ZincAboutIt

1 hour ago, Oduim’s Chmapion said:

I cant tell her my plans. "Perhaps."

"But how were you planning to get down things like this-" she turned and gestured at the drop, just in time to see Allri leave without her. Rusts. The rest of her objection dying on her lips, Sarah hurried forward and peered over the edge. The bottom of the tunnel was lit in a pale golden light, which shimmered through the water at the bottom. The last person, the Mistborn, moved out of view. This was just wonderful. Now she was trapped between a glowing field of soporific mushrooms and a dangerous drop. And she had to look after a disobedient teenager. Sarah turned back toward Fasi, trying not to let her frustration show on her face. That was when she noticed the tiny black creature standing on a rock behind her. Sarah yelped and instinctively moved backward. She caught hold of a stalagmite before she could fall, and hurriedly took a few steps away from the shaft. The thing appeared to be made of darkness, shaped in a rough caricature of a person. Was this another dangerous inhabitant of the mines? She began to reach for her staff.

@Oduim’s Chmapion @Sorana

Heat pressed in on her from all sides as Corette slipped between trees. The thick, humid air was warm - almost too warm. But anything was better than the bone-deep chill of the freezing pool. She slid a careful hand over the trunk of one skeletal tree, then tapped it with the tip of her dagger. It felt like stone, but looked like wood. A petrified forest?

”These aren’t statues,” she said, following after Rig now - rust those long legs of his - and hearing Allri follow behind. “This was a forest once, but time has turned it to stone.”

There was a better explanation, she was sure. One of the scientists could surely do a better job, but Corette was not a scientist. Well, not usually, anyway. The corner of her mouth curved up in a tiny, private smile, and she ducked easily beneath a dense weave of stone branches. She slipped under the arc of Rig’s outstretched arm, curving around him, then stopped. 

The trees here had formed a kind of half-ring around two steaming pools - hot springs. She’d been right. Carefully, she skirted the edges of the pools, smile wide and eager.

”Now this is my kind of place,” she said, kneeling down to inspect the water. As soon as it was cleared as safe, she would be taking a long soak.

@I ♥️ Rashek @TrailRunnin

Rig cursed as he nearly hit his head on another of the low hanging branches, and huffed in jealousy as Corette stepped easily around him and moved ahead. He supposed sometimes it was better to be short, but took solace in the fact that if the group ever needed something from a high place he would be more help than Cor. He hunched over and kept moving, following Corette into a clearing dominated by a pair of pools. Trees watched from the edges of the pools--appartently they had once been alive? It seemed odd, to Rig, but then this was an entirely new planet. Odd trees could be excused. 

Corette seemed to be inspecting the pools for a moment; if they were safe, they warm water would present him with a good opportunity to get some extra heat into his metalminds. He took a moment to look around the area, spotting Allri some distance back in the trees. "You did well with the pulling," he called out to her. "We should have some time to practice pushing in this cave, if you want."

@I ♥️ Rashek @ZincAboutIt

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

"Karin, Adren" She called out to them, "I think here might be another species." Slowly she followed it around the boulder, saw, a long furry tail, but it vanished again into the darkness. She was making too much noise, moved too slowly. A slight grin touched her lips when she elsecalled after the animal, guessed where it had gone. Nothing was there, but now she squat down, took a sphere out of her pocket to illuminate the area close to the ground. Nothing happened for a while and then she heard something, shortly afterwards a little nose peeked around a corner. It moved a little towards the sphere and she could see dark eyes, tried to remain impassive, considered a good way to trap it. The eyes met hers, and it froze, looked at the sphere again, its gaze resting on it for a while, as if drawn to it, fascinated by it. Althea moved a little when she nearly lost her balance, and it scurried away again.

@kenod @ElephantEarwax @whoeverelse is interested

Karin quickly walked to Althea. "Really?" She asked in an excited tone. "Where? What is it like?" She looked around, trying to spot it. She figured her eyesight should allow her to spot it more easily than Althea could, and was rewarded with a glimpse of a small furry creature scurrying past, though it moved to fast for her to see any details.

Adren glanced at the animal that Althea was studying, seeing that it was hiding, then walked to the forest and pools.

Seeing Corette inspecting them, he decided to look at the trees until she said they were clear or not. 

Taking Jethro off his pack he looks at one of the smaller branches. 

"What are you doing?" Jethro asked loudly "You already beat me against a rock today, and we know this is a stone tree." 

