Trails of Cold Steel (and the Kiseki series in general)

Zurvanight

25 minutes ago, Weltall said:

I mean, that's actually been confirmed for some time now, this was just the last step. xD

Hide contents

One of the shop preorder bonuses is a tapestry featuring Renne and Agnes together and some time after that, they released a screenshot of Van talking with Renne, they just had her name obfuscated.

We now have all the characters we've seen in promo material formally introduced.

I know they were practically confirmed, but actually SEEING them is a whole different thing. Also I love the model and I'm half freaking out about that too

Hate to double-post, but I need to drop some things. Oh my storming Eidos. So much to say about chapter 1 of CS3, because I'm assuming I'm at the end. I don't know, this thing just crashed and I'll have to repeat three boss battles after writing this.

Spoiler

First, I love the pacing. It's slow as hell, the days happen practically in real time, but the thing I like is how grounded it feels. We have to be thorough in Saint Arkh because Parm is far away and we don't know if we'll get back today. It's amazing, takes me back to the sprite days. Especially after spending an entire game being able to literally teleport around the entire country. Which wasn't worse than that time the Liberl party visited every town in the country on foot, short on firepower, saving a school and a wedding in the process, in a single day, but still.

I like the branch campus as a whole better than the main one, I think. The layout feels more like a school, Aurelia is surprisingly amazing, and I'm so glad these students don't have to go through the period of squabbling the main campus does where nobles and commoners fight their entire first year. Here people just don't care. 

Graphically, I knew it was going to be an improvement, and I had seen screenshots and videos, which is why I was so surprised by how unprepared I was for the change. The scenery feels so full. There's so much color and detail and come on, in 1 and 2 a grassy plain was literally a big flat place painted green with a flower every ten meters or so. Now it actually feels alive. 

Not to mention the new animations. The model quality went up but it wouldn't have been too different in the long run if not for those animations. Everyone is so expressive and their movements so natural and is that Laura's hair I see moving with the wind? Respecting the direction and all? Amazing. 

And overall the whole thing feels like it's teasing me with the payoff it promises. I squealed loudly when I saw Tita, Agate, and Randy. Ouroboros is moving openly right from the start. We talk about Hamel and the annexation of Crossbell and the Phantasmal Blaze Plan almost in the same conversation. It's like all of the things the series has been setting up since the first game are coming together all at the same time. It's so hard to stop playing every day.

Shirley's English voice is amazing by the way. Good thing too because I now have to repeat her fight so I'll go do that. 

14 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

Which wasn't worse than that time the Liberl party visited every town in the country on foot, short on firepower, saving a school and a wedding in the process, in a single day, but still.

This is one of those 'gameplay and story segregation' things. Canonically the events of Chapter 8 span three or four days and the finale takes another three based on some mentions of time passing in-universe and much later the Black Records which say the Orbal Shutdown lasted about a week. That's still a lot of walking but Liberl's a relatively small country so it's not quite as nuts as doing the whole thing in a day.

Likewise the events of FC as a whole spans roughly six months, since the Liberl News mentions at the start of the game that the Queen's birthday celebration is about that far away away and the celebration happens at the very end of the game.

It's like all of the things the series has been setting up since the first game are coming together all at the same time. It's so hard to stop playing every day.

Yeah, the back half of Cold Steel is explicitly the culmination of stuff that's been building up for the whole series and CS3 throws you right into things. xD

4 hours ago, Weltall said:

This is one of those 'gameplay and story segregation' things. Canonically the events of Chapter 8 span three or four days and the finale takes another three based on some mentions of time passing in-universe and much later the Black Records which say the Orbal Shutdown lasted about a week. That's still a lot of walking but Liberl's a relatively small country so it's not quite as nuts as doing the whole thing in a day.

That would make more sense, yeah. Harder to pull off with the calendar system now. 

4 hours ago, Weltall said:

Yeah, the back half of Cold Steel is explicitly the culmination of stuff that's been building up for the whole series and CS3 throws you right into things. xD

That makes me even more eager to keep playing. I hope the playing obsessively phase passes soon. School just started and before long I'll probably have my plate full with other stuff. But come on, it seems chapter 2 will be a boatload of nostalgia. I need to see this. 

