Best main POV Character?

That Violin Guy

16 hours ago, agrabes said:

I thought he had a great story arc in tWoK and WoR - does a lot of bad deeds, but feels bad about it and then realizes what he's done is wrong and was entirely his own choice all along.  Then he dies and pays the price.  If it had ended there, he would probably be one of my favorite characters.  Instead, he sort of pops back up and is told that everything he did was fine because he did what he thought was the law and then he moves on as if he never murdered dozens of people as part of a plan to plunge the world into chaos.

It annoyed me that he got brought back to life but at least he introduced nightblood to Stormlight archive so I was more forgiving just because I was excited for Nightblood. No the real crime of the Szeth story arc is how brandon changed the continuity to have Kaladin not kill Szeth. That scene was super cool and powerful for me and when it just changed to "szeth just killed himself" I think it took alot out of the story for both characters.

15 hours ago, Lightblood said:

It annoyed me that he got brought back to life but at least he introduced nightblood to Stormlight archive so I was more forgiving just because I was excited for Nightblood. No the real crime of the Szeth story arc is how brandon changed the continuity to have Kaladin not kill Szeth. That scene was super cool and powerful for me and when it just changed to "szeth just killed himself" I think it took alot out of the story for both characters.

I read the aduiobook and Kal kills Szeth in that, I consider that ending cannon and not the other.

The problem with Szeth is Brandon is doing too much handwaving with him (like how he joins up with Team Dalinar, the retcon at the end of WoR). It detracts from the character. Feels like Brandon is rushing these novels a bit too much. :(

As for my favorites, I've been a big Shallan fan, because of her personality, the art angle, and her struggles. Though Dalinar may have edged her out in OB. After them, Adolin and Kaladin. Kaladin's depression drags him down for me a little bit (and similarly, Shallan's most recent problems are starting to wear a little thin). Adolin has been a source of interesting perspectives throughout, and I'm looking forward to him awakening his blade.  I cringed at the thought of a novella for Lift, as she's too silly for my tastes, but Brandon did a good job making that novella interesting and making Lift interesting. Her pairing with Szeth was interesting, though in some ways it makes sense since there's no bad blood there and I don't see her getting hung up on past mistakes. Ship once Lift is older anyone?

2 hours ago, Argel said:

The problem with Szeth is Brandon is doing too much handwaving with him (like how he joins up with Team Dalinar, the retcon at the end of WoR). It detracts from the character. Feels like Brandon is rushing these novels a bit too much. :(

There will be more conflict with Szeth joining Dalinar, but he's putting it off until SA4, likely because he felt like Oathbringer was getting too long.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Szeth starts book four in jail, Dalinar instructed him to go. Compared to Oathbringer, his role in the book is smaller, closer to book one in scope. His role in the spotlight is mostly saved for book five.

DragonCon 2019 (Aug. 31, 2019)

On 9/2/2019 at 8:00 PM, ChickenLiberty said:

There will be more conflict with Szeth joining Dalinar, but he's putting it off until SA4, likely because he felt like Oathbringer was getting too long.

I do think you're right in terms of Sanderson's thinking, but I also agree with Argel in the sense that I believe the story suffers for it, at least through the three books we have.  Brandon needed/planned for Szeth to be part of the big battle at the end of OB and probably struggled to figure out how he could realistically do that while also keeping OB to a reasonable size.  The situation wasn't -totally- illogical: Szeth showed up at a time of need when Dalinar pretty much had to take all comers.  Then, after the fact Dalinar does sort of an object lesson type of thing where he tells Szeth he needs to accept punishment for his crimes.  Probably sort of a test - like you will be able to leave jail once you're ready kind of a thing.

I still think the story suffers a bit though - in a perfect world Szeth would have had a really cool story arc for how he gets back with the main team.  Sort of like how both Shallan and Kaladin had cool story arcs for joining up with the Kholins.  Neither of them were able to just show up one day and become buddies with the Kholins, they had to prove themselves in various ways so that it felt really natural for them to all become friends/family/allies.  It may be that he still will have a good story arc.  I'm glad to hear this latest WOB because it does seem like he has a good plan in mind.  Maybe once all the first 5 books are out, we'll be more satisfied with Szeth's arc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I absolutely adore Kaladin but his chapters can be quite intense. Shallan's chapters, especially in WoK were very refreshing. My favourite PoVs though were the interlude characters: every single one of them were so interesting: Ishikk, Rysn, Axies, Ym (sniffles, salutes), Kaza (salutes), Ellista, Geranid (and her companion Ashir), Baxil (but really Ax and Ash), Sheler (so cathartic! Plus the General and the Hog).

My favorite main character is Shallan. I relate to her quite a bit, though I don’t share her PTSD and abusive family struggles.

Overall, my favorite PoV characters are Rysn and Axies. Both of them left such an impression in their comparatively short screen time that I can’t help but love them.

On 8/29/2019 at 4:42 AM, Lightblood said:

I didn't have a problem with him being brought back but I completely agree with the way he died part. I read the retcon first and it seemed jarring before I read the original and I much preferred the original. 

• Chaos locked this topic