"I was going to look at the tree, but fine" Adren sighed and put Jethro down. 

Speaking to Corette, "Will this water eat me, or cook me, or do both? It looks good from where I stand."
@ZincAboutIt

Edited by ElephantEarwax

@Oduim’s Chmapion @Rushu42

I didn't mean to leave you behind, I thought you would just say that you came down. The posts aren't in chronological order, so you should either be down before Allri or on the other side of the mushroom cave, where Allri can't see you. She wouldn't leave if she thought someone else still needed to get down.

1 hour ago, ElephantEarwax said:

Speaking to Corette, "Will this water eat me, or cook me, or do both? It looks good from where I stand."

Corette frowned in concentration at the question, kneeling down on the edge of the pool and holding a hand above the water. It seemed hot, but not scalding. There was no immediately corrosive or toxic smell to the water, though that didn't necessarily mean anything. She slipped her pack off her back and set it on her feet, careful to perch on the damp rocks surrounding the hot springs and not in the few inches of water that flooded most of this cavern. Then, she withdrew a spare bit of cloth from within the pack - a scrap of wool blanket from back in the first cavern. Perfect.

She eyed Rig, checking to see if he was in a position to Push her into the hot spring, but he was speaking with Allri. Convinced of her relative safety, Corette slung her pack back over her shoulders, then knelt back down and dipped the piece of wool into the steaming water. If it were truly corrosive, it should eat away at the organic material with little trouble. This was far from a fool-proof test; Corette had half a mind to encourage Adren to stick his hand in to set their minds at ease. However, she figured that type of cavalier attitude would win her few friends, and a lot more watchful eyes. So, she played the helpful Scout Leader and held the wool in the water.

Nothing happened, and when Corette withdrew the cloth it seemed entirely whole - if wet. Tentatively, she held the wool over her arm and let one drop of water fall on the back of her exposed wrist. She grit her teeth, prepared for pain, but there was nothing. She waited a bit longer - still nothing. Then, with one more look at the sopping wet square of wool, she grinned and dipped a finger into the pool. 

Heat coiled up her hand in a delicious spiral, and Corette sighed with delight, rolling her shoulders at the sensation. It took a great deal of her own restraint not to jump right in immediately; the proximity to a good bath made her acutely aware of how grimy she was, and she itched to be free of her coveralls and soak in the hot mineral water.

.Instead, she stood up and put her hands on her hips, surveying the area. This side of the hot springs were flooded with cold water, but she could see that the cavern floor sloped upwards on the other side, disappearing into thick mist and the shadows of more trees.

"The water seems safe," she said, "and the cavern floor slopes up over there, out of the water." She pointed. "Could be a decent place to set up camp - especially if we can find more of those glowing rocks."

The golden light still filtered through the mist here, but more light would help set everyone at ease. "Now, I don't know about all of you, but I'd murder for a nice bath."

@I ♥️ Rashek @TrailRunnin 

2 hours ago, TrailRunnin said:

He took a moment to look around the area, spotting Allri some distance back in the trees. "You did well with the pulling," he called out to her. "We should have some time to practice pushing in this cave, if you want."

By following her electrum shadow, Allri got to the center of the forest safely. She extinguished her electrum, then looked around-following the shadow meant that she wasn't looking at her surroundings. Rig and Corette were already there, and they didn't look concerned, so it was probably safe. In the center of the clearing, steam bubbled up from a hot spring, covering the forest in mist. Allri was reminded of nights on Scadrial, when the mists would come in and cover the city. Like the mists, the fog here made it hard to judge distance, but the atmosphere of mystery more than made up for it. She looked back at the frozen trees, only a few meters away but still blurred until only an outline was visible, then jumped as one of them moved. She flickered her tin on for a moment, and was relieved to recognize Rig.

Allri felt a glow of pride at Rig's words. The Coinshot thought she'd done well! Coming from Rig, those words meant a lot more than they would otherwise. As for his offer of training... She smiled. "I'd love to."

Pulling out a handful of coins, she walked over to Rig and turned on her steel. Seeing the familiar blue lines reminded her of another metal she had. Was using iron during practice cheating? Knowing Rig, he'd probably say something like "Go ahead, you couldn't beat me even with all 16 metals", but it didn't hurt to ask.

"Can I use iron during practice?"

