Just now, ZincAboutIt said:

“Of course,” Tashi said, setting down a glass she had been drying. “Anything in particular you’d like to hear?”

What would be the best music for someone who have never heard any?

"I don't really have anything specific but I think it'd be better if it was something soft?"

Tashi thought for a moment, then smiled. “I know just the thing.”

She stepped over to the phonograph and flicked through the records before finding one labeled “Light Waltzes.” Tashi set the record on the spoke, cranked the lever, and lowered the needle. Soon, a pleasant, sweet melody filled the main room.

@mathiau

Balance walked down to the main room of the boarding house, cloak pulled up over his head and hiding in the shadows by habit. He saw Folorian talking with Tashi, though a bit awkwardly, and smiled wearily. He missed horribly the interactions with other people, even the awkward ones he now looked back on fondly. But with what had happened before, and what mistakes he had made, he did not dare get to close to people. He slumped against the wall in a moment of weakness, the framesight fading out as much as it could, these days. That was another thing he should probably look into. His weakness being activated should kill the sight completely, as it had in his first days in Alleycity. But now, he always saw a glimmer of it, and it worried him. He heard Folorian ask for some music to be put on, and he remembered a small device that he had kept for ages in his pocket, it held a sound recording. He pulled it out now, and fingered it. He pushed back his hood, and walked into the main room.

Balance tapped Folorian on the shoulder.

@mathiau, @ZincAboutIt?

side query, how does the cognitive realm work in the Alleyverse?

Edited by EmulatonStromenkiin

1 minute ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

side query, how does the cognitive realm work in the Alleyverse?

Literally no idea XD We haven’t nailed it down in canon yet really, and this era would be an especially odd time to do it with the Forgery surely changing a good deal. We also don’t have many characters that spend time in the CR sooo yeah idk

3 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Literally no idea XD We haven’t nailed it down in canon yet really, and this era would be an especially odd time to do it with the Forgery surely changing a good deal. We also don’t have many characters that spend time in the CR sooo yeah idk

how about people who see into it? b/c they would see something really odd with balance, and I want to engineer that at some point.

Folorian felt a touch on his shoulder and turned to see Balance. Rust, it was the worse possible moment.

"Excuse-me, I'm trying to record something for Aln, can you please wait until the music is over?"

Without waiting for an answer he shifted his focus on the music and started storing his short-term memory

@EmulatonStromenkiin

1 hour ago, mathiau said:

Folorian felt a touch on his shoulder and turned to see Balance. Rust, it was the worse possible moment.

"Excuse-me, I'm trying to record something for Aln, can you please wait until the music is over?"

Without waiting for an answer he shifted his focus on the music and started storing his short-term memory

@EmulatonStromenkiin

ah, k. After song is done, following scene, removing it and editing it from previous post.

Balance nodded, and waited for the music to finish. After it was done, and Folorian was paying attention, he set the small cube down at a table and bushed the one button on it. There was a slightly scratchy sound, like a record player being set up, and the recording began to play. A haunting melody issued from it, the notes and words in a tongue that Balance remembered well from his childhood, but doubted anyone else would know. The song was simultaneously hopeful and sad, and reverberated in his every molecule. The tune seemed to convey, even without the words, that it was possible to find peace, even when others were dead. It was the last remnant he had from his home. Tears streamed down his face from his living-gold eyes as he recalled the past.

@mathiau

1 hour ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

Balance nodded, and waited for the music to finish. After it was done, and Folorian was paying attention, he set the small cube down at a table and bushed the one button on it. There was a slightly scratchy sound, like a record player being set up, and the recording began to play. A haunting melody issued from it, the notes and words in a tongue that Balance remembered well from his childhood, but doubted anyone else would know. The song was simultaneously hopeful and sad, and reverberated in his every molecule. The tune seemed to convey, even without the words, that it was possible to find peace, even when others were dead. It was the last remnant he had from his home. Tears streamed down his face from his living-gold eyes as he recalled the past.

@mathiau

Folorian smiled as he recorded the second song in another coopermind. He thanked him when it ended.
"Hmm... Could you play it again?" Kerr interrupted "For Folorian this time. Maybe explain what the words mean too? Alanis might want to know."

