burning atium

stormbourne

Lerasium is the metal anyone can burn, it's not a universal trait of godmetals. Any non-Scadrian godmetal can't be burned at all unless the Shard does something to make it work and/or the person trying to burn it is a mistborn with the right Connection to that Shard.

Edited by Weltall

1 hour ago, Dancer said:

Only Mistborn and Atium mistings can burn Atium. 

Are you sure? There's a WoB that seems to imply otherwise...

/r/books AMA 2015 (Aug. 13, 2015)
#5Aug. 13, 2015 

SageOfTheWise

In allomancy, normal metals are simply a tool that channels allomancers already existing connection to the power of preservation, which is why non allomancers don't get powers from digesting metal. But if I understand it correctly, god metals are an exception, since they are a form of a shards power, burning them directly uses the power stored within.

If I have this right, how come a normal person can burn Lerasium, but not Atium? Or could they, and no ones thought to try? But if that was true why are there Atium mistings?

Brandon Sanderson

Suffice it to say that what people both in the books and out think about the god metals has some holes in it.

So, the truth about this is probably a little more complicated than we think.

Questioner

If someone isn’t an Allomancer, could they burn atium? Since it’s…

Brandon Sanderson

They could not burn atium. They would have figured that one out.

Questioner

So nothing would have happened, or?

Brandon Sanderson

No. But there’s a little more to that story, but I’m not going to get into it right now.

Shadows of Self Chicago signing (Oct. 12, 2015)

I'm sure, over the years, the Inquisitors at least, would have tried burning atium without a spike and so forth.

Edited by RShara

• Chaos locked this topic