Trails of Cold Steel (and the Kiseki series in general)

Zurvanight

CS2 Finale stuff

Spoiler

Xeno and Leo are fast holy crap! I have Emma as my main damage dealer for multiple enemies but she just kept dying before her turn. Even Fie died, with her 85% or so evasion. Had to rely on Laura for some reason being hard to kill, waiting for her to get 200 cp, s-breaking the crap out of them, and reviving everyone with Elliot's s-craft before giving the final blow. 

Popping in 

Oh my I’ve finally got in all the trophies for final bonding skits. Took a long time and seen multiple play outs on repeat as I decided which ones to keep.

I’m wiped for now so calling a time out. Not sure if I will continue later or wait for tomorrow’s 4pm session. I suspect that will be the start of a long skit so I need to have the time and patience for it.

Ugh! I only got through 2 “!” points in this “!” filled area this morning before the kids woke up and invaded my den. Feels like I will never finish this one up. Between all the redo’s I’ve had and the summer break with kids and the Olympics CS3 is just becoming an enjoyable drag the last 2 months. I want to be on 4 already.

So, ummm, been like three days since I beat the final boss but, CS2 stuff. Still. 

Spoiler

I'm starting to think that having three phases, two battle themes, and Latin vocals is no longer enough of a qualifier for a final boss.

Before starting the Reverie Corridor someone told me it was like an hour long. Lies. Burn me if this isn't twice as long as the Infernal Castle. Been four hours here, three cryptids down. Two to go I'm guessing.

If I sound bitter about that though, I'm not. I'm enjoying the heck out of this playable fanservice. 

Also, are those buyable party members? I can get Vita on my team? Who's the Corageous? Please tell me it's Victor. And who's the Silver? 

8 minutes ago, Eluvianii said:

So, ummm, been like three days since I beat the final boss but, CS2 stuff. Still. 

Hide contents

I'm starting to think that having three phases, two battle themes, and Latin vocals is no longer enough of a qualifier for a final boss.

Before starting the Reverie Corridor someone told me it was like an hour long. Lies. Burn me if this isn't twice as long as the Infernal Castle. Been four hours here, three cryptids down. Two to go I'm guessing.

If I sound bitter about that though, I'm not. I'm enjoying the heck out of this playable fanservice. 

Also, are those buyable party members? I can get Vita on my team? Who's the Corageous? Please tell me it's Victor. And who's the Silver? 

Get them and find out!

Also the epilogue is its own full fledged chapter. With its own boss. The epilogue boss is the true final boss.

12 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

Hide contents

Sometimes the vocals are actually English. Or at least, the bits we can make out are. xD

So, once you're done with Epilogue since I assume you'll be jumping to CS3 next, there's something that comes up on New Game Plus runs of CS2 that you don't strictly need to see (because CS3 will fill you in over the course of the game) but it's helpful to know since it's a big chunk of important lore and getting it sooner rather than later can't hurt. In brief, there's a new book collection quest spanning the game but you can't actually read them until Epilogue. In lieu of replaying literally the entire game over again to see it, you might want to check out this video when you have a few minutes to spare.

Popping in

oh my word CS3 ch 4 stuff

finally get some time for 4pm session and knock out all these “!” icons only for them to reset for new mingle bits. I actually like this since it’s a party but I didn’t expect it so when it happened I just put my controller down, looked at the ceiling and “urghloled”

1 hour ago, Val the Moofia Boss said:

Are there any songs in English besides Aria of the Holy Saint? Maybe in the Ys series?

I wasn't counting vocal songs per se but songs that have background vocals, which Falcom almost never provides the lyrics for. Termination from Ys Origin is a rare exception where they do provide them and coincidentally the lyrics to that one are in English. You can also hear English in parts of The Azure Arbitrator and Reverie's final boss song at the very least.

Quite a few of the vocal songs (loosely defined as 'songs where the vocals are the focus of the song') have English lyrics, including one more Trails song (Missin', a vocal rearrangement of Visions from SC) and there's also one in French (Lumiere dans dedale) and Ys has a fair number as well.

Edited by Weltall

All right, so that's a wrap. All things CS2 ahead. 

Spoiler

In the end I was too eager to see what was next and didn't save up for the characters. What was next was a credits roll. Figures. Now this game decides to act like a game, of course. I did leave a save file specifically to go back and experiment with them so I may do that one of these days. 

About the ending itself, that freaking scene post-final boss, couldn't hold back the tears. Got me almost as good as The 3rd's, though that one was on a league of its own (storming Estelle, that was such a good speech). 

Now, this is a bit weird but the game had so much going on so often that at times I did find myself a bit burned out, in need of a break, or underreacting to a big plottwist because the last one hadn't been even 5 hours prior. I don't know why but the pacing felt a little crammed to me from getting the Courageous onwards, even though Ao did something really similar and it's my favorite one. 

The pacing prior to getting the Courageous was freaking art though. 

I got really attached to Alfin, Toval, Claire, and Sharon in this game. I like how now Olivier and Alfin have participated in at least one final battle. Fitting for the royal family, only Cedric left. Except everyone seems to hate Cedric so I'll see what he does I guess. 

I'm also curious about Toval's past. Gotta dust off those Carnelia copies, haven't read it since the Erebonian embassy back in SC. Though he also says the story is not accurate, so I'll probably remain curious. 

So ummm is there a relation between Rean's powers and his parenthood? Maybe a link between those two things and Osborne's survival? Am I completely off track here? So many questions. 

Oh yeah, and what the hell does the guy want with the Phantasmal Blaze plan? I mean, it's something. So far it felt weird that the closest a character has come to the word 'evil' had land and economy as motivation. So yeah, this is bigger, but what does it mean? 

I also had quite a few spoilers for the game before starting but the one I wish I didn't have was Crow's death

Spoiler

And resurrection

The scene got me bad as it is, I can't imagine the sea of tears I would have turned into if I was going completely blind. Oh well. 

On the shipping side of things, I chose Towa but curiously enough, things are still in a "they like each other but say nothing" kind of state while if you choose Alisa you get a confession way back in CS1. So the game's preference is palpable. 

Oh, a funny thing. I knew since before starting the games that characters named Millium Orion and Altina Orion existed, but I never noticed the obvious relation until like 5 minutes before the game itself pointed it out. I feel so stupid now. 

Overall, this left me with many questions. That "But while this game may be over, Erebonia's story is only just beginning..." turns those questions into outright hunger, but I don't have CS3 and likely won't for a while. Yay. Guess I'll play the demo and distract myself with Tokyo Xanadu after. It will be hard to stop thinking about this but a small agonizing wait is always good, right? 

Edit: Dived right into the demo so as a small note, my first impression is that the Switch version doesn't know what anti-aliasing is. 

Edited by Eluvianii

I was impatient and made a bet. Risky bet. Stupid bet. I decided to try out the pc version of CS3 because regional pricing is a blessing and the local prices for a Switch game are definitely not. I knew it was a bad idea because I don't meet the requirements but it runs, for some reason. It also crashes relatively often but I can live with that. The deal breaker would be 20-minute loading screens but so far the long ones are like a minute long so, yay. If this proves comfortable enough in the long run, I might even get CS4 during the next Steam sale. 

6 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Kuro prerelease 

Reveal hidden contents

RENNE CONFIRMED RENNE CONFIRMED RENNE CONFIRMED RENNE CONFIRMED RENNE CONFIRMED RENNE CONFIRMED RENNE CONFIRMED lfjfdkydigfldoyfogsksjskdisjayrsudJzj AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaAAaaaaaaAAAAAA

I mean, that's actually been confirmed for some time now, this was just the last step. xD

Spoiler

One of the shop preorder bonuses is a tapestry featuring Renne and Agnes together and some time after that, they released a screenshot of Van talking with Renne, they just had her name obfuscated.

We now have all the characters we've seen in promo material formally introduced.