Greetings fellow Sharders, just came in from watching a video from a youtuber I follow by the name of Shad. He released a video today of an interview he did with Brandon, covering various topics, such as the intersection of realism and fantasy, a few various questions, such as who Brandon's favorite super hero is, various pop culture items, publishing and self-publishing, and the announcement that Shad is going to be doing some consulting for Brandon in regards to various Medieval things, like swords, combat, armor, etc. I just wanted to make a thread to see what the thoughts are of anyone else who has watched the video and to discuss the contents therein.

Video Link

5 hours ago, The Last Post said:

Well, now when we see an epic battle with a wall, there will be 

Reveal hidden contents

MACHICOLATIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONS!!!!!!!!

I am so hyped!

but what’s a cube draft? And that Dragon’s bane(?) book? was that the title?

I'd like it if we can get some more technical combat details, for example the different techniques of the different stances.

Also on the spoiler,

try this ONE simple trick to defend against VOIDBRINGERS

ODIUM hates THEM!

1 hour ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

I do have to say, that this announcement doesn't excite me all that much. Glad it does him. I used to watch Shad's videos and all, but now I just can't do it. 

I think that there are a number of cool things that we can get. For example, I think we could get a get paper, like on alcohol or glyphs, but on the stances. Well, that and a number of smaller things. But something like that is what I would hope to come from this.

4 hours ago, A Secret Corner said:

I'd like it if we can get some more technical combat details, for example the different techniques of the different stances.

Also on the spoiler,

try this ONE simple trick to defend against VOIDBRINGERS

ODIUM hates THEM!

Yes! I want all the technicalities!

what?

4 hours ago, A Secret Corner said:

I think that there are a number of cool things that we can get. For example, I think we could get a get paper, like on alcohol or glyphs, but on the stances. Well, that and a number of smaller things. But something like that is what I would hope to come from this.

Pleasepleaseplease!!!!!!!!!!!

(also try the nifty edit button)

I feel quite daft that this seems to be such a well-talked about announcement but I have no idea who this guy is. I know that Sanderson goes to "the experts" for help but it's never usually an announcement anywhere. I get that people are happy that it's happened but I'm just a little confused?

2 hours ago, Wander89 said:

I feel quite daft that this seems to be such a well-talked about announcement but I have no idea who this guy is. I know that Sanderson goes to "the experts" for help but it's never usually an announcement anywhere. I get that people are happy that it's happened but I'm just a little confused?

Eh, it's just something that I thought was interesting, as I follow the guy, and I wanted to see what everyone else thought. To me, the interview itself was generally interesting in subject matter. Also, on why people might be excited, the answer is memes, very, very, many memes essentially, or so I would say.

28 minutes ago, A Secret Corner said:

Eh, it's just something that I thought was interesting, as I follow the guy, and I wanted to see what everyone else thought. To me, the interview itself was generally interesting in subject matter. Also, on why people might be excited, the answer is memes, very, very, many memes essentially, or so I would say.

It's definitely interesting and I can see why others find it interesting. I just feel bad that I didn't know who it was but I did a bit of research now!

Memes are always the answer

I like Shad's videos, so I'm happy for him. I bet he was the one who asked Brandon to have his involvement public, as it's great for his YT channel :P I don't expect to notice any difference in Brandon's writing or world building though.

shad invited brandon to australia to "compare their swords", am I the only one getting distracted by the double entendre? :huh:

anyway, I'm not a regular watcher of youtube, as i vastly prefer written medium over video (language is also important: I read english as well as my mother language, but I stumble a bit on listening, especially on american accents), but I did see a few videos from shad, and I appreciated them. the guy looks like he knows what he's talking about.

though I disagree on his statement on giants wearing padded armor, as the cube/square law dictates that armor would be more cumbersome for them than for regular humans.

Edited by king of nowhere

48 minutes ago, NottTheBrave said:

Really found Brandon's response on The Last Jedi to be quite interesting.  Really validated how I felt, and he delivered in a very non-toxic way.  I really appreciated his insights there.

So much yes.

