What happens between book III and book IV?

Oltux72

• the gem archive has been transcribed and catalogued
  • there has been a full debrief of everybody and full sharing of information at least among the leadership
  • Navani has figured out how to make perfect spheres
  • They have new storm tables
  • the number of Radiants has risen

But some things are less clear

1. Has Shallan come clear about the Ghostbloods?
  2. What has Navani done with Nergaoul?

9 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Navani has figured out how to make perfect spheres

I kind of doubt this one.

9 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

the number of Radiants has risen

Squire promotion I can see.  New Radiants just showing up at Urithiru might be stretching things a bit. 

10 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Has Shallan come clear about the Ghostbloods?

I doubt it.  Maybe to Adolin under promises of secrecy.

10 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

What has Navani done with Nergaoul?

Put it under a microscope(metaphorically).  Other then that nothing. 

My thoughts on what has happened

• Rock's novella(horneater king FTW).
  • Szeth will have been jailed.
  • Venli will have some singers she can rely on(to some degree).
  • The bridge crews will have more training.
  • Some rebuilding will have happened in Theylen city and the Alethi war camps. 
  • Potentially we will have a partial relocation there.
  • Jasnah will have settled in as queen.
  • More people will have arrived at Urithiru.
  • Urithiru should at this point have group of laws describing governance, and succession.
  • The Oathgates will now be largely a mundane convenience.
  • Adolin will be able to do something extra with Maya(just a theory).

4 hours ago, Kalaksbreath said:

I think that Dalinar will be able to infuse it by opening honors perpendicularity and that will start to heel Urithiru in a sense.

Do we know if Dalinar can open the perpendicularity at will? Like if he can repeat it? My impression was that he did it in the moment, without REAL knowledge of what he was doing (it seemed mostly instinctive).

6 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

What has Navani done with Nergaoul?

I, for one, am certainly wondering if building a fabrinal that uses Nergaoul as a power source would be a great idea or a terrible one. I'm currently leaning towards 'experimenting isn't worth the risk', but I'm still curious.

1 hour ago, TheBeast22846 said:

Do we know if Dalinar can open the perpendicularity at will? Like if he can repeat it? My impression was that he did it in the moment, without REAL knowledge of what he was doing (it seemed mostly instinctive).

In Oathbringer at the end, it says that Dalinar over charges Kaladin with stormlight so he could fly to pick up skar and drehy in alethkar I can only assume that he did something along the lines of opening a perpendicularity though I am not sure if it is the same thing.

13 hours ago, Karger said:

I kind of doubt this one.

Why not? Is a perfect gem something else but a set of proportions? If so, what?

Squire promotion I can see.  New Radiants just showing up at Urithiru might be stretching things a bit.

That raises three points.

1. Aren't they actively searching for Radiats and taking them to Urithiru? Won't they flee from occupied territories?
  2. A whole year and nobody has sent an expedition to bond the Nightwatcher?
  3. They still haven't found the Sibling?

I doubt it.  Maybe to Adolin under promises of secrecy.

If she does not come clear ,we will see Jasnah and Navani probe into how come her whole family showed up exactly on her wedding day.

Put it under a microscope(metaphorically).  Other then that nothing.

If you have a whole team of artefabrians?

My thoughts on what has happened

• Rock's novella(horneater king FTW).
  • Szeth will have been jailed.

How? I can sort of see that one might not want to have the Assassin in White running around. But how do you jail a man who can summon a Shard Blade? Why do you even try?

• Venli will have some singers she can rely on(to some degree).
  • The bridge crews will have more training.
  • Some rebuilding will have happened in Theylen city and the Alethi war camps. 
  • Potentially we will have a partial relocation there.
  • Jasnah will have settled in as queen.

What has happened to Vorinism theologically?

8 hours ago, Kalaksbreath said:

In Oathbringer at the end, it says that Dalinar over charges Kaladin with stormlight so he could fly to pick up skar and drehy in alethkar I can only assume that he did something along the lines of opening a perpendicularity though I am not sure if it is the same thing.

I just assumed that it meant that he gave him lots of stormlight to use, to lash himself many times toward skar and drehy, but I have to reread it again soon.

8 hours ago, Kalaksbreath said:

I am hoping that some of the characters will be able to find the lost islands of Aimia start making soulcasters and distributing them throughout Roshar to help compensate for lost crops as a result of the everstorm.

I think Brandon is likely to save Aimia for an actual book-there's so much foreshadowing, and so little that we know. Aimia is super cool, I'd be kind of disappointed if they figured it all out off-screen. 

14 hours ago, Karger said:

Szeth will have been jailed.

I agree with Oltux on this one, in WoR they talked about jailing Amaram, but ended up not because it would be pointless as he's a shardbearer. I picture something similar happening here with Szeth.

Also since Szeth is a squire and fought on the humans side, so they're even less likely to jail him.

1 hour ago, Oltux72 said:

This is what I'm wondering. I think that as this point Dalinar's claims have been effectively proven. The devotaries will have to accept that the Desolation has returned, and that Dalinar's visions were real. This undermines a lot of what they've been claiming over the past few centuries. Combine this with Dalinar's perpendicularity, and we might be looking at devotaries that abruptly change positions and begin revering Dalinar as some sort of a holy figure. Perhaps the devotaries will split over this issue, with some claiming that Dalinar is chosen by the Almighty or something, and others saying that he's still a heretic, and perhaps even in league with the Voidbringers. Doubtless this whole situation would make him very uncomfortable. Of course, it's just a theory.

12 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Perhaps the devotaries will split over this issue, with some claiming that Dalinar is chosen by the Almighty or something, and others saying that he's still a heretic, and perhaps even in league with the Voidbringers. Doubtless this whole situation would make him very uncomfortable. Of course, it's just a theory.

I don't see how the heretic middle position is tenable. Nevertheless the human tendency to shoot the messenger is strong. Many will blame him. And many will blame him for giving up on the vengeance pact.

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

How? I can sort of see that one might not want to have the Assassin in White running around. But how do you jail a man who can summon a Shard Blade? Why do you even try?

I agree with Oltux on this one, in WoR they talked about jailing Amaram, but ended up not because it would be pointless as he's a shardbearer. I picture something similar happening here with Szeth.

Also since Szeth is a squire and fought on the humans side, so they're even less likely to jail him.

jmcgit

Compared to Oathbringer, how much Szeth are we going to see in the book?

Brandon Sanderson

This one, probably less Szeth than Oathbringer. Mostly, because we're going to get his big plot in the next book. There's some cool Szeth stuff in this still, but we're looking more like first book Szeth rather than third book Szeth, where I give him his own micro plot in book 3.

jmcgit

I was kind of imagining, he's like the first character expected to die in the first five books.

Brandon Sanderson

He starts in jail, in book four. Because Dalinar told him to go there.

DragonCon 2019 (Aug. 31, 2019)

16 minutes ago, ChickenLiberty said:

Brandon Sanderson

How sly is Brandon? Is he an inmate or a jailer? Did they pick Szeth to run a PoW camp? Or is he an infiltrator because he looks alien and harmless and has a Spren for spying?

7 hours ago, ChickenLiberty said:

Brandon Sanderson

7 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

How sly is Brandon? Is he an inmate or a jailer? Did they pick Szeth to run a PoW camp? Or is he an infiltrator because he looks alien and harmless and has a Spren for spying?

Yeah, this is kind of weird, I don't know how this works. It doesn't seem to make sense for him to be jailed, but I can't think of any good reason for him to be at a jail unless something happens in the next book. 

I'm wondering if this is like the chapter in WoR where they jail Kaladin, just to put up a show. Maybe Dalinar has to keep his people happy, so he puts him there with the promise that he will release him, and that this is the only way for him to help.

Anybody have any other ideas? Or reasons as to why they would keep him there without his permission?

Anybody have any other ideas? Or reasons as to why they would keep him there without his permission?

He swore an oath to obey Dalinar. If Dalinar tells him to go to jail, he has no choice. If he doesn't obey his spren will die. 

I'm kinda curious what they're going to do about Nightblood... 

2 hours ago, TheBeast22846 said:

I'm wondering if this is like the chapter in WoR where they jail Kaladin, just to put up a show.

That would make sense. A lot of people would be angry about letting the Assassin in White run about, so Szeth might be in jail to appease them:

11 minutes ago, Jaywalk said:

That would make sense. A lot of people would be angry about letting the Assassin in White run about, so Szeth might be in jail to appease them:

That or a test of loyalty of some sort, probably. Or potentially Dalinar just couldn't think of something to do with him in the meantime.

14 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Why not? Is a perfect gem something else but a set of proportions? If so, what?

Seems too significant to happen off screen.

Aren't they actively searching for Radiats and taking them to Urithiru? Won't they flee from occupied territories?

Sure but simply adding new radiants seems like cheating.

A whole year and nobody has sent an expedition to bond the Nightwatcher?

Also should happen on screen.

They still haven't found the Sibling?

Same as above.

If she does not come clear ,we will see Jasnah and Navani probe into how come her whole family showed up exactly on her wedding day.

Happy coincidence?  Also same as above.

If you have a whole team of artefabrians?

They can't break it.

