Just now, Chartreuse Penguin said:

I'm here I swear. Amethyst Scorpion so we are guaranteed to lynch an inactive.

It's interesting how people are always so much more willing to lynch inactives in anon games vs standard games.  Why is that?
This is a standard village/elim game after all, and an inactive lynch gives us significantly less info.

28 minutes ago, Indigo Weasel said:

It's interesting how people are always so much more willing to lynch inactives in anon games vs standard games.  Why is that?
This is a standard village/elim game after all, and an inactive lynch gives us significantly less info.

Could just be a factor of not having any emotional conections to the person. There's no "oh I don't want to kill that player because I haven't played with them in forever" or "But most games they're a useful and talkative player, they're worth sparing for a cycle!"

Well an inactive lynch could give us plenty of information if we happen to hit an emilinator with it, and they get defended or if we hit a hidden role and get to learn interesting things we didnt know. I feel like people may be waiting to see what happens this cycle before going for serious lynches- how many kills, any vote shenanigans, and what roles are revealed, etc

Edited by Ivory Dragonfly

The mask pressed against his face, too heavy to be comfortable. Vostrath kept reaching to pull it away, but knew that would be very bad. He kept fidgeting with it instead, trying to find a comfortable place for the porcelain to rest.

He stepped into the hall. It had been transformed since the night before. Where rows and rows of tables had been, was nothing but empty floor. Dozens of people stood around the room, holding drinks and plucking decadent foods from passing trays. Everyone was dressed in extravagant costumes, making it impossible to find anyone.

One strange person was holding a small statue of a fish, which appeared to be burned.

What a strange person. Wait. Where is the emperor? Vostrath’s focus shifted to where the throne normally sat. It was gone. The emperor was nowhere in sight. Surely, he wouldn’t dress up like everyone else.

Vostrath sighed. Of course he wouldn’t be able to find the emperor. No matter. Any strike against the Heritage Faction would be good enough for their cause. He scanned the room, looking for a fresh target.

---

Othu stood quietly in the corner of the hall. Crowds made him uncomfortable, but he felt obligated to attend. Tosgyn had been a friend.

Watching the people move and mingle was like watching a dance, though no one was actually dancing. It was all the politics. Othu lifted the beak of his heron costume and took a sip of his drink. It was smooth, and made his muscles relax just slightly. At least there was something comforting at this party.

The relaxation didn’t last long as he noticed a tall man wearing a white porcelain mask walking his direction. He quickly downed the rest of his drink.

“Good evening,” the man said with a slight bow. “Enjoying yourself, I hope?”

Othu shrugged. “I suppose.” He looked down into his cup, regretting it was already gone.

“Would you like another?” the man said, gesturing toward the empty cup.

Othu nodded. 

The man waved for an attendant. As soon as she reached them he lifted two off the tray, handing one over to Othu. He took it gratefully.

“Interesting time for a party, wouldn’t you say?” asked the man in nearly a whisper.

“We recently discovered a text that detailed a week of masquerades to celebrate the changing seasons.”

“And a death doesn’t stop a good harvest festival, does it?”

Othu bristled at the comment. “Tosgyn was a driving force to make this happen. He would have wanted it to continue with or without him.”

“Of course.” His tone was still condescending.

Othu ignored the comment, opting to drink again instead.

---

Vostrath felt a hand slap him on the shoulder. He turned to see a vulture standing next to him. He grinned beneath the mask.

“Why so secluded?” asked the vulture. “Come, join the festivities.”

“You’re right.” Vostrath turned to the one parading as a heron. He pulled a small poison-tipped needle from his pocket, hiding it between two fingers. “Enjoy yourself tonight.” He patted the man’s shoulder, feeling the needle slip through the fabric and into the heron’s skin.

The heron nodded, and Vostrath took his leave to join the main group in the middle of the hall.

---

“You’re contemplating something, Othu” the vulture said, a grin showing beneath the hooked beak of the costume. “I can see it in your eyes.”

Othu looked up. “How did you know me?

The vulture laughed, slapping his shoulder. “You’re the only one who habitually distances yourself from the festival.”

Othu suddenly became anxious. There had been some small comfort in knowing it was a masquerade, but being so easily recognized was uncomfortable. Othu didn’t feel he belonged among the rest of the arbiters. He started to sweat, as if the room had become unbearably hot inside. Breathing became difficult, so he ripped off the mask. Still, air refused to enter his lungs.

“Are you alright?” the vulture asked.

Othu could do nothing but shake his head.

Breathing. Why was it so hard to breath?[/]

Darkness grew around his vision. He couldn’t stand upright. A wave of dizziness overtook him, and he collapsed to the hard marble floor. 

Why is it so hot? Am I… am I dying?

The blackness overtook everything.

Then there was nothing.

---

The vulture cried out for someone to fetch a resealer.

What was wrong with him?

A glint of something in Othu’s shoulder caught his attention. He reached for it and pulled it out. A needle.

Poison?

Angry voices surrounded him. He heard at least one person shouting that he, the vulture, had killed Othu. They were calling him Glory Faction.

Rough hands seized his arms and dragged him away. He was stunned. He tried to say it wasn’t him. He tried to show them the needle. They weren’t listening.

“Shut him up,” one of the strikers said. 

Pain shot across his head, and he remembered nothing else.

The vulture would not wake again.

Amber Vulture was lynched! They were the Head Arbiter of the Heritage Faction

Mint Heron was killed! They were a member of the Heritage Faction

Vote Count:
Chartreuse Penguin (1) - Cream Tuatara
Mint Heron (0) - Mauve Crocodile
Azure Mouse (1) -
Amber Vulture (1) - Charcoal Hyena
Amethyst Scorpion (1) - Coral Swan, Chartreuse Penguin
Magenta Albatross (1) - Azure Mouse

Player Count

Spoiler
  1. Amber Vulture Head Arbiter
  2. Amethyst Scorpion
  3. Azure Mouse
  4. Charcoal Hyena
  5. Chartreuse Penguin
  6. Coral Swan
  7. Cream Tuatara
  8. Emerald Falcon
  9. Fuchsia Ostrich
  10. Indigo Weasel
  11. Ivory Dragonfly
  12. Magenta Albatross
  13. Mauve Crocodile
  14. Melon Dingo
  15. Mint Heron Heritage Faction

Revealed Rules and Roles

Spoiler

Head Arbiter of the Heritage Faction - Change the vote of someone who's already voted

Reminder: Rules for Anonymous Accounts:

Spoiler

There are a number of rules associated with the use of an Anonymous Account. Please follow them carefully. Given the potential for abuse of Anonymous Accounts, any rule breaking using the accounts will be dealt with harshly.

1) Do not change the password of the anonymous account you are issued.

2) Do not use the anonymous accounts to PM any non-anonymous account, other than the account of the GM. Please do not use your normal accounts to PM anonymous accounts.

3) Do not change anything cosmetic about the accounts, including member title, username, signature, and avatar.

4) Do not reveal your identity or explicitly claim to be another player.

Please check which account you are on prior to submitting a post on the thread. If you do post from the wrong account, tag a moderator (Fifth Scholar or Alvron first) so it can be addressed as quickly as possible.

Rule Reminder:
PMs are open
No vote minimum
Tied lynches will be decided at random and one person will be lynched

This cycle will close Friday, September 13th at 11 a.m. PST.

Edited by Elandera

Mint Heron hasn't been online since just after the game started, so they can't have been the ones to Soothe the vote off themselves. I personally don't see people trusting inactives on D1, so I am inclined to believe that they are both either evil or another faction. Heron's teammate probably either wasn't up for the lynch, or Heron has a more important role.

The exact same can be said for Scorpion as well.

19 minutes ago, Indigo Weasel said:

Mint Heron hasn't been online since just after the game started, so they can't have been the ones to Soothe the vote off themselves. I personally don't see people trusting inactives on D1, so I am inclined to believe that they are both either evil or another faction. Heron's teammate probably either wasn't up for the lynch, or Heron has a more important role.

The exact same can be said for Scorpion as well.

Mint Heron was killed. This vote seems rather pointless

Huh, that's interesting. Someone voted on me, yet it won't say who... It also seems like some vote manip was done with Chartruese Penguin and Amethyst Scorpion.

Also, Albatross, I would have taken my vote off you, but rollover snuck up on me fast.

Amber Vulture was Head Arbiter. I'm not sure what that means, but my intuition tells me that it is bad that we have lost them.

1 hour ago, Indigo Weasel said:

I personally don't see people trusting inactives on D1, so I am inclined to believe that they are both either evil or another faction. Heron's teammate probably either wasn't up for the lynch, or Heron has a more important role.

Evil Soothers can mess with the lynch purely to throw suspicion on people, so long as there aren't any elims up for the lynch. I don't see any great reason for an elim to remove a vote from Heron while simultaneously killing them though. Penguin, Vulture, and Albatross are less likely to be evil if the any vote manipulator belongs to the Glory faction. It's possible that there was only one vote manipulator; if Crocodile, Swan, or Penguin is a rioter variant they could have cancelled their own vote in exchange for moving a vote from either Scorpion or Heron to Mouse.

damnation. I had a good PM going with Vulture, I'm sad to see him go so soon. :(

We mostly just chatted, but Vulture mentioned that he had a piece of Art - it was useless to him, and he couldn't do anything with it, but we both agreed that it probably has something to do with someone's wincon, most likely the Forgers.

@Elandera, I don't suppose that now the Head Arbiter role has been revealed, we can know what it does? Vulture never said specifically, but if it's not revealed, I could take a couple wild guesses based on our PM.

Wasting this cycle lynching an inactive now we have information to work off of seems pointless to me, so Emerald Falcon. A few hours before rollover, there were two votes on Mint Heron, making them one of the leading candidates for the lynch. By rollover, they'd removed their vote and I'd had mine Soothed off, leading to them being safe from the random lynch. I could see a Mint Heron, Emerald Falcon team - Falcon tosses an early poke vote on Heron as a distancing tactic, and later removes after I vote on them to try and prevent a bandwagon on Heron. I don't think the Soothing off Scorpion was the Elim's doing at this stage, though I can't rule it out for certain.

58 minutes ago, Mauve Crocodile said:

@Elandera, I don't suppose that now the Head Arbiter role has been revealed, we can know what it does? Vulture never said specifically, but if it's not revealed, I could take a couple wild guesses based on our PM.

It wasn't my intention to reveal the role mechanics after they died, but I'm making the decision now (while it's still plausible) to do so. 

The Head Arbiter of the Heritage Faction: Change the vote of someone who's already voted.

1 hour ago, Mauve Crocodile said:

Wasting this cycle lynching an inactive now we have information to work off of seems pointless to me, so Emerald Falcon. A few hours before rollover, there were two votes on Mint Heron, making them one of the leading candidates for the lynch. By rollover, they'd removed their vote and I'd had mine Soothed off, leading to them being safe from the random lynch. I could see a Mint Heron, Emerald Falcon team - Falcon tosses an early poke vote on Heron as a distancing tactic, and later removes after I vote on them to try and prevent a bandwagon on Heron. I don't think the Soothing off Scorpion was the Elim's doing at this stage, though I can't rule it out for certain.

But Mint Heron got killed and revealed as a member of the village, didn't he? So if Emerald falcon and mint heron where a team, that would make both of them village XD

But maybe something like the opposite was going on? Falcon was a wolf voting on mint heron who was village, but he didn't want to risk the attention from being on the lynch of a  villager? If that is so, then it would mean that the others up for the vote probably weren't wolves, as Falcon would have wanted to protect those, I think?

I guess I'll vote on Emerald falcon for now, as this feels like it makes a bit of sense.

Edited by Melon Dingo

3 hours ago, Elandera said:

It wasn't my intention to reveal the role mechanics after they died, but I'm making the decision now (while it's still plausible) to do so. 

The Head Arbiter of the Heritage Faction: Change the vote of someone who's already voted.

Huh.  That is a lot less important that I had thought.  Maybe it has to do with someone's win condition?

5 hours ago, Melon Dingo said:

But Mint Heron got killed and revealed as a member of the village, didn't he? So if Emerald falcon and mint heron where a team, that would make both of them village XD

But maybe something like the opposite was going on? Falcon was a wolf voting on mint heron who was village, but he didn't want to risk the attention from being on the lynch of a  villager? If that is so, then it would mean that the others up for the vote probably weren't wolves, as Falcon would have wanted to protect those, I think?

I guess I'll vote on Emerald falcon for now, as this feels like it makes a bit of sense.

This sounds rather convoluted to me. All of that only works if we assume Falcon is evil, but we dont have enough data to make that assumption yet.

I dont have a lot of time right now, but I should in an hour or 2. I'll look at things again then.

Oh, well. There's votes against me. That's interesting. Well. I honestly just removed my vote because I didn't know what to do, and Because I didn't know enough about the mechanics of the game.

Anyway, I don't have any role, and I actually attempted to pick up a random item last night, just to see what would happen.

This cycle I submitted an action to forge myself into a new person, but I was nearly immediately told that because I didn't have a soulstamp, I couldn't do that. I then asked if there was a way for me to obtain a soulstamp, and the answer was no.

@Elandera I enjoyed the writeup and now I'm looking forward to see what else you write!

Well we certainly learnt a thing or two. Definitely seems like we've got more of a standard elimination thing going on, and there are at least roles in the game.

So with the vote manipulation, we know that Vulture was able to move a vote. Do we reckon they did? I'd probably lean towards no. Assuming they were aware that Charcoal Hyena's vote meant that there was a chance they could be lynched if everyone had a single vote on them, I would have either moved Charcoal's vote elsewhere (which didn't happen), or move someone else's vote to someone else. Given that the only player who got a vote moved to them was Azure Mouse, who was not at any point voted for by anyone so wasn't going to put a lead on anyone else, it seems more likely to be that Vulture just didn't use their ability.

If so, then we've still got one or two vote manipulators alive, depending on the type of vote manipulation. But I guess Ostrich already mentioned that.

We might want to be more definite on lynches if we want to avoid leaving things to the whims of the vote manipulators.

@Emerald Falcon - had you mentioned soulstamps when talking to the GM, or was the GM the first to bring up soulstamps?

I've got more thoughts I'm mulling over but I've got up leave for a bit. I'll probably put down a vote when I get back.

2 hours ago, Indigo Weasel said:

This sounds rather convoluted to me. All of that only works if we assume Falcon is evil, but we dont have enough data to make that assumption yet.

I mean, I suppose it kinda is? but that was about all I could figure out from looking at day 1, apart from 'penguin doesn't wan to be lynched' and 'people like lynching inactives for some reason' XD

3 hours ago, Cream Tuatara said:

@Elandera I enjoyed the writeup and now I'm looking forward to see what else you write!

Well we certainly learnt a thing or two. Definitely seems like we've got more of a standard elimination thing going on, and there are at least roles in the game.

So with the vote manipulation, we know that Vulture was able to move a vote. Do we reckon they did? I'd probably lean towards no. Assuming they were aware that Charcoal Hyena's vote meant that there was a chance they could be lynched if everyone had a single vote on them, I would have either moved Charcoal's vote elsewhere (which didn't happen), or move someone else's vote to someone else. Given that the only player who got a vote moved to them was Azure Mouse, who was not at any point voted for by anyone so wasn't going to put a lead on anyone else, it seems more likely to be that Vulture just didn't use their ability.

If so, then we've still got one or two vote manipulators alive, depending on the type of vote manipulation. But I guess Ostrich already mentioned that.

We might want to be more definite on lynches if we want to avoid leaving things to the whims of the vote manipulators.

@Emerald Falcon - had you mentioned soulstamps when talking to the GM, or was the GM the first to bring up soulstamps?

I've got more thoughts I'm mulling over but I've got up leave for a bit. I'll probably put down a vote when I get back.

The GM is the first to have brought up soulstamps I believe. I will check in just a moment.

Edit. Confirmed

Edited by Emerald Falcon

On 9/12/2019 at 4:10 AM, Melon Dingo said:

Hmm :unsure:.  I can kind of see your point, but it seems kind of unlikely.  Amethyst is still probably the best candidate for the lynch though.

Edited by Coral Swan
Put Emerald instead of Amethyst by accident