@TrailRunnin

2 hours ago, I ♥️ Rashek said:

I didn't mean to leave you behind, I thought you would just say that you came down. The posts aren't in chronological order, so you should either be down before Allri or on the other side of the mushroom cave, where Allri can't see you. She wouldn't leave if she thought someone else still needed to get down.

Don't worry; I assumed that it wasn't deliberate. Personally, I'm fine with having Sarah stuck at the top, but if you want to have me redo that I can. It is feasible that Allri would have missed her, since she moved a little bit away to talk to Fasi. You can say a stalagmite was in the way, or something.

"Go ahead, you couldn't beat me even with all 16 metals," Rig said, chuckling. "I've worked with a few lurchers, so I might be able to give you some tips. Just between me and you, though," he said, dropping his voice to a conspiratorial whisper, "Steel is the more useful of the pair. Iron is power; steel is finesse. And finesse beats raw strength every time." 

Rig pulled out a handful of his own coins, and walked a few paces away, staying in the clearing. "Now, you want to learn? We'll start with something easy. Shut your eyes and start burning. I'll be launching coins at you-push them away before they hit." There was some danger to the drill, but it was an easy way to gauge the girl's confidence. As he waited for Allri to comply, he shot a few coins to random-seeming points around the clearing.

@I ♥️ Rashek

It would be easier for Sarah and Fasi to be down already, but if you want them at the top, that's your choice. Allri has very good reasons for not going back into the mushroom field and looking around. @Rushu42

5 minutes ago, TrailRunnin said:

Rig pulled out a handful of his own coins, and walked a few paces away, staying in the clearing. "Now, you want to learn? We'll start with something easy. Shut your eyes and start burning. I'll be launching coins at you-push them away before they hit." There was some danger to the drill, but it was an easy way to gauge the girl's confidence. As he waited for Allri to comply, he shot a few coins to random-seeming points around the clearing.

Allri closed her eyes and burned iron and steel, then watched the lines as Rig shot coins around the room. None of them came close to hitting her, so she didn't touch them. Maybe Rig planned to use them as anchors later.

Even with her eyes closed, Allri could see the blue lines. Rig had said that she would, of course, but it still surprised her a bit. As expected, the lines clustered around Rig. The Coinshot was carrying coins-obviously-and had vials of steel and a gun on his belt. There were also lines to his bracers, but they were dimmer. Strangely, Rig's necklace had no line. Allri could have sworn it was metal-she'd be sure to ask Rig about it later. Other lines moved in the distance-likely other expedition members-but she ignored them, focusing on the task at hand.

When the first coin came, she was ready.

@TrailRunnin

Corette watched Allri and Rig train for a bit, burning her Bronze and getting a good feel for each Allomancer's unique signatures. Allri's command of her metals was erratic, prone to fits and starts, flares and dips. Rig, by contrast, used his Steel with all the skill of a lifetime practitioner, putting just enough force behind each coin - no more, no less. He was efficient, intuitive, and, frankly, quite talented. A dangerous combination. And danger was fun. Corette found herself smiling as she watched him; between his glowing mistcoat, his height, and his Allomancy, he cut quite a figure.

Eventually though, she grew bored and stood up, hopping down from one of the rocks at the edge of the hot springs and wading quietly through the trees. She gave Rig and Allri a wide berth, not keen on getting hit by a stray coin, and made her way back towards the others. Her smile widened when she caught sight of Wes; the girl stood with her customary watchful silence, keen eyes taking in everything and giving nothing away.

"Nice jump, earlier," Corette said, once she was within earshot of the girl. She continued walking closer, until she was just a few feet away from Wes, and gave her a smaller, slightly-conspiratorial smile. "You don't miss much, do you? I recognize that look - 'Seeker's eyes.' Most people don't know how to really watch, do they? But you do."

@Voidus

2 minutes ago, Oduim’s Chmapion said:

Fasi drew a line of revocation tworod the creature. It shot arcross the floor directly hitting the thing.

Are you attempting to hit Brashen, the little black inkspren? If so, I'm not sure if that would work or not - it probably wouldn't damage him the way it would a person.

34 minutes ago, I ♥️ Rashek said:

It would be easier for Sarah and Fasi to be down already, but if you want them at the top, that's your choice. Allri has very good reasons for not going back into the mushroom field and looking around. @Rushu42

Well, we've already committed to the current plot. I'm sure that Sarah won't hold anything against Allri.

By the way, if you tag someone in a quote it doesn't work. For future reference.

