How to make a Soother emotions-reading ?

Dracnor

Hello,

A friend of mine wrote a LARP inspired from the universe of Mistborn. One of the characters is a Soother with this strange ability to read emotions of peoples in addition to soothing them. Of course, this isn't possible for a normal soother in Mistborn; Breeze or his narration says a couple time that soothing isn't mind-reading and that a good Soother is someone with a good enough knowledge of human behaviour to guess the emotions of their targets.

I started to wonder : would it be possible to create this emotion-reading ability in Mistborn ? Hemallurgy seems like the perfect tool, but how to use it ? Which trait must be stolen, and to whom ? Or is it definitely impossible ? Any ideas ?

Edited by Dracnor

4 minutes ago, Dracnor said:

I started to wonder : would it be possible to create this emotion-reading ability in Mistborn ? Hemallurgy seems like the perfect tool, but how to use it ? Which trait must be stolen, and to whom ? Or is it definitely impossible ? Any ideas ?

Mind reading is incredibly difficult in the Cosmere(if it is even possible).  Even the shards don't realy seem to be able to do it.  You could spike out something like emotional perception that would make you better at emotional incite but that is about it.

Edited by Karger

30 minutes ago, RShara said:

Empathic/Empathy is probably the word you're looking for. And the first problem would be finding someone who was an empath, before you could spike it out of themn.

Do we know anyone with that ability to spike out?

1 minute ago, RShara said:

Not that I can think of, which is why it's the first problem :D

I am fairly sure the Nightwatcher could grant it so seeking her out might work.  One of the Selish magic systems should also be able to do that too.  I don't think Hemalurgy is the best way to go about this but if you can find a way to spike out the mental ability to understand others and get a bunch of those spikes it might work...

Another direction to take this would be with some weird Connection manipulation. If the character somehow Connects with whoever they're soothing, perhaps it gives them a better understanding of the person and lets them read their emotions, in a sense.

45 minutes ago, Artemos said:

Another direction to take this would be with some weird Connection manipulation. If the character somehow Connects with whoever they're soothing, perhaps it gives them a better understanding of the person and lets them read their emotions, in a sense.

Being that deeply connected with someone would have severe side effects.

• Chaos locked this topic