Marsh's life

Hoidwillsaveus

Ok y'all this is just complete throwing ideas out there. I wanna hear what you think. What do we think has happened to Marsh over the 300 years he's been alive. Has he world hopped? Joined the 17th Shard? Is he helping Kelsier? We know that he wouldn't have been accepted being a leftover inquisitor. Would he have tried to move on to other planets in the Cosmere. If there is anyone who could figure out world hopping and the cognitive realm it would have to be Marsh right? I mean could you imagine Marsh meeting up with Vasher or Hoid? How entertaining would that be? 

I posted this here instead of mistborn due to the questions about worldhopping and those characters. I don't want to spoil that for others.

Can one of yall awesome admin's delete one of these. Double posted on accident due to bad mobile connection 

Edited by Hoidwillsaveus

22 minutes ago, Hoidwillsaveus said:

Has he world hopped

Don't think so.  He did not even know about the southerners until recently if I remember my WoBs

23 minutes ago, Hoidwillsaveus said:

Joined the 17th Shard?

Same as above.

23 minutes ago, Hoidwillsaveus said:

Is he helping Kelsier

He approves of Wax "doing his brother's work."

Questioner

Is Marsh a worldhopper? Can he worldhop? Does he have the ability?

Brandon Sanderson

Ah, yes, yes.

Questioner

Will we ever see him do anything on the other worlds?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a RAFO. There's your card. But yes, no his Investiture would not prevent him from going offworld.

Salt Lake City ComicCon 2017 (Sept. 23, 2017)

Seems that is a Worldhoper!!!

A Worldhopping Marsh presents certain difficulties...

It's one thing for a collection of off-world 17th Sharders to show up at the Purelake looking for Hoid and passing for foreigners from some distant part of Roshar; it's another thing for Marsh to go around with spikes in his eyes and pass for anything other than a monster.

And we haven't seen any Cosmere worlds other than Taldain in White Sand where people wear goggles or dark glasses (and even so, wearing them everywhere, even indoors and at night, would rapidly get suspicious).

I guess he could go around Soothing people all the time of their suspicion, if he carried enough brass.

35 minutes ago, robardin said:

A Worldhopping Marsh presents certain difficulties...

It's one thing for a collection of off-world 17th Sharders to show up at the Purelake looking for Hoid and passing for foreigners from some distant part of Roshar; it's another thing for Marsh to go around with spikes in his eyes and pass for anything other than a monster.

And we haven't seen any Cosmere worlds other than Taldain in White Sand where people wear goggles or dark glasses (and even so, wearing them everywhere, even indoors and at night, would rapidly get suspicious).

I guess he could go around Soothing people all the time of their suspicion, if he carried enough brass.

The old standby is to walk around with a bandage across your eyes, pretend to be blind, and then just try not to react too much as if you can see normally.  Since he doesnt see all that normally, that might not be too hard.  And soothing that sort of suspicion would be a lot easier than forced acceptance of a walking pincushion.

3 minutes ago, Quantus said:

The old standby is to walk around with a bandage across your eyes, pretend to be blind, and then just try not to react too much as if you can see normally.  Since he doesnt see all that normally, that might not be too hard.  And soothing that sort of suspicion would be a lot easier than forced acceptance of a walking pincushion.

The problem with that is the spikes still stick out the back of his head. Unless he constantly wears a hood or hat there is no hiding that fact. Maybe he could ask a Forger to make him a soul stamp that reverts him back to pre Inquisitor days.  

43 minutes ago, Quantus said:

No, the old standby would be to cover the spike heads with cotton balls and then to attach googly eyes. Or to use bisected ping-pong balls with dots drawn on them for a pupil, to the heads of his eye spikes. Or just to paint the spike heads white, and then to add a little black dot in the center of each of them.

As for the pointy tips protruding from the back of his head, maybe a wig or just growing his hair back out would cover that up, like if his natural hair came out big and curly (like an 1970s style Afro, or "Jew-fro"). Per the initial description of a Steel Inquisitor when Marsh and Dox visit the Ministry building to shadow Vin and Camon, they jut out "about an inch". And if he wanted to, I suppose Marsh could file them down to be less dangerous, or put little rubber bungs on them.

I feel like I'm talking about how to baby-proof a Steel Inquisitor now. I think Inquisitors like Marsh are still capable of fathering children, right? What an image!

Edited by robardin

1 minute ago, robardin said:

No, the old standby would be to cover the spike heads with cotton balls and then to attach googly eyes. Or to use bisected ping-pong balls with dots drawn on them for a pupil, to the heads of his eye spikes. Or just to paint the spike heads white, and then to add a little black dot in the center of each of them.

As for the pointy tips protruding from the back of his head, maybe a wig or just growing his hair back out would cover that up. Per the initial description of a Steel Inquisitor when Marsh and Dox visit the Ministry building to shadow Vin and Camon, they jut out "about an inch". And if he wanted to, I suppose Marsh could file them down, or put little rubber bungs on them.

I feel like I'm talking about how to baby-proof a Steel Inquisitor now. I think Inquisitors like Marsh are still capable of fathering children, right? What an image!

We have in fact been led to believe that they can sire children.

I honestly don't know if the spikes in the head would be that hard to hide. I think the ones in his arms would actually present the largest difficulty. He's already got the tattoos and crushed skull to indicate eye damage, so wrapping his eyes in bandages wouldn't really be all that suspicious, and if he needs to act blind he can just stop burning iron and steel for a while. As has been mentioned, the points of the spikes can be hidden behind a hood or hair, or even just tying off the eye bandages in such a way that the points are hidden. As for the spikes in his arms, if they're the same size as the ones in his eyes, they must stick through his forearms for ever an inch. How do you even hide something like that beyond wizard style robes?

I feel like if Inquisitors had children that the children could generally grow accustomed to their parent, but I think the early infancy would be difficult, as I think a baby would find it hard to grow attached to someone without eyes. A big thing though would definitely be wrapping the forearms in blankets before picking up the baby so as to keep them from touching the arm spikes. Curse you, Robardin, for making me think about Inquisitor parenthood.

Marsh seems to be Harmonys errand boy, more or less. I dont think he has been worldhopping, unless Sazed specifically told him to. 

Also, if he does worldhop, he might not need to hide, depending on where he goes and why. Not all worldhoppers try to pose as someone native. Iyatil for example, is not blending in for one second. 

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Marsh seems to be Harmonys errand boy, more or less. I dont think he has been worldhopping, unless Sazed specifically told him to. 

Also, if he does worldhop, he might not need to hide, depending on where he goes and why. Not all worldhoppers try to pose as someone native. Iyatil for example, is not blending in for one second. 

I disagree with that characterization entirely.  Id say Marsh made it pretty clear that he's out there doing things Harmony does not approve of, and only gets away with it because Harmony is committed to his (mostly) Hand-off approach.  

2 hours ago, Quantus said:

I disagree with that characterization entirely.  Id say Marsh made it pretty clear that he's out there doing things Harmony does not approve of, and only gets away with it because Harmony is committed to his (mostly) Hand-off approach.  

I kinda forgot that Marsh said that. My bad. Still, my impression is that he seems to work with Sazed for the most part. 

On 8/30/2019 at 5:44 AM, Kramerfarve said:

Maybe he’s in league with Hoid, and Hoid provides him a constant glamour via a recent development in his magical abilities.

I think Marsh is the Hema-Hoid. Maybe he's gotten some access to something like Lightweaving that can help him blend in.

Questioner

If Hemalurgy can be used to transfer Investiture regardless of the planet, is someone gathering pieces of different Investitures the way Hoid got, for example, the Lerasium bead?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Warsaw signing (March 18, 2017)

• Chaos locked this topic