Mistcloak

Eclipse werewolf

I was thinking of being a Mistborn for Halloween, I tried searching online to buy a mist cloak but the only one I could find was $70 so I tried to find ways I could make it on my own but all the things I found were confusing to me. My friend told me to just buy a fleece cloak cut strips in it, buy some extra fleece to overlay some straps and to make the capelet. Would that work? Or would I just look dumb?

Edited by Eclipse werewolf

I have a couple friends that made them with a sort of gauzy gray fabric, but it didn’t turn out great. Arcanum Unbounded has a decent picture in it. 

I think the fleece jacket cut into strips would work alright but a Mistcloak is more of a mistcape so no sleeves. What I would probably do is get a large sheet of fleece and cut it (I wouldn’t know just how) into a large cape with a hood and clasp and what not  then I’d cut the bottom half into the strips add on more fleece for the strips on the top. 

Keep in mind though all of this advise is coming from 0 sewing experience and a vague mental image.

DBB24151-5B7D-4EF2-9CE9-65C3FF0E979E.jpeg

Edited by Truthwatcher_17.5

9 hours ago, Eclipse werewolf said:

I was thinking of being a Mistborn for Halloween, I tried searching online to buy a mist cloak but the only one I could find was $70 so I tried to find ways I could make it on my own but all the things I found were confusing to me. My friend told me to just buy a fleece cloak cut strips in it, buy some extra fleece to overlay some straps and to make the capelet. Would that work? Or would I just look dumb?

I fugured our how to make one awhile ago, but never got around to it. No, wool won’t work. It’s too heavy.

You need three fabrics: silk, organza, and tulle. Silk is used to form the hood, the shoulders, and the base layer of the cloak. Organza forms the majority of the strips (second and third layer). The final, top layer, is the tulle. Use silvery grey as your color. Tie knots near the bottom of the strips to add weight and to create the tassels of the cloak. You can also tie a few strips together. The final effect should be a cloak that is constantly in motion, with strips of fabric fluttering about.

I’m pretty sure actual mistcloaks are made from some form of silk, as it is both incredibly strong and light and is the only fabric that could produce the effect described. (Note that organza and tulle are both made from silk.)

On the other hand, you could probably buy a random gray cape and cut it up. The above would probably be more authentic though.

Now, does any one know how to carve obsidian into a knife?

use glass knives.

I saw a really nice was at a signing in Seattle. They had used this black somewhat velvety material for the inside. The outside layer was a more shimmery material. They also used glass knives that they had custom made. (They might have been made out of plastic actually, not sure, but they were the representation of glass knives from MB)

14 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

use glass knives.

I saw a really nice was at a signing in Seattle. They had used this black somewhat velvety material for the inside. The outside layer was a more shimmery material. They also used glass knives that they had custom made. (They might have been made out of plastic actually, not sure, but they were the representation of glass knives from MB)

Volcanic glass is obsidian. It’s an old material for knives. I have obsidian. I just don’t know how to turn it into the shape I want. 

image.jpg

• Chaos locked this topic