Shardblades and voidbinding

Kramerfarve

I think he's asking, could someone bonded to a voidspren summon that spren as a Shardblade?  My gut answer is yes, because that seems to be the way the magic works on Roshar.  But there isn't any firm evidence either way, as far as I know.  It'll depend on what Brandon Sanderson has in mind.

My question is, would a voidbinder, Connected to that magic system in the normal way ie not Renarin, be able to summon a living magical blade that cuts through *almost* everything made of a god metal? I’d assume that would require a type of spren bond, but idk that’s not the point. My question is if a run of the mill voidbinder gets a magical weapon.

Actually, there's one other point to keep in mind: summoning a spren as a Blade requires more than just a basic Nahel bond.  The Radiant must advance his bond by way of oaths, and only after his advancement reaches a certain point can the Blade be summoned.  And as I recall, deepening the spren bond requires the participation of both the human and the spren.  It's entirely possible that a voidspren bond eschews the progression system entirely and doesn't have a way to "reach" the greater level of connection required to summon a Blade.

As I said before, it could go either way, and until we get some firm evidence all we can do is speculate.

10 hours ago, Kramerfarve said:

My question is, would a voidbinder, Connected to that magic system in the normal way ie not Renarin, be able to summon a living magical blade that cuts through *almost* everything made of a god metal? I’d assume that would require a type of spren bond, but idk that’s not the point. My question is if a run of the mill voidbinder gets a magical weapon.

My thoughts on this are that "normal" Voidbinders cannot.  I think they can create something similar (*pointing at Midnight Essence*) but not a Shardblade that has the same properties as what an individual with a Nahel bond can summon.  My opinion is also that a normal Voidbinder doesn't really need one, because I am increasingly certain that Voidbinding is a very destructive* art at its core (to power it), similar to how a Hemalurgic spike is not good for the donor's health.

* I'm not counting Renarin here.

Edited by dvoraen

I'm going to say no, just because living blades are the result of radiant spren imitating honorblades via the Nahel bond. I think the voidbinders are getting access to magic by an entirely different function, so if they have blades I can only assume that also would be by a separate function. I feel like we would have seen it in OB if it was happening. I don't count Renarin in this since he is accessing with a corrupted radiant spren/ Nahel bond.

I mean, I feel like if the Fused has Shardblades, we would've seen that by now. And Yelig-nar's hosts don't seem to get them either, but maybe that's just because they tend to die too quickly for that to be practical. And Renarin, meanwhile, definitely can summon a blade. 

But if assume none of those things are Voidbinders, when, then the question becomes really hard to answer because we first need to answer what exactly Voidbinding entails. If it's just forming a Nahel bond with a Voidspren, then it wouldn't be surprising to see a Blade from that, but if it's anything else, a Blade seems unlikely to me. 

2 hours ago, Gilphon said:

I mean, I feel like if the Fused has Shardblades, we would've seen that by now. And Yelig-nar's hosts don't seem to get them either, but maybe that's just because they tend to die too quickly for that to be practical. And Renarin, meanwhile, definitely can summon a blade. 

That about sums it up.

I agree that it's not likely that we'll see voidblades, simply because there's been no mention of them so far.  However, I believe that it should be theoretically possible for it to happen.  If Seons/Skaze can turn into blades, then voidspren should be able to as well.  

Sir Jerric

Could a Seon or a Skaze turn into some sort of Shardblade on their home planet?

Brandon Sanderson

That is theoretically possible.  They work under the same fundamentals but they would need to have something to pull them more into the Physical Realm.  

Words of Radiance Omaha signing (March 13, 2014)

Edited by Scion of the Mists

• Chaos locked this topic