. Smiling she played with the creature, quickly moving her hand around the glass to see the creature dance around.

"We need a name for them," she suddenly noted. "We should figure out what to call the species." She glanced at the creature in the box. "Also," she added with a slight smile, "I think we should figure out a name for this little one too."

Whisper continued to smile as Corette spoke of Rigex, there was certainly some level of interest between the two but not enough that it could really form a weakness of any kind, not much to exploit yet. Perhaps with a little pushing, but this expedition likely wouldn't continue on long enough for that kind of extended game. Best to leave them be and focus on those who she could already work with.

Her eyes shifted to the piece of Cadmium as Corette tapped it. A metalmind, and one that would likely be somewhat useful in these caverns based on what had happened so far. Drawing attention to it was an interesting move, it removed a little of the secrecy that she held. But she hadn't exactly been hiding the ability in that spore filled cavern, it was was possible she just assumed Whisper had already noticed.

Might even be enough stored in there to be worth the gold it would take to spike it out. Whisper thought, but doing so would draw undue attention and gain her very little.

Slowly her gaze moved back to meet Corette's, though in truth Corette was staring a little higher than where Whisper's real eyes lay, but even that indirect contact was enough to deepen her smile a little more. Someone else enjoyed secrets, and not necessarily the simple hoarding of secrets that so many in the city sought, something deeper. Their eyes both shifted in minuscule ways, focus drifting over each others face, reading, curious.

Corette finally broke the staring match, fishing something from a pocked before bringing out a notepad and pen. Whisper couldn't help but raise an eyebrow in surprise at the sight, was this to allow less obvious communication? But writing on paper left a trace behind that could be read by anyone who found it, and burning it down here would be suspicious. Corette seemed to almost not know why she'd brought it out, holding the notepad out without writing and began idly spinning the pen...

Interesting. Whisper thought, eyes focused on the pen. And finally someone able to actually talk efficiently.

Her smile widened into a grin as she reached into a pocket, pulling out a vial of the spores from the previous room. In her other hand a spike fell from beneath the lightweaving, causing a tiny burst of Stormlight to puff out before it reformed. Iron was always a useful spike to have on hand, and unlike her Aluminium spike it wouldn't completely dissipate the Lightweaving when it fell through.

She directed another small puff of Stormlight around the spike, subtly altering its appearance into a metal pen which she raised to the vial as though gesturing at what was inside. A little over the top perhaps given that they were unobserved but it never hurt to be careful. She twisted the pen around as though also fidgeting with it in her excitement.

And here I was beginning to worry I'd have to resort to glowing letters every time. She signed back. Here on official business? Or just personal curiosity? One of the Intelligence departments I'd assume, but then I hate to pigeonhole someone just because they're a Seeker.

@ZincAboutIt

11 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Althea had sent this thing? Well, Sarah had seen stranger.

"I do still have my rope. We can probably make it down without any huge problem." She glanced at Fasi. "What's at the bottom? Is it safe?"

There was a smug tone to Brashen's voice when he replied. "Ice cold water. Deep enough to soak you, not deep enough to jump."

He jumped on another boulder, closer to the ridge and then looked at Sarah. "And you plan to fasten the rope to what?" He asked curious to see if she was trying to make him go away, or if she'd really thought  this through. If she was about to kill the two of them - he might even need to offer help with that. And he only wanted to head back to Althea, make sure she was safe.

1 hour ago, kenod said:

Karin nodded absentmindedly as she watched the creature track her hand. Smiling she played with the creature, quickly moving her hand around the glass to see the creature dance around.

"We need a name for them," she suddenly noted. "We should figure out what to call the species." She glanced at the creature in the box. "Also," she added with a slight smile, "I think we should figure out a name for this little one too."

"I could create a larger cage for it to move in, so that we can conduct a few tests" Althea moved a sphere along the glass, watched the creature turn his head. "And we need to find out what it eats, or it will be dead soon." Pensively she soulcast a little rock into some bread inside the cage and watched it come closer, sniff the bread suspiciously.

"As for a name, what do you think about Kalea? Not asuming, but we don't know enough about it yet, to find a name hinting at its nature."

18 minutes ago, Sorana said:

There was a smug tone to Brashen's voice when he replied. "Ice cold water. Deep enough to soak you, not deep enough to jump."

He jumped on another boulder, closer to the ridge and then looked at Sarah. "And you plan to fasten the rope to what?" He asked curious to see if she was trying to make him go away, or if she'd really thought  this through. If she was about to kill the two of them - he might even need to offer help with that. And he only wanted to head back to Althea, make sure she was safe.

