ZincAboutIt

Sarah looked up and saw several of the other Scouts approaching. She finished tying her rope to a nearby stalagmite, then took a deep breath. The resulting jolt of wooziness reminded her that she was still in a cave of soporific mushrooms, and she shook her head at herself. "I'll go down," she called at the approaching group of people. "Could someone let out the slack as I descend? It doesn't look like there's a way to climb."

@ZincAboutIt @Invocation 

Rig didn't miss the way Corette's eyes flickered between their weapons, nor the suggestion implicit in her look. Killing Eos was probably the cleanest way to handle this, but for now they had better things to do. He grinned slightly at the way Cor ordered him to follow; not many were so willing to tell him what to do. "Yes ma'am," he said, speaking in his best Roughs accent. He was grateful for the kerchief, and took it to his mouth before following the group over to the dark drop where Sarah stood. The walls of the shaft sloped away into the darkness, eventually disappearing into a mess of incomprehensible grey. Rig walked straight to the edge and looked down, not bothered by the steep drop below. The fear of heights was one of the first he had conquered, in the months after his snapping. 

Rig grinned to himself, looking sideways at the rope slung around Sarah's waist. Well, that was one way to get down. He flicked his coin into the air, watching as the lights from their headlamps shone off of the madly spinning metal. It dropped past his feet into the darkness, and he turned on his steel to watch it fall further and further. Eventually it stopped, the blue line thin and wavering far below them. 

He turned to Sarah and the rest of the group, who seemed to be prepping to send her down. "It's a long way down," he advised them, voice muffled by the kerchief. "I can head in first, call up afterwards. Make sure you have some sort of metal on your person--if something goes wrong, I'll try to cushion the fall for you."

He raised an eyebrow at Corette, waiting for the go ahead. She could take care of herself, but he wasn't about to jump off, leaving her alone with the new Epic, without making sure she could handle the group.

@Rushu42 @ZincAboutIt

Sarah shrugged. "Sure." She wasn't about to argue with a Coinshot- he was clearly better suited to the descent than she. Still, she couldn't help feeling a little disappointed that she wouldn't be the first to see whatever was down there. If it was half as spectacular as what they'd already seen, it would be worth any dangerous climb. "I've got some metal clasps on my bag and clothing," she mentioned. "Will that work?" 

Suddenly, Fasi materialized beside her. Sarah let out a yell, echoing the girl's own, and stumbled backward. "How..." she stammered. "Where In rusting Harmony's name did you come from? Wasn't your application rejected?"

@Oduim’s Chmapion @ZincAboutIt @TrailRunnin

When Allri woke up, she wasn't in the same place. She'd been carried out of the cavern, and when she turned around, she saw Rig heading back with a breathing mask on his face. As she listened to the other scouts talk to the newly discovered Epic. Apparently, the Epic had been asleep in the cave, maybe for days, while the mushrooms and their soporific spores piled up around her. She would have died in there, asleep till the end, if they hadn't come along. And Allri had rushed into the cave without taking any precautions, had lay down and fallen asleep... If Rig hadn't carried her out, she would have died. She hung her head, feeling useless.

When Sarah asked for help, Allri held her breath and rushed over, hoping to make up for her mistakes earlier. She stepped up to the edge and looked down, burning tin and steel, and saw a single blue line falling down. A coin, thrown by Rig. It landed with a splash, sunk a few inches, then stopped, apparently having reached the bottom. Even with her tin-enhanced senses, she couldn't see past the surface of the water, but it seemed to be just a puddle. Turning on her iron, she threw down a handful of coins and played around with them for a bit. She wasn't worried about running out of coins-it would be the easiest thing in the world to pull them back to her. As she'd expected, the coins stayed at about the same height, even as they spread out under the surface. They stayed still when she wasn't moving them, so there wasn't a strong current down there.

