Dancer

non combative allomancey

32 posts in this topic

We have seen in era 2 that allomancy is integrated into every day life on Northern Scadrial. We see this with the postal crevice using coinshots to deliver mail, leaches being used in the police, rioters and soother in politics and I assume pewter arms in labor. I was wondering what other uses of allomancy (not tech based) would be out there that we do not see. I would say that there are definitely coinshots and tineyes in the music industry. Imagine a really skilled coinshot or lurcher pushing or pulling on the strings of a violin or guitar. They could literally play with no hands and tineyes are a no brainer (perfect pitch anyone). When electricity becomes wide spread I can just see coinshots or lurches being used to spin turbines (obviously before the use of Harmonium becomes wide spread). what are some other everyday jobs you can see allomancers (or Ferrings for that matter) doing on Scadrial. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe not every day but bendalloy mistings being used to speed up production. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing era 2's been missing is sports. I can definitely imagine sports centered around steel/iron and pewter, ala pro-bending in Legend of Korra.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rioter and soother therapists or in business.  Lurchers acting as riot police to pull away weapons.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unkeyed bendalloy medallions to help stop hunger and starvation- also for weight loss!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite non combat allomancy would probably be allomantic sports, like was said earlier. An interesting idea could be a cooperative maze escape where the only communication is emotional allomancy between brass and zinc mistings, and each team has to come up with a code of emotional changes to communicate different things to each other to get out before the other teams. Of course the best way to prevent cheating would be to station tin mistings around the mazes to listen closely for any words or nonverbal noises that could be used to communicate.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dancer said:

We have seen in era 2 that allomancy is integrated into every day life on Northern Scadrial. We see this with the postal crevice using coinshots to deliver mail, leaches being used in the police, rioters and soother in politics and I assume pewter arms in labor. I was wondering what other uses of allomancy (not tech based) would be out there that we do not see. I would say that there are definitely coinshots and tineyes in the music industry. Imagine a really skilled coinshot or lurcher pushing or pulling on the strings of a violin or guitar. They could literally play with no hands and tineyes are a no brainer (perfect pitch anyone). When electricity becomes wide spread I can just see coinshots or lurches being used to spin turbines (obviously before the use of Harmonium becomes wide spread). what are some other everyday jobs you can see allomancers (or Ferrings for that matter) doing on Scadrial. 

Where did you get A-Tin gives perfect pitch? Never been mentioned to my knowledge. Maybe you're confusing that with Breaths? Also, wouldn't playing the music loud enough for an audience to hear be painful for the Tineye? Although, a deaf Tineye ala Beethoven or Mozart might be interesting.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Harrycrapper said:

Where did you get A-Tin gives perfect pitch? Never been mentioned to my knowledge. Maybe you're confusing that with Breaths? Also, wouldn't playing the music loud enough for an audience to hear be painful for the Tineye? Although, a deaf Tineye ala Beethoven or Mozart might be interesting.

It might not give perfect pitch from the get go but it would definitely help in being able to hear if notes are off. With practice I would assume you could develop perfect pitch quite quickly. You would need to turn it off if you are performing to a large crowd though. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Impact said:

Rioter and soother therapists or in business.  Lurchers acting as riot police to pull away weapons.  

Therapists yes, and I think they said there were recreational bars/clubs/dens for that too, but wasnt there mention of it being illegal to use emotional allomancy on shop customers?

5 hours ago, Dancer said:

It might not give perfect pitch from the get go but it would definitely help in being able to hear if notes are off. With practice I would assume you could develop perfect pitch quite quickly. You would need to turn it off if you are performing to a large crowd though. 

Perfect Pitch (ie. Absolute Pitch) is technically something different that cant really be learned (at least in the real world) so it would be qualitatively different than the basic Increased Hearing Sensitivity that Allomancy grants.   It would still likely help with music and possibly increase their relative pitch capabilities, but on the flip side they'd likely have difficulty performing in any loud environments, so small crowds only.  

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Therapists yes, and I think they said there were recreational bars/clubs/dens for that too, but wasnt there mention of it being illegal to use emotional allomancy on shop customers?

I meant more in business meetings than for customers.  Still wouldn't be great, but I could see it being done

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Impact said:

I meant more in business meetings than for customers.  Still wouldn't be great, but I could see it being done

Oh, in that setting certainly.  Politicians and public speakers too, I would think.  I got the sense it was frown upon to Sooth/Riot people without their knowledge, but was relatively acceptable in curcumstances where it was expected, like a concert or political rally

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Oh, in that setting certainly.  Politicians and public speakers too, I would think.  I got the sense it was frown upon to Sooth/Riot people without their knowledge, but was relatively acceptable in curcumstances where it was expected, like a concert or political rally

Not even sure it would be acceptable, but you know someone would do it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Impact said:

Not even sure it would be acceptable, but you know someone would do it.

