13 posts in this topic

Tom was glad that he had a duty now, at least. Because otherwise, he would have spent the day brooding about his old job, and about how the world was sort of like, oh I don't know, ending?

But then, he had discovered that he could burn atium. That instantly put him in the position of the village's bodyguard. That was pretty cool. Tom felt a small sense of accomplishment when he fought off the Inquisitor again, and again, and got closer each time to winning. This battle, though... something was wrong. Tom realized that his supply of atium was running out, and that there was no way he could kill the Inquisitor before that happened.

And then.
He sucked in the mists. Somehow, the mists gave Tom the power to continue and keep on fighting and... more atium? The more he would burn, the more it seemed he had remaining. When the Inquisitor lunged, Tom instinctively found the perfect parry and counterattack. They spun together in the mists, and finally, without quite knowing what was going on, Tom became the mists. 

Floating in the everywhere and nowhere at once, Tom knew... everything. He saw into the distance and into the far depths of time. More importantly, though, he knew exactly what he needed to do to put the Inquisitor's life to an end.

In a deep, booming voice, Tom spoke as the wind in the Inquisitor's ear:
"YOU ARE A STICK."
"No!" The Inquisitor screamed. "I am the Inquisitor! And these are my spikes!" She waved her spikes menacingly toward the direction of the voice.
"YOU ARE A STICK."
"YOU ARE A STICK."
"YOU ARE A STICK."
"YOU ARE A STICK."
"YOU ARE A STICK."
"YOU ARE A STICK."
"YOU ARE A STICK."
"YOU ARE A STICK."
"YOU ARE A STICK."
"YOU ARE A ST-"
And just like that, the newly ascended Preservation realized his plan. A chunk of Investiture spontaneously appeared from Roshar, answering the call, and letting Tom harness the powers of Soulcasting. Don't ask me how that would realistically work. It probably wouldn't. But in this hypothetical universe, it somehow happened.

The scary, powerful, menacing Inquisitor convinced herself that she was indeed a stick.

LG59 is over! Thank you to everyone for playing, and congratulations to the village for their victory. :D 

I have so many people to thank. I'll start off with @Coop772 for his help with GMing and @Alvron for being the IM. @Elbereth, @Fifth Scholar, and @Devotary of Spontaneity were invaluable in helping me balance and edit the rules of my first game. @Haelbarde and @Burnt Spaghetti, among others in the Discord, came up with some awesome titles (some of which I used), and @Butt Ad Venture even wrote a writeup for me. In addition to that, every single one of you signed up despite this being an incredibly busy time of the year, and I'm so grateful for all of the people who played or spectated for taking the time to do so.

@_Stick_, it was super fun having you in the elim doc. Despite not having converts, it never got lonely in there. @Snipexe, thank you for being lynched Day 1 and tolerating it :) @Cicada, I hope you enjoyed your first game and that you'll stick around.

Now for the fun part:
Dead doc https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EPZPG_kSbI4mo57P7OxGxWK0wUcprgyS2igf-LURUCM/edit#

Elim doc https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dKK9PHPl3sCRtmQyQpdRvQuctZemTlsC3zwcWnOEBLU/edit#
GM spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1knOYaTGMjiT0sA-IPopxXSTn5mV00V3pvrqA5K1SZSw/edit#gid=0
Rules https://docs.google.com/document/d/1laraq97vMiiOxzlt9opQRi6mXJTzfAobBNFo8jEEwAs/edit

Alright, I'll post GM thoughts and stuff on how I might change this game in a later post, as I have to get to class. :P Again, well played everyone!

Edited by Lumgol
fixed the mentions

Good game everyone. My goal for my Hoid claim at the end was basically to just make people do a double take. I hoped, but didn't actually expect to convince anyone I was Hoid. I'm no Aman after all. : )
Stick played a marvelous game, and unfortunately, once we figured out it was role madness, it was a bit easy to clear people. If people had followed my roleclaim, It would have given Stick the game, and I would have been happy with that.
I said I destroyed the Atium spike, which Stick of course knew was false, but part of me was hoping she'd play along... I understand not doing so though.
Also, Drake, where's your sense of fun? : P
I also didn't think the abilities I gave myself were that bad. lol.

I don't have a lot more to say off the top of my head... but quick note to Venture:

Did I not make it clear enough? I even edited my post to prove it. : P

Now to read the docs! : )

Edited by Furamirionind

Thank you for running this game, Lum and Coop. I don't think I can overstate my appreciation for GMs for these games.

Hopefully I have redeemed my mistakes on D2 by pushing the lynch the right way on D3.

