Trails of Cold Steel (and the Kiseki series in general)

Zurvanight

Ahh, finally finished Hajimari including its big expansion and that was one hell of a ride. And now I'm really really hyped for Calvard given the setup it's gotten.

On 10/2/2020 at 10:24 AM, Val the Moofia Boss said:

New story DLC for Hajimari is out. Looks like it's setting up an interesting subplot for Calvard.

Hide contents

Rean travels to Calvard (don't know the name of the place he's at). He stays at an inn and wakes up in the middle of the night as he is attacked by not one but two different ELOB users who use forms we've never heard of before, then goes back to bed.

I wonder what the design of Rean's new sword will be (he broke his sword in the fight and says he's going to get a new one). Would be a good chance to freshen up his character design by giving him a different weapon design. Maybe a Chinese sword like a Dao? You don't need to use a katana or a Tachi to use ELOB abilities.

Hajimari Postgame:

Spoiler

The nameless Ikaruga members aren't using ELOB, as they rather specifically point out, they're using something called the 'Black God One Blade' style. Rean only thinks it's ELOB at first because it has some similar elements to it, in all likelihood it's one of the multiple Eastern styles that Yun synthesized into his own style. Hime on the other hand is definitely a practitioner since she calls Rean a fellow disciple and refers to Master Yun, but she's using a Zeroth Form which raises all kinds of questions.

On Rean's replacement sword, while you can use a different type of sword that doesn't mean Rean is likely to. Rean has practiced with the tachi and is used to a sword with a particular set of characteristics vis weight, balance and shape. It's much more likely he'll simply get a new tachi than switch to a different sword with a new set of characteristics that he'd have to get used to. Note that the only times we see Rean not using a tachi are when he's in a mecha where the controls are more abstracted, or a one-off situation at the end of CS4.

Oh. and the location of that Episode segment was Longlai, which first got mentioned in CS3. It's on the far eastern edge of the Republic.

9 hours ago, Briar King said:

Getting my teeth knocked in. I sure don’t want to start that weaken option but man CS2 Act 1 stuff

Reveal hidden contents

Bleublanc and Altina are to tough even at lvl 67 and accessories don’t seem to matter with B’s cards..

Accessories block those effects just fine, you have to be equipping the right ones though. Stat Downs and Mute are easily prevented with storebought accessories, Nightmare is trickier because it's treated as a separate effect from the similar Sleep condition and the accessories that prevent it are rarer and require item exchange at the point you're at. Since you're probably out of luck there, stock up on Mint Drops beforehand. That effect can only hit one target at a time so you can't get into too much trouble even if nobody can resist it... and if you aren't equipping Wing you probably should; Even at minimum level that's a 50/50 chance to no-sell any status ailment.

Edited by Weltall

21 hours ago, Briar King said:

Getting my teeth knocked in. I sure don’t want to start that weaken option but man CS2 Act 1 stuff

Hide contents

Bleublanc and Altina are to tough even at lvl 67 and accessories don’t seem to matter with B’s cards..

You can get more turns to heal and do damage by having a character cat Chrono Drive on the party twice, for 50% speed boost. Also, if you stack delay on characters like Rean, and spam their delay crafts, like Arc Slash, you can get even more turns to heal and do damage.

For the adds that spawn, you can have Gaius deal with them. Beef up his STR and HP. Use Wild Rage for instant CP (Wild Rage takes a percentage chunk out of your HP, so the most HP you have the more likely he will survive any followup attacks), and then spam Savage Fang (which also deals delay, so try to stack that stat too!). Don't use his S-craft or he will bumped to the bottom of the turn order. You can also have Rean use Arc Slash or Gale to deal with the adds too. Stack STR on Millium and have her hit the adds hard too with her AoE crafts.

If you brought Fie, she can use Sweep to debuff the speed of the enemies, giving you even more turns.

If you brought Machias or Elliot, you can stack petrify or nightmare on them, and then spam their condition AoE crafts, Petrify Shot or Nocturne Bell on the adds. That will disable the adds. If you brought Claire, stack freeze on her and spam Frigid Rain on the adds to freeze them.

If a character is low on health, you can swap out with a character in reserve that is at full health and use their EP to cast healing arts and stuff.

Alisa and Toval are probably best used as support characters, Alisa using her Heavenly Gift and Blessed Arrow to heal up the party, give CP, and give the Shining Status (50% evasion buff). Toval has super fast arts cast time.

Kill video

Edited by Val the Moofia Boss

Yeah y’all play all smart and pay attention to stats. I go in swinging. Never really did learn to work games even after 40 years I just bull through things or I don’t.

I’m sick to my stomach though. I beat it but I couldn’t keep Rean and Gaius alive cause of course that’s who got targeted the next turns like 4 different times but anyway I gave up trying and just slugged it out till ole girl fell and afterwards all my peeps baring R&G got 25.5K exp points going up 2 lvls while those 2 only got 2K.... ugh

i mean they will be able to catch up with party eventually thanks to the system balance but it’s definitely going require more fights now to do so. That would have been a nice boost all around. Stupid revive balms don’t do a thing without Möbius

Edited by Briar King

WOOT WOOT WOOT!!! CS2 Act 1 stuff(so long!)

i have finished up that fight and moved to a Soldat fight with airship support and SHARON popped up! We are all back in Ymir and I’m gonna be able to control her it looks like!! I just have to make my dialogue rounds. I’m also taking some extra time at the item shop right now to beef some quartz and accessories since y’all brought it up. I will try to be more aware of this stuff going forward.

pretty big progress day!

On 10/24/2020 at 3:19 PM, Briar King said:

Been grinding for Mira and U material to buy and upgrade accessories. It would be nice if I could get Rean to actually cook that dish that lands a profit but I can’t get him to do so...

You want to cook the Salty Onigiri recipe using Elise, Claire, or Emma to make the Tri-colored Onigiri, which you sell for a profit. You can go to Ymir Valley, pick which party members to bring along, and cook the food there.

Edited by Val the Moofia Boss

I heard there is a limited edition coming later...what will I be missing non spoiler wise from that that I’m not getting on this digital deluxe tomorrow?

*not that I have the internet to gain access to final download anyway right now. Phew I’m happy I ain’t near the end of 3 right now.