16 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Im never going to finish this game. Back into a dialogue round now. Can’t summon the will to sit through it at present more than one sector at a time. Just ugh so slow and boggy right now. Been a bad 2 months really.

So I guess the npc dialogue grows exponentially in this game. Can't say I didn't see it coming. The first free day took me like 7 hours to complete despite being relatively tame when it came to the actual tasks. And the first field exercise did have two batches of dialogue for each town per day.

I think I can feel the size of the script pressing against my face now. It's like a freshly baked Sanderson book. 

Edited by Eluvianii

4 hours ago, Briar King said:

Popping in

Im never going to finish this game. Back into a dialogue round now. Can’t summon the will to sit through it at present more than one sector at a time. Just ugh so slow and boggy right now. Been a bad 2 months really.

You don't need to do all the NPC dialogue, you can skip if you think it's slowing you down that much

Oh I’m way to committed in this world to skip. All that was decided back on CS1 for me. I just have to get to it and get back to spending time in my day actually playing my normal set time instead of reading or tv.

That said I’m now doing what I haven’t done in some time now and playing at this late hour to try and get through this.

Just got my 2 ultimate weapons as well as most of the other best ones but I ran out of umaterial. 

Im going to attempt to push so I can get to CS4 which hopefully won’t take near as long(I blame the addiction of fishing for a lot of this length)

I just really got thrown off with my kids here a lot this summer and the Olympics and I just haven’t recovered back to my normal gaming routine yet.

woot CS3 ch 5 stuff

I have Emblem on Rean so the items on his kills is extra and I wondered if this included quartz…it does! I just got 2 Diablos quartz from a kill in catacombs!

Edited by Briar King

Tomatonio reincarnates into Stick, Eluvianii said it first. xD

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's two weeks until Kuro releases and we've had a decent bit of info drop. Probably the most interesting thing mechanically is the confirmation that boss fights are Command Battle-only, which might be why they renamed Action Battle to Field Battle a while back. There will be another livestream next week.

Edited by Weltall

Kuro's full OP movie has dropped and it's a doozy. I stuck it behind the spoiler tag as well as my thoughts because the thumbnail is a (minor) spoiler for Reverie.

Spoiler

They're using the same in-engine graphics that worked really well in Hajimari, so I don't mind if they keep this up in the future. It certainly isn't keeping them from doing awesome cinematic moments like the shots of Van and Elaine passing each other or cool fight scenes.

Agnes' orbment is obviously super-important if it's the first thing we see in the OP. Reminds me of both the Gospel in FC's OP and the ARCUS in CS1's.

Kaela's in the OP

Van's fighting Kasim, not a huge surprise something like that happens.

New villains show up and we have no immediately obvious leads to go on for who they are.

Shizuna suddenly has golden eyes in the shot where she fights Van, which resemble the ones Emma gets when doing serious magic.

Popping in

gah I was able to get on this AM and empty my bait inventory for another 40 droplets I’m saving up. My old friend was coming over after work to pick something up and he only just left so I missed my planned 4PM push. Now my ex is telling me my son wants to come over. I just keep getting put on hold it seems.

Im not sure when I’m going to do my Pom baits. I actually used one today just to see what happened then went back to prior save. I have 2 of them.

1 hour ago, Briar King said:

Been pushing all morning! Finally! At a save point right now after head spinning skits. CS3 ch 5 stuff

Hide contents

Lughman is Frank Reinford…whaaa is Black Aldrich and rust is going down at Karel.

Im letting my boy play GTA now till 4PM.

The twist that

Spoiler

Lughman was evil was actually super easy for a lot of people to predict because they've done a similar plot twist like three separate times. Not him being Alisa's father tho

Idk if this is a translation issue or not but if not CS3 ch 5 stuff

I hope someone explained to the Japanese creators that Gnomes are like foot tall underground dwellers, not normal humans. Of course I haven’t actually talked to any of them yet(besides y’all know who) so I maybe am still due an explanation at the proper time in story.

3 hours ago, Briar King said:

Idk if this is a translation issue or not but if not CS3 ch 5 stuff

Hide contents

I hope someone explained to the Japanese creators that Gnomes are like foot tall underground dwellers, not normal humans. Of course I haven’t actually talked to any of them yet(besides y’all know who) so I maybe am still due an explanation at the proper time in story.

Spoiler

They have their own take on gnomes. They're not LITERAL gnomes.