Awakening liquids

Dancer

We all know that you can practically awaken anything as long as you have enough breaths and have some color around you so, my question is this can an awakener, awaken liquids. If they were to say drain a lot of people of their blood and then command that blood to kill (named) target would they be able to do it. If they can then it would be a practically unstoppable enemy. You wouldn't be able to cut it, crush it hide from it or anything else. It would just find you and suffocate you to death and you wouldn't be able to get it off you. The only thing I can see working is if you vaporize it with enough heat, freeze it or absorb it into something like rice (the last point i would think is only a temporary measure).

Edit: Looks like I am not the first to think about this what a surprise

#1 Share  Copy
Play/Pause
Play/Pause

clyguy

Someone else brought up the point, can blood be Awakened?

Brandon Sanderson

Anything can be Awakened.

clyguy

If you make a human-shaped mold and you poured blood into it and you Awakened it, would you have a Terminator T-1000 style blood-golem that could recombine?

Brandon Sanderson

Um, heh, well Awakening liquid is possible but I don't think it would work the way you want it to.

Questioner 2

If you had enough of a cloud in one place, could you Awaken a cloud?

Brandon Sanderson

Um, you could Awaken anything. It's probably not going to work the way you want it to. There is a reason why they Awaken the things that they do. For instance if you want to make a transforming golem, you would be much better off with something thicker.

Edited by Dancer

19 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

So if blood is too thin to awaken into a shapeshifting golem, then use honey :P

i mean, it is ridiculously viscous... I have a feeling it would try and take on a serpent-like form to account for the fluidity of its material.

I recommend rubber.

34 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

i mean, it is ridiculously viscous... I have a feeling it would try and take on a serpent-like form to account for the fluidity of its material.

ya honey sounds like a good choice. So long as there are bees on your shardworld then it shouldn't bee that hard to procure unlike the vast amount of blood you would need if you went with my idea.  

Just now, Dancer said:

ya honey sounds like a good choice. So long as there are bees on your shardworld then it shouldn't bee that hard to procure unlike the vast amount of blood you would need if you went with my idea.  

Imagine if you used honey from the nectar of the Tears of Edgli, as well! That's an interesting thought... Honey is already ridiculously healthy, and aren't the flowers the physical manifestation of Endowment's Investiture? Hmmm...

1 hour ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Imagine if you used honey from the nectar of the Tears of Edgli, as well! That's an interesting thought... Honey is already ridiculously healthy, and aren't the flowers the physical manifestation of Endowment's Investiture? Hmmm...

If you have enough breath to awaken then any health benefits from the nectar of the Tears of Edgli would be negligible.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 0:51 AM, Halyo_Alex said:

The problem with making a golem out of food is that it can be eaten. At what point would an Awakened mass of honey, whatever its form, cease to be Awakened, if it was rapidly spread on corn cakes and consumed?

In fact, technically, even a Lifeless human or squirrel could also be eaten. Bleargh. Does the largest segment retain the Breath and the Command, or is it simply diluted or even replicated?

And if you could Awaken a mass of liquid and someone drank it... What then? Especially if the Command was something attacking?

Now I'm picturing something like this:

Edited by robardin

1 minute ago, robardin said:

The problem with making a golem out of food is that it can be eaten. At what point would an Awakened mass of honey, whatever its form, cease to be Awakened, if it was rapidly spread on corn cakes and consumed?

In fact, technically, even a Lifeless human or squirrel could also be eaten. Bleargh. Does the largest segment retain the Breath and the Command, or is it simply diluted or even replicated?

Per a WOB that I cannot for th life of me find at the moment, food items can be Awakened without additional difficulty, but if the object is then eaten the Investiture that was in the Breaths is returned to Endowment.  Same as what happens when a person dies with Breath(s) still in them.

• 2 weeks later...