Seeing Rig preparing to jump off, Allri told him what she'd seen. "There's some water down below, but it's not deep, and it doesn't move. The rocks are smooth under the surface, so some coins might slip out from under you, but I'm sure you know what to do if that happens."

@Rushu42 @TrailRunnin

Breaking masks. The group got distracted by a new person they found in the mushrooms, and Wes was still stuck. How did he make a breathing mask when he didn’t have any parts? No machinery, especially not ones complex enough to make a breath8ng system out of. But it seemed the small pieces of cloth people were holding to their faces were working just fine, so Wes wasn’t sure if it really was necessary to try and construct breathing masks anyway. Tearing a piece of his own cloak of he held against his mouth and nose, venturing into the cavern.

It was beautiful, and even with the cloth he felt a little drowsy, though he knew it was nothing compared to how he might have been feeling if he didn’t have the cloth. But that still didn’t detract from the beautiful mushrooms. Further along the cavern some people said there was some kind of drop. Looking over the edge, Wes began to hyperventilate. Heights. The hyperventilation made him involuntarily breath in more spores, which worried h8m more and made him hyperventilate further,

Corette peered over the edge of the shaft, relishing in the cool air that wafted up, stirring her hair. She looked at Rig with envy - how she would love to step right over this lip of stone, falling through the air, with the knowledge that she could catch herself at the end. The idea of waiting for everyone up here while Rig got first crack at exploring the next cave felt like torture, and she had half a mind to hitch a ride down on his coattails. 

When Allri stepped up and began playing with a handful of coins, Corette got an idea. She looked to Rig, but pointed at Allri. “Between the two of you, we could get lowered down far easier than with rope. If you go down first, Rig, and Allri stays here with her Iron on, we could get support from above and below. Then, when we’re all down, Allri can follow last. Does that sound possible?”

@I ♥️ Rashek @TrailRunnin @Rushu42

17 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Looking over the edge, Wes began to hyperventilate. Heights. The hyperventilation made him involuntarily breath in more spores, which worried h8m more and made him hyperventilate further,

Allri noticed Wes walk up to the edge and look down. Even with tin, it was hard for her to see what was down there, so she didn't think he would see anything. Maybe she was wrong, though-Wes leaned over more, as if he'd seen something. Then he started swaying. It looked like he'd been affected by the mushrooms, and in the worst possible spot, too. Quickly, she burned pewter and pulled Wes back to safety.

@I think I am here.

13 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

When Allri stepped up and began playing with a handful of coins, Corette got an idea. She looked to Rig, but pointed at Allri. “Between the two of you, we could get lowered down far easier than with rope. If you go down first, Rig, and Allri stays here with her Iron on, we could get support from above and below. Then, when we’re all down, Allri can follow last. Does that sound possible?”

Allri thought about it. She wasn't that good with iron, but she should be able to keep up a constant pull, and pull a bit harder if she sensed someone falling too fast. She'd need to be anchored, but she could do it. She'd better be able to-Rig had saved her life twice already, and she didn't want to repay him by being dead weight. That was another thing-Rig would be on the other side, and he was much better at Pushing. He'd be the one doing the subtle adjustments, and she'd seen how skilled he was before.

Allri turned towards Corette and nodded. "I can do it."

@ZincAboutIt @TrailRunnin

Edited by I ♥️ Rashek

Rig watched as Allri dropped a handful of coins over the edge. He was about to chastise her for the waste of coins before he remembered that as a mistborn, she could recall them at will. That'll take some getting used to, he thought. He nodded his thanks to the mistborn for her advice on what was at the bottom; without tin, he'd be blind down there, and knowing there was water could be handy. 

5 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Between the two of you, we could get lowered down far easier than with rope. If you go down first, Rig, and Allri stays here with her Iron on, we could get support from above and below. Then, when we’re all down, Allri can follow last. Does that sound possible?”

Rig nodded once, thoughtful. "I can do it. Allri, all you'd have to do is haul upwards--you're lighter than everyone else here. Leave the detail work to me at the bottom." With that, he pulled out a new vial of steel and downed it. He twisted once , hands over his head, flaring his suit's mistcloak, which was now speckled with both blue and purple glow-fungus. He turned around to face the group, grinned, and stepped back into nothingness.

The wind rushed around his face for a moment as he spun backwards in the darkness. It was his favorite part of being a coinshot; the rush of adrenaline as you flew through the winds, propelled by the grace of skill and allomancy. He closed his eyes, relying on a lifetime of practice to determine which way was down, and singled out the blue lines shooting out towards the fallen coins. He seized a few and began pushing lightly, using only a fraction of his weight. He slowly incremented the force as he dropped, eventually slowing to a near-stop only a few feet above the water. He dropped lower yet, before shoving outwards to anchor himself just above the water. It was clear, and barely more than a foot deep here; turning on his headlamp let him pick out the sheen of the coin underneath him. 

Rig sighed unhappily before dropping himself the remainder of the way, flexing his knees before he hit the water to absorb the shock. It was freezing, but a quick tap on his brassminds fixed that. "Alright," he called up, the sound echoing upwards through the chasm. "Come on down!"

@ZincAboutIt @I ♥️ Rashek @Rushu42 @everyone else there

30 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Sarah shrugged. "Sure." She wasn't about to argue with a Coinshot- he was clearly better suited to the descent than she. Still, she couldn't help feeling a little disappointed that she wouldn't be the first to see whatever was down there. If it was half as spectacular as what they'd already seen, it would be worth any dangerous climb. "I've got some metal clasps on my bag and clothing," she mentioned. "Will that work?" 

Suddenly, Fasi materialized beside her. Sarah let out a yell, echoing the girl's own, and stumbled backward. "How..." she stammered. "Where In rusting Harmony's name did you come from? Wasn't your application rejected?"

@Oduim’s Chmapion @ZincAboutIt @TrailRunnin

Fasi looked at Sarah. "Yes..." She said timidly. "It was."

Corette watched Rig step backwards into the darkness wearing that smug, self-satisfied grin, and she lamented that she hadn’t shoved him off the edge earlier. She waited a moment, then another, until finally his voice filtered up through the deep. Good, he survived. It would be a shame to lose him so soon. Corette was eager to see how many more colors he’d collect on that ridiculous coat of his.

When no one stepped forward to volunteer, Corette addressed the group. “We’re going down,” she said. “Now line up, or you can stay here and have a nice rest.” She looked past the group, back into the glowing purple cavern. Corette knee she should stay and make sure everyone got down safely, but she figured she’d only last a short while before joining Rig and anyone else brave enough to take a first leap. 

“Who’s first?”

@scouts!

17 hours ago, Sorana said:

"Good catch Adren. I am pretty sure, that the the spores affect you first through your lungs, any slower secondary effects can't be judged at the moment."

"Thank you, I'm glad they seem to have no harmful short term effects, at least I hope." Adren said slightly nervously, "They may be able to put lather things to sleep as well, should we run into anything. I am going to take these, they may be useful later."

"I'll go down" Adren says, striding over to the hole.

Beginning to climb into the hole, holding the rope around him in a loop. Adren looks down the pit and sees Rigs Hair, a glowing speck at the bottom of the cave, slight splashing noises coming from him standing in the water. 

"How's the water down there? Seems like a nice day for a swim." He called down the shaft to the almost spectral figure at the bottom. 

@ZincAboutIt @TrailRunnin @Sorana

Edited by ElephantEarwax

As he reached the bottom, Adren paused, holding himself in the rope loop and removed his shoes and socks, tying them around his neck, and rolled his pants up to just under the knees

"GET THOSE SMELLY BOOTS AWAY FROM ME" Mercy screamed in Adren's mind.

"Damnation!" Adren swore. Surprised by the noise he lost his grip and fell into the water. 