It was interesting how this setup dealt with having relatively few players (considering the low-ish player count, the activity was pretty good though). On one hand, the village had a comparatively large number of confirmable roles, and on the other, the eliminators had LyLo by D3. Each of these things is a fairly significant advantage, and it isn't obvious to me that one outweighs the other, but the game was definitely going to be decided one way or the other in the course of only a few cycles.

20 minutes ago, Furamirionind said:

Also, Drake, where's your sense of fun? : P

Well, you had come sort of close to actually convincing me, is the thing.

If I had known for sure what you were doing, I would have probably played along. But as it was, I was genuinely going through my thought process in the thread, trying to figure out if you were telling the truth or not.

Oh wow. This game was extremely fun. I really enjoyed playing it, and I'm glad that I was able to participate. 

@Lumgol, thank you for running this. I realize that there were  less people than you originally expected, but I still think you did a decent job at balancing the game. I would say that the game was relatively evenly balance, but with a steep slippery slope on either side (More so on the village victory side). Once one side gained the advantage, it became basically impossible for the other side to regain any semblance of winning. 

@_Stick_ I really think your efforts were amazing. I'm glad I was able to catch you when I did, but It would have been funner if you had been able to convert someone either night. I should have let you pull off the conversion, and If I knew in some way that you would have converted me, I probably would have let it go through. 

Oh, I should also apologize to Aman for not trusting you.  I was pretty sure you were village, but not 100% (Which I mean, no on should be 100% sure : P ), but between reading you as village, and believing your story as to why/how that happened, I really should have pushed harder against your lynch.

I know when I played with Orlok, he was pretty frustrated with his reputation too, as it made it extremely difficult to just play the game for fun, as the elims are always quick to kill him, and the village is quick to lynch him.

I had something else to put here, but I forgot it... : )

29 minutes ago, DrakeMarshmallow said:

Hopefully I have redeemed my mistakes on D2 by pushing the lynch the right way on D3.

Considering I was the one gunning for the Inquisitor D2 while you pushed the lynch on a Seeker, I'm not so sure :P

I'm a little sad that the game was concluded. Had I still been alive, I would have argued that Stick be allowed to Convert for the fun of it. With people anticipating her going for one of the vote manipulators, it would have been really fun to see if Stick threw a wrench into things by converting someone like Cicada, or if she'd convert Rath/Drake and play IKYK games with you all until you lynched her the third time.

1 minute ago, Furamirionind said:

I know when I played with Orlok, he was pretty frustrated with his reputation too, as it made it extremely difficult to just play the game for fun, as the elims are always quick to kill him, and the village is quick to lynch him.

Exactly this tbh. I harbor no anger or bad feelings over what happened since it's my own fault for not double checking the allomantic metals before I posted, but it really isn't fun / is really discouraging for me when people take the whole reputation too far. It's a large part of why I don't play much anymore.

Edited by Amanuensis

4 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Exactly this tbh. I harbor no anger or bad feelings over what happened since it's my own fault for not double checking the allomantic metals before I posted, but it really isn't fun / is really discouraging for me when people take the whole reputation too far. It's a large part of why I don't play much anymore.

You could always just do RP. : P
I've heard legendary rumors about your RP too, but never got to experience much of it. ; )

11 minutes ago, DrakeMarshmallow said:

It was interesting how this setup dealt with having relatively few players (considering the low-ish player count, the activity was pretty good though). On one hand, the village had a comparatively large number of confirmable roles, and on the other, the eliminators had LyLo by D3. Each of these things is a fairly significant advantage, and it isn't obvious to me that one outweighs the other, but the game was definitely going to be decided one way or the other in the course of only a few cycles.

Yep. I think if I had to change it at all, I would basically just remove Iron spikes, but also make a few village roles less powerful, the Seer for example. With the slow conversion rates, the Inquisitor will want to use the Iron spike above all else, which just gives less time for the other spikes with their fancy fancy powers. I really wanted to see the fancy spikey powers in action. XD

GG everyone :P Great write up, Lum. XD 

10 hours ago, Furamirionind said:

I said I destroyed the Atium spike, which Stick of course knew was false, but part of me was hoping she'd play along... I understand not doing so though

I do always play SE with the intention of having fun first and winning second, and I admit it would’ve been very fun to convert, but with the MR having started off I figured it’d be best to end the game here. Plus I’d feel bad for stripping the village of its victory xD. I wasn’t sure how many of us would pick having fun over winning. 

9 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

it would have been really fun to see if Stick threw a wrench into things by converting someone like Cicada, or if she'd convert Rath/Drake and play IKYK games with you all until you lynched her the third time.

My plan was to keep going for Rath until it went through xD 

I think my only concern with the game was that the village had way too many ways of clearing each other, with the whole role madness thing going on. Also how the game could only go one way or the other after D3 - the low number of players is probably to blame for that. But regardless, it was enjoyable. Thank you Lum and Coop for taking the time to run this game! 

19 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

Considering I was the one gunning for the Inquisitor D2 while you pushed the lynch on a Seeker, I'm not so sure :P

I'm a little sad that the game was concluded. Had I still been alive, I would have argued that Stick be allowed to Convert for the fun of it. With people anticipating her going for one of the vote manipulators, it would have been really fun to see if Stick threw a wrench into things by converting someone like Cicada, or if she'd convert Rath/Drake and play IKYK games with you all until you lynched her the third time.

I am sorry for lynching you. There are signs I should have seen that pointed towards your innocence. I wasn't willing to change my mind, in part in response to your suspicion against me the previous cycle, and I really should have been.

But I don't think you're being completely fair here. I clearly do not know the whole of your experience with people taking reputation too far, but speaking as the person whose thought processes largely invoked your recent lynch, are you willing to consider that this may not be the case in this game?

Do you believe that in this game, your reputation prevented you from getting a fair chance?

• You got unlucky and made an understandable mixup, but it resulted in a false claim. Yes, reputation absolutely changes the character of how people respond to the situation, but people without a reputation have certainly been mislynched over lesser misunderstandings. Indeed, by your own reasoning, simply being active and not yet having cleared myself in your eyes was lynchworthy, or at least scanworthy, one cycle prior.
  • You were reasonably close to not getting lynched. Had I not pushed hard for lynching you, other players would have let it be, as they were already doing before I posted. Or had we not both been kind of busy with ongoing other stuff, there is also a reasonable chance your lynch would have been averted.
  • I kind of go out of my way to give you a fair chance. I've never really been one to suggest or agree with a D1 lynch or nightkill on you or anyone in a similar position, for the exact reasons you are stating, because when something like that starts happening one too many times, it's really not alright. I am always a bit reluctant to target you unless I have a reason to target you and you specifically, which really isn't something I do for most players. It's just that I did perceive a reason to target you specifically in this game. Perhaps you believe I should have known better, and you would be right, but I legitimately believed you were evil, and so I acted on it.

Regardless, insofar as you have a legitimate grievance, please do not hold it against anyone else here but me. Yeah other people voted for you, but the fault was mainly mine, and not something I would want you to hold against the shard or SE as a whole.

Like I said, nothing personal.

I do think that if a vast majority of players posted exactly what I did, they would have been given the benefit of the doubt and allowed another night turn to prove their role. Heck, a Village Tineye could have easily confirmed if I was honest or not while I checked another player's role, and the village would have benefited a lot more for giving the only claimed Seeker a chance over lynching the "Inquisitor" that day, should I really be them.

That and your reasons for suspecting me directly contradicted the inevitable conclusion of me being evil. You were suspicious of me for basing my current read of you off other people's observations instead of my own, while insisting I was paying enough attention to figure out your role from an extremely obscure comment among an ocean of words. In my honest opinion, one of those facts could not simultaneously exist with the other in a game without PMs.

It's all good. It's just a symptom of a recurring problem with "veterans". It is my opinion that past games should not impact current ones. Just because I have lied to save myself in the past doesn't mean I always lie. And like with the vanilla claim, it doesn't mean a lie isn't for the benefit of the village.

It's not exactly a me thing. I take issue with the stubbornness more than anything. Given the facts I presented that turn, the possibility of me being honest should not have been discarded so easily.

But I suspect no matter what, we will both harbor the belief we were in the right. And honestly?

That's okay.

ED1T: Good game everyone. I wish it could have lasted a bit longer, but everyone played phenomenally.

Edited by Amanuensis

I suppose I do believe past games should impact current ones. I'm glad Anonymous Games are an option, and hope more of them appear if possible, but yeah. This game is a game about lying, and at least to me, a legitimate factor in how lying works is that it can sometimes make things harder when you succeed at it.

36 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

But I suspect no matter what, we will both harbor the belief we were in the right. And honestly?

That's okay.

Agreed. I kind of hope we understand where the other is coming from a bit better now, but I'm fine with agreeing to disagree on this.

Idk, I took issue with Aman's death the same reason I took issue with mine in LG56.
After reflecting on the game, I don't think the issue is actually reputation, just circumstance.
There is of course an issue with reputation, but as I was killed in that game for the same fundamental reason Aman was killed here, it doesn't make sense reputation is the issue, as... I have none. : )

anyways, I had more to say, but if the conversation is over, I won't post it.