I think they'd get away with it fine if they were up-front about it.  As in Signs and probably having the Rioters/Soothers visible and readily identifiable.  Seems to me like an Informed Consent sort of thing. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm most curious about Nicrobursts. Nicrosil is the only Allomantic metal we've never seen burned at all, ever. And in a world without Mistborn to stack duralumin and another metal, this is the only way to get duralumin-level Allomancy, by teaming up.

I think Brandon has mentioned that he's planning to explore a team of Mistings (featuring a Nicroburst) going after a criminal Mistborn in a cyberpunk/1980s era of Scadrial, what was originally going to be his "Era 2" but is now "Era 3" with the Wax and Wayne stories getting inserted in between them. That still doesn't quite excuse omitting even referential mention of Nicrobursts in Era 2, like "we shoulda brought Nicky along!"

In terms of "Misting Team Sports", I think a variant of field hockey would be popular. Picture a golf ball sized sphere of a light metal wrapped with padded leather, resulting in something the size of a softball, where a team of Coinshots and Lurchers (maybe 2 each, Left and Right, Front and Rear) competed to get it into the opponents' net, all wearing regulation harnesses with stone weights so everybody weighs the same, yet can't be directly Pushed or Pulled.

The goalie is a Pewterarm who couldn't Push or Pull the ball, but would have to physically catch and hold the ball (the metal being relatively small, he should be able to overpower it). And maybe another two Thugs, Left and Right, who might be able to simply run the ball into the net (where the "goalie" could try to tackle them, or wrest the ball away from them).

No Twinborn, though. That would be both too rare and too OP. Wax could win all by himself but Pushing the ball into the goal after tapping his ironmind for weight, to completely overpower the opponents' Allomancy. And the Pewterarm goalie who might catch the ball in his glove with it.

Edited by robardin
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, robardin said:

No Twinborn, though. That would be both too rare and too OP. Wax could win all by himself but Pushing the ball into the goal after tapping his ironmind for weight, to completely overpower the opponents' Allomancy. And the Pewterarm goalie who might catch the ball in his glove with it.

Ok firstly that sounds like an amazing sport.

Secondly there could be a twinborn-only league of this, where certain feruchemical powers on top of the pewter/steel/iron could be allowed. Obviously this would really limit the supply of players, but the genius application of the legally allowed ferring powers could be so entertaining and hype-inducing that it'd probably be worth the effort. Obviously it'd take some deliberation and experimentation to find out what feruchemical powers would be allowed (for, as you said, Crashers would be super OP...) I think compounders should just be banned up-front, no questions. Infinite weight for a lurcher would be overpowered for the exact same reason as a coinshot, infinite speed for the coinshots would be overpowered for obvious reasons, and infinite strength would be overpowered for again, (hopefully) obvious reasons (the greatest yeet in history though... dang).

I feel like Zinc feruchemy would be banned too, unless the other team had a twinborn with zinc feruchemy as well.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soothers working in child or aged care. No better way to deal with difficult children or put aged residents at ease then with a soother. Conversely rioters would be great at stage acting. You can literally make the audience feel what you wish to convey.      

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dancer said:

Conversely rioters would be great at stage acting. You can literally make the audience feel what you wish to convey.      

I actually had a similar idea for a character's background for a tabletop game. There's a dedicated rioter in the audience for a show, and people can pay extra (per the Allomantic Agreement of '94) for the rioter to manipulate their emotions during the show to get the closest experience to what the author intended.

Maybe people don't even have to pay extra - maybe having a rioter steering the audience's emotion is simply an expected part of high-profile productions, just like the lighting and music. There could be whole schools of thought related to rioting as a fine art.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Ok firstly that sounds like an amazing sport.

Secondly there could be a twinborn-only league of this, where certain feruchemical powers on top of the pewter/steel/iron could be allowed. Obviously this would really limit the supply of players, but the genius application of the legally allowed ferring powers could be so entertaining and hype-inducing that it'd probably be worth the effort. Obviously it'd take some deliberation and experimentation to find out what feruchemical powers would be allowed (for, as you said, Crashers would be super OP...) I think compounders should just be banned up-front, no questions. Infinite weight for a lurcher would be overpowered for the exact same reason as a coinshot, infinite speed for the coinshots would be overpowered for obvious reasons, and infinite strength would be overpowered for again, (hopefully) obvious reasons (the greatest yeet in history though... dang).