"You were right Rig, this is some nice swimming." Adren gasped between breaths. "I'm glad it wasn't any deeper than this. I don't need cold, wet underwear to fight monsters in."

"I'm Down," Adren called to the rest of the group. "Take your boots off before you come."

@TrailRunnin @scouts

Edited by ElephantEarwax

With her tin on, Allri couldn't miss Rig's shout. She braced herself against a wall and picked out some anchors, patches of ore embedded in the walls. Interestingly, there were patches of metal all around this cave, but none in the shaft below or in the tunnel that led here. Just another thing to think about later-she had to focus now. This time, she wouldn't fail and need to be rescued. She readied herself, then called back down to Rig. "Ready!"

@TrailRunnin

You can godmod being lowered by/working with Allri's iron allomancy. I'll write up a piece of how it feels from Allri's side later.

I think we can just let everyone write posts about being lowered down for now, before moving on. If anyone wants some drama about falling/fear of heights feel free to Godmod Rig. He's good enough to keep a freaked out person from dying, but flailing might make him lose control for a few seconds. 

While people were lowered down the shaft, Corette observes the new one - the Epic. She’d come along readily enough, which was a good sign. Perhaps she’d be useful, or she could just be another threat to watch for. Plenty of these people posed her no threat, but Eos could kill any number of the scouting party with relative ease. Epic powers did strange things to their wielders.

”You came along willingly,” Corette said, moving up alongside Eos, careful to keep her Bronze on. “Must be disorienting, waking up here, and yet here you are.”

She nodded towards the pit. “It’s safe - Allri and Rig will guide you down. You don’t need any rope. Would it help if you watched the process? Allomancy is a largely invisible art, and you’ve little reason to trust us.”

And rightly so. Corette smiled, blue eyes glinting.

@Invocation

5 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

”You came along willingly,” Corette said, moving up alongside Eos, careful to keep her Bronze on. “Must be disorienting, waking up here, and yet here you are.”

She nodded towards the pit. “It’s safe - Allri and Rig will guide you down. You don’t need any rope. Would it help if you watched the process? Allomancy is a largely invisible art, and you’ve little reason to trust us.”

"What else was I going to do? You're a scouting party, but I don't know if the way out is safe or even clear to exit by. Like it or not, we're bound together for the next while, since I have no idea about anything. But getting down there? I'm fine, thanks. I don't need help." Eos stepped up to the lip of the drop off, waving off the attempt to help, and hopped over, light encasing her hands and feet as she drove them into the wall, creating perfectly sized grip points the whole way down. Top that, smug girl, she smirked.

Corette watched Eos go, jumping down into the shaft without any Allomantic protection, and raised an eyebrow. Can she fly? Corette walked forward and peered over the edge, half-expecting to see the red-head soaring down on some kind of living rainbow cloud. Instead, she clung to the sides of the shaft, hands and feet encased in that same boreal light, creating little hand and footholds for herself. Eos looked up at her and smirked, as if goading Corette to do something more impressive. 

Well, if you insist.

She double-checked the zippers on her pack and tightened the straps, re-sheathed the dagger, and called down to the bottom. She could just make out the glow of Rig's headlamp - and his hair.

"If you drop me Rigex Lekal," she sang out sweetly,  "so help me, I will wear your guts as a scarf."

Then, without a backwards glance, Corette kicked up into a handstand and flipped feet-first into the long drop. She caught one look at Eos and smiled as she sailed past, then felt an immediate tug on the harness at her waist. That would be Allri, slowing her descent with Iron. A moment later, she felt a far subtler push from below, as together the two allomancers guided her down. Air still whipped past her, and she let go of her Cadmium, laughing and breathing in the cold, dark rush of it. She felt herself spin once, though whether it was her own motion or some trick of Rig's, she couldn't tell. Whatever it was, it was glorious.

All too soon, it was over. She felt the pressure from below intensify, until she was gliding smoothly down and stopped about three feet from a shallow pool of water. Rig stood there, grinning, hand outstretched.

