Stormlight 4 Outline Speculation

Jofwu

On 12/7/2019 at 6:03 PM, Ookla the Prolific said:

Which is this when then can you link it?

Exclusive newsletter

4 hours ago, Honorless said:

Will we get another Rysn interlude? Would we continue to get Rysn interludes after Wandersail, if the novella is written separately?

4 hours ago, The traveller said:

Do you think Rysn will ever become a Radiant?

3 hours ago, Karnage said:

That would be interesting especially with the her larkin, or am I thinking am a different person. Doesn't she get a ship at the end of Oathbringer?

3 hours ago, Honorless said:

She seems like she has a different journey ahead but yeah, it's possible. Most speculate she'll be a Willshaper.

Same person, she's appeared in the interludes of all three books: in Shinovar, in the Reshi Isles and in Thaylenah. Her ship was christened (Almightened?) Wandersail.

3 hours ago, The traveller said:

Yes willshaper sounds about right for her! 

2 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

I think it was in the Starsight Release section of the Arcanum, but Rysn will have an interlude every book of the first part. I don't want to assume the second part either. 

I hope so! And then Chiri-Chiri can grow big enough to ride, and we'll have dragon riders in Stormlight! 

To everyone above regarding Rysn. Brandon has said she will remain an interlude character. Not saying that will mean she won't become a radiant, but any development for her will remain there. Fingers crossed on giant dragon/larkin riding Rysn!

44 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Exclusive newsletter

Alright.  Thanks to @Pagerunner stalking stormlight 4 page which has collected and mentioned all released chapters I can say with a degree of confidence that you are confused.  Brandon has rewritten chapter 1 several timesthe one( you are referencing that has a Lirin PoV) but it is clearly always chapter 1 both in the readings he gives and in the newsletter.

47 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

To everyone above regarding Rysn. Brandon has said she will remain an interlude character. Not saying that will mean she won't become a radiant, but any development for her will remain there. Fingers crossed on giant dragon/larkin riding Rysn!

Agreed we have waited to long for our dragons.

2 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

Alright.  Thanks to @Pagerunner stalking stormlight 4 page which has collected and mentioned all released chapters I can say with a degree of confidence that you are confused.  Brandon has rewritten chapter 1 several timesthe one( you are referencing that has a Lirin PoV) but it is clearly always chapter 1 both in the readings he gives and in the newsletter.

From what I have seen, group 1 involves 5 view points. From what I have seen group one is in part one. From what I have seen chapter one is in part one. From what I have seen Lirin is a viewpoint in chapter 1, part 1, and thereby is a view point in group 1. Not seeing where I am confused. 

14 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

They are in fact the same scene.

And I will re-iterate based on what I originally posted, they are scenes of Chapter 1, Part 1, with Lirin's viewpoint, which would place him to me in Group 1. Still not seeing anything counter to what I put forward in my origin post. 

edit: new addition! With the announcement of the description of Stormlight 4 involving new technological developments, I think it will be thanks to Navani, and since Brandon also said he has enjoyed writing her lately, hints that Navani will be one of the view point characters in the book!

Edited by Pathfinder

Since I've been tagged, here's the thread in question where I've been collecting the tidbits we get from Stormlight Four. 

I don't think Lirin's presence as a viewpoint character in this chapter means he's one of the "main viewpoint" characters. I'll contrast it with Elantris, where Brandon intentionally restricted his viewpoints to three main characters, rotating between them one chapter at a time in "triads." I don't see any indication he's doing this in Stormlight - he's been free to add in POV segments from characters like Cenn, Amaram, and Ash when appropriate, even when those characters don't appear in the high-level "main viewpoint" outline. Lirin's point of view could be in fact function very similar to Cenn's viewpoint, or even the first scene of Mistborn, without necessitation that Lirin will get extensive additional viewpoints.

11 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Since I've been tagged, here's the thread in question where I've been collecting the tidbits we get from Stormlight Four. 

I don't think Lirin's presence as a viewpoint character in this chapter means he's one of the "main viewpoint" characters. I'll contrast it with Elantris, where Brandon intentionally restricted his viewpoints to three main characters, rotating between them one chapter at a time in "triads."

And I will still disagree for the reasons below

I don't see any indication he's doing this in Stormlight - he's been free to add in POV segments from characters like Cenn,

Cenn is a character that was introduced to die. Lirin has an established history and build with Kaladin.

Amaram

Was not included in the first chapter of any book. 

and Ash

Is an established character that is intended to grow in the back series and also was not in the first chapter of any book

when appropriate, even when those characters don't appear in the high-level "main viewpoint" outline. Lirin's point of view could be in fact function very similar to Cenn's viewpoint, or even the first scene of Mistborn, without necessitation that Lirin will get extensive additional viewpoints.

First scene of Mistborn falls within what I said regarding Cenn. Lirin is an established character. Two of the view points in group one are lesser. One doesn't get any viewpoints at all. Those speak of minor characters to add to the narrative at specific points. Lirin is one such character to me. 

Edited by Pathfinder

From what we know so far, the main 5 (Kaladin, Shallan, Dalinar, Venli, and Szeth) are sure to be main viewpoints. Navani should be one as well. That's six out of nine total. Here's how I place them.

Group 1

• Kaladin - yeah
  • Venli - book focus
  • Navani - viewpoints written around the same time this group was being written
  • (Only a few viewpoints) Renarin?
  • (Almost no viewpoints and maybe an interlude) Szeth - protects Navani, and reason for why he isn't the one flying Dalinar

Group 2

• Shallan - Ghostblood assignment
  • Adolin?

Group 3

Interlude through PoV

• Moash - just seems right. No other basis than wanting to see him going around killing heralds.

Other likely PoVs are Adolin, Renarin, Jasnah, Lirin, Lift, and Rlain

I think Lift is less likely because she is going to come out in Arc 2 and does not currently have a strong connection with the others (Except maybe Szeth, but... still).

Rlain was put off at the end of Oathbringer, but I have trouble seeing him being placed as a PoV above the rest of Bridge 4.

Adolin is an extremely likely one because of how much his story has been built up in the previous books, especially with the unresolved point of Maya. I'd put him with Shallan, as they're married, or on the front fighting lines in group 1. Since the only spot I have left in group 1 is a lesser viewpoint, I'll put him in group 2 with Shallan.

Jasnah will be important in the research aspects mentioned on the newly released cover blurb, but I don't expect the queen on the front lines, so I'll put her in group 3.

That leaves Lirin or Renarin for the lesser PoV in group 1. I'm going with Renarin because of the significant parallels he could supply with any Sja-anat stuff in group 2 and because first chapter characters are often just to set the scene/tone.

I like how this layout sets things up. We've got the main monarchs in Urithiru, Adolin and Shallan together, and Szeth sent to protect Navani and Renarin as they help on the main lines.

Edit: I am now much more certain about Jasnah's position group-wise because of the recent Facebook AMA

Edited by ChickenLiberty
New info on Jasnah

6 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

Exactly. So why would the application of other characters necessarily apply?

The same could be said for your arguments.  The fact that Lirin is in the first chapter could be significant or not only Brandon knows the answer. 

12 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

The same could be said for your arguments.  The fact that Lirin is in the first chapter could be significant or not only Brandon knows the answer. 

Yep which is why when I presented my findings, I said based on the evidence I have gathered I think it is reasonable to conclude. Never said my way was the only way. For instance I disagree with @Ookla the Chicken 's rationale for a multitude of my own reasons. Doesn't change their theory is just as valid. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 11:16 AM, Pathfinder said:

So I was about to create a thread about this . I searched for Larkin and this popped up . I was wondering about this as well . Chiri-Chiri seemed to grow slightly bigger after she diablerized that Smokeform Fused in Oathbringer . I wonder just How big she can get . That would be awesume if she could reach the size of a Dragon !!

On 12/9/2019 at 11:16 AM, Pathfinder said:

So I was about to create a thread about this . I searched for Larkin and this popped up . I was wondering about this as well . Chiri-Chiri seemed to grow slightly bigger after she diablerized that Smokeform Fused in Oathbringer . I wonder just How big she can get . That would be awesume if she could reach the size of a Dragon !!

3 hours ago, SzethIsBadAsHell said:

If you do a forum search on lanceryn (it is hard to find. if you give me a bit I may be able to pull it up for you), but there is a post quoting Peter (Brandon's editor) stating that the larkin is the early form of a lanceryn, which is referred to as a greatshell that was formerly thought extinct. So although not outright confirmed, I think it hints (I hope) that Chiri-Chiri will get dragon size. 

edit: here is where I posted elsewhere, and then the link to the source:

AhoyMatey (paraphrased)

Are larkin and lanceryn one and the same?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There’s a little bit more than just [being] one and the same, but in some ways they are.

Words of Radiance Seattle signing (March 8, 2014)

Larkin and lanceryn
1. In WoK, Jasnah's mention of this lanceryn befuddled me a lot. We know that it is a kind of greatshell with gemhearts native to Aimia, but except this, we know nothing. The translator interpreted it as "lance-beast". I suspect he got it inspired because "lanceryn" is similar to "lance", which is a kind of weapon. I'd like to know whether this name origins from "lance" or not. If not, could you simply describe how this creature actually looks like, so I can come up with a new term? (I'm not sure if the former translator has ever contacted you.)
2. So larkins are more like flying insects? I imagine they are a mixture of crab (or any crustacean), wasp and little dragon. Is that okay? (Do larkins really have reddish/brown crusts?)

Peter

The lanceryn and larkin are two names for the same creature. When it says lanceryn, it’s definitely referring only to the enormous greatshell version that is believed to be extinct. The name is not related to “lance”…I think. The small larkin can be considered the cremling/larva version of the lanceryn.

Edited by Pathfinder

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

If you do a forum search on lanceryn (it is hard to find. if you give me a bit I may be able to pull it up for you), but there is a post quoting Peter (Brandon's editor) stating that the larkin is the early form of a lanceryn, which is referred to as a greatshell that was formerly thought extinct. So although not outright confirmed, I think it hints (I hope) that Chiri-Chiri will get dragon size. 

AhoyMatey (paraphrased)

There’s a little bit more than just [being] one and the same, but in some ways they are.

Larkin and lanceryn
1. In WoK, Jasnah's mention of this lanceryn befuddled me a lot. We know that it is a kind of greatshell with gemhearts native to Aimia, but except this, we know nothing. The translator interpreted it as "lance-beast". I suspect he got it inspired because "lanceryn" is similar to "lance", which is a kind of weapon. I'd like to know whether this name origins from "lance" or not. If not, could you simply describe how this creature actually looks like, so I can come up with a new term? (I'm not sure if the former translator has ever contacted you.)
2. So larkins are more like flying insects? I imagine they are a mixture of crab (or any crustacean), wasp and little dragon. Is that okay? (Do larkins really have reddish/brown crusts?)

Peter

The lanceryn and larkin are two names for the same creature. When it says lanceryn, it’s definitely referring only to the enormous greatshell version that is believed to be extinct. The name is not related to “lance”…I think. The small larkin can be considered the cremling/larva version of the lanceryn.

*opens link, proceeds to freak out, brain.exe crashes*

Edited by Honorless

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

AhoyMatey (paraphrased)

Larkin and lanceryn

Peter

Niiiiiiiice !!! ( in my The Lopen voice) 

• 3 weeks later...

In Brandon's recent AMA, he says that Jasnah gets only a few viewpoints and not until later in the book. I think that this places her pretty firmly in group 3, although a lesser part in group one is technically still possible.

Edited by ChickenLiberty