Is the tech to create a real life ruler possible?

Kelsier Mistblessed

I have come to the conclusion that we are on the brink of technological breakthrough, where it is possible someone as invisible as the Lord ruler. The other powers may also be acquired (like strong field paramagnetic equipment). Anyways the basic powers for invisibility are of two components, no aging and near instantaneous healing. 

Instantaneous healing can be achieved by nanobotic immunity. A group of nanobots programmed to certain tasks such as 3d print cells of the body, immune cells, muscle cells. These nanobots are going to be floating around in the blood stream, the blood viscosity may be troublesome but manageable. A spear pierced right through the chest, the nanobots seal the wound instantaneously. I pull it out, the aorta is sealed shut brand new. 

Aging can be checked by gene modification. Nature already has the solution. NAKED MOLE RATS don't die of aging or cancer. Their gees can be forced expressed nd isolated and an the gene can be injected by various means. 

So, we are ready to hit the technological satisfaction. The end (for at least a thousand years I believe). 

PS Sorry for the long post, but I am a nerd in college and started reading the books. Being a medical student I came to my view scientifically. I didn't know where to post but accept this as an introduction post. 

nanotec is still in its infancy in many ways.  We actually do have some but it is not nearly as good as it would need to be.  Also powering the bots in the manner you suggest sounds extraordinarily difficult and they would run out of power fairly eventually even given a good power source(meaning you could just run down your LR). 

In other news welcome to the shard!

17 minutes ago, Invocation said:

You wouldn't be able to see, then. Little bit of an issue there.

12 minutes ago, Karger said:

Raises eyebrows.

I realise that that would cause a bit of concern but I'm not gonna explain. I'd just quite happily run around gain secrets!

While I do see were we are researching many ways to prolong a humans life span indefinitely, I doubt we would be able to become truly Invincible or Immortal. (assuming this is the word your mean when saying invisible) 

From what we see even if we can restore the negative effects from mistakes in cell replication that we see as resulting from the loss of Telomeres, we still have a problem with Memory.

From what we have observed the human brain can only store so much information and retrieve it reliably. If correcting copy mistakes helps our brains function better there is still only so much room to store new info. (please don't believe Hollywood's incorrect insistence we only use 10% of our brain, its just plain outdated bollocks that they like to refer to again and again)

Even if you believe like I do that Thought and Memory are stored in a Spiritual way and the brain only reacts to what our Spirit feels or remembers we still run into issues with what you brain can store as far as Physical memory. (not to mention we dont know the limits of the soul/spirit to know how much it can store nor is it easy to test scientifically something Immaterial) 

some have proposed we can upload our Consciousness to a computer so we keep our memories and continue to "live on" in cyberspace but thats hardly like the Lord Ruler and I fear it would best case only be like cloning your current mind while the real you dies. 

as far as being Invincible we cannot replicate a healing factor as proposed in Mistborn or X-men for example. Both show regrowing new tissue or matter magically  when we only have a limited amount of physical resources in our body at any one time. after running out of fat reserves you will stop healing.

even if we say you can have a super metabolism and you can continue eat and replenish your bodies resources that a super regenerative factor would need we would still run into issues of taking mortal damage that cannot be healed or being away from food to eat or causing damage faster than can be healed.

Even with Nanobots in the blood stream we still would run into issues with limited resources.

so in the end no matter what enhances we can do to alter or "improve" the body we are still limited beings that cannot reach the Lord Rulers level in terms of being able to survive nearly everything.

food for thought though :) 

28 minutes ago, Deathwielded said:

From what we see even if we can restore the negative effects from mistakes in cell replication that we see as resulting from the loss of Telomeres, we still have a problem with Memory.

Depends what you mean?  Humans tend to forget most of what happens to them because it is not useful(who cares what you had for breakfast three months ago).  An individual who lives longer will likely forget more of the small stuff but I don't think that matters.

27 minutes ago, Aluminum said:

Not if you made your eyes visible. After all, eyes must be visible in order to catch the light. 

1 cookie if you got that reference

Yes you make your eyes visible but that presents the same issues the shimmercloaks do: they're visible! A floating pair of eyes and optic nerves are something people would notice! Why do you think they all had to keep their heads down?

Spoiler

I hope you were actually referencing Lightbringer here or else that is going to make no sense whatsoever.

Edited by Invocation

Yeah, I'm nopeing this idea. In addition to the aforementioned issues of storing all the mass necessary for regeneration, you're also going to have issues with compatibility with 3d printed organs, and unless they're somehow made of the person's own cells, which presents issues in and of itself. Even then, the density of the nanobots you'd have to have would end up displacing the blood in the body and couldn't be sustainable. While I think extending the lifespan and counteracting cancer is potentially possible, I see regeneration as too complicated to ever be practical. As for memory, I actually disagree on the human brain having observed limits to storage. We've never actually seen a "full" brain, and I think trying to compare the brain's information storage to a computer is an oversimplification. We don't actually know how the brain works. That said, I do believe mental issues would form overtime as merely replacing damaged brain cells would not restore their previous connections and memories.

• Chaos locked this topic