"We're fine, Allri, you can stop," he called and the slight pull on Corette lifted. Then, he looked down at the water beneath Corette, grin turning wicked. Corette's eyes went wide with realization, and she struggled in midair to point her feet downward.

"Don't you --"

Rig winked, then dropped his hand.

The water rushed up to meet her with an icy smackit was freezing, and Corette immediately began to shiver. She staggered to her feet, glaring at Rig through her now-sopping hair, and tried to shake off as much water as she could.

"I," she declared, teeth chattering, "h-hate you."

@TrailRunnin @Invocation

Always willing to edit here, might have gotten a bit caught up in the nonsense. Apologies if so. Just seemed in character :P 

Edited by ZincAboutIt

6 hours ago, Invocation said:

"Wait, mushrooms? A cave? Last thing I remember, I was on a train going East. Who are any of you, and where's my pet? Tell me that and I'll tell you as much as I can." Eos was well and truly confused now. She had been trying to meet up with an old fling in Coven territory, but now she was here? And what did they mean they saved her life? Was she being eaten by mushrooms?

@Sorana @ZincAboutIt @TrailRunnin

Malu got comfortable after a few dozen steps of nothing but slickness, so when he went to step and his foot found nothing but air, he had no time to do anything except grab Nekorb by the shirt as he toppled, dragging them both bodily down into a pitch-dark offshoot at the bottom of a cavern well. "Rust. This is what I get for not watching where I walk. Sorry to drag you here too, Nekorb. You okay?"

@xinoehp512

"Owwww," groaned Nekorb, slightly muffled by the rock. "Yeah, I'm-" he winced, pushing himself up, "-fine, I guess. I mean, I've already fallen down one pit today."

1 minute ago, xinoehp512 said:

"Owwww," groaned Nekorb, slightly muffled by the rock. "Yeah, I'm-" he winced, pushing himself up, "-fine, I guess. I mean, I've already fallen down one pit today."

"You sure? Nothing broken? I have a way to fix serious stuff, but Stormlight is somewhat limited down here, so I'd prefer to not use it very often. Anyway, where are we?" Malu asked. "Did they give you a map or something? Anything?" I don't see a way we're going to get out of this without going deeper, unless he has something that helps climbing that I don't know about. Entirely possible.

5 minutes ago, Invocation said:

"You sure? Nothing broken? I have a way to fix serious stuff, but Stormlight is somewhat limited down here, so I'd prefer to not use it very often. Anyway, where are we?" Malu asked. "Did they give you a map or something? Anything?" I don't see a way we're going to get out of this without going deeper, unless he has something that helps climbing that I don't know about. Entirely possible.

"No, I don't think so," said Nekorb, pulling himself to his feet. "And no, I wasn't given a map." He sighed, looking back up the shaft they had just fallen down. Too steep, he thought glumly. "You wouldn't happen to have some sort of power that lets you climb walls, would you?"

Just now, xinoehp512 said:

"No, I don't think so," said Nekorb, pulling himself to his feet. "And no, I wasn't given a map." He sighed, looking back up the shaft they had just fallen down. Too steep, he thought glumly. "You wouldn't happen to have some sort of power that lets you climb walls, would you?"

"No, I do not, much to my eternal shame." Malu harnessed Illumination to make a ring of light just above their heads, anchored to the wall of the well. He stepped up to the newly revealed corridor in the stone that seemed to eat the light. "Well at least there's a way out. A really ominous way out, but a way out nonetheless. Shall we take it?"

4 minutes ago, Invocation said:

"No, I do not, much to my eternal shame." Malu harnessed Illumination to make a ring of light just above their heads, anchored to the wall of the well. He stepped up to the newly revealed corridor in the stone that seemed to eat the light. "Well at least there's a way out. A really ominous way out, but a way out nonetheless. Shall we take it?"

Nekorb sighed and pushed off the wall. "What other choice do we have?"