The nightwatcher

Okay so we can assume that when you ask for non material things or glimpses of the future , the Nightwatcher grants the request using Spiritual Mumbo Jumbo. But lets say you ask for a boat load of emerald broams , where would she get it from ? would the Theylen gem reserves suddenly lose like fifty percent of there supply ? or would she just soulcast them out of dirt .Lets say it is explained would you somehow have to carry all that home or would it just materialize in your home , how would she stop people from just taking them.

I know what you'll say " Its just a manipulation of fortun" well what if you specified that you want these ill gotten riches to materialize right in front of you??????

What the Nightwatcher does is similar to

mistborn spoilers

Spoiler

hemalurgy

or

Emporer's soul

Spoiler

Soul stamping

If you ask from broams she would likely give you an increased financial acumen.

Alternatively she might have a stack of them lying around from the last time someone tried to bribe her.  You never know.

Warbreaker

Spoiler

I assume that Nightblood ended up in her possession in return for a favor from Vasher so it is possible that she sometimes asks for material possessions.

Soulcasting makes a lot of sense- we know she's capable of giving out material objects- remember the story of the guy who got a pile of fine cloth from her- but I don't believe soulcasting can make gems, so that wouldn't be quite good enough if someone asked for money. Unless, of course, she's powerful enough to get around whatever prevents most people from doing that.

Or possibly she'd soulcast up something that could be sold for the amount of money you asked for, which would probably be good enough for most people. 

57 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

Or possibly she'd soulcast up something that could be sold for the amount of money you asked for, which would probably be good enough for most people. 

This seems most likely. Creating something so finely detailed and intricate that despite being made using Soulcasting, it's still absurdly valuable to the average merchant.

Of course, this then relies on you being able to intelligently sell it for that fortune of money, so... Good luck if your curse is to reduce your intellect as a punishment for your greed. Does the Nightwatcher do that sort of thing?

8 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

This seems most likely. Creating something so finely detailed and intricate that despite being made using Soulcasting, it's still absurdly valuable to the average merchant.

Of course, this then relies on you being able to intelligently sell it for that fortune of money, so... Good luck if your curse is to reduce your intellect as a punishment for your greed. Does the Nightwatcher do that sort of thing?

No not really ,the boons are not necessarily related to what you ask for

Does anyone else get the senses that Jasnah had some sort of boon from the nightwatcher? Because I could see it, in Oathbringer it mentions how early on in Jasnahs life she had some sort of affliction and now she is a genius this doesn't make sense to me and it stinks of the nightwatcher to me.

22 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

Does anyone else get the senses that Jasnah had some sort of boon from the nightwatcher? Because I could see it, in Oathbringer it mentions how early on in Jasnahs life she had some sort of affliction and now she is a genius this doesn't make sense to me and it stinks of the nightwatcher to me.

Her "lunacy" happened when she was a child.  I seriously doubt that child Jasnah could have made the journey to the valley.

2 minutes ago, Karger said:

Her "lunacy" happened when she was a child.  I seriously doubt that child Jasnah could have made the journey to the valley.

I was going to add that Gavilar or Navani being desperate brought here to the valley more likely Gavilar because he is okay with doing some unsavory things like his involvement with the sons of honor.

Just now, Kalaksbreath said:

I was going to add that Gavilar or Navani being desperate brought here to the valley more likely Gavilar because he is okay with doing some unsavory things like his involvement with the sons of honor.

I have a hard time believing Navani would ever allow that or that Gavilar could do it without people noticing(where has our warlord/king been all this time?).  

6 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

Navani’s not horrendously orthodox either though. Remember “I’d let a confused dishwasher marry us at this point.”

Regardless though I doubt she’s been to the Nightwatcher and I really hope she hasn’t. I’d much rather see her standing on her own two feet so to speak.

4 minutes ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

Navani’s not horrendously orthodox either though. Remember “I’d let a confused dishwasher marry us at this point.”

I was pointing out the child endangerment aspect.

4 minutes ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

Regardless though I doubt she’s been to the Nightwatcher and I really hope she hasn’t. I’d much rather see her standing on her own two feet so to speak.

Agreed.

On 9/10/2019 at 10:34 PM, twenty second of the sun said:

Okay so we can assume that when you ask for non material things or glimpses of the future , the Nightwatcher grants the request using Spiritual Mumbo Jumbo. But lets say you ask for a boat load of emerald broams , where would she get it from ? would the Theylen gem reserves suddenly lose like fifty percent of there supply ? or would she just soulcast them out of dirt .Lets say it is explained would you somehow have to carry all that home or would it just materialize in your home , how would she stop people from just taking them.

I know what you'll say " Its just a manipulation of fortun" well what if you specified that you want these ill gotten riches to materialize right in front of you??????

Well, how do Shards create anything? Sure, the Nightwatcher is just a Splinter, but I'd assume that she has enough power to be able to grant these wishes. Perhaps it is similar to Soulcasting, but I see no need for her to rely on other forms of magic.

• Chaos locked this topic