Fasi looked at Sarah. "Fasten it to one of my lines they are string enough."

17 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Sarah looked uncertain. "I think we could just use a stalagmite." She gestured at one that stood relatively near the hole.

@Sorana  @Oduim’s Chmapion

Brashen nodded and with a quick wave, he left them. "Call if you're in trouble." He instructed, without caring if they did or not. He'd made sure they were alright, and they had a plan. It was enough for him.

Quickly he disappeared into the darkness, returned to Althea.

Just now, Sorana said:

Brashen nodded and with a quick wave, he left them. "Call if you're in trouble." He instructed, without caring if they did or not. He'd made sure they were alright, and they had a plan. It was enough for him.

Quickly he disappeared into the darkness, returned to Althea.

Sarah watched the creature leave, then turned back to Fasi. "Well, I'm not leaving you alone up here, and I want to see what the source of that glow is." She retrieved her rope from her bag and began dexterously tying it around the protrusion of rock. She kicked the other end down, and listened to it splash at the bottom. "I'll go first, just to be safe."

Sarah carefully scrambled over the edge, both hands holding tight to the line. After a few moments, the sloshing of boots in water indicated her descent. "Your turn," came the call, echoing from the depths. 

Beneath, Sarah stared in awe at the thundering waterfall that cascaded over glowing rocks. The rippling patterns of light seemed something out of another world- which, she had to keep reminding herself, they were. Past it, she could see the dark outlines of huge rocks, almost shaped like trees. Between them moved the figures of the other scouts. Sarah grinned.

@Oduim’s Chmapion

Corette leaned closer and made some notation on her little pad of paper, seeming to examine the vial of spores that Wes had in her other hand.

"Interesting," Corette said aloud, careful to give the appearance that they were speaking normally. Alleycant was impossibly useful, but two people standing in silence twirling pens could be more conspicuous than simply speaking in whispers. Silence when people expected noise was just as loud as shouting when someone expected quiet. The trick to stealth was blending in. "Those could come in handy should we meet anything we can't catch or subdue."

As she spoke, she twirled the pen again, interspersing the Alleycant with more small notations in her flipbook. To anyone else, they would see Wes talking to a Scout Leader - hardly suspicious.

I've hopped around departments, she sent. Cut my teeth in Acquisitions, but I've done plenty of work for the Intelligence folks too. Here mostly on my own curiosity, but I've never been shy to mix business and leisure. If we find something truly spectacular, I'll give the higher-ups a ring. Didn't realize they'd be sending the Bioscience department - and so openly, too. But, then, Karin spent a good twenty minutes inside that worm and lived. If that doesn't say 'Dark Alley' then I'm not sure what does.

@Voidus

9 hours ago, Sorana said:

"I could create a larger cage for it to move in, so that we can conduct a few tests" Althea moved a sphere along the glass, watched the creature turn his head. "And we need to find out what it eats, or it will be dead soon." Pensively she soulcast a little rock into some bread inside the cage and watched it come closer, sniff the bread suspiciously.

"As for a name, what do you think about Kalea? Not asuming, but we don't know enough about it yet, to find a name hinting at its nature."

Karin nodded. "Sounds good," she said. "Though, is that name for our little friend here or for their species?" She looked as it picked at the bread, wondering what it would normally eat. "Looks like an omnivore," she noted, writing it down on a notepad she had gotten out of her pack. "Scavenger maybe? Judging by it's body it might make a semi-decent hunter, but lacks the aggression common to those animals. Little in the way of a flight instinct, once captured. Lack of interaction with humans or lack of predators?"

Karin moved over, sniffing one of the air holes of the cage. "No noteworthy smell," she concluded, writing as she spoke, "no interesting coloration or sounds either, indicating it likely isn't poisonous. No other defense mechanisms are immediately visible. Conclusion, the creature likely has little to fear from other predators in its habitat. Possible reasons are a symbiotic relationship with the local apex predator, high breeding rates or lack of significant predators above them on the foodchain. The lack of further information about this biome makes drawing conclusions difficult. Curious about food-sources and population levels. As noted before, likely omnivore. Should try feeding it some of the local fungi, and checking them for bite-marks. Should first check to see how it reacts to bread though, should give some indicator regarding omnivorous tendencies."

On 10/18/2019 at 3:02 PM, TrailRunnin said:

Rig was going to start launching coins from different directions at allri using the anchor coins he dropped earlier, so if you want to finish up the training feel free to Godmod Rig to a reasonable extent. 

Allri didn't get any breathing room before Rig moved on to the next stage of the training. Her eyes were still closed, but she saw the blue lines of Rig's coin pouch jump into the air. A moment later, another coin came streaking down at her. She pushed it away, but more came. When she dealt with those, there were even more behind them, faster than before. Rig flew around the cavern, shooting coins from every angle, and eventually Allri found herself unable to keep up with the more experienced Coinshot. A coin plinked into her shoulder, and she lost focus.

Despite its small size, a coin could still hurt, as Allri learned during the next few seconds. She managed to bat away some of the coins that followed, but several more hit her before she felt Rig descending. She uncovered her face-when had she done that?-and opened her eyes, looking questioningly at the tall Coinshot. "How did I do?"

Rig smirked. "Not bad for your first time, but you still have a long way to go before you can challenge the master." He reached out, patting her on the head, and Allri felt a glow of pride. It lasted even through Rig's next words:

"Now, pick up those coins."

Allri did.

12 hours ago, kenod said:

Karin moved over, sniffing one of the air holes of the cage. "No noteworthy smell," she concluded, writing as she spoke, "no interesting coloration or sounds either, indicating it likely isn't poisonous. No other defense mechanisms are immediately visible. Conclusion, the creature likely has little to fear from other predators in its habitat. Possible reasons are a symbiotic relationship with the local apex predator, high breeding rates or lack of significant predators above them on the foodchain. The lack of further information about this biome makes drawing conclusions difficult. Curious about food-sources and population levels. As noted before, likely omnivore. Should try feeding it some of the local fungi, and checking them for bite-marks. Should first check to see how it reacts to bread though, should give some indicator regarding omnivorous tendencies."

Brashen returned to her side, taking his usual place on her shoulder, mostly vanishing from sight. Althea gratefully touched the spot where he was, knew that he would have told her, if the two left behind needed support in some way.

In front of her the little animal observed them for a while, but when they didn't act, or come closer it started to nibble at the bread. "I agree." She observed it for a while longer, then turned the remaining bread into a piece of apple. The animal flinched back slightly before the change, afterwards it only to slowly returned to the food. It had sensed the moment she had reached for her stormlight Althea realized and watched it sniff the apple suspiciously.

"We should search the forest as well," she added, "it seems likely that it hosts other living forms and might hint at the biome in total." Pensively she looked around. "This is the second species with some kind of innate investiture and it's highly different from the first one we encountered. We'd need to check their DNA to be sure, but there is a large chance that they aren't related. That fact sparks the question why and how these abilities were evolved, or if this evolution was started artificially at one point. There is a high chance, that its just a consequence of them living here in the Alleyverse. If its the last reason, then it would be interesting to see if other types of Investiture are mimiced as well. I suggest we take it with us over to the forest and try to find more clues about its habitat in general."

Getting up she streched her back. "As for a name, maybe we should figure its sex out, or go with something universal."

Edited by Sorana

8 hours ago, I ♥️ Rashek said:

“Now, pick up those coins."

Allri did.

As the training commenced Wes watched, peeking from behind a large rock. He knew he had no reason to hide. He had as much importance as anyone here, he was an ACE employee too. But, as he watched the two Allomancers training, he began to reevaluate his thoughts. That man alone... he had just arrived on this world, and he was already more powerful than Wes, more useful in practically every sense of the word.

The girl, Allri. She wasn’t nearly as skilled as Rigex, but she made up for it in raw power. A Mistborn. Wes had never seen another Mistborn in his life. Looking back he saw the ‘scholars’ (the name he’d given to all the super-smart people on the expedition) inspecting some sort of animal. Wrapping his cloak around around himself he tapped his metalminds, his hunger disappearing and mind returning to his thoughts of inadequacy.

He had to be of use in some way. He had to. No one had even blinked when he’d said he was a bendalloy Ferring. Well, except for that woman, who’d compared him to the bendalloy Misting. An infinitely more useful ability, but it wasn’t like Wes had been able to choose his genetics. His mind wandered to dark places when he knew that were people out there who were able to change their genetics. Through little metal spikes.

“I wonder what would happen if an Allomancer ingested a magnetically charged metal,” he said, stepping out of his hiding spot, waving slightly to Rig and Allri.

“H-hello. I’m Wes. I thought I’d just walk a little ahead, then I found you guys training.”