Oltux72

What happens between book III and book IV?

73 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

-They will have a Kholin-friendly Sadeas highprince established. 

Who?

-More Radiants will have arrived at Urithiru. I could see Stump arriving for example. Radiant training will be up and running. 

This still seems a lot like cheating from a narrative standpoint.  Radiant training might be working better but I find it difficult to believe we just get + Radiants.  What orders will they be from?  How many oaths will they have sworn.  Are we going to suddenly get entire groups of stonewards out of nowhere?

-Some logistical stuff, like military personell and camps will have been placed out over the map. I can see Aladar being off leading men for example.

Agreed.  However I see Aladar as a more behind the scenes type.  I think it will more likely be the Khals or perhaps Adolin leading.

-Some skirmishes will have happened. Leshwi might have died a couple more times. 

Agreed.

-Also, bold prediction, but I think Shallan and Adolin will have a kid. Brandon needed some time to have things progress in-world, and I think this might be it. 

Wow.  Very bold.  I don't see that happening but you do you:D.

-Less bold prediction: all characters will have aged about one year. 

Hmmm.  I don't realy see that happening. ;)

-May Aladar will still not be relevant.

:(

12 minutes ago, Karger said:

Who?

Dunno. Maybe May Aladar :lol:. Or it could be someone like a Davar brother, or maybe a Bridgeman. Just spitballing.

14 minutes ago, Karger said:

This still seems a lot like cheating from a narrative standpoint.  Radiant training might be working better but I find it difficult to believe we just get + Radiants.  What orders will they be from?  How many oaths will they have sworn.  Are we going to suddenly get entire groups of stonewards out of nowhere?

I disagree here. There will be a LOT of Radiants. We have seen a lot of them already. That more didnt start bonding spren and go to Urithiru feels wierd, especially not the ones in Azir or other coalition countries. Like, no one i Azier started a spren-bond in one year? Feels like a stretch. So we will probably have a couple more Windrunners, Truthwatchers, Edgedancers, etc. Most of these will probably be redshirts, existing to show that the KR were many, and that they can be killed. 

18 minutes ago, Karger said:

Agreed.  However I see Aladar as a more behind the scenes type.  I think it will more likely be the Khals or perhaps Adolin leading.

Fair enough. 

18 minutes ago, Karger said:

Wow.  Very bold.  I don't see that happening but you do you:D.

Yeah, I know a lot of people dont find this likely. But it makes perfect sense to me. 

19 minutes ago, Karger said:

Hmmm.  I don't realy see that happening. ;)

Yeah, that might have been too bold...

10 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Dunno. Maybe May Aladar :lol:. Or it could be someone like a Davar brother, or maybe a Bridgeman. Just spitballing.

The Davar brothers are not Alethi, May Aladar is an Aladar, and the bridgemen have no experience in government(most of them lack any formal education).

11 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I disagree here. There will be a LOT of Radiants. We have seen a lot of them already. That more didnt start bonding spren and go to Urithiru feels wierd, especially not the ones in Azir or other coalition countries. Like, no one i Azier started a spren-bond in one year? Feels like a stretch. So we will probably have a couple more Windrunners, Truthwatchers, Edgedancers, etc. Most of these will probably be redshirts, existing to show that the KR were many, and that they can be killed. 

I do think we will get a few more Windrunners.  However the ring only sent Wyndle so Edgedancers seem like a no.  Also if we get too many high level Truthwatchers then we will start having illumination working and that could lead to TMI too soon.

13 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Yeah, that might have been too bold...

Practically impossible.

Edited by Karger

Less bold prediction: all characters will have aged about one year. 

Lift would disagree.

18 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

He could, but where is the point? You have a whole order of Knights Radiant against you and you jail the first of their members on your side?

These are Skybreakers we're talking about. In terms of commitment to absolute justice, it might be a selling point.

Dalinar finishes the first draft of Oathbringer. He only started writing it at the end of the last book right? Or Dalinar went to multiple book signings. 

4 minutes ago, Vindo said:

Dalinar finishes the first draft of Oathbringer. He only started writing it at the end of the last book right? Or Dalinar went to multiple book signings. 

He started writing part two but stopped because Navani left him unsupervised and he wanted to get a few novellas out of his system.

Plot twist: Roshone is the new Sadeas highprince. :mellow:

2 minutes ago, Solant said:

Plot twist: Roshone is the new Sadeas highprince. :mellow:

Swallows bleach.

11 hours ago, Solant said:

Plot twist: Roshone is the new Sadeas highprince.

I mean, he is a Brightlord from the Sadeas dominance and we have heard of him. But it could be Laral instead, based on how their area in Hearthstone is run. Additionally, Roshone has been proven to be a schemer in a bad way, so I'm not really on board with his promotion.

Speculation based on future readings:

Spoiler

Question is if he's even still alive. We have seen that Hearthstone has been occupied. Do the Fused take out the existing Birghtlords, or do they try to subjugate as much as possible?

47 minutes ago, Govir said:

Do the Fused take out the existing Birghtlords, or do they try to subjugate as much as possible?

Hopefully they murder him.

I agree there's no way they've just sent someone to bond the Nightwatcher.  For one, I don't think they necessarily know that the Nightwatcher is a spren and/or one of the Bondsmith spren.  For another (more important, imo) it's not like you can just send someone to walk up to the Nightwatcher and say "Hey pal, please let me bond you!"  This has to be a huge and significant event, similar to Dalinar bonding the Stormfather.  This would be the same with the "Sibling."  

The only chance I see of the Nightwatcher or Sibling being bonded off screen is if a complete outsider who is unknown to our main heroes is to show up as sort of a rival to Dalinar who has been living somewhere far away (maybe one of the Shin?) who has totally different ideas as to how the Knights Radiant should operate.  Then, it would make sense and that person would have been sort of a parallel Dalinar who was rising up in another part of the world.

I also think it is likely there will be a lot more Radiants in Urithiru by the time Book 4 rolls around.  We are going to have to get to the point where we don't learn about every single Radiant individually and it seems like that point makes sense to be now.  There are something like 5-10 radiants in Urithiru now, I expect by the time of Book 4 there will be 50-100.  I would guess that most of the orders will have at least a few members showing up similar to how Malata showed up with only a little introduction introducing the Dustbringer order.  There may be a few orders where the Spren are intentionally holding back and not allowing themselves to bond.  I think one possible plot of Book 4 could be an investigation into why some orders of Radiants are starting to populate while others aren't.

On 9/15/2019 at 9:28 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

-They will have a Kholin-friendly Sadeas highprince established. 

Why?

Seriously, no one likes House Sadeas, and after Amaram's public betrayal and Ialai leaving Urithiru, I can't imagine anyone actually replacing whatever dregs are left. More likely, whatever materials they have remaining will be divvied up (some going to Thaylen City, they need it and it would ease tensions a fair bit). 

Edited by Mage of Lirigon

1 hour ago, agrabes said:

I agree there's no way they've just sent someone to bond the Nightwatcher.  For one, I don't think they necessarily know that the Nightwatcher is a spren and/or one of the Bondsmith spren

Dalinar knows.

For another (more important, imo) it's not like you can just send someone to walk up to the Nightwatcher and say "Hey pal, please let me bond you!"

Well you can actually.  No guarantee it will work.

This has to be a huge and significant event, similar to Dalinar bonding the Stormfather.  This would be the same with the "Sibling."  

Actually the Stormfather is the most important of the three.

I would guess that most of the orders will have at least a few members showing up similar to how Malata showed up with only a little introduction introducing the Dustbringer order.  There may be a few orders where the Spren are intentionally holding back and not allowing themselves to bond.  I think one possible plot of Book 4 could be an investigation into why some orders of Radiants are starting to populate while others aren't.

This seems to me like a bad way to introduce new Radiants.  Still your approach does have a few good points.  The stark lack of any Stonewards could be very interesting as a plot point.

9 minutes ago, Mage of Lirigon said:

Seriously, no one likes House Sadeas, and after Amaram's public betrayal and Ialai leaving Urithiru, I can't imagine anyone actually replacing whatever dregs are left. More likely, whatever materials they have remaining will be divvied up (some going to Thaylen City, they need it and it would ease tensions a fair bit). 

Agreed.  Ialai will probably try to keep as many of her people intact as possible(or possibly defect yikes) but I don't think Sadeas will have much in the way of supporters among the humans and will probably be dissolved.

20 hours ago, Karger said:

Well you can actually.  No guarantee it will work.

Exactly. It may have failed. But why did they not try? These people forged a coalition in a few months, figured out the gem archive, found mythical figures and drove off an Unmade. And then, a year of just routine activity

Actually the Stormfather is the most important of the three.

Why? Theologically you may see it that way. And the map is cool. But compare that to the ability to switch Urithiru back on. The Sibling is quite important.

This seems to me like a bad way to introduce new Radiants.  Still your approach does have a few good points.  The stark lack of any Stonewards could be very interesting as a plot point.

They woud have to trickle in. Or can you give a reason they would all arrive only after a year has elapsed? And now thw cat is out of the bag. Governments will actively search for them. And so will the Fused with even less benign intentions. They must flee.

And a few things more:

• Kaladin has reported that aluminium has magic properties. Has someone tried to hit it with a Shard Blade?
  • They know that Odium's forces corrupt spren. Have they caught any?
  • Odium's forces have an edge in investiture detection. Any counter research? Or at least an attempt to level the field? Aluminium suits and helmets for Radiants?
  • How far have they debriefed/interrogated the Heralds?
  • Has there been a mission to contact the Skybreakers?

Now I could accept that the military situation has made many of this options infeasible. But then something dire must have happened on the battle field. I just cannot see so little happening in a year during a Desolation.

21 hours ago, Karger said:

Agreed.  Ialai will probably try to keep as many of her people intact as possible(or possibly defect yikes) but I don't think Sadeas will have much in the way of supporters among the humans and will probably be dissolved.

Assuming anyone will want to stay with her :)  Again, House Sadeas is not one that inspires great loyalty in people, iespecially when they're in this bad a position. The most she could keep would probably be a honour guard.

Considering Mraize hanging around her, she might go over to the Ghostbloods if they make a deal. Even diminished, Ialai would have good info they might be able to use. Same for Odium, though I find that less likely since he already went for Amaram. Maybe the Sons of Honour could want her inside perspective on Urithiru.

55 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Kaladin has reported that aluminium has magic properties. Has someone tried to hit it with a Shard Blade?

Do they even aluminum in quantities that would make it militarily useful, or even enough to test with?

They know that Odium's forces corrupt spren. Have they caught any?

Odium is no dummy, he's probably keeping them close to hand to avoid such a situation.

How far have they debriefed/interrogated the Heralds?

Taln is likely not going to be that useful, Ash might be, depending on how noble she's feeling (or if they're holding her captive, how she feels about that) or what she is offered.

Has there been a mission to contact the Skybreakers?

This is something I'm interested to see. Even the Skybreakers can't be totally monolithic on this issue, even if they swore to follow Nale. I hope we can see some more of them. and how they're dealing with the Desolation.

Edited by Mage of Lirigon

1 hour ago, Oltux72 said:

Exactly. It may have failed. But why did they not try

Um because if they fail there is no telling the consequences.  Remember in Vorin mythologies The Nightwatcher is associated with death and the things she has done to people are basically their own genre.

Why? Theologically you may see it that way. And the map is cool. But compare that to the ability to switch Urithiru back on. The Sibling is quite important.

Because he is a the successor to Honor and as such can release Odium open the Oathgates to CR travel and maybe undo the Oathpact.

They woud have to trickle in. Or can you give a reason they would all arrive only after a year has elapsed? And now thw cat is out of the bag. Governments will actively search for them. And so will the Fused with even less benign intentions. They must flee.

This is of course assuming that they understand what is happening to them and that the governments can get through the massive amounts of false positives to find them.

Kaladin has reported that aluminium has magic properties. Has someone tried to hit it with a Shard Blade?

Can Kaladin correctly ID a metal he may never have seen back home and has no idea how to get from the natural environment?

They know that Odium's forces corrupt spren. Have they caught any?

cough cough Glys.

Odium's forces have an edge in investiture detection. Any counter research? Or at least an attempt to level the field? Aluminium suits and helmets for Radiants?

This could work if they figure out that the metal is in fact aluminum. 

How far have they debriefed/interrogated the Heralds?

I am guessing that Taln and Ash will remain unconscious for most of the novel.

Has there been a mission to contact the Skybreakers?

How exactly are you planing on finding them?  They live in enemy lands an can fly.

25 minutes ago, Mage of Lirigon said:

Assuming anyone will want to stay with her :)  Again, House Sadeas is not one that inspires great loyalty in people, iespecially when they're in this bad a position. The most she could keep would probably be a honour guard.

Along with some disgruntled malcontents.  Almost every group of people produces quite a few.

26 minutes ago, Mage of Lirigon said:

Considering Mraize hanging around her, she might go over to the Ghostbloods if they make a deal. Even diminished, Ialai would have good info they might be able to use. Same for Odium, though I find that less likely since he already went for Amaram. Maybe the Sons of Honour could want her inside perspective on Urithiru.

Mraize claims not to like her for some pretty good reasons.  She is unpredictable, hateful, and a bit to clever for them(in my opinion).  Why would Odium not tempt both Amaram and Ialia?  The Sons of Honor would likely hate her.  She is not religious (even her name is heretical) she is a women (I definitely am picking up some misogyny from them) and her perspective on Urithiru is likely to be limited.

2 minutes ago, Karger said:

Taln maybe, I can't believe we'd get no Ash at all.

Along with some disgruntled malcontents.  Almost every group of people produces quite a few.

I doubt even miscontents would want to hang around Ialai, unless she's paying a lot, and something tells me she's not exactly flush at the moment.

Mraize claims not to like her for some pretty good reasons.  She is unpredictable, hateful, and a bit to clever for them(in my opinion).

True enough, but Ialai is desperate now, and desperate people are easier to control. If ever Mraize was to make use of her, now would be the time.

Why would Odium not tempt both Amaram and Ialia? 

He seems to be avoiding being repetitive this iteration. Plus, I don't think there's much she can offer him.

The Sons of Honor would likely hate her.  She is not religious (even her name is heretical) she is a women (I definitely am picking up some misogyny from them) and her perspective on Urithiru is likely to be limited.

Again, all true, but the Sons of Honour are probably starving for intel on Urithiru right now, and it's debatable how much Amaram could have given them. They probably have some other spies, but how many could be as well connected as Ialai? They may just hold their noses and go ahead despite disliking her.

1 hour ago, Mage of Lirigon said:

Do they even aluminum in quantities that would make it militarily useful, or even enough to test with?

They have soulcasters. Enough of them to dispose of feces. And Kaladin noticed that the metal is not steel. And Shallan's jewelery shows that they can make alumium.

1 hour ago, Karger said:

Um because if they fail there is no telling the consequences.  Remember in Vorin mythologies The Nightwatcher is associated with death and the things she has done to people are basically their own genre.

They are led by a man who faced an Unmade with just a gem stone and a book.

1 hour ago, Karger said:

This is of course assuming that they understand what is happening to them and that the governments can get through the massive amounts of false positives to find them.

All of them, no way. Some of them, most likely. Some Radiants will be ignorant or want to hide, but not all of them, especially the Azish. Seeing no new Radiants would mean that nobody makes it to Urithiru.

1 hour ago, Karger said:

Can Kaladin correctly ID a metal he may never have seen back home and has no idea how to get from the natural environment?

There are not that many silvery metals that are not steel and are known to Rosharan science. They can test with a spanreed. The tests can even be done by ardents and scholars. No Radiant needed.

1 hour ago, Karger said:

cough cough Glys.

Not really available for capture

1 hour ago, Karger said:

A whole year? And not die? In a preindustrial civilization?

1 hour ago, Karger said:

How exactly are you planing on finding them?  They live in enemy lands an can fly.

Post signs in the major cities. Some Skybreakers will want to talk to Dalinar. They are Knights Radiant. There must be a faction that wants to stand with the other knights. Some must be sworn to the law codes of nations in the coalition and want to defend Roshar's human population while considering themselves bound by human law.

3 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

They are led by a man who faced an Unmade with just a gem stone and a book.

Bonding is not something that you can force.  Most of the follows of said gemstone and book man are already bonded anyway.  A few other people could try but I would not put it past the Nightwatcher to send them all back with varied curses(or just ignore them).  Also she is located in a remote location and there are enemy forces not too far away.  It would be interesting if they attempted training individuals based on their best guesses as to what she would like best.

6 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

All of them, no way. Some of them, most likely. Some Radiants will be ignorant or want to hide, but not all of them, especially the Azish. Seeing no new Radiants would mean that nobody makes it to Urithiru.

If the general sentiment is want to hide then you are not realy going to find that many.  If it is want to be found then you are going to have problems with false positives.  Also I think Odium will be trying to limit the emergence of new Radiance somehow.

9 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

There are not that many silvery metals that are not steel and are known to Rosharan science. They can test with a spanreed. The tests can even be done by ardents and scholars. No Radiant needed.

The metal came from Hoid.  How is Kaladin supposed to know that said metal is available generally on Roshar via soulcasting.

10 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Not really available for capture

Ohhh you mean fabrail capture.  This could be interesting.

11 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Post signs in the major cities. Some Skybreakers will want to talk to Dalinar. They are Knights Radiant. There must be a faction that wants to stand with the other knights. Some must be sworn to the law codes of nations in the coalition and want to defend Roshar's human population while considering themselves bound by human law.

Too many musts in the sentence.  While I agree that many of them show suppositions that are reasonable we realy don't know much about the Skybreaker general population.  According to Nale most(=>50%) of these guys swore to follow the laws of whatever land they are in.

13 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

A whole year? And not die? In a preindustrial civilization?

They don't seem to need to eat(I kind of doubt they do actually).

Taln maybe, I can't believe we'd get no Ash at all.

Perhaps.  I find myself doubting that any Herald will be of any use.

I doubt even miscontents would want to hang around Ialai, unless she's paying a lot, and something tells me she's not exactly flush at the moment.

Her husband was the most successful at gemhunting and it is not like Dalinar could just take those away from her.  She also has whatever portion of her army who were not at Theylen field, her title, her political skill, a grievance against the Kholins, a relationship with the Ruthars...

True enough, but Ialai is desperate now, and desperate people are easier to control. If ever Mraize was to make use of her, now would be the time.

Mraize has Shallan(or seems to think he does) what use can he make of Ialia?

He seems to be avoiding being repetitive this iteration. Plus, I don't think there's much she can offer him.

Considering that he is a god I don't think that it takes him much time to tempt stupid people to the dark side.

Again, all true, but the Sons of Honour are probably starving for intel on Urithiru right now, and it's debatable how much Amaram could have given them. They probably have some other spies, but how many could be as well connected as Ialai? They may just hold their noses and go ahead despite disliking her.

I am guessing they have spies in the Ardentia, with the stormwardens, and with various nobles.  They can probably get whatever Urithiru intelligence that they absolutely need.

3 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Exactly. It may have failed. But why did they not try? These people forged a coalition in a few months, figured out the gem archive, found mythical figures and drove off an Unmade. And then, a year of just routine activity

And a few things more:

• Kaladin has reported that aluminium has magic properties. Has someone tried to hit it with a Shard Blade?
  • They know that Odium's forces corrupt spren. Have they caught any?
  • Odium's forces have an edge in investiture detection. Any counter research? Or at least an attempt to level the field? Aluminium suits and helmets for Radiants?
  • How far have they debriefed/interrogated the Heralds?
  • Has there been a mission to contact the Skybreakers?

Now I could accept that the military situation has made many of this options infeasible. But then something dire must have happened on the battle field. I just cannot see so little happening in a year during a Desolation.

Most likely because that just isn't how it seems to work. Is there any case where any hopeful Radiant has just gone out to find a spren, asked them for a bond, and then shook hands and gotten together?  Every bond we have seen (other than possibly the Skywatchers) has been formed by a person acting in a certain way and with certain qualities that attracts a spren.  The spren is always the initiator.  I would argue even with the Skywatchers, their actions attract the spren but the other human Skywatchers forbid them from forming the bond until they've reached a certain amount of progress.  

I'm with you in the sense that there should and probably will be progress between OB and Book 4.  I think a lot of Radiants will show up and they will actively be trying to make progress in other areas.  I just don't think we're going to come back and find that they've developed a super weapon, or solved one of the huge fundamental mysteries that was left unsolved at the end of OB.  That would suck as a reader, missing out on a fundamental change in the world.  

For example, let's say they discover (if this is true/accurate) that aluminum could stop a shard blade or maybe they invent a shard blade fabrial.  If that just appears on the scene when we come in during Book 4 then we don't get to consider the strategic implications with Dalinar, the logistics of getting enough of it to make a difference in the war with Navani and Jasnah, etc.  You lose those discoveries as plot points and just get them as power ups.  To me, that's much less interesting. I'd rather them fight with the powers they have than introduce something radical and new off screen. I would much rather we see something like an early scene where they talk about testing the powers of aluminum that then develops into them figuring out how to actually use it effectively over the course of the book as sort of a C or D plot that's going on in the background.

As far as the in world reason for why they wouldn't have made huge discoveries, I think they have a lot of other things to be doing.  They have made a loose coalition in a few months, but they need to hammer out more formal alliances, assign duties and expectations for the various nations and other people in the coalition.  They need to figure out how to get everyone organized and fighting as a unified front against the Fused.  They also need to determine their grand strategy for how to defeat Odium.  My guess is that in this year we will find that they've been out looking for things, working on research, etc, but they will not be done with it when we see them again.  They might be at a stage where they are testing some things and trying to work out the final bugs, we may learn about a few failed expeditions or things they've done with limited success.

Anyway, just my two cents and what I would like to see.

4 hours ago, Karger said:

The metal came from Hoid.  How is Kaladin supposed to know that said metal is available generally on Roshar via soulcasting.

There is no need for that. The people reading his report will try to find it out. Kaladin did notice the military significance. Now of course the metal could come from an unknown source for all the Rosharans know. But then it might not. Finding out is easy and they have research teams.

6 hours ago, Mage of Lirigon said:

4 hours ago, Karger said:

They don't seem to need to eat(I kind of doubt they do actually).

Taln was in custody for many days. How could the wardens fail to notice that?

3 hours ago, agrabes said:

Most likely because that just isn't how it seems to work. Is there any case where any hopeful Radiant has just gone out to find a spren, asked them for a bond, and then shook hands and gotten together?

Hoid technically. The Nightwatcher, in contrast to most spren, already is sentient in the Physical Realm.

I just don't think we're going to come back and find that they've developed a super weapon, or solved one of the huge fundamental mysteries that was left unsolved at the end of OB.  That would suck as a reader, missing out on a fundamental change in the world.  

While that is true, there is also a need for logical consistency in the plot. Hence I see no way they haven't discovered aluminium. Though the idea of cutting it with a Shard Blade may or may not have occured. The same is true about perfect gems. If this is truly a matter of geometry only, they should have done it by now. They have a large team of dedicated scholars.

As far as the in world reason for why they wouldn't have made huge discoveries, I think they have a lot of other things to be doing.  They have made a loose coalition in a few months, but they need to hammer out more formal alliances, assign duties and expectations for the various nations and other people in the coalition.

That is plausible looking at the Knights Radiant themselves. It is not plausible for the supporting forces. If you have a team of researchers they won't sit on their hands for a year. If they have been disbanded, you need to find a reason for that. Dalinar saw the need for research in Oathbringer. He more or less ordered it to be done. He won't change his mind without a good reason.

6 hours ago, Mage of Lirigon said:

That raises another point. Even if Shallan hasn't talked, Amaram's connections to shady organizations will be investigated. Are the Sons of Honor on the run?

On 9/13/2019 at 2:32 PM, Oltux72 said:

Has Shallan come clear about the Ghostbloods?

There is a 0% chance this happens off-screen, and a 100% chance that she's still lying to herself and to everyone else. Pattern knows he's going to die, because Shallan is going to kill him, and we're not close enough to that yet.

56 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

There is no need for that. The people reading his report will try to find it out. Kaladin did notice the military significance. Now of course the metal could come from an unknown source for all the Rosharans know. But then it might not. Finding out is easy and they have research teams.

IDing an unknown silvery metal sounds difficult if you are not sure that it is not for example a specific steel alloy.

57 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Taln was in custody for many days. How could the wardens fail to notice that?

Who says that they did not?  But if Heralds need to eat then why is Taln in such good shape?  He has been enduring torture at the hands of people who probably don't feed him.

What, you mean the torture on Braize? 'Cause I had been assuming that they're Shadows when on Braize, and only gain physical bodies when they go Roshar, just like the Fused. Though hopefully they have a different source of bodies.