Saddest Cosmere Moment

Elsecaller_17.5

1) Tien's death for sure.

The Stormlight Archives was the my introduction to the Brandon Sanderson universe. Despite knowing that Tien died, watching Kaladin break down as his men were trying to get to Dalinar and Adolin, watching him remember how wrong it goes for him every. single. time, he tries to do the right/honorable thing, watching his pain as he hears the callous manner in which it is taught to him that the weak are sacrificed so that the stronger can step over their dead bodies and claim high ground in a battle. It was the first time I had read Sanderson's words regarding a sad moment and it broke me

2) Tindwyl's death and Sazed's crisis of faith following that, wondering how could a divine being let bad things happen in the world, it hit a little too close to home

1. When Taln regains some lucidity and Ash is apologizing for all the Heralds betraying and abandoning him. Yet he's like, no it's amazing, we gave them the time they needed. Yeah it's a somewhat happy moment too, but to me that is one of the saddest cosmere moments I read. I may or may not have had tears in works when I read his first coherent words. 

2. When Elend dies after preventing Ruin from gaining the atium and this was made even worse by the fact that Vin had to watch her husband die and could do nothing about it. Then as if that wasn't all enough, Elend is killed by an old friend and former/kind of current ally in Marsh. Elend was always one of my favorite characters and watching him die was brutal. 

Edit: Oops, sorry didn't mean to double post the same comment. 

Edited by Torchwood17

Oh, man, there are so many to choose from. I think the one that consistently hits me, though, would have to be Tien. Everything about him and his death. He just had do much potential, as a budding Lightweaver, and some petty border squabble between lighteyes took that away from him. Plus, Kaladin really needs hook. Watching Kaladin trying to cope with his brother's death just breaks my heart.

Sazed searching for Tindwyl's corpse, too... That was a rough moment. As was the whole situation with Taln. And Lightsong's death. And Evi. And Syl's near demise. And Gawx, before he came back. And Wax's near death, with Wayne's reaction. (I just realised that Sanderson loves to do fake-out deaths. Huh.) And Wayne's backstory, with the way he visits the children. And Eshonai's transformation, then death. Honestly, I could go on. 

Edited by Rushu42

• 2 weeks later...

elhokar's death. it was actually more shock and disbelief and anger and hatred towards Moash 

but on rereads everytime i read elhokars scenes, when he is saying, i will become a better king, i will figure this out, sad sad scenes.

everytime kaladin has a rock in his hand.

renarin's face when he thought that both his father and brother are dead..

there are so many more but these are just.. 

• 4 weeks later...

Alendi's journal, Leras' sacrifice, Ati's fate, Reen's entire life and fate, Kelsier and Mare's past in Hathsin, that random skaa who is killed at the party, the old skaa man, Yeden's and his army's demise, the story behind Spook's name (Lestibournes), Kelsier's death, Dox's death

Elend's death followed immediately by Vin's death took me hard

Lightsong's death

Kaladin's volunteering, Tien's death, WoK prologue guy's fate, the Bridgeruns, Kaladin's entire past and him remembering Tien... 

The Heralds' fate shook me the hardest, especially Taln's response even after all that

Edited by Honorless

17 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Elend's death followed immediately by Vin's death took me hard

Yes i agree, 

also 

vivenna and when she learns about denth and gang, her time on the streets, tyndwyl's death, wax crying that he killed his wife again, Rysn interlude in OB, leras's death, recreance scene is very sad too.

Just now, The traveller said:

Yes i agree, 

also 

vivenna and when she learns about denth and gang, her time on the streets, tyndwyl's death, wax crying that he killed his wife again, Rysn interlude in OB, leras's death, recreance scene is very sad too.

Tindwyl's death was... it was very foreboding when Sazed was going to her gate, also Club's death in front of Breeze

Vivenna's destitution shook me hard too

3 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Vivenna's destitution shook me hard too

Yes and I did not see it coming. But when u read Warbreaker again, there is so much foreshadowing.

It is very ironic that the one sister who is supposed to be hopeless is doing so well and the other sister who is deemed ideal, messes up so much! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic