ZincAboutIt

Nekorb stood in the corner, shivering. It sure was cold down here.

He figured he ought to be terrified. People had just died, after all.

Other people had crazy abilities like turning things to stone, or flying, or whatever that girl had that allowed her to survive getting eaten- not them.

And sure, he could resist Investiture, but what use was that when a monster swallowed you whole?

But all he felt was a sort of numb resignation.

This would be dangerous. He knew that. He'd known that when he'd signed up.

And it wasn't that he liked risking his life. Quite the opposite, in fact.

It was just.... this job paid well. (Probably because of the whole 'risking your life' thing). And he needed the money.

So he'd keep going. For now.

He rubbed his arms, resolving to bring a jacket next time. If there was a next time.

10 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"I do believe it's time for you to hand over my whiskey. Won't do to have you get drunk on the job. We'd have to get Lady Mistborn over there to Pewter-carry you into the next cavern. Could you ever recover from that?"

Rig let out a long, exaggerated sigh before reluctantly handing the flask back over, noticeably lighter now. "Entertaining as that sounds, I suppose you're right. And what would you all do without your coinshot extraordinaire around!"

Soon after, another woman came up to their little group. I don't remember her from the fighting, thought Rig. And how had she missed what had happened? Last he had checked, the giant worm thrashing about the cavern had been anything but subtle. Rig slipped a hand into his pocket and pulled out a coin to begin flipping it in the air in front of him, trying to decide whether or not she must be joking. 

"Well, I'm not sure how you missed it, but it appears as though we arrived on the doorstep of a feisty allomantic worm. I don't believe we've met yet--Im Rigex, and this is Corette and Wes," he explained, gesturing towards the others. Wes was her own bundle of mysteries--why didn't she talk, instead communicating with some sort of illusions? They were like nothing Rig had ever seen before, seeming to contain their own light rather than relying on some external lamp like the shadow-players in Elendel did.

Looking past the newcomer, Rig thought he saw Sarah talking to Stancel, and thought he heard the word map float over from their conversation. Well, if they were going exploring, Rig was rusting coming along! "Anyone want to come bother the director with me? I'm curious about the rest of these caves; I want to see if we can start checking them out."

He was confident he could handle most of what was in these caves alone, but if Corette and her knife wanted to join that was fine by him.

@ZincAboutIt @AonEne @Voidus

4 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

She bounced on her heels for a minute, then hesitantly walked up to Director Stancel, who was clearly in charge. "Um, excuse me," she said, "But is there something I'm supposed to do? Like mapping the caverns or something?" 

Deb looked up from her clipboard, which was covered in her own cramped handwriting, and restrained her desire to snap at the young volunteer. Keep it together, Deb. She gave a tiny sigh, then relaxed her face into what she hoped was a calm expression. This wasn't the Wings - these people weren't used to extended campaigns, and they needed direction. She looked over the camp; most of the wounded had been healed, and the employees had gathered the majority of their equipment for travel. Althea had already turned the corpse of the worm into water. It was past time to leave this place.

"We are preparing to leave," she said to the young woman - Sarah, she thought her name was. "Gather your belongings, and spread the word. We will be assembling at the far end of the cavern, and heading into the Promenade. A brief scouting of -- aha."

As she spoke, she noticed Rig and a few others approaching. She'd already hoped to assign the Coinshot to the scouting team along with the Seeker Twinborn. Deb would need to pad the scouting troup with new faces; she'd lost several of their best scouts to that damnation worm.

Deb raised her voice so that the others could hear her. "We will be leaving shortly, and should send a party ahead to check the safety of the new tunnel, called the Promenade. Rig, Corette, you're now Scout Leaders. Choose your team, and head off. Your tracking tablet should function to report the all-clear; Corette, I trust you understand the concept of texting. Explain as needed. I will lead the rest of the team after you."

--

Corette listened with half an ear to the Director's orders, already considering her scouting choices. She glanced over at Rig, eager to see him attempt to use the tracking tablet, then took one final swig of whiskey before slipping the flask back into her pack. He'd certainly drunk quite a bit of it, she noticed with minor irritation. Well, she'd just have to find a way to get something from him in return.

Once Stancel had said her piece, Corette nodded to the woman, then motioned to Rig and the others assembled near the Director. She lead them towards the entrance to the tunnel Stancel had mentioned, sending out a flare of Bronze to check for any immediate Investiture signature. She sensed nothing in the vicinity, but that didn't mean it was safe down there. Corette felt herself smile, then turned back to the group.

"Right," she said, blue eyes travelling over the faces before her. "Any of you who don't want to join the scouting team, say so now. The rest of you, tell us your skills. Oh, and someone fetch the mistborn - we can always use a Tineye."

@TrailRunnin @AonEne @Rushu42 @Voidus @I ♥️ Rashek

Anyone else who wants to scout ahead, feel free to say your character over heard and is in the group! :]

Edited by ZincAboutIt

“I’m in,” Myriad said after a moment of consideration, staring down the tunnel. “Why not, right? My skills are not dying when I should and...basically that. Everything else is a side effect.” She raised her eyebrows at Rigex. “I’m Myriad, nice to meet you all. And I did see the worm; I was hoping you could fill me in on how it was doing...” She trailed off. Would it sound stupid to say it had manipulated her emotions? “That weird thing it was doing.” 

@TrailRunnin @ZincAboutIt 

Althea looked at Karin and Adren when she heard Deb speak up again, shouted for volunteers of a scout team. A scout team. Her eyes flicked over to the Underling and she paused, wondered if he would choose to be with that team as well. She wasn't sure about it, but it was his decision. She was who she was, but she didn't plan on ordering him around soon. She would have to hand him back his metalmind, but as she didn't want to interrupt his conversation, she stayed where she was.

"Let's go as well?" She asked them. "I think we have a larger chance to find something alive if we stay with the scouts."

@kenod @ElephantEarwax

"Sure," Karin said with a grin. She walked to the scout group. "I'm in as well," she said cheerfully. "I'm an Epic. For my abilities, I've got an enhanced physiology, high-speed regeneration and partial shapeshifting." She thought for a second. "Ah, as what that means," she continued, "basically, I'm quite a bit faster than normal people, my reflexes are better too, I'm somewhat stronger than I look, but not much, I don't need to breath, drink or sleep, and if I don't get injured or use my abilities I can go without food for a couple months as long as I've fed beforehand. As for shapeshifting..."

She sighed, she disliked talking about this, but it was probably something the others would need to know. "Essentially, I can change parts of my body, grow tentacles, adjust my own biology, that kind of stuff. For example, adjusting the sensitivity of my eyes to deal with little light, or do something like this." With that a number of small tentacles burst out of her hand, mixing together, the black fading, leaving her holding a white knife. She showed it, then flicked her wrist, the knife disintegrating back into black tentacles that got absorbed into her skin.

Corette cocked her head at Myriad, listening, again, to that strange echoing pulsing that came from her direction. Not dying when she should... Well, that was hardly specific. It sounded almost like her Investiture weren't quite attached to her body, or was attached poorly. She'd have to dig a little deeper on Myriad's exact powerset; for now, she gave the girl a small smile.

"Soothing you, you mean?" The woman didn't seem to want to admit that she didn't understand the worm's powers. Foolish pride, Corette thought. Or anxiety about her standing? A good thing to know, in either case. "Rust me if I know how, though you may want to ask those two about it."

She pointed towards Karin and Althea, who had remained speaking about the creature long after the Radiant had Soulcast it into water. Corette was rather delighted to see that her long, slender blade had managed to escape the transformation, and now lay glinting on the floor. Corette crossed the narrow distance and snatched it up, lifting up the leg of her coveralls and sliding the blade back into its sheath. She turned her attention towards the Bendalloy misting now, and pulled out the tracking tablet.

"Right, texting," she said, wrinkling her nose in irritation about playing teacher. Still, they would need to know how to use these things if they wanted to avoid getting hopelessly lost. Corette raised her voice a bit, hoping her voice would carry. "Anyone else who doesn't know how to use this thing -" she raised the tablet in one hand, "-come over here please. You too, extraoridnaire." Corette pointed at Rig, then crooked that same finger back towards herself. "Can't have my fellow Scout Leader wandering around like an idiot."

She launched into a basic explanation of the device: how to turn it on, what the tracking dots meant, and how to send a text message. Corette was sure someone was bound to still be lost, but she'd done what she could. Karin's arrival and subsequent demonstration of her abilities would probably take center stage for the next little bit anyway - no point in talking about 'pressing send' when a woman was turning her hand into a knife. Corette folded her arms, eager to see the group's reactions. This was likely the closest most had ever gotten to a member of the Dark Alley - at least, someone with this level and type of skill.

@AonEne @TrailRunnin @Rushu42

“Soothing,” she muttered. I guess I’ll have to ask someone what that means.

Ignoring the discussion on texting, she turned to the two Corette had gestured at, just in time to see one of them manifest a knife from her hand in a flurry of tentacles. “That’s awesome,” Myriad announced, staring at her hand. “And you’re an Epic? What is that, exactly?” She blinked and looked up, at her face rather than her hand, and blushed. “Ahem. Sorry if that’s a weird question, or personal, or something. I’ve only been here a few weeks.” 

@kenod

Edited by AonEne

Rig was surprised when Stancel made him a scout leader; after all, he was rather new here. At the same time, though, that said a remarkable amount about her ability to read people; He doubted many here were more capable in this type of situation than he, after all. He pulled out the strange black tablet Corette was showing off and began fiddling with the buttons, becoming so engrossed in trying to figure out the various  "apps" and "calls" that he missed whatever some newcomer showed to the group, only looking up at the sound of awed "oooohhs" emanating from the scouts around him. 

Rig pulled aside his jacket and inserted the tablet into a pocket for later. He would figure it out later, he supposed. He glanced arount the group of scouts, trying to pick out those he already knew while evaluating the ones he didn't with an appraising eye. 

A few of them, like Corette and the newcomer, seemed capable enough. One or two were among those who had frozen during the fight earlier, and he would rather not have them on his squad. He made his way over to Corette, and lowered his voice so that the rest of the group wouldn't hear.

"Which of these do you want? I'd rather not babysit anyone, but it seems like we might have to."

@ZincAboutIt

3 minutes ago, AonEne said:

“Soothing,” she muttered. I guess I’ll have to ask someone what that means.

Ignoring the discussion on texting, she turned to the two Corette had gestured at, just in time to see one of them manifest a knife from her hand in a flurry of tentacles. That’s awesome,” Myriad announced, staring at her hand. “And you’re an Epic? What is that, exactly?” She blinked and looked up, at her face rather than her hand, and blushed. “Ahem. Sorry if that’s a weird question, or personal, or something. I’ve only been here a few weeks.” 

@kenod

Karin looked at Myriad, thinking about how to explain Epics. "It's not a weird question," she said, trying to reassure the girl. "Epics are kind of like the magic-users of my world, which is one of the earth variants. Basically, the main difference with other magic-users is that each of us has their own set of abilities, unlike magic-users from other worlds, where specific types of magic-users always have the same abilities. There are some common types of abilities, but every Epic has a specific, unique set of abilities, and their abilities generally have specific quirks to them. Each Epic also has their own weakness, which is unique to them. Triggering it cancels their abilities."

She thought about what Myriad had said, about how her abilities were 'awesome'. It had been a while since someone had last used that particular term, and she wondered if she would feel the same way about it once she saw some of the more ... scary things she could do.

10 minutes ago, kenod said:

Karin wondered if she would feel the same way about it once she saw some of the more ... scary things she could do.

I’ll have to make a point of having Myriad still be starry-eyed :P 

“Interesting, thank you,” she said politely, wondering what it would feel feel like to be able to control your own biology that way. Maybe after all this she could try it out sometime...but not now, there was too much that wouldn’t work out in that situation. 

Althea followed Karin over and gave a sign to Deb, that she would join the scouting group as well. "Althea. I'm an Elsecaller. So should anybe get stuck somewhere, I can get you out." It reduced her abilities mostly to small part, but she didn't mind. There was no need for her to run around and tell everybody what she was able to do. Those who had some idea about Roshar would know, and the others could ask. It wasn't her job to educate all of them about Investiture.

She listened to Karin explain what Epics were to a girl and nodded at her in greeting. Myriad, given the name she had introduced herself with. "Would you mind to tell us, where you come from?" She asked the girl curiously. If she hadn't heard about Epics at all, there was a chance she had arrived only recently in the Alleyverse.

@AonEne @kenod @ZincAboutIt

2 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"Would you mind to tell us, where you come from?" She asked the girl curiously. If she hadn't heard about Epics at all, there was a chance she had arrived only recently in the Alleyverse.

@AonEne @kenod @ZincAboutIt

“I’m also from an Earth,” Myriad told her. “Definitely not one with Epics, though.” Elsecaller. That was something she had heard of; one of the main things people had actually talked about had been Knights Radiant. She was still fuzzy on the details, but she could learn all that later. “You’re from...Roshar, then, right?” 

Corette raised a finger to her lips and tapped them, thinking. She'd been musing along the same lines as Rig, judging by his comments. Plenty of these people had valuable skills, but only a few had the disposition truly suited to this type of work. Still, there were uses for the strays. She gave him a sidelong glance, eyes flicking over his face, trying to read his expression. 

"The Slider, for certain, and Allri of course. She might be fresh as new snow but she'll still be useful." Corette pointed at Karin. "That one is worth at least five people on her own - at least five. The Dark Alley wouldn't send someone who couldn't keep up. And I'd almost be willing to take that new fellow, the one who healed me, for practicality alone. The white-haired Elsecaller is worth her weight too, despite her little freeze-up back there. As for the rest..."

Corette trailed off, then turned to face Rig head-on. She had to tip her head back a bit to look him in the eye - that was a bit irritating, but couldn't be helped. He had a keen, clever look to him, confident - almost arrogant. The Coinshot didn't seem the type for sentiment, at least not when it didn't suit him. Still, she chose her next words carefully.

"Well, there's always a place for the durable, yet inexperienced. You seem like the practical type, Mister Lekal. Realistic. I have a feeling we both know how the world works - any world. Every world. How better to learn than to be put in the line of fire, yes? If they can keep up, they'll soon match our pace. If not..." She shrugged, her small smile not quite reaching her eyes. She stepped even closer, voice low. "Well, sometimes people die taking the hit for their fellows. Collateral damage and all that. Tragic, but... well. Everyone has their place."  

@TrailRunnin

4 minutes ago, AonEne said:

“I’m also from an Earth,” Myriad told her. “Definitely not one with Epics, though.” Elsecaller. That was something she had heard of; one of the main things people had actually talked about had been Knights Radiant. She was still fuzzy on the details, but she could learn all that later. “You’re from...Roshar, then, right?” 

Earth. Earth was a strange planet and she planed on visiting them one day. There were several, and while they shared some aspects, they were so different in others.

"Yes, originally. I left years ago." She noted Corette and Rig talking, made a mental note to observe these two. Slowly she considered who else would be coming along, who she might have to keep an eye on. The girl had stated, that she didn't die when she was supposed to, so there was huge chance she was able to regenerate quickly as well. Adren, Wes, Sarah were the weakest ones, although they could have some hidden skills she didn't know of. Easy to kill if they ended up in a wrong situation. She knew, that she wasn't responsible for them, apart from Wes at least, but somehow she knew that she would try to get all of them out one way or the other. They had lost enough lives during the last months and depending on the situation it wouldn't even be exhausting to get them out of harms way. It couldn't hurt to try to keep an eye on them.

Althea focused on Myriad again. "If you have any questions, just ask them." She repeated Deb's offer.

10 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

Finally, he shook his head slowly. “Maybe the ‘calmness’ is from shock. Or maybe all of the rust that’s happening in my life is just numbing me.”

56 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"Right," she said, blue eyes travelling over the faces before her. "Any of you who don't want to join the scouting team, say so now. The rest of you, tell us your skills. Oh, and someone fetch the mistborn - we can always use a Tineye."

Allri stood there for a while, thinking about the boy's words. Knowing that someone else was feeling some of the same things, even if they didn't show it, made her feel better somehow. She didn't feel as much like an inexperienced little girl out of her depth, even if, compared to most of the party, she still was. It was nice to feel normal, instead of wondering if she was just not ready when everyone else could deal with it.

Hearing Corette's voice in the distance brought her back to reality. The woman was gathering a scouting party, and Allri overheard her saying "fetch the mistborn". Unless there was another Mistborn here, that was her cue. She nodded to the boy. "Well, time for me to go. They want me with the scouts, and I don't think a good idea to keep them waiting. See you around. I'm Allri, by the way."

She walked over to the scout group, carefully stepping around puddles of Soulcast water. When she arrived, Corette was explaining how to "text". Surprisingly, Allri understood most of it, even though she'd never seen the devices before. She took a tracking tablet, then turned to the rest of the group, where the scouts were introducing themselves and their abilities. The woman who'd been cut out of the worm was there, showing off her abilities to another girl, who introduced herself as Myriad. There were a lot of terms flying around that Allri didn't know well, but combining her TUBA briefings with the explanations here, she had some idea of what most people could do. Maybe she'd get a better idea after seeing them in action. And if everyone else was introducing themselves, then maybe she'd better do the same.

"Hi, I'm Allri. I'm a Mistborn."

@AonEne @Sorana @kenod

6 minutes ago, I ♥️ Rashek said:

"Hi, I'm Allri. I'm a Mistborn."

Althea turned towards the woman that joined their group. Allri, a mistborn. They were rare, so rare that she only once met one so far. It was interesting that Allri appeared so suddenly and a little bit too late as well. Chance? Maybe. Unlikely. This was Alleycity after all. Things rarely happened by chance. Another fact to keep in mind. With an internal smiled she realized, that she was keeping an eye on almost everybody by now. Typical her. Try to know everything, to learn everything, to control it.

"I'm Althea." She repeated her name. "An Elsecaller. It's nice to meet you."

She paused for a moment, then realized something else. Mistborn. That meant she could soothe. And riot.

"Did you riot me earlier ?" She asked calmly, although she felt her throat constrict at the memory. A mistborn. Valuable, but dangerous. Allri could- she cut the thought off. Wait for her reply, then decide what to do.

Sarah stared at the girl who had just approached. A Mistborn. Most of the terms she hadn't understood, but Mistborn she knew. The light emanating from her tablet, as they had called it, shifted, and she turned her attention back to it. Based on the other ACE employee's description, it was just a tracker dot moving. Sarah looked back up, then glanced at Myriad. She had met the woman yesterday, and took a few steps over to her. "So, this is pretty crazy, huh?" She asked. "A Mistborn, an ... Epic, and a giant worm. This party's already off to a great start." She didn't mention the casualties, but the knowledge still hung like the mists over every conversation.

@AonEne

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

"Did you riot me earlier ?" She asked calmly, although she felt her throat constrict at the memory. A mistborn. Valuable, but dangerous. Allri could- she cut the thought off. Wait for her reply, then decide what to do.

Althea asked the question calmly enough, but Allri could see the unease in her eyes, hear the tension in her voice. This was someone who did not like Rioters. Allri wasn't surprised-people liked to keep their own heads to themselves, and whenever a Soother or Rioter was around, they would suspect manipulation. It was a common enough response, but almost always unjustified. Soothers were real people, not some society of evil overlords who enjoyed having brainwashed servants. Lord Ruler, her own father had been a Soother! She'd seen how people reacted to him, even though he hadn't done anything to them. Now she was the one being reacted to.

Allri met the older woman's gaze, looking deep into her red eyes. "Yes, I Rioted you. I Rioted everyone. People were dying out there because they didn't feel like moving, and I had to help them."

She smiled, then continued. "I heard that wearing a tinfoil hat makes you immune to Soothing. You might want to give that a try, if you hate it so much."

@Sorana

“Thanks, I will,” Myriad said to Althea, then looked at Sarah. “Absolutely crazy. I don’t know what I expected to find down here, but giant worms with magical powers weren’t it.” She shrugged. “All the Investiture is equally crazy-sounding to me. Mistborn and Epic? No different from Elsecaller.” A grin. “Mistborn and Elsecaller are awesome names, though.” @Rushu42

23 minutes ago, AonEne said:

“Thanks, I will,” Myriad said to Althea, then looked at Sarah. “Absolutely crazy. I don’t know what I expected to find down here, but giant worms with magical powers weren’t it.” She shrugged. “All the Investiture is equally crazy-sounding to me. Mistborn and Epic? No different from Elsecaller.” A grin. “Mistborn and Elsecaller are awesome names, though.” @Rushu42

Sarah grinned back. "Agreed. If nothing else, we have to appreciate the genius of whomever came up with them. Speaking of names, does that worm thing have one yet?"

3 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Sarah grinned back. "Agreed. If nothing else, we have to appreciate the genius of whomever came up with them. Speaking of names, does that worm thing have one yet?"

“You know what, I don’t think so.” Myriad raised an eyebrow. “Got any suggestions?” 

Just now, AonEne said:

“You know what, I don’t think so.” Myriad raised an eyebrow. “Got any suggestions?” 

"I was trying to come up with some," she confessed. "Turns out I'm really rusting bad at naming things. Best I came up with was the 'Still Water Worm'. You know, because it came from the water, and it stills your emotions." She shrugged. "Like I said."

17 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

"I was trying to come up with some," she confessed. "Turns out I'm really rusting bad at naming things. Best I came up with was the 'Still Water Worm'. You know, because it came from the water, and it stills your emotions." She shrugged. "Like I said."

“What about Emotionkiller?” Myriad suggested.