Israel ICon 2019, Tel Aviv

AviH

I hope I'm doing this right:D

So Brandon will be the guest of honor at Israeli 2019 ICon in Tel Aviv in October. Here is the relevant schedule:

Tuesday, October 15th
18:00: Lecture by Brandon, subjcet unclear

Wednesday, October 16th
12:00: Tools for writers - how a story is built
16:00: Book signing
20:00: A panel with Brandon concerning magical metals

Thursday, October 17th
10:00: Book signing
14:00: Writing workshop with Brandon (15 places only!)
16:00: Q&A with Brandon

The convention will take place at the Tel Aviv Cinematheque at 4, H'Arb'a st, Tel Aviv.

Here is a link to ICon's website, it is all in Hebrew though: https://newprogram.icon.org.il/icon2019/

I honestly don't know if this post will be relevant to anyone but I figured I'd put it up here.

Regarding WoB collection, I am planning to get there and try to record as much as possible. If there are any guidelines or additional information about recording for the Arcanum etc. it will be very helpful if someone can point it out to me, PM will work I guess...

4 hours ago, AviH said:

Regarding WoB collection, I am planning to get there and try to record as much as possible. If there are any guidelines or additional information about recording for the Arcanum etc. it will be very helpful if someone can point it out to me, PM will work I guess...

Thanks for posting this and volunteering to record.  More information about signings and the recording process can be found here:

5 hours ago, AviH said:

Here's where you'll be able to upload audio files, once you've recorded them: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/395-icon-2019/

Signing lines tend to run long, so make sure you've got plenty of battery life in whatever you're using to record! Panels are nice to get, if possible; I suspect the Tuesday lecture and the Thursday Q&A would be most worth recording as well, with potential for updates/readings/juicy bits. 

3 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Here's where you'll be able to upload audio files, once you've recorded them: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/395-icon-2019/

Signing lines tend to run long, so make sure you've got plenty of battery life in whatever you're using to record! Panels are nice to get, if possible; I suspect the Tuesday lecture and the Thursday Q&A would be most worth recording as well, with potential for updates/readings/juicy bits. 

12 minutes ago, Scion of the Mists said:

Thanks for posting this and volunteering to record.  More information about signings and the recording process can be found here:

Thanks so much!

We also have a small somewhat organized fandom here in Israel so we will definitely do our best to record as much as possible.

• 1 month later...

So, I'll upload the audio later, but we got a longer reading of the prologue (Sanderson said it's around two thirds of the chapter) and in it we finally had confirmation that the short dude hanging with Nale at the party is Kalak! We also got an adaptation update where he said that they're considering making SA/Mistborn to a Castlevania style animated show

(This is not from a signing event. Those will happen later this week. This was just from panel with him)

Edit: I've just uploaded the audio, so here are some time stamps:

00:51 - first Q&A question
00:57 - Second Q&A question
01:03 - Final Q&A question. He starts answering about the other film rights around 01:08
01:11 Prologue reading. New part starts around 01:25

Edited by Storming Radiant

So Kalak wants out of Roshar, presumably because he thinks his leaving will get him out of the Oathpact.

Nale is listening, but basically tells Galivar, 'nah you're gonna be dead soon.'  Which could mean he was leading Gavilar on until he had confirmation of something and then arraigned the assassination, or that he somehow knew of the assassination attempt and just now determined he's not going to stop it.

I'd guess the thing brought back and forth from Braize are the black spheres, which Kalak and Nale would have thought impossible because of the Oathpact.  But now that they were moved from the place they were 'bound,' Kalak sees it as proof positive that he can get away.

1 hour ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

I'd guess the thing brought back and forth from Braize are the black spheres, which Kalak and Nale would have thought impossible because of the Oathpact.  But now that they were moved from the place they were 'bound,' Kalak sees it as proof positive that he can get away.

This is also proof of his general cowardice because of him leaving the Oathpact. 

Two questions I've asked Brandon but unfortunately I didn't record:

1)

Questioner: What would happen if an Elantrian burned or flared aluminium? Would they become Reod or a normal person? Or something else?

Brandon: Like if they got allomantic powers?

Questioner: Yeah, like a Lerasium bid or something.

Brandon: ok yeah, ahmmm I'm gonna say RAFO, I knew this one was coming.

2)

Questioner: Since the gemstones on shardblades seems to be infused with Stormlight, could a surgebinder draw that Stormlight and use it?

Brandon: No he couldn't. You see, that Stormlight is the shardbearer's life energy, you wouldn't be able to draw it just like I can't draw your life energy from you. If you were to extract that gemstone from the shardblade it is possible.

Questioner: But then the gemstone would go dark.

Brandon: Exactly.

(Paraphrased)

So, got a few questions asked now at the signing, writing Immediately so i dont forget:

Q1: I noticed most of the unmade have a middle eastern mythology inspiration, and could pair them with deities but couldn't find a fit for 2: Yelig-nar and Ba-Ado-Mishram. Could you tell us their names origin? 

A1: Those two are actully not mid-eastern but actully inspired by lovecraft. 

Q2a: If an individual has a mental sickness, such as multiple personalities, can that affect a shardes intent if picked up by him or her? 

A2a: yes, that is possible. 

Q2b: Is it possible that Autonomy is ome such, and has multiple personalities? 

Q2b: RAFO

Q3: Can a shardeblade cut a drab, or just ita soul? As they are only half alive.. 

A3: A shardeblade would cut the soul, killing the drab. 

I have to say that looking through the Aecanum, i see a wob that contradicts Q3, so i wonder (there he said its half half to cut spul or body). 

So I asked Brandon a WoB during his way to somewhere so there's no recording (and the qoute won't be 100% but very close)  but here it is:

Q: Can you awaken a complex mechanism in a way that it will work by itself? 

A: I didn't understand the question. 

Q: Like awakening a gun so it'll shoot by itself. 

A: It's very hard since you need lots of breath but theoretically it's possible. 

Another question asked mid walking - not by me but was asked to upload in her name.

Was asked in Hebrew, translated as best I can

Q: If I were to cut an Elantriens head off, would it still live? Just the head, the body, both or perhaps neither of them?

A: The body would grow a new head, as most of the soul is in that part.

I didn't record the question i asked him during the Icon signing on wednesday october 16th, but i remember it quite well.

Q: Which part of the two in Dalinar's oath in the end of book three- y'know, "I will take responsibility [...] If i must fall i will rise each time a better man"- would you say encompasses the third ideal of the bondsmiths best? the neutral version of it, what would it be?

A: (he thought a bit, hummed) It would be about the second part, mainly about getting better- I will rise each time a better man.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all! 

Hope i chose the right subforum topost this - During the Icon convention in Israel we had the pleasure to hear and meet the man himself, and now - so could you!

All events with BranSan have been recorded and have now been published in the offical site (Phanton VOD), I'll try to edit and add descriptions later:

1. A memory of metal - panel. 
https://tinyurl.com/w8xhl9v

2. Tools for writers: how to build a story - writing workshop. 
https://tinyurl.com/w9pm3l6

3. Q&A session.
https://tinyurl.com/vcw5sgq

4. Fantasy 2019.
https://tinyurl.com/rx2ynkd

Have fun:)