Investiture and Nightblood

That Violin Guy

I have only read SA, MB (Book 1), and WB so I don't really know about etlantris sorry. Here goes the theory. 

Scadral has metals that deal in investiture, Roshar has stormlight, and Nithis has breath. 

Nightblood feeds on forms of investiture. We have seen Nightblood feed on stormlight ad breath, we have not however seen him feed on metal. What metal would Nightblood eat? 

I will list the metals I know of and say why or why not I think he would feed on them. 

1. Tin- I do not think that Nightblood would feed on this, it would not give him the "kick he needs"

2. Pewter- Nightblood might fed on this, this might be converted to strength for both the holder and make Nightblood stronger himself.

3. Iron- Push good away 

4. steel- Pull evil closer

5. Zinc- Creates strong emotion to destroy evil

6. Brass- Suppresses good in people

7. Copper- hides good

8. Bronze- finds evil

9. Gold- Sees if people could have become evil

10. Atuim- See's if people would become evil. 

I don't know any other metal's so please tell me what Nightblood would do if he burned the others that I'm sure there are. 

Also please talk about edlantris as well

Edited by Oduim's Chmapion

You miiiight want to finish reading the Mistborn series before discussing something like this because it's pretty difficult to talk about why your idea doesn't actually make sense without going into details from The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages.

Spoiler

None of the metals you've listed except atium are themselves Invested so Nightblood can't do anything with them. They're 'keys' which shape Preservation's Investiture and make it do specific things. If Nightblood could somehow use the metals allomantically, he wouldn't care what the metal's effects are since he'd just be using them to get access to the source that is Preservation's power.

As far as Elantris goes, this has been asked before. Suffice it to say, trying to 'feed' Nightblood with an Aon wouldn't end well.

4 minutes ago, Weltall said:

You miiiight want to finish reading the Mistborn series before discussing something like this because it's pretty difficult to talk about why your idea doesn't actually make sense without going into details from The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages.

Hide contents

None of the metals you've listed except atium are themselves Invested so Nightblood can't do anything with them. They're 'keys' which shape Preservation's Investiture and make it do specific things. If Nightblood could somehow use the metals allomantically, he wouldn't care what the metal's effects are since he'd just be using them to get access to the source that is Preservation's power.

As far as Elantris goes, this has been asked before. Suffice it to say, trying to 'feed' Nightblood with an Aon wouldn't end well.

Ok thanks sorry for posting about something that I am so sorly needing more work on.

1 minute ago, MountainKing said:

Question:

If we somehow gave Nightblood allomantic powers, once he started burning could he keep draining even after runnig out of metal because of his other properties.

Oooh, Cool but Weird thought.  So far Id say no, he seems to be more of a black hole of Investiture, and I dont think he can emit it to power other abilities.  Basically I think his investiture is all preconficgured and spoken for (like say some random lightweaver's illusion) and cant be reclaimed back to an static form.

Once the 'gate' he's drawing Investiture from is gone he wouldn't be able to feed on it. We know he'd destroy an Aon if you tried powering him that way and would be cut off from the Dor as soon as it was gone so the same would apply to allomantic metals or to other similar ways of getting at Investiture like a Soulstamp.

First off, Brandon has confirmed that if a mistborn/misting is actively burning metals, then Nightblood can feed off of those metals, (see https://wob.coppermind.net/events/390-stuttgart-signing/#e12749). However, he only cares that about investiture, so I don't think that the type of metal isn't going to really matter.

Second, Nightblood feels closer to a spren to me than a human, so it's probably going to be near impossible to give him any kind of powers that he doesn't already have. It is an interesting concept though.

Edited by TheBeast22846

14 hours ago, TheBeast22846 said:

First off, Brandon has confirmed that if a mistborn/misting is actively burning metals, then Nightblood can feed off of those metals, (see https://wob.coppermind.net/events/390-stuttgart-signing/#e12749). However, he only cares that about investiture, so I don't think that the type of metal isn't going to really matter. 

That is not what the WoB says; it says that you can feed Nightblood directly if you are burning metal, not that he feeds directly on the metal. 

This distinction matters because (as @Weltall pointed out), in Allomancy, it’s not the metals themselves that provide the power. Burning the metals opens a gateway to Preservation’s Investiture in the Spiritual Realm, which is what is actually powers Allomancy (the Coppermind has a good description). However, once your metals run out (or you stop burning) and that gateway closes, then Nightblood would start to feed on you directly. 

Brandon Sanderson(paraphrased)

Nightblood can feed off of any source of Investiture. If you're a Mistborn, burning a metal while wielding Nightblood would directly feed him. So you stay alive for as long as you have metal left.

Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

So I was talking with my little bro and came up with an idea. 

What if Nightblood was more within the Spiritual Realm (SR) than any other. 

Like when Nightblood cannot remember killing Shashara and other events. 
Kinda like when he was created he experienced everything he has ever lived from creation to ending, 
yet because he is constantly stuck in the present yet wholly resides in the SR he forgets where his at timewise. 

Its like the article i read earlier today which most likely lead to this theory...

Teenager’s memory resets every two hours after traumatic kick to the head

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/teenagers-memory-resets-every-two-hours-after-traumatic-kick-to-the-head/news-story/71f93a4a2d8a1c5def2ba48089f44130

This is how i think of Nightblood within this current theory, mostly in the SP yet residing in the Physical Realm by force of Awakening.

• Chaos locked this topic