non combative allomancey

Dancer

I suddenly had the idea for a comedic character who makes a living faking being a Smoker for hire, since most people hiring him are just rich nobles paranoid about getting Soothed or Rioted without their knowledge and his "coppercloud" is providing a placebo effect. And Mistings generally can't really call him on it either, since a normal Seeker couldn't detect him burning copper.

And the rare times someone detects Allomancy with bronze from someone he was supposed to be shielding, he makes up some lame excuse as to why he ran out of copper, or rusts, he must've got sold some vial of bronze by mistake, or he'd unintentionally stopped burning copper briefly when he had a sneezing fit due to allergies, sorry!

20 hours ago, Quantus said:

Are they actually difficult, I thought that was just the commonly quoted unit of measure (that the average dose would compress 2 minutes into 15 seconds), but given that flairing Bendalloy is possible I dont see how tha limit would work.

If that hard limit is true it is interesting to me for several reasons.  That would be the only example of an allomantic metal with an actual limit to burning it that Im aware of, and I imagine it would complicate the crap out of flairing conversations.  Also has implications on most FTL designs Ive seen.  

I dont personally think so, though it's admittedly a culturally subjective question.  WOB has it that Rioting and Soothing's ability to modify your mood is roughly as potent as the way Music naturally has an effect on the listener's mood.  By that measure I dont think I see anything morally wrong with providing emotional calming on the level of Spa-Music. 

My assumption regarding bendalloy is because it burns quickly, and it is very expensive. The money you would make as a short order cook would not balance out the cost of bendalloy and how much you would need to maintain it daily over a work day. 

I agree regarding your points on ethics of soothing and rioting for therapeutic purposes. 

5 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

My assumption regarding bendalloy is because it burns quickly, and it is very expensive. The money you would make as a short order cook would not balance out the cost of bendalloy and how much you would need to maintain it daily over a work day. 

I agree regarding your points on ethics of soothing and rioting for therapeutic purposes. 

The economics of it are a very good point, I wasnt even sort of considering that side.  

4 minutes ago, Quantus said:

The economics of it are a very good point, I wasnt even sort of considering that side.  

Conversely, this just gave me another idea. Fine dining restaurant specializing in meat dishes. Braised meats in minutes. Given the potential prices they could charge for rare cuts on demand, that may offset the bendalloy costs. 

Chromium mistings can be used for when you go through customs. Anything that the think looks suspiciously invested it will be instantly leached. They should have this policy at the perpendicularity. Don't want people coming through the Scadrian Cosmere border with items like shardblades and Nightblood. 

2 hours ago, Dancer said:

Chromium mistings can be used for when you go through customs. Anything that the think looks suspiciously invested it will be instantly leached. They should have this policy at the perpendicularity. Don't want people coming through the Scadrian Cosmere border with items like shardblades and Nightblood. 

Nalthian on vacation:  "My Breathes!!! I'm RUINED!!!!"

• Chaos locked this topic