I feel like Zinc feruchemy would be banned too, unless the other team had a twinborn with zinc feruchemy as well.

By era three Medaillions might be common enough that this sort of sport could be possible.  The trick wouldnt necessarily be about finding twinborn players but rather finding talented players and having a Team Owner with pockets deep enough to provide a team's worth of relevant paired Medallions.  Natural-born Twinborns would then be a source of additional hype, but would not be a requirement.  And secret Spikes would be the PED's of the league.  

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pewterarm moving companies

Iron pullers working on building skyscrapers. Never have to worry about falling, you can just yank yourself back up onto the girder. 

Steel push short order cook. Make the food, throw it on a plate that is attached to a track, push the metal plate and the food flies on the track to the customer. 

Cadmium line management. For instance lets say you are at Disney land. have cadmium pulsers at specific points of the line. Group gets on the rollar coaster. Ride starts. All Cadmium pulsers along the line pulse till the ride is done. People get off, next group gets on. Rinse and repeat. Line appears to move super fast to those on line while time passes normally outside. No more frustrated line waiters. The only downside is people will need to be prepared to manage their time better

 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With medallions cadmium ferring bands. As a wind player myself I can say not having to breath would be super nice and make a band sound much better

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

Pewterarm moving companies

Iron pullers working on building skyscrapers. Never have to worry about falling, you can just yank yourself back up onto the girder. 

Steel push short order cook. Make the food, throw it on a plate that is attached to a track, push the metal plate and the food flies on the track to the customer. 

Cadmium line management. For instance lets say you are at Disney land. have cadmium pulsers at specific points of the line. Group gets on the rollar coaster. Ride starts. All Cadmium pulsers along the line pulse till the ride is done. People get off, next group gets on. Rinse and repeat. Line appears to move super fast to those on line while time passes normally outside. No more frustrated line waiters. The only downside is people will need to be prepared to manage their time better

 

Short Order Cooks should absolutely be Sliders: literal Instant Gratification!

Ditto for portrait Painters.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(deleted double post due to browser freeze?)

Edited by robardin
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2019 at 1:27 PM, Quantus said:

Short Order Cooks should absolutely be Sliders: literal Instant Gratification!

Ditto for portrait Painters.

Bendalloy bubbles are hard to maintain for more than a few minutes on end, which is not long enough to cook from scratch anything more than a fried egg. And the size of the bubble is hard to make big enough to fit more than a small area of the kitchen. So you'd better have all the chopped and/or partly cooked ingredients very close at hand.

It'd be easier and cheaper to use a Pulser like Marasi who can create a much larger area of effect, and maintain it for longer, to slow down time for the dining area while the kitchen gets ahead of them. Plus, the diners get to live a little longer, too! Skimming through time!

On 9/13/2019 at 2:46 AM, Dancer said:

Soothers working in child or aged care. No better way to deal with difficult children or put aged residents at ease then with a soother. Conversely rioters would be great at stage acting. You can literally make the audience feel what you wish to convey.      

I feel like there would be ethical problems and psychological risks with this...

Edited by robardin
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robardin said:

Bendalloy bubbles are hard to maintain for more than a few minutes on end, which is not long enough to cook from scratch anything more than a fried egg. And the size of the bubble is hard to make big enough to fit more than a small area of the kitchen. So you'd better have all the chopped and/or partly cooked ingredients very close at hand.

It'd be easier and cheaper to use a Pulser like Marasi who can create a much larger area of effect, and maintain it for longer, to slow down time for the dining area while the kitchen gets ahead of them. Plus, the diners get to live a little longer, too! Skimming through time!

Are they actually difficult, I thought that was just the commonly quoted unit of measure (that the average dose would compress 2 minutes into 15 seconds), but given that flairing Bendalloy is possible I dont see how tha limit would work.

If that hard limit is true it is interesting to me for several reasons.  That would be the only example of an allomantic metal with an actual limit to burning it that Im aware of, and I imagine it would complicate the crap out of flairing conversations.  Also has implications on most FTL designs Ive seen.  

Quote

I feel like there would be ethical problems and psychological risks with this...

I dont personally think so, though it's admittedly a culturally subjective question.  WOB has it that Rioting and Soothing's ability to modify your mood is roughly as potent as the way Music naturally has an effect on the listener's mood.  By that measure I dont think I see anything morally wrong with providing emotional calming on the level of Spa-Music. 

Edited by Quantus
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cadmium Food preservers. have a room full of food that needs to keep for two weeks, but it'll all rot in a few days? call a pulser. want fresh fish that was catch this morning but didn't go fishing? call a pulser. XD fresh never frozen isn't just a throw away line for these guys, it's a promise.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.