22 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Folorian smiled as he recorded the second song in another coopermind. He thanked him when it ended.
"Hmm... Could you play it again?" Kerr interrupted "For Folorian this time. Maybe explain what the words mean too? Alanis might want to know."

Balance blinked, clearing his eyes of tears. It had been a long time since he had listened to that song. He eyed the spren for a moment, this was the first time he had confirmation that Folorian was a Radiant. Slowly, his stance relaxed.

"Yes, spren. I'm not sure of your name, we have not been introduced. I will play the song again," he said horsley. He touched the button on the device again, and the song played once more. As the song played, Balance explained it as best he could.

"This is a song used ... once commonly used during funerals on my home world. It was sung at other times, and I used to find peace in it. I'm not sure I can give you the exact translation, but it is about finding peace in sadness, hope in despair. In this recording, my ... friend, Abby, was singing."

@mathiau

[Hi everyone... I hate to jump in here, but I was told that this was a good place to go if you were new. If I'm doing something wrong, let me know. :)]

Sarian was cold. She hated being cold. Unfortunate things like that were for other people, not her. Whenever she shivered, the scars on her stomach hurt. She knew they weren't supposed to. She had gotten them years ago, and whenever she had gotten them checked, everyone said that they shouldn't be a bother. Yet they were. Something to do with psychological trauma or something. Either way, it was cold out, the city she was in was ruined, and she was tired. Then again, when wasn't she? I don't like the look of this place. Too many dark corners. Too many hiding spots. Too much Ruin. It reminds me of... She shook her head to clear it from that particular train of thought. It wouldn't help her. I'm fine... I'm fine... I'm fine... she repeated to herself.

Up ahead, she saw a building with the lights on inside. With her fists clenched, she walked a bit faster than what would be considered normal, and finally reached it. She probably should have been more wary, but she wasn't feeling very cautious at the moment. She opened the door in a hurry, and before waiting for an Okay to go inside, she stepped in. It'll be fine. I can hear voices, and they don't seem to be particularly menacing. If I'm turned out, I'll at least have gotten inside a bit.

"Hello," she called out.

Edited by SymphonianBookworm
T y p o . . .

I large blue figure walks up to the door outside the boarding house, introducing himself as Roul. Though he is koloss he appears to be far more restrained than most koloss. Roul asks If he could rent a room in the boarding house, saying that he has no money but would be happy to to do physical labour to pay for his stay.

Edited by HOID WANTS INSTANT NOODLES
Typo

Sarian looked at the newcomer (not that she wasn't one). He appeared to be a koloss. She had heard of them, or course---who hadn't?---but he seemed... calmer, in some way, than she had assumed most would be. She hadn't met any in person, so the blue skin was... new. Still, she filed away everything she saw, to see if it would help her later on. Blue. Seems like he's restraining himself. He wants to work? I suppose I should ask, too, though... even though I hate doing work like that. I hate to do work like that... back then. But that's in the past. Nothinglikethatwillhappenagain. Nothinglikethatwillhappenagain. I need to work. I need the money. She shook her head, sadly chuckling to herself. And it comes back to money again. "Might I work too? So I can afford rent?" She gritted her teeth, hating to sound so... in need. She had told herself she wouldn't need anyone ever again, yet here she was...
She turned to the koloss. He said his name was... what was it... Roul? "Roul. It's a pleasure to meet you." She made herself smile, though it didn't come naturally.

21 hours ago, HOID WANTS INSTANT NOODLES said:

Tashi poked her head out from the kitchen, a smudge of flour on her deep tan cheek.

”Hello! Two more new faces and it’s tight quarters these days but I do think we’ve got a bit of space left.” Her eyes lingered on the koloss man, Roul. She’d met plenty of koloss blooded folk, but she’d never seen a true one before. Still, he seemed calm and cogent enough, and Heralds knew they needed someone to do some hard work around here.

”Roof needs re-tarring and some new tiles. Can you help with that? If ya can you can sleep in the back annex and all your meals are free.”