Edited by Rushu42

Rig nodded, seeing that her eyes were closed. She should be watching the lines; her head tilted slightly as she focused on them, a habit most coinshots and lurchers had. He would have to mention that to her; it was an easy way to give yourself away. He tossed the first coin up and shot it towards her, lightly enough that she would have some time to react. It arced through the air before getting thrown off course, as though some invisible force acted on it. Rig repeated the motion a few times, pushing slightly harder each time. Allri deflected all of them, as he expected. This was basic. 

Rig grinned, and tossed a coin into the air high over his head. He pursed his lips, calculating for a moment, before Flaring his steel and launching it high into the air, fast. He fired a trio more or coins at Allri, several times faster than any of the others, timed to coincide with the on flying upwards. All four coins darted towards her, one from above, and he watched with baited breath to see whether or not she could track them all. A steel bubble like the one he'd heard ladrian could pull of back in elendel was reserved for twinborn with iron--for the rest of them, this sort of thing became a careful game of multitasking.

Rig's memories took him back briefly to a courtyard with his uncle, who fired pellets at him while Rig stood blindfolded. He had spent years in that yard, perfecting his steelpushes until he was among the best in the basin, sparring with his uncle until he could take on many of the cane duelists who came through on the circuit. The jacket had been a gift, almost a graduation present, given to Rig on the day of his first raid. Perhaps if Allri made it through these caves, he would see a proper mistcloak made up for her.

@I ♥️ Rashek

4 minutes ago, TrailRunnin said:

A steel bubble like the one he'd heard ladrian could pull of back in elendel was reserved for twinborn with iron... 

Actually, I believe that was because of his savantism with steel, not his ability to Skim. 

5 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

She eyed Rig, checking to see if he was in a position to Push her into the hot spring, but he was speaking with Allri. Convinced of her relative safety, Corette slung her pack back over her shoulders, then knelt back down and dipped the piece of wool into the steaming water. If it were truly corrosive, it should eat away at the organic material with little trouble. This was far from a fool-proof test; Corette had half a mind to encourage Adren to stick his hand in to set their minds at ease. However, she figured that type of cavalier attitude would win her few friends, and a lot more watchful eyes. So, she played the helpful Scout Leader and held the wool in the water.

"The water seems safe," she said, "and the cavern floor slopes up over there, out of the water." She pointed. "Could be a decent place to set up camp - especially if we can find more of those glowing rocks."

You totally should have. 

"Seems safe is good enough for me." Adren said shrugging. He rolled up his sleeves and began to wash his arms and face in the hot water.

"I can break some more so they can be set up and not roll away if needs be." 

"Sure you can. Don't mention the one doing the actual breaking"

"Jethro, my cleaver wanted me to say that he would break them."

@ZincAboutIt

8 hours ago, kenod said:

Karin quickly walked to Althea. "Really?" She asked in an excited tone. "Where? What is it like?" She looked around, trying to spot it. She figured her eyesight should allow her to spot it more easily than Althea could, and was rewarded with a glimpse of a small furry creature scurrying past, though it moved to fast for her to see any details.

Althea lifted a sphere. "It came, when I placed one of them down on the ground. Maybe it's attracted to light." She mused and looked in the direction where it had vanished. She heard Corette call out something about a wood, and slowly moved in that direction kept her eyes open. Another movement, again towards the forest. Althea stopped, when she could see the mist around the vague forms of the trees, felt the warmth.

"Maybe they live within the trees." She stopped and placed a sphere on the ground, walked a few steps and then put a second one down. They glowed softly from the stormlight trapped within them. She made sure, that both lay close to a boulder, so that she could soulcast the rock into a prison and then she waited.

Her eyes remained with the spheres, although she wished that Brashen was here to keep an eye on her back - but he wasn't. Nothing happened, then suddenly the small furry creature rushed towards one of the spheres and tried to bite into it. Althea reached out for the rock, soulcast it into glass, covered the creature in a aquarium like box and waved Karin over.

@kenod

---.---

Brashen stayed where he was, when one of the humans drew a chalk line on the ground. It hit the wall behind him, smashing a part of the rocks to pieces, but otherwise nothing happened. Of course nothing happened. He was a spren. If he had eyes, he would have rolled them now, these two were so dumb compared to his Althea, but she had asked him to check on them.

"Do you need help?"

He asked and sat down on his rock, his feet dangling in the air.

@Rushu42 @Oduim’s Chmapion