When the film came out, I was hugely into listening to Writing Excuses.  I really hoped the group would use their knowledge to explain all the things that went wrong with The Last Jedi in actual writing terms. Then I saw that Howard thought it was a really great film, so figured that would just never happen.  I'm kind of relieved to find that Brandon didn't share Howard's feelings about the film.  But of course it makes sense that he can't go on a massive rant about it and burn all those potential future co-workers.

For me the film started off on a sour note the moment Poe puts General Hux "on hold".  Instantly reminded me of Brandon talking about some of the comedy he removed from Warbreaker because it was doing soft fourth-wall breaking - referencing things that didn't exist in the Warbreaker universe.  And there is Last Jedi doing exactly that in the opening scene - telephones don't belong in Star Wars, putting people on hold doesn't belong in Star Wars.  GAH.  And of course it all went downhill from there.

Edit: Just want to add that I don't want to spoil anyone's enjoyment of the film, or try to convince anyone else that the film was "bad". For me it was, but I appreciate that many people found it great.

Edited by Snorkel

11 minutes ago, Snorkel said:

So much yes.

When the film came out, I was hugely into listening to Writing Excuses.  I really hoped the group would use their knowledge to explain all the things that went wrong with The Last Jedi in actual writing terms. Then I saw that Howard thought it was a really great film, so figured that would just never happen.  I'm kind of relieved to find that Brandon didn't share Howard's feelings about the film.  But of course it makes sense that he can't go on a massive rant about it and burn all those potential future co-workers.

For me the film started off on a sour note the moment Poe puts General Hux "on hold".  Instantly reminded me of Brandon talking about some of the comedy he removed from Warbreaker because it was doing soft fourth-wall breaking - referencing things that didn't exist in the Warbreaker universe.  And there is Last Jedi doing exactly that in the opening scene - telephones don't belong in Star Wars, putting people on hold doesn't belong in Star Wars.  GAH.  And of course it all went downhill from there.

I maintained from its release that the movie was a failure of beta readers and not re-drafting.  There's certainly ideas that are wonderful in the film, and its shot so well too.  However, it's just so sloppy and poorly realized.  I find it unbelievable not a single person read it and said "this is perfect and doesn't need another pass at all."  Then again, we know thats not true also from Marks own mouth.  Just a truly bizarre experience where they let one man make such a major movie without listening to any criticism or advice.

On 22/08/2019 at 10:16 AM, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

I do have to say, that this announcement doesn't excite me all that much. Glad it does him. I used to watch Shad's videos and all, but now I just can't do it. 

It has me actually worried.  I've tried to watch a lot of his videos, but he's so rambling, and he goes into speculation so much ... I can't tell whether he has any genuine knowledge or is just making guesses about what sounds right.  It definitely comes across as the latter.

Trying to look up his credentials, and I stumble upon this gem (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebVideo/Shadiversity)

Self-described as "an enthusiast, not an authority", Shad discusses and makes educated guesses on various nerdy topics

That's not helping, internet. D:

^Yeah, I'm not the only person who has that impression of him ...

Ugh.  Now I'm worried that he'll cause Brandon to write bad books somehow.  Ridiculous, that couldn't happen.  But, I'm really not overjoyed at his choice of "expert".

3 hours ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

Not to totally derail this thread, but in answer, just the fact that he dislikes TLJ so much is what I disagree with. 

Don't worry about the subject matter. I opened this thread to talk about everything involved in the interview.

On that subject, was there somethings that Brandon disliked that you liked, or vice versa, or was there something that you liked from say a writing perspective that Brandon didn't mention?

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently this happened earlier in the year.

Nusensei is a really cool archery youtuber, with lots of informative videos.  Apparently he made a reaction video to one of Shadiversity's videos, saying a bunch of stuff he disagreed with.  Shad responded with his own reaction video "Nusensei: idiot or troll?"

Nusensei took down his original reaction video and made the below replacement video.  Shad then took down his "idiot or troll" video.  So Shad did eventually respond more maturely to this.  But I'm really unimpressed with how defensive Shad has shown himself to be about criticism of his speculations.  This is something I am worried about specifically concerning the announcