[I sense backstory. Hmmmmm....]

Sarian nodded. "I guess it is a pretty stupid way of doing things. Basing biases off of something you can't control. Either way... thank you. But I'd prefer it if we were partners. You know?" She grinned. "And I also kill. Well. I mean, if i've spilled my biggest secret, what do I have to hide? I'm an assassin. For other assassins. I know, it's weird. But I don't think that I'm a good enough person for you to lend your services too. There are better people out there." Her eyes suddenly gave off the impression of one, though not even 30, who has gone through more than most would go through in lifetimes. "The world is a cruel place. You're one of the good people. The very few. And- uh- thanks. I never expected anyone to compliment my eyes, of all things... Anyway. I'm not great with medical stuff, but I've seen people bandage others and I'm sure I could replicate it. Oh- you would make a better noble than any I've met, too. Except for my parents. They were good ones, too. But they died. Insanity. Took both of them." She waved her hands in front of her. "But lets not make this about me. I'm sure I have some good cloth somewhere..." She rummaged around in her bad [I forgot to mention she has one...] and pulled out a shirt. "I can probably rip this up and use it for your leg."

@HOID WANTS INSTANT NOODLES

Edited by SymphonianBookworm

Well I suppose our paths will bring us different ways then. Said the koloss somewhat ruefully as his leg was bandaged. I have no grudge with assasins, mind you. I also dont hate killing inherently. I just have done enough of it for twenty men. Though it feels pretentious of me i would like to ask you something. If you find any information on the nature of hemalurgy, tell me. Be careful with the people who you spend time with, the underground can get even the most clever assasin killed. Roul paused. "you know, he said, I never actually have had any experience with the underground. None that I can remember at least. he grimaced. the words just kind of slipped into my mouth, like I was remembering a dream or something. Before all the pain. Roul turned away and them looked up. If you ever need help, he said, I will give it to you. 

@SymphonianBookworm

Edited by HOID WANTS INSTANT NOODLES

Sarian shrugged unabashedly. “I actually would like us to be partners. That was my way of being polite. I mean, if you don’t want to, that’s fine, but I usually base who I trust on first meetings. Well, from what I can tell, you don’t mean anyone any harm, which is... new to me.” Sarian said excitedly, “and we could make a detective agency!!” She paused. “I mean; that’s if you want to. And by the way... I’ve seen people offering... cookies to passerbys. I’ve heard that they were hemalurgically spiked. That’s all I know, but... I do have a few contacts I could go to if you need it. Also, how do you re-tar roof tiles...?”

@HOID WANTS INSTANT NOODLES

Tashi watched everything with mild amusement, though she began to store health as soon as the woman mentioned that she could “kill people.”

That would be useful information, very likely, though hopefully not so intimately useful. Briefly she wondered which of the two - the koloss or the young woman - would be more likely to kill her in the night. Probably the girl. She had that slightly wild look to her.

“Right, well, no killin in here and your business is your own.”

Also in this timeline no one is offering spiked cookies, the DA operates in secret.

Edited by ZincAboutIt

Oh- well, I thought it would be fun to add. The secret trade of hemalurgical cookies. 

Sarian immediately wheeled on Tashi, her expression not the smiling one before, but one of hardened stone. "You were eavesdropping? I thought this was a safe place. Storms, why does everyone always assume that I'm going to kill them just because I can!" She furiously shook her head. "People always assume things about me. Why? Why? I'm an assassin, yes. I'M AN ASSASSIN! Do I enjoy killing? No. Do I want to kill? No. Will I kill to help the world? The answer is yes. And I will plan and work and hide and scheme to achieve my goals. But I'm not evil. Not like some of the people out there." 

She looked surprised she had said all of that. "Sorry about that... outburst. I haven't been getting a lot of sleep lately." The dark shadows under her eyes are very fierce.

@ZincAboutIt @HOID WANTS INSTANT NOODLES

[She's not a very stable person.]

Tashi gave a tiny sigh and took a little bottle out from behind the counter. 

“You’re talking in the main room of my boarding house,” she said, pouring three glasses of light violet wine. “It’s not eavesdropping, it’s hearing. And I hardly care what you do for a living, as long as you don’t cause trouble here. This is a safe place - but not just for you. I’ve got a whole house full of patrons to look out for.”

Tashi nudged the two glasses towards Roul and Sarian. “On the house.”

@HOID WANTS INSTANT NOODLES @SymphonianBookworm

9 hours ago, HOID WANTS INSTANT NOODLES said:

Roul hauled himself up onto the roof, his scrape leg bleeding dark red. He shook his head at Sarian. Spark likes you. Spark is a good judge of character. Besidescant use money for much. Nobody wants to sell to a koloss, bad for buisness. Most of them try to scam me anyways, they think that just because I am a koloss I cant recognize a bad trade. I recognize . Anyways Spark's theory was right, he said pointing to the sphere in her hand. It was dun. It seems like you might be in need of some stormlight anyways he said with a wink. He pulled out three more spheres. not much money but all fully infused. I've never seen spark act like that around another spren, he stage whispered to sarian. " I think he might have a crush" roul winced as his skin was pinched by an angry dustspren

(69th post, nice)

@SymphonianBookworm

please use quotation marks, it's hurting my head to unwind the speech from the not-speech.

The one legged man, Demaren, sighed. This was like most places back home, then. Secrets, secrets, and more secrets. Silly people distinguishing by features instead of what people could do and why they did such things. 

"Tashi, isn't it?" he asked. "I'm looking for a source for paired gemstones, and other fabrial-type gems."

@ZincAboutIt

Sarian raised her glass. “To secrets.” She figured her screaming had not been a very good first impression. At all. Well, it looked like the very judgmental lady was being talked to by the other dude, so Sarian could relax. Not that she was going to actually drink what she had given her. I mean, Sarian probably wasn’t going to be killed during the night, by she wasn’t sure she trusted these people. Either way, she’d be staying up all night. 

Not that she had a choice in the matter. Sleep was not a friend, acquaintance, or even something she saw often. Sometimes she feared she’d never sleep again. But she couldn’t. Dreams. Even back when she had been locked up, she couldn’t sleep for fear someone would kill her or her parents. And whenever she did fall asleep—the dreaded thing, though necessary—the dreams would haunt her. Sometimes the only things keeping her going were Stormlight. 

She set her glass down and began to finish roof re-tarring. 

@HOID WANTS INSTANT NOODLES @EmulatonStromenkiin @ZincAboutIt

I’m not sure. We could probably scout out some abandoned buildings that are still relatively intact... and we could ask for work for money (like you’ve been doing).

Sarian looked up from her work. She’d seen Roul doing it, so she could do it as well as him. She was quick to catch on to things [Mastermind!]. “Yeah. What should we call it? Uh... what’s your last name? If you have one or if you feel comfortable sharing, that is. Oh- Tashi- is there anything else I can do? Me and Roul can work together fixing stuff or something,” she said. “I can work out documents, taxes, really any paperwork. I can write, too. Stories, opinionated paragraphs or essays, really anything. It’s what I’ve been doing for... most of my life.” She smiled sadly. Then froze. “But I can’t write in front of you. I... no. Don’t ask me to. Just don’t.”

@HOID WANTS INSTANT NOODLES @ZincAboutIt

1 hour ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

Demaren nodded at Tashi, then stumped away.

Ah! Realized your tag slipped through my notice. Please do tag me again if I don’t respond within a day or two, it’s not on purpose. We can retcon to say that she actually can exchange lower denominations of infused spheres and the rest can be traded for at a local bank for small interest fee.

11 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Ah! Realized your tag slipped through my notice. Please do tag me again if I don’t respond within a day or two, it’s not on purpose. We can retcon to say that she actually can exchange lower denominations of infused spheres and the rest can be traded for at a local bank for small interest fee.

... that's not relevant to my Character's question, he needs paired fabrial gems, both standard and uneven. I was fine with you not responding for a few days, I just needed him out of the tavern for linear things in other threads. I wasn't even here for a few days.

• 3 weeks later...

Balance woke as a small tremor rippled through the city. Most of what he saw was in his Framesight, which he had gotten used to in the mornings. However, the lines were twisting violently in the faint tremor that he had felt. And he felt a ... twisting, like the twist in the lines was trying to bend him, too. He rushed to get dressed, then ran to Aln's room, and knocked on the door. By the time she opened the door, the twisting was like a fire burning through him, making it hard for him to see. 

"The Lines ... they BURN!" he managed to rasp out in a strangled voice, then collapsed on the floor in front of her room door.

@Rushu42, @mathiau

sorry for double posting, but this holds no relevance to my previous post.

On 09/06/2022 at 0:07 AM, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

Balance blinked, clearing his eyes of tears. It had been a long time since he had listened to that song. He eyed the spren for a moment, this was the first time he had confirmation that Folorian was a Radiant. Slowly, his stance relaxed.

"Yes, spren. I'm not sure of your name, we have not been introduced. I will play the song again," he said horsley. He touched the button on the device again, and the song played once more. As the song played, Balance explained it as best he could.

"This is a song used ... once commonly used during funerals on my home world. It was sung at other times, and I used to find peace in it. I'm not sure I can give you the exact translation, but it is about finding peace in sadness, hope in despair. In this recording, my ... friend, Abby, was singing."

@mathiau

A song to give peace to the weary hearts. Somehow this felt fitting at the moment, as if the universe itself was mourning someone and couldn't let go.

"Thanks you again, Balance" Folorian said as he went to Aln's room

"Aln? Are you awake? I have something for you" he said as he knocked on her door

@Rushu42

On 09/07/2022 at 7:00 PM, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

Balance woke as a small tremor rippled through the city. Most of what he saw was in his Framesight, which he had gotten used to in the mornings. However, the lines were twisting violently in the faint tremor that he had felt. And he felt a ... twisting, like the twist in the lines was trying to bend him, too. He rushed to get dressed, then ran to Aln's room, and knocked on the door. By the time she opened the door, the twisting was like a fire burning through him, making it hard for him to see. 

"The Lines ... they BURN!" he managed to rasp out in a strangled voice, then collapsed on the floor in front of her room door.

Side note: in case this is about what the Stranger is doing, I don't think he has actually done anything yet and is just preparing for latter so I don't think Balance should be able to feel it

3 hours ago, mathiau said:

Side note: in case this is about what the Stranger is doing, I don't think he has actually done anything yet and is just preparing for latter so I don't think Balance should be able to feel it

this has absolutely nothing to do with what the Stranger is doing, though it could. I posted Balance's thing before I knew the post about the Stranger was out, but at this point he is sensitive to any tweakings in the spirit threads. I manufactured a minor quake to show shifts in the WorldForgery, which are part of what triggered the episode.

Passersby stared as Orodal Somar limped down the street. His profile was marked by fine contrasts: ash-gray eyes starkly laid against jet black hair, a twisted leg unmistakable among a muscular, upright frame, a slack left arm that distinctly opposed a vigorous right. His distinguished features were elegant and sharp, but his visage was irrevocably marred by a series of ghastly scars that trailed across his left eye. Somehow, though, this added to his dignant mein, giving him an air of experience and wisdom. His clothes were dark and simple, with a mysterious emblem featured prominently on his left shoulder. A enormous blade rested along his back inside a silvery gray sheath that had writing sprawled along both sides of it. As Orodal hobbled forward, not one sound came from his impassive mouth until he opened the door.

"May I have a room?" he asked.

Edited by Shining Silhouette
formating

Sarian walked up with a half-smile. "Nice to meet you. My name is Sarian. The house is pretty full right now, but there should be some room. What's your name? Where do you come from?" She was a pretty lighteyed woman of medium height with a safehand glove. There was something off about her. Maybe it was the dark circles under her eyes.

@Shining Silhouette

A Herdazian-looking woman in her mid-twenties leaned over the bar, smiling brightly.

”You’re just in time, gancho. Nearly all booked! But I’ve got a room if you’ve got the money. I’ll warn you though, you be careful about that blade. Draw it here in anger and you’re out.”

The momentary stern expression on her face cleared back into a sunny grin. “Name’s Tashi. Can I get you a drink?”

@Shining Silhouette

Orodal narrowed his one functioning eye at the lighteyed woman. He thought he knew this type—slightly insane and marginally dangerous"I was told I might find lodging here," he said, looking at her straight in the eye. "My name is Orodal, of Alethkar." Better watch out for her, he thought.

He turned to the Herdazian woman. "I can respect the rules. And yes, I have the money," he pulled a trio of firemarks and tossed them onto the bar table. "I'd like a Red lager." He said, speaking slowly and impassively. "A room as well if you can spare it."

@ZincAboutIt @SymphonianBookworm

Sarian raised her eyebrows. He certainly seemed... like an interesting person. Did he just judge me? Hm... he could be a threat. Or an ally. I wonder if he's a Radiant... He knows his way around. He's used to getting what he wants. He has had authority in his life, or is just unnaturally confident. Is he pretending to be bored? Or is he actually? What's up with the blade? Where did he find it or get it? Did he buy it or steal it? Who is he? She would keep an eye on him. Sarian wished she could away so she could write things down, but the thought of pulling out a pen and writing in front of them made her feel sick. So she just took note of these things and more as she watched him go to the bar. She wandered up to the bar, quietly humming a little tune she wasn't sure where she heard. She decided blunt would be best with a man like this. She turned to him, asking, "Are you a Radiant? Where have you come from?" Considering the question, she amended, "What have you been through to get here?"

@Shining Silhouette

Tashi swept the three firemarks off the bar with one hand and reached beneath the bar with the other to open a small refrigerator. She took out a chilled glass and set it beneath a single tap, pulling the handle until the foam reached the rim.

”There you go, gancho,” she said with a wink, pushing the glass toward the newcomer. “Always nice to meet another Rosharan. And I’ll just check the book to see which room is left over…”

Tashi ducked over to the register book, then took a key off a hook labeled “6”. 

“There you go,” she said, setting the key beside the glass of lager. “I’ll admit, I haven’t seen an Alethi order lager before.”

@Shining Silhouette

Orodal stared forward with a thoughtful expression. He wasn't sure how much to trust this woman, as often there was a fine line in dealing with such peopleThere was something strange about her, but he couldn't put his finger on it. He took his time before replying, considering his words carefully. "My name is Orodal," he repeated, leaning back against the wall. "Why I'm here... well, I've been looking for someone for a very long time".

He turned towards the bar and picked up his drink, holding it up to the light. "I'm not like most Alethi," he said to the Herdazian, with a strange note in his voice, then sat down with his drink and room key.

@SymphonianBookworm @ZincAboutIt

Edited by Shining Silhouette

Sarian raised her eyebrows. That was a very good response. Obviously she wasn’t to be trusted by Orodal, and he could answer her question while leaving even more questions left, and not actually give her a real response. She nodded. He wouldn’t answer any more questions about his past, she could tell. Best to end that string of conversation there. “Why the sword?” She asked jokingly, but with a hint of actual truthfulness and something like suspicion (though that wouldn’t properly describe it); “You out for vengeance? There’s someone you want to kill?”

@Shining Silhouette