Trails of Cold Steel (and the Kiseki series in general)

Zurvanight

This festival wearing me down lol. I’ve got all dialogue done up to right before my

2nd ticket to spend. I’m really hoping it doesn’t totally reset even though I know it will and I ll have to spend another hour running around doing it all over again.

and I’m kinda pissed because for some reason I don’t know why since this is PS4 it’s really glitchy now.. this game is way to simple to be taxing a PS4.

I swear that every person who ever plays Trails has technical difficulties with one game and it never comes up ever again. For me, it was CS2 (it just didn't load in models in cutscenes for no reason until I reloaded it was so weird). I've seen people go out of bounds while using the turbo in just a single game, only one game crashing a million times (someone legit dropped one of the games because it crashed at the final boss), its such a weird phenomenon that has been so consistent

8 hours ago, Briar King said:

Only doing when I’m outside and confetti is falling. Just makes no sense since the game so far behind the tech it’s playing on..

The game had legit issues in certain areas on its original (PS3) release, which was Falcom's first game using the engine you're currently playing and the first made for that console. Just because you're playing the game on a PS4 doesn't guarantee that you won't have any issues. A new console generation is not 'the old generation but better' in terms of physical architecture and programming; they tend to be different enough that a lot of work has to be done to make ports function properly.

If you're familiar with Kingdom Hearts at all, I'd point you to the HD port collections which introduced glitches not in the original games and slowdown in some instances despite being on newer hardware, much newer in the case of the PS4 ports that were running PS2/PSP games. Or Final Fantasy Tactics' PSP port which featured godawful slowdown when using most abilities. It had nothing to do with the hardware the game was being run on and everything to do with a mistake made in the porting process that wasn't properly addressed.

So yeah, this sort of thing happens.

I suspect I know the answer but it is there a Cold Steel that cuts down here on the dialogue blast even just a tad? 

i turned on twice now before 4pm session just to get through the noon time reset and I still didn’t get done. Sigh. Going back now it’s normal game time.. want to be done already but I get burnt with all the talking and turn off after a few.

Technically Trails in the Sky The 3rd cuts down on it, but that's only because of things going on in the game itself which you won't see anywhere else. NPC dialogue makes up a substantial chunk of text and has since the franchise began. This is a very wordy series. :D

Jeez just moved from noon to evening and reset everything again at festival. Turned off after 26 minutes. Ugh I just haven’t been quite as keen on the game since that Kylo disaster set me back. I imagined a huge power play through. That is in question now.

1 hour ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Well he said Cold Steel. 3rd is really the only exception because you're in a place with no NPCs the whole game. 

Yeah, I just wanted to emphasize that it isn't just a CS thing but a franchise-wide fact of life.

1 hour ago, Briar King said:

Jeez just moved from noon to evening and reset everything again at festival. Turned off after 26 minutes. Ugh I just haven’t been quite as keen on the game since that Kylo disaster set me back. I imagined a huge power play through. That is in question now.

My reaction

I have one thing left to cook and I have used every single member multiple times. It’s the number 4 item of custard pudding... so I’m kinda stumped and I sure ain’t gonna look it up. I learned the hard way not to do this on Xenoblade 1.

Edited by Briar King

To avoid spoilers. I got a huge bomb on xenoblade thrown at me when I was more then halfway done and it was a doozy that wrecked something. I shall not look up game info. 

and I can’t figure it out, as I said I’m kinda stumped cause I ve used everyone and still can’t get the thing to pop up. I’d like to get it done before I push on past festival day 1 to turn recipes in.

If you just want the answer so you can move on:

Spoiler

Elliot.

A simple trick when trying to get a particular result is to look at the icon by the character's portrait. The ones with the biggest smiles are potential candidates for the unique recipe (which cuts down on the number of characters you need to test) and the less happy they look the better your odds are of getting the peculiar recipes on the other end of the scale.

Edited by Weltall

Seem to be at the last stages of CS1. Will push onward in this new area at 4pm. I got on way earlier and spent about an hr reading all the book chapters I had stock piled. I like The Elder Scrolls books much much more. These were kinda basic seen it coming tales. Only thing I really got any kinda of “oh snap” on was I was directly in one the highlighted areas at one time this game.

The Trails books are relevant to story things generally. Almost every Trails book, at least prior to 3, is related somehow to story things or likely will relate to story things in the future. For example, the first book in the series, Carnelia, introduces both Toval and his partner Ein, well before they're actually both important. CS1 is the first time we've seen Toval in person, but he was introduced in the first book series we have. Red Moon Rose, this games book, also happens to be incredibly important.

Toval's first appearance was actually in the Ring of Judgment manga (released shortly before Zero no Kiseki and serving as a quasi-prequel) and gets referred back to by him on several occasions in the Cold Steel games and the CS2 drama cd.

But yeah, like you said every novel series we've seen is either known to be significant or is almost certainly strongly significant and we just haven't gotten the payoff yet. Hello there Gambler Jack, I wonder if we'll be meeting you in Calvard... and while there's sometimes a big delay between novel and payoff, sometimes it happens really quickly like in the case of the CS4 novel. And it's not just the main novels that are potentially important either. @Briar King if you haven't done so already, you really want to go through the Erebonian Folklore texts. You might notice just how many things you've seen in CS1 are mentioned there. :D

It did, yeah. Then it got a sequel and given all the teasing of who the likely protagonist group in Calvard is gonna be, the ending of the followup pretty much screams 'Jack and Halle will return in: The Calvard Arc'. xD

Speaking of which, given the vibe I got from those novels, I really want that arc to have a 'Jazzpunk Noir' atmosphere to it.

Edited by Weltall

I should note before you go into 2. A lot of events happening in Azure, the second game of the Crossbell duology, are referenced as a result of the two games happening concurrently and they won't make much sense without playing it. If something is referenced to be going on in Crossbell, then odds are its related to those games. Also the epilogue will mean a lot less if you haven't played Crossbell.

Edited by aneonfoxtribute