117 Words

Liranaril

Hello and welcome to this new topic! The idea here is to write flash-fan-fiction that is exactly 117 words. Why that particular number? Because Brandon almost always uses 17 when he needs a number that has no bearing on the rest of the story (and let's face it, 17 words would be way too short). There are examples in the Stormlight Archive, the Wax and Wayne books, the Reckoners, and many others. Trust me on this if you don't know what I'm talking about.

The rules for this are simple: 1) The story must be 117 words exactly. 2) The title is not part of the word count, but it has to be just a title and not tell part of the story. 3) Have fun!

- Liranaril

One cannot run forever. 

She couldn't tell where one monster ended and another began. The claws, fur, tentacles and the shriek all melded onto one. Some of it reached out to cover the tunnel walls around her, overtaking her as she ran. Running wasn't working... wasn't working. Her breath was coming in gasped, her legs wouldn't hold up for much longer, she had run so far but they still followed! A low moan escaped her mouth between gasps for air, her hand reached out to wrap exhausted fingers around the hilt of her sword. She slowed, then stopped, they roared around her, alien limbs writhing in victory. She drew her sword and set her feet against the stone floor. 

"Fight me!" 

This is my story, it isn't fan fiction of anything, it's just where my imagination took me today, hope you guys like it! 

• 2 months later...

Growing up, his room was filled with books and posters of the planets and moons. He loved the conspiracy theories, UFO sightings, the little green men. He still found the news report about the flying saucer a little bit too hard to believe, however and so was taken completely aback when the light beam shone down on him as he just stood there and gaped at it.

He opened his eyes in a stark grey room with large steel panelled windows through which he could see Earth. From space. Slowly getting smaller. He screamed. Wait a minute, that’s not right, where’s the moon? Where were all the continents? Then he realized that wasn’t Earth, that was Neptune

Shards of ice blowing in the fierce winds stung Jars’ face as he was shoved out of the underground ice caverns and onto the surface of the ice planet. He continued out into the Endless Icestorm that was the surface, despite the pain. The swirling ice felt like knives, and he began to bleed from fresh cuts all over his body.

What happened? Jars thought. I went from favored of the High Majesty to sentenced to death by Endless Icestorm. What even happened?

Nobody ever went to the surface. Nobody had any reason to, and even if they did, they wouldn’t have gone. To step into the Endless Icestorm was practically suicide.

Unless, of course, you were Jars.