@HOID WANTS INSTANT NOODLES @SymphonianBookworm

Sarian gulped. She had faced monsters, insanity, cruelty...
but roof re-tarring? Not something she wanted to be a part of. "Sure," she forced out before she could change her mind. Remember, these people don't know you. For all they can tell, you're some nice lighteyed lady. "We don't have to... share in the back annex, right? How big is it? Will we get our own sheets and blankets?" The new person looked nice enough, but Sarian kept an eye on her. Nice people usually turned out... to be not as nice as they seemed.

@ZincAboutIt

Tashi raised an eyebrow at the woman. She was clearly unused to manual labor, and Tashi was surprised she’d even agreed, lighteyed as she was. “Floors also need polishing if that seems less daunting, Brightness.” She grinned a bit crookedly. “And I do apologize if the lodgings seem poor. I also sleep in the back annex and there’s plenty of sheets for all, but if you want I can ask the guests if any would mind you kippin’ with them. Gotta keep the full rooms for paying customers but I’ll not turn a soul out in the cold if they have two hands.”

@SymphonianBookworm

Demaren Technotic stumped in, with a somewhat grumpy expression on his face. He had had trouble with some stairs on the walk over to the Boarding House. Leaning carefully on his cane and one foot, he opened the door and stopped just inside. There was a brighteyes lady dressed like she was from Roshar, and a tall blu-skinned fellow that seemed to be a true koloss. He had only heard of them, not actually seen any, so he couldn't be sure. Could be useful to hire him instead of those odd people who wanted pewter as payment when he needed some heavy lifting done. He would have to get the shop up and running first, though, before he could hire any permanent help. He noticed the worker by a door to what seemed to be a kitchen, he thought her name was Tashi. He stumped over to a chair and sat down carefully.

@ZincAboutIt, @HOID WANTS INSTANT NOODLES, @SymphonianBookworm

Sarian didn’t blush—she wouldn’t allow herself to stoop to that level of softness—and declined. “It’s fine. I can... roof re-tar.” She was still unused to be called ‘Brightness.’ Honestly, she still expected the disgusted stares from lighteyed and darkeyed alike. Well, being called Brightness was better than being called B***rd and Half-breed. 

Anyway, she had pride to uphold and she would not allow herself to be deemed a weak, pampered lighteyed tyrant. As they all were. Except for her mother, maybe. Either way, though she didn’t like manual labor (as the lady had said with her judgmental grin...) she wasn’t weak. She had done her fair share of dirty deeds and had gone places most wouldn’t go. 

Maybe this wasn’t the time for monologuing and time to make a better impression on these people. 

“I can kill people,” she said brightly. 

Then she realized this probably wasn’t the best way to prove to them what a great person she was. 

“I mean, I’m not a thug. I hate criminals. And I can sleep in the back annex.”

she turned to the new man who had entered. He put her on guard. There was a sort of wisdom to him; someone who had seen a lot and wasn’t swayed easily. 

Hmm... she thought. 

@ZincAboutIt @EmulatonStromenkiin @HOID WANTS INSTANT NOODLES

Roul enthusiastically walked out the door to get to the retaring, as he started on the first tiles he relaxed. It was nice to be doing physical work, putting his strength to work at creating and not destroying. Roul shuddered thinking of the lives he had ended, going on a rampage after he had first been turned, he didnt remember his life before his transformation but he remembered all of it afterwards, every bloody murder he had commited. Deeply absorbed in thought he didnt notice that his weight was causing the rafters to creak, Roul swiftly finished his part of the roof and looked over at the part that the lady downstairs had been supposed to tar. Spark seemed to like her. BEsides she looked like she needed a break. Nobody should have to share a room with a murderous brute like him Shudder. So many dead, so many. The roof creaked again

@SymphonianBookworm@ZincAboutIt@EmulatonStromenkiin

Roul seemed to be really finding himself in the work. Then he glanced at her and shuddered. 
Hopefully it wasn't because of her...
Either way, she supposed she should get to work. The koloss (Roul. She needed to get better at calling people by their names, and not their titles) was working diligently already, while she was... well, looking around and surveying people. I should be more like him. People must like him. I mean, not that I need or want people to like me or anything. Just... he seems nice. Not the judgmental type. "So, should I get to work?" Sarian asked Tashi. "Oh- by the way, how much does it cost for some paper and a writing utensil?"

@HOID WANTS INSTANT NOODLES @ZincAboutIt @EmulatonStromenkiin

Roul looked over at Sarian and tossed her two spheres " here, I got them from some of the latrines I cleared out for a toilet cleaner down the road. I dont have much use for them anyways but he insisted I take them. You should be able to afford your own room with those, a safe room" he said hanging his head. Dont get yourself dirty up here with a brute like me. Roul finished of his section of the roof and tried to move, he was a bit heavy for it and one of his large blue legs went through the rafters. The sound of splintering wood was heard as the Rouls blue face turned slightly white.

@SymphonianBookworm @ZincAboutIt @EmulatonStromenkiin

Sarian stood agape, clutching the spheres to her chest. "You know you just gave away free money, right?" It was more than money to her---it was also a source of energy and food, and would keep the illusion over her eyes going,  but she just couldn't. Somehow the bllue-skinned koloss named Roul before her was not subject to greed. No one she knew wasn't. Those thieves who had delivered her to the Lighteye those years ago, the Lighteye himself, all the horrible people who worked for him, ever person who had hired her and everyone she knew were greedy. All of them. But this person... would give away money to someone he had just met? She shook her head. "No. Take these. If you don't take them, I'm tossing them outside, where they will inevitably go to waste. Or i'll smash them. Bury them. Burn them. I don't know! Just take them." She thrust them out to him. "Also... I think you might need help getting out of there. You know. Seeing as your foot went through the roof. Literally." She held out a hand (which she concealed the spheres in, in hopes to get him to take them back.)
"Wait did you say latrines-"

@HOID WANTS INSTANT NOODLES @ZincAboutIt @EmulatonStromenkiin

Roul hauled himself up onto the roof, his scrape leg bleeding dark red. He shook his head at Sarian. Spark likes you. Spark is a good judge of character. Besidescant use money for much. Nobody wants to sell to a koloss, bad for buisness. Most of them try to scam me anyways, they think that just because I am a koloss I cant recognize a bad trade. I recognize . Anyways Spark's theory was right, he said pointing to the sphere in her hand. It was dun. It seems like you might be in need of some stormlight anyways he said with a wink. He pulled out three more spheres. not much money but all fully infused. I've never seen spark act like that around another spren, he stage whispered to sarian. " I think he might have a crush" roul winced as his skin was pinched by an angry dustspren

(69th post, nice)

@SymphonianBookworm

Sarian's Cryptic spren slowly climbed down from her forearm and onto her hand. "Hello," it muttered quietly to the dustspren. Sarian smiled. "Yeah. Intricate's been wanting to say hi. She's shy, though." She lowered her voice, "yes, I do need stormlight. I... have an illusion I need to keep up. It's nothing big, but... wellm you seem like a good person. I'm not actually a lighteyes. Or a darkeyes. I'm..." Here she paused, and shook her head. She let her illusion fall for a second. It showed her violet eye and brown eye. She quickly brought it up again, with a sad expression. "It costs a lot of stormlight to keep it going for a while, but... It's worth it. I got... mistreated because of my eyes. Well, anyway... thanks for the spheres." She smiled at him. Then grimaced when she saw his leg, and the pinch mark. "Maybe we should get that fixed up... I can do the rest of the roof."

(Wow.)

@HOID WANTS INSTANT NOODLES

" thank you" came back the rumble, eyes always seemed a stupid way of doing things he said gesturing towards his own red eyes. By their standards I am a noble he said with a throaghty chuckle. You are the only one to treat me like a person in a long time, he said with a sad smile. I am at your service, he said smiling.This is a thing that many rich men would pay much for. But I am not I weapon, his voice said growing more serious. I will not kill for you unless it is to defend you. Anyways I think the eyes are pretty. They remind me of somebody.... very long ago....

@SymphonianBookworm