Intriguing Question I Had

I would say nothing.

Aluminium nullifies the fuel not the source. 

Aka it would nullify metals, stormlight, etc etc. But not larasium or the spren.

If something did happen, i think it would be a massive cyclone of investiture being nullified and then reinvested over and over until the aluminum is gone

Edited by Thanatos

8 minutes ago, John203 said:

Brandon has confirmed, aluminum does not react with a shard pool. You could remove some with an aluminum bowl. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/316-general-signed-books-2018/#e9233

Very interesting, but removing a small amount with an aluminum bowl I imagine would be different than filling the entire pool with aluminum.

1 hour ago, Karger said:

What happens if you fill a pool of water with an insoluble water resistant material?

24 minutes ago, RShara said:

It's inert, so nonreactive. So it'd just sit in the pool until someone took it out, I'd imagine.

I don't think it works that way. An aluminum spike will remove powers and burning it makes all other metal reserves vanish. Aluminum doesn't seem to just resist investiture, but to actively negate it.

Another question: Could aluminum be transported to the cognitive realm via a perpendicularity?

37 minutes ago, not an Evil Librarian said:

Very interesting, but removing a small amount with an aluminum bowl I imagine would be different than filling the entire pool with aluminum.

I don't think it works that way. An aluminum spike will remove powers and burning it makes all other metal reserves vanish. Aluminum doesn't seem to just resist investiture, but to actively negate it.

Another question: Could aluminum be transported to the cognitive realm via a perpendicularity?

But the pool wouldn't be burning it or being spiked with it. It'd just sit there. Like how Nightblood's sheathe is aluminum. It doesn't do anything other than contain the investiture and keep it from leaking out.

Edited by RShara

10 hours ago, not an Evil Librarian said:

Aluminum only seems to have an active effect in the Metallic Arts, not in any other magic system.  (Likely because Brandon hadn't fully fleshed out things about the Cosmere when he wrote Mistborn.)  

10 hours ago, not an Evil Librarian said:

I don't see why not.  That's likely (maybe confirmed?) how Nightblood ended up on Roshar.  

15 hours ago, John203 said:

Brandon has confirmed, aluminum does not react with a shard pool. You could remove some with an aluminum bowl. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/316-general-signed-books-2018/#e9233

In theory, do you think you could transport an entire perpendicularity using a giant aluminum container?

5 minutes ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

In theory, do you think you could transport an entire perpendicularity using a giant aluminum container?

That is both theoretically possible and an actually good idea kudos.  Imagine how convenient it would be if you could move it through the CR to a world that is not a shardworld?

Just now, Karger said:

That is both theoretically possible and an actually good idea kudos.  Imagine how convenient it would be if you could move it through the CR to a world that is not a shardworld?

Thanks!! We only thought Honor’s perpendicularity was something like the highstorm; in reality, it’s just a giant jacuzzi on wheels:P

I am interested to see if Brandon ever does something like this, a portable perpendicularity that isn’t a Willshaper or Elsecaller.

2 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

I don't think the liquid is the perpendicularity. I think the perpendicularity pierces the three realms, and the liquid is investiture "condensation". A byproduct of the perpendicularity, but not the portal itself. Carting the liquid around might be useful, but probably wouldn't affect the perp. Filling the basin with aluminum as if you were filling a pothole might prevent the perpendicularity from forming there, but I would think it would just manifest somewhere nearby. (The rain can't go in the big pothole, but now it can collect in a smaller one nearby that has now lost its drainage.) 

John203,

Thats how i see it.

Although the shard can chose where the perp is.

Aka Sazed/Harmony or even TLR.

Just to clarify i agree with...

I don't think the liquid is the perpendicularity. I think the perpendicularity pierces the three realms, and the liquid is investiture "condensation". A byproduct of the perpendicularity, but not the portal itself.

This part i agree with

Edited by Thanatos

• Chaos locked this topic