Stormlight 4 Readings and Info

Pagerunner

6 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

Sorry just catching up o this thread.. 

He said two or three and we have one coming in book 4 and then another in book 7 or 8. So that leave 0-1 in the previous 3 books. The summoning of the Everstorm seems like a clear one.  I would think "I am Unity" would have been one also but maybe not.

I don’t know what the other moments Brandon mentions are refering to, but I’ve read somewhere that the important scene in Row has to do with Hoid. It’ll apparently be different than Hoid’s usual Stormlight epilogues. I can’t wait to read it!

8 hours ago, Blind Radiant said:

I don’t know what the other moments Brandon mentions are refering to, but I’ve read somewhere that the important scene in Row has to do with Hoid. It’ll apparently be different than Hoid’s usual Stormlight epilogues. I can’t wait to read it!

I believe the monumental scene that is on the cosmere outline and Hoid's epilogue are different. Hoid gets a soliloquy in his epilogue, but it doesn't really make sense for a monumental scene to take place in an epilogue as that is when the action is being resolved.

On 7/8/2020 at 6:13 PM, StormingTexan said:

He said two or three and we have one coming in book 4 and then another in book 7 or 8. So that leave 0-1 in the previous 3 books. The summoning of the Everstorm seems like a clear one.  I would think "I am Unity" would have been one also but maybe not.

15 hours ago, Gears said:

I believe the monumental scene that is on the cosmere outline and Hoid's epilogue are different. Hoid gets a soliloquy in his epilogue, but it doesn't really make sense for a monumental scene to take place in an epilogue as that is when the action is being resolved.

On 7/9/2020 at 0:33 AM, Blind Radiant said:

A pillar scene does not have to be big or important plot wise.  Ender's game was based off of the battleroom game.  Feruchemy was based on Brandon's narcolepsy in highschool.

6 hours ago, Karger said:

A pillar scene does not have to be big or important plot wise.  Ender's game was based off of the battleroom game.  Feruchemy was based on Brandon's narcolepsy in highschool.

Hmm maybe but this quote implies to me at least it is something big or important. 

Christopher Paolini

Without spoilers, what can readers look forward to? [In Rhythm of War]

Brandon Sanderson

There is a character moment that was one of the pillars of my outline from the very beginning. This scene that I was working on. There were only two or three scenes that were core pillars. My beta readers feel like it landed. There won’t be a moment like this again until Book 7 or 8.

Miscellaneous 2020 (June 12, 2020)

5 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

Christopher Paolini

Brandon Sanderson

There is a character moment that was one of the pillars of my outline from the very beginning. This scene that I was working on. There were only two or three scenes that were core pillars. My beta readers feel like it landed. There won’t be a moment like this again until Book 7 or 8.

Depends on what you mean by important.  It could be important in a this is a unique character moment kind of way for example. 

Wow, I just read this most excellent report:

and learned a major new fact, namely:

46.  What form is a Listener at birth?
               Technically Dullform but they viewed it as Childform because it’s vibrant and alive in a way Dullform isn’t. It dulls as they age. Maturity is at seven or eight – not sure about continuity.                   Venli is 14 in Listener years. (10 for Listener is about 16 for humans)

This really changes my perception of Venli - she is so young! Also, I thought that the singers were longer-lived than humans, but it looks like they are the opposite. This explains the lack of children in Eshonai's chapters - the Listeners must have largely stopped breeding during the war. We still saw a few mate forms, so there ought to be some kids, but not the tens of thousands that should have been expected otherwise. Hopefully, the kids are with Thude's group of refusniks.

On his last facebook post we got half a map.  More cities in northern roshar and the implication that Brandon does not want us to see something in the western half of the map.

Edited by Karger

In terms of the "pillar scene," as far as I'm aware, there are six WoBs which I've seen used to refer to it, whether correctly or incorrectly:

Questioner

What's the thing you're most excited about doing for Stormlight 4?

Brandon Sanderson

I've got a really cool thing set up for Wit's epilogue that I've been planning to do for a long time. So the Wit soliloquy at the end is going to be a little extra special.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

Questioner

Previously, you told me that Hoid loves bacon. Is there any other thing that you can tell me about Hoid that we won't be able to RAFO?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh man, I'm running out of stuff to tell you about Hoid that I can't RAFO because I get asked this enough that I forget what I've told people and what I haven't. I'm particularly fond of his monologue for the fourth book. So, be looking forward to that. It's a little different than the others.

Skyward Atlanta signing (Nov. 17, 2018)

Brandon Sanderson

It has been almost twenty years since I first outlined The Stormlight Archive. Back then, I didn’t think anyone would be interested in this crazy epic I’d devised–and it’s been so thrilling to see enthusiasm for it grow to such heights over the years.  Book four finally gets to one of the foundational scenes I conceived from the beginning. In fact, it might be the very first big scene I imagined, and my favorite in the entire series.  A part of me can’t believe people are finally going to be able to read it.

Miscellaneous 2019 (Dec. 10, 2019)

The Dusty Wheel

Where does your favorite scene take place in this book [Rhythm of War]?

Brandon Sanderson

In this one it's in Part 4. It's a character who only has one viewpoint in Part 4. It is the ... Let's just say it's the chapter in this book where we get a story from Wit. We usually get one in every book - sometimes two - we get one in this book and it's the chapter that has his story.

The Dusty Wheel Interview (April 1, 2020)

Questioner

You said earlier that Rhythm of War includes a key sequence that you have envisioned for years. How does it feel to have captured the sequence? And are you personally happy with the result?

Brandon Sanderson

Feels great to finally write that sequence. And now that the beta reads are in, I can say the sequence works. Really, really pleased. Really happy that it came together. There were other things that needed to change, but that one worked. There almost have been no edits or revisions to that whole sequence through all the drafts. I've been planning it for so long. It's one of those things that I wrote, and it was as I imagined it, and it came together. And you will be able to read it in Part Five of Rhythm of War.

YouTube Livestream 9 (May 28, 2020)

Christopher Paolini

Brandon Sanderson

Miscellaneous 2020 (June 12, 2020)

This scene is not a Cosmere foundational scene, it is a Stormlight foundational scene. And there is no direct statement that it will involve Wit. There's a cool thing for Wit's epilogue, which is in Part 5, but I think it's far from a given that it's a core pillar. And it can't be Wit's story, since that's in Part Four (and the pillar scene is in Part Five.) For what it's worth, I've been keeping an eye on WoBs (as I have a habit of doing), and I don't recall seeing anything to dissuade me from my suspicion that this scene is The New Oathpact. So if anyone's got a WoB I don't have up above that says something different, please let me know.

2 hours ago, Karger said:

On his last facebook post we got half an updated map.  More cities in northern roshar and the implication that Brandon does not want us to see something in the western half of the map.

That looks to me like the Words of Radiance map. https://www.brandonsanderson.com/the-stormlight-archive-series/#WORDSOFRADIANCE

1 hour ago, Pagerunner said:

In terms of the "pillar scene," as far as I'm aware, there are six WoBs which I've seen used to refer to it, whether correctly or incorrectly:

This scene is not a Cosmere foundational scene, it is a Stormlight foundational scene. And there is no direct statement that it will involve Wit. There's a cool thing for Wit's epilogue, which is in Part 5, but I think it's far from a given that it's a core pillar. And it can't be Wit's story, since that's in Part Four (and the pillar scene is in Part Five.) For what it's worth, I've been keeping an eye on WoBs (as I have a habit of doing), and I don't recall seeing anything to dissuade me from my suspicion that this scene is The New Oathpact. So if anyone's got a WoB I don't have up above that says something different, please let me know.

That looks to me like the Words of Radiance map. https://www.brandonsanderson.com/the-stormlight-archive-series/#WORDSOFRADIANCE

If I was to make a guess based off of this very limited information and my general love for crackpot/tinfoil theories, I'd wager that the foundational scene is Hoid telling a story to someone, and that creating a chain reaction that sets off the entire climax/parts of the climax. Maybe it's the Oathpact being reforged; maybe it's the mass Ideal-swearing of new Knights, be it Singer or human. I don't know.

And then the epilogue is Hoid musing about what he did and how he lied to said character(s) to make it happen, and is now reaping the benefits in a way that makes us both scared for Hoid and scared of Hoid.

Edited by Use the Falchion

I would guess we're finally going to get Taln returning to lucidity as our pillar scene.  As I understand Taln was the/a main character in the original Stormlight Archive version, yet he's been very sidelined so far in the first 3 books.  Perhaps Hoid tells a story to remind Taln of who he is and why he fights, and we finally get Taln back as a POV character. 

My long-shot guess is that we'll find out Hoid played a part in hatching the plan to send only Taln to Braize after the last desolation, suspecting that it was the only way to deny Odium imminent victory with all the other Heralds being broken.

On 7/11/2020 at 10:05 AM, Isilel said:

This really changes my perception of Venli - she is so young! Also, I thought that the singers were longer-lived than humans, but it looks like they are the opposite. This explains the lack of children in Eshonai's chapters - the Listeners must have largely stopped breeding during the war. We still saw a few mate forms, so there ought to be some kids, but not the tens of thousands that should have been expected otherwise. Hopefully, the kids are with Thude's group of refusniks.

That actually makes her a little older than Kaladin, or at least the same age.  The ratio is 1.6, Kaladin is 20 at the start of WoK, 21 during OB, and 22 for RoW (it's a year later), 10:16 means Venli at 14 listener years would be 22.4 human years.

I don't think we can assume they have a smaller lifespan.  In fact I'd guess the opposite, if they live the same amount of 'listener years' as a human would 'human years', then maybe they do live 1.6 times as long?  Many of the older ones are probably just dead from the war.

13 hours ago, Kuram said:

That actually makes her a little older than Kaladin, or at least the same age.  The ratio is 1.6, Kaladin is 20 at the start of WoK, 21 during OB, and 22 for RoW (it's a year later), 10:16 means Venli at 14 listener years would be 22.4 human years.

This only applies to physical maturity, not to life experience, of which Venli still only has 14-Rosharan-years-worth. No wonder that she was taken in by Ulim rather easily. As to overall singer life-span, I guess we'll see. In RL animals, maturation rate tends to correlate with longevity, though there are a few outliers.

Anyway, a couple of intriguing new snippets from Livestream 12: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/430-youtube-livestream-12/

For those who are deep lore cosmerenauts and are wondering about the Dawnshards, we are going to talk about them in this novella. So, yes, we will be going to Aimia.

Right now, Rysn, probably Lopen as a secondary viewpoint character is my guess. But I haven't written it yet, so I have to see how the viewpoints work out.

This is the first time that we have heard about Lopen coming along on this adventure, right? And:

Stargyle? That's Steve Argyle. It is a cool name. I'm like, "How can I put a 'Steve' in that doesn't sound... He's a Lightweaver; what if he just made up a really cool stage name for himself?

Is a confirmation of what most of us have expected - that we'll see a number of new Radiants in RoTW, not all of whom are going to be former squires or otherwise connected to the first 8. So, it is now official that a Lightweaver going along on undercover missions, such as the one in Lirin's chapter, doesn't have to be Shallan.

3 hours ago, Isilel said:

This only applies to physical maturity, not to life experience, of which Venli still only has 14-Rosharan-years-worth. No wonder that she was taken in by Ulim rather easily. As to overall singer life-span, I guess we'll see. In RL animals, maturation rate tends to correlate with longevity, though there are a few outliers.

I think you have that backwards.  She is 14 'listener years', and if 10 listener years is equal to 16 human years, then she is 14*1.6 =22.4 years old by rosharan calendar (which is what I assume human years are measured on).  Be interesting to find out what the listener calendar is based on, though.

4 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

In which Brandon assumes the preview chapters have already started. He reads an excerpt from Chapter 7. 

I thought that was odd too.  You posted several times though.

15 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

He also made a mistake on the first question he conflated Oathbringer and the honorblades. Also RAFO'd whether Shashara had visited Roshar. Pretty sure we have confirmation on that.

We know that some of the five scholars did not her personally.  Still it was probably an over site.

I am more interesting in the new Edgedancer Godeki?

Also F Moash.  What was Shallan doing?  That fabrail sounds scary.

• Chaos unpinned this topic