Dim light from the setting sun fell on a group of men and women sitting around a table. A few of them spoke in hushed but urgent tones. The air was thick with nervous tension. A tall woman, who seemed to be leading the discussion, was unaffected. She pressed forward, demanding the attention of everyone in the room.

A small man in the corner fidgeted with a gold ring on his finger. Light glinted off the  “You can’t possibly-” he began to say.

“Yes, I can,” the woman responded. She stared at him, a hardened determination clear in her expression. “They are weak. Now is the perfect time.”  

---

Raucous laughter filled the Great Hall. The emperor smiled as he looked across the gathering of arbiters. Members of each of the eighty factions were there. Despite most of their arguments against the practices of the Heritage faction, they all loved a good feast.

“Aren’t we missing someone?” asked the head arbiter.

“Hmm?” The emperor had developed quite a talent for ignoring the droning of the head arbiter. The man liked to hear himself talk, even if no one else was listening.

“The Glory Faction seems to be missing. At least, their leaders.”

“Ignore them. They’re simply jealous of how far we’ve come.”

Welcome to MR37/AN6: An Empire is Falling! It takes place in the Rose Empire prior to the events of The Emperor’s Soul. This will be an anonymous, blackout game. Most game-relevant rules will not be revealed except to those to whom they apply. See the following for those rules that will be revealed to everyone.

The Heritage Faction: A new threat has arisen against the Heritage Faction’s hold on the Rose Empire. The leaders must unite and remain strong if they wish to keep their hold of the empire. To win, eliminate all threats against your faction.

The Glory Faction: The Heritage Faction has been in power for far too long. It is finally time to carry out years of planning. It’s time to bring down their reign. To win, eliminate anything that threatens to thwart your plans.

Miscellaneous Rules:

MR: 48hr combined day/night cycles
Maximum number of players is 25
- Players can sign up in the thread, but it is preferred they sign up through a PM to the GM.
Each player will have one action available per cycle
PMs are open
Tied lynches will be decided at random and one person will be lynched

Sign-ups will close Monday, September 9th at 11 a.m. PST.

Fifth Scholar will be the IM. He has requested to not be included in player-to-player PMs at this time.

Reminder: Rules for Anonymous Accounts:

There are a number of rules associated with the use of an Anonymous Account. Please follow them carefully. Given the potential for abuse of Anonymous Accounts, any rule breaking using the accounts will be dealt with harshly.

1) Do not change the password of the anonymous account you are issued.

2) Do not use the anonymous accounts to PM any non-anonymous account, other than the account of the GM. Please do not use your normal accounts to PM anonymous accounts.

3) Do not change anything cosmetic about the accounts, including member title, username, signature, and avatar.

4) Do not reveal your identity or explicitly claim to be another player.

You will be sent a PM with the anonymous account information. All other information will be sent to that account, which is where you will also submit actions.

Please check which account you are on prior to submitting a post on the thread. If you do post from the wrong account, tag a moderator (Fifth Scholar or Alvron first) so it can be addressed as quickly as possible.

Player Count

Spoiler

Players: 15

Pinch hitters: 1

Quick Links

Rule Clarifications

Spoiler

Edited by Elbereth

He walked as confidently as he could down the rows of reveling arbiters. The Heritage faction was a farce, established on a base of drunkenness and apathy. He was there to spark the revolution. That didn’t change the fact his hands were shaking as he reached into a pocket for the vial. He remained focused on his goal: The emperor. Remove the keystone and the arch would fall.

A tall figure cut him off in his path. A minor arbiter of the Heritage faction. “Vostrath, relax! You look so somber. It’s time for celebration!”

He forced himself to smile. “A celebration of what, exactly?”

“The Rose Empire, of course!”

“Of course.”

He still smiled as the woman forced a drink into his hand. Keeping his lips closed, he lifted the goblet and pretended to drink.

“Good,” she said. “Now, go, celebrate!”

Vostrath gently pushed past, returning to his original task. With purposeful strides, he walked up to the emperor’s table.

“Emperor.” He gave a flourishing bow and set the goblet he still held down in front of the man on the large throne, making sure it was next to the cup already on the table. “Compliments of Arbiter Shume.” 

“Arbiter Vostrath,” said the emperor, granting his permission to stand upright again.

Vostrath withdrew his hand, and with swift movements, poured the contents of his vial into the Emperor’s cup. “Wonderful festival tonight.”

The emperor gave only responded with a small nod.

“Head Arbiter Alba wanted me to send her regrets at not being able to attend tonight. She is not feeling well.”

“Thank you. Send her my regards.” The emperor waved a hand of dismissal.

Vostrath bowed again before turning to leave.

---

“He’s so stiff,” said Arbiter Tosgyn, gesturing toward the retreating Glory faction arbiter.

The emperor watched Vostrath, not gracing Tosgyn with a response. He became too talkative when he was drunk. 

The Glory faction had become unusually accommodating as of late. It concerned the emperor. What were they planning? His arbiters ignored his concerns, calling him paranoid. They all believed their reign was untouchable. He didn’t agree.

Tosgyn rambled on, but the emperor ignored him. Their festivals would only go so far at pacifying the rest of the eighty factions, but the Glory faction would not be so easily swayed. There had to be something they could do. Something they could use to cut down their influence. 

Tosgyn caught his attention as he reached for a cup. Too drunk to remember his own drink, he grabbed the emperor’s. He had already brought it to his lips before the emperor could stop him.

Why was he even sitting there?

With a smack of his lips, Tosgyn smiled and continued rambling on.

The emperor tuned him out again. Until a strangled noise interrupted his thoughts.

He looked to Tosgyn, whose eyes were wide. His face grew red and foam started falling from his mouth. The man collapsed forward, head slamming onto his plate of half-eaten food. 

Shouts of alarm rang out through the hall. The festival devolved into chaos.

The emperor looked toward the doors. Toward Vostrath. The emperor shouted for his Strikers to follow.

He was already off in the distance, a mere silhouette against the setting sun.

Welcome to Cycle 1!

I apologize for the delay in getting the turn posted, and with the trouble on the anonymous accounts. Everyone should have updated passwords now. I modified the original PMs. If PASSWORD is in blue and italicized, it should be correct. If you experience any further problems with signing in, please let me know.

Reminder: Rules for Anonymous Accounts:

Spoiler

There are a number of rules associated with the use of an Anonymous Account. Please follow them carefully. Given the potential for abuse of Anonymous Accounts, any rule breaking using the accounts will be dealt with harshly.

1) Do not change the password of the anonymous account you are issued.

2) Do not use the anonymous accounts to PM any non-anonymous account, other than the account of the GM. Please do not use your normal accounts to PM anonymous accounts.

3) Do not change anything cosmetic about the accounts, including member title, username, signature, and avatar.

4) Do not reveal your identity or explicitly claim to be another player.

Please check which account you are on prior to submitting a post on the thread. If you do post from the wrong account, tag a moderator (Fifth Scholar or Alvron first) so it can be addressed as quickly as possible.

Player List

Spoiler
  1. Amber Vulture
  2. Amethyst Scorpion
  3. Azure Mouse
  4. Charcoal Hyena
  5. Chartreuse Penguin
  6. Coral Swan
  7. Cream Tuatara
  8. Emerald Falcon
  9. Fuchsia Ostrich
  10. Indigo Weasel
  11. Ivory Dragonfly
  12. Magenta Albatross
  13. Mauve Crocodile
  14. Melon Dingo
  15. Mint Heron

EDIT:

I forgot to include the general rules as a reminder:

• Each player will have one action available per cycle
  • PMs are open
  • Tied lynches will be decided at random and one person will be lynched

Additionally, this turn ends at 11 a.m. PST on Wednesday, September 11th.

Edited by Elandera

• Alvron locked and unpinned this topic

Time to kill some Bad Guys! I vote to lynch Mint Heron. But I'll probably make a more sensible vote later.

--

edit.

So, what does everyone think? Is this game gonna be role madness? No roles? What kinds of roles would we expect to see where forgery is the basic magic system?

Edited by Emerald Falcon

I wonder if there are going to be any neutral roles or factions.  It seems like it might be a possibility, but I wouldn't take it for granted.  I agree with Azure about the fact that Arbiter, Striker, and Forger are going to be roles.  I might go back and take a look at my copy of TES to see if there are any other things that could be roles.

And the game has begun. Best of luck to everyone as this chaos shrouded in mystery progresses. Should be a fun game!

The fact that the rules talked about eliminating threats against your faction, rather than just eliminate the other faction, definitely leaves it open for neutrals. And I note that there's an odd number of players. Though you could certainly argue if one faction has more hidden roles than another faction, the numbers don't have to be even.  Of course we can't say for sure how everythings balanced, if theres hidden things or not, but it's certainly an  interesting thing to consider.

Heya people, my account works now!

Also, I'm already confused. I read scanned through  (these games rack up page-counts!) a couple of previous games while waiting for this one to start, and it seemed like there's a group of wolves, a village group and sometimes some neutrals, but the dragonfly suggests the numbers might even be even? How would that work out? Wouldn't the wolves basically win automatically in that case?

1 hour ago, Melon Dingo said:

Heya people, my account works now!

Also, I'm already confused. I read scanned through  (these games rack up page-counts!) a couple of previous games while waiting for this one to start, and it seemed like there's a group of wolves, a village group and sometimes some neutrals, but the dragonfly suggests the numbers might even be even? How would that work out? Wouldn't the wolves basically win automatically in that case?

If it were a normal game, that would be the case. Dragonfly seems to be suggesting that the game might be closer to a faction game, where you have roughly equal groups who try to outplan one another (MR5 would be a good example of this). I think it's more likely that this game is village-wolf - if it were a faction game, there'd likely be more than 2 published teams in the rules, which would raise the possibility of factions making deals with one another against a common enemy. I've sent a couple questions to the GM to see if I can settle that question one way or the other.

And it begins!

4 hours ago, Ivory Dragonfly said:

The fact that the rules talked about eliminating threats against your faction, rather than just eliminate the other faction, definitely leaves it open for neutrals. And I note that there's an odd number of players. Though you could certainly argue if one faction has more hidden roles than another faction, the numbers don't have to be even.  Of course we can't say for sure how everythings balanced, if theres hidden things or not, but it's certainly an  interesting thing to consider.

That's actually quite interesting. I had assumed from the green and red for Heritage and Glory that we were looking at normal village v eliminators, but it actually says nothing about the Glory faction being eliminators with a 'night' kill either. And like you say, the wording seems to suggest multiple factions. I suppose, what's the point of a blackout game if there aren't interesting secrets?

As we wait for the west coast to wake up, I'll let my vote rest on Fuchsia Ostrich.