[Theory] Skybreaker logic

Kaladin-Stormblessed

So I was thinking about this.
When the false desolation occurs, it is possible that Nale was mad enough at this point to not recognize that an Unmade was the reason that the Parshendi were getting forms of power (after all, this was the first time, an Unmade was responsible for this). He might have considered it to be another desolation. Shortly after this, the Radiants gave up their shards (The Recreance) and then there was a prolonged period without any desolation until the events of Oathbringer.
Perhaps by Nale's insane logic, he felt the absence of Radiants meant that the real cycle of desolation was broken. This could be the reason why he started hunting down Radiants to prevent them from growing in number again.
Does this theory make any sense or are there holes in my logic?

Does that line of thinking make sense?

2 hours ago, Kaladin-Stormblessed said:
Perhaps by Nale's insane logic, he felt the absence of Radiants meant that the real cycle of desolation was broken. This could be the reason why he started hunting down Radiants to prevent them from growing in number again.
Does this theory make any sense or are there holes in my logic?

He seems to be hunting Radiants at Ishar's instance that it will work pretty much as you say it will.  At least according to what he tells Szeth and Lift(as well as what the Ghoostbloods say about him).

1 hour ago, Gderu said:

I don't think the heralds are that kind of mad. They all seem to have incorrect motives, but they use logic correctly from what I've seen.

What about Ash?  She destroys art to try and destroy Heraldic worship.

14 minutes ago, Karger said:

What about Ash?  She destroys art to try and destroy Heraldic worship

Also, Taln. He is locked in a Rosharan madhouse because he's unable to interact with people (end of Oathbringer being the obvious exception).

I think it is entirely possible that one or more of the Heralds could have been confused by the events of the False Desolation. We know that some of the Heralds have maintained contact with each other but there is no indication that they all meet regularly or stay up to date on the goings on of Roshar.

12 hours ago, Karger said:

He seems to be hunting Radiants at Ishar's instance that it will work pretty much as you say it will.  At least according to what he tells Szeth and Lift(as well as what the Ghoostbloods say about him).

Agreed that he seems to be hunting Radiants at Ishar's insistence. That brings up the question of Ishar's sanity though.

After all, he was the one who came up with the Oathpact and the idea that one of them could stay behind to maintain the pact while the others didn't go back. Could that have possibly meant that Ishar is more broken than the rest of them. Perhaps Ash and Nale are in denial of Ishar being mad as they always saw him as the wise one.

Furthermore, I feel that there is a reason behind Nale/The Skybreaker's fifth ideal being about them becoming the law of the land. I feel that a lot of it has to do with the fact that Nale and the Skybreakers are such a rule followers. I figure Nale to be the type of person who is a good soldier, following Ishar's word as law as he trusts him to be the wise one (We see Szeth doing the same regarding Dalinar).

Perhaps the reason the fifth ideal is as such is because the Skybreakers are meant to break away from the rules, recognize that it is important for one to figure out your own moral choices and what you deem to be the rightful good. In Nale's case, he did come to the conclusion that he is the law, he possibly came around to agreeing with the mad Ishar's belief but it was never said that the fifth ideal meant that the Skybreaker would close the moral right, it was just said that they would choose what they think is right and consider that to be the law.

---

Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken, this is just my understanding of the situation and I may be wrong. Hence I would love to have this discussion :)

7 hours ago, Kaladin-Stormblessed said:

Perhaps the reason the fifth ideal is as such is because the Skybreakers are meant to break away from the rules, recognize that it is important for one to figure out your own moral choices and what you deem to be the rightful good. In Nale's case, he did come to the conclusion that he is the law, he possibly came around to agreeing with the mad Ishar's belief but it was never said that the fifth ideal meant that the Skybreaker would close the moral right, it was just said that they would choose what they think is right and consider that to be the law.

The ideal of law reminds me of the zeroth law of robotics from Asimove's I-Robot series.

• Chaos locked this topic