Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dancer

Scadriun magic

5 posts in this topic

So I saw this interesting WOB when I was scrolling though the Arcanum. You know, as you do. I turns out that my impression on Feruchemy being a hybrid of Ruin and Preservation might not actually be true. 

#18 Share  Copy
Play/Pause

Questioner

What is Feruchemy, is it tied to any Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Feruchemy, is it tied to any Shard in specific? Yes, they talk about that in the books.

Questioner

Ok, it's like, of Preservation?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, you could say that.

Brandon Sanderson

Because it seems like one Shard, one magic system?

Brandon Sanderson

Here's the thing, it's more that-- They, in their philosophy, say that it's kind of a hybrid between the two, but you could kind of feel that it's more--

Questioner

It seems more Preservation.

Brandon Sanderson

It seems more Preservation, but in-world they think it's kind of a hybrid. The philosophy says that one was kind of net-positive, one was kind of net-negative and one was a hybrid. That's their in-world philosophy. I personally would place it more with Preservation.

Questioner

Ok so more than one magic system can be tied to one Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. 

Questioner

Ok, that's what I wanted to know.

Brandon Sanderson

Here's the thing, the definition of magic system can be, is so fluid. Like you can look at this book and say "how many magic systems are there?". Is Surgebinding one or is it ten?

Questioner

Allomancy's 16--

Brandon Sanderson

Is Allomancy 16 or one, and things like that. So yes multiple magic systems can be tied to a Shard.

4 hours ago, Dancer said:

It seems more Preservation

4 hours ago, Dancer said:

I personally would place it more with Preservation.

I wouldn't say it's completely not a hybrid of Ruin and Preservations, but it does lean more towards Preservation.

I view it as a hybrid but more of Preservation than Ruin. In the same way that Scadrian humans are more of Preservation than they are of Ruin

I would think it is a lot more Preservation since it preserves traits for later. I think it loses some power overall when pulled out in excess (maybe?) which could account for Ruin but it does seem more Preservation centered.

That WoB is over four years old, Brandon has been much more explicit about how feruchemy is indeed a system resulting from the interaction between Preservation and Ruin in the meantime, though he also said as much beforehand. For example, he's quite clear here that it was both Shards and no third party was involved:

Questioner

With Allomancy is of Preservation, and you have Hemalurgy, which is of Ruin. Is Feruchemy a joint effort between the two? Or is it a third party?

Brandon Sanderson

Joint effort.

FanX 2018 (Sept. 8, 2018)

Brandon does hint that Preservation had more of a role in its development (directly or indirectly) but of course he doesn't provide details.

Edited by Weltall