Dalinar could just order him to go to jail.

It is still in either crisis or denial mode.

12 hours ago, TheBeast22846 said:

I just assumed that it meant that he gave him lots of stormlight to use, to lash himself many times toward skar and drehy, but I have to reread it again soon.

It is not the same power.

Edited by Karger

4 hours ago, Karger said:

Seems too significant to happen off screen.

Well, while this is true, it is turning into a rote answer. A whole group of highly competent and active people have been sitting on their thumbs for a whole year. Why?

Sure but simply adding new radiants seems like cheating.

So leaving the Stump just out there?

Dalinar could just order him to go to jail.

He could, but where is the point? You have a whole order of Knights Radiant against you and you jail the first of their members on your side?

Moreover, Szeth wields the only weapon they know to permanently kill Fused yet Dalinar puts him into jail? Where is Nightblood?

I don't think they know that Nightblood can permanently kill the Fused- indeed, I'm not certain that we know that's what would happen, as we've never seen used against a Fused, although it's a reasonable supposition. I do think, however, that Lift would strongly argue against using Nightblood, and that they're more likely to listen to her opinion than Szeth's.

I also don't think they really have a good reason to trust Szeth very far- he just kind of showed up out of the blue and claimed to be on their side now. And even if they did, can they really justify just ignoring all the very public muders he's committed? I somehow doubt that 'nah, it's cool, the Skybreakers said I was pardoned for all crimes I committed before joining them' is gonna carry a huge amount of water. Certainly not enough to make Jasnah and Dalinar comfortable with the presence of the man who killed Gavilar. 

38 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

that Lift would strongly argue against using Nightblood, and that they're more likely to listen to her opinion than Szeth's.

They would most likely try to study it. If they found a way to mass produce Shard Weapons, that could be victory.

I also don't think they really have a good reason to trust Szeth very far- he just kind of showed up out of the blue and claimed to be on their side now.

• He can summon a living Shard Blade. He is a Knight Radiant.
  • They know about the oath stone from Taravangian
  • If he hadn't shown up, Odium would have won

And even if they did, can they really justify just ignoring all the very public muders he's committed? I somehow doubt that 'nah, it's cool, the Skybreakers said I was pardoned for all crimes I committed before joining them' is gonna carry a huge amount of water. Certainly not enough to make Jasnah and Dalinar comfortable with the presence of the man who killed Gavilar. 

Then they could send him on a dangerous mission to a remote place. But putting a Radiant into jail is a gigantic waste. Even sending him to a lab for scholars to study Division would make more sense.

8 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Well, while this is true, it is turning into a rote answer. A whole group of highly competent and active people have been sitting on their thumbs for a whole year. Why?

They have not.  They have discovered the pieces of the puzzle and we will put them together during book 4.\

So leaving the Stump just out there?

The Stump may come(we already know about her).  I don't think any others will.

He could, but where is the point? You have a whole order of Knights Radiant against you and you jail the first of their members on your side?

Moreover, Szeth wields the only weapon they know to permanently kill Fused yet Dalinar puts him into jail? Where is Nightblood?

It may be a political necessity to order Szeth to go to jail while the monarchs figure out what to do with him.

7 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Then they could send him on a dangerous mission to a remote place. But putting a Radiant into jail is a gigantic waste. Even sending him to a lab for scholars to study Division would make more sense.

And politicians never waste useful resources or make bad decisions based on fear...

I imagine Szeth is quite happy in jail. He seems to be in peace as long as he trusts the people he follows. I can see him just wandering in there and locking himself up, while being rather pleased with himself. I just love Szeth. Would be fun if Nale just went in there to free him.

Anyway, my predictions:

-Some logistical stuff, like military personell and camps will have been placed out over the map. I can see Aladar being off leading men for example.

-More Radiants will have arrived at Urithiru. I could see Stump arriving for example. Radiant training will be up and running. 

-They will have a Kholin-friendly Sadeas highprince established. 

-Some skirmishes will have happened. Leshwi might have died a couple more times. 

-Also, bold prediction, but I think Shallan and Adolin will have a kid. Brandon needed some time to have things progress in-world, and I think this might be it. 

-Less bold prediction: all characters will have aged about one year. 

-May Aladar will still not be relevant.

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

-Some skirmishes will have happened. Leshwi might have died a couple more times. 

-Also, bold prediction, but I think Shallan and Adolin will have a kid. Brandon needed some time to have things progress in-world, and I think this might be it. 

-Less bold prediction: all characters will have aged about one year. 

-May Aladar will still not be relevant.

My favorite predictions so far! May Aladar will only become relevant in book 10 when it is discovered that she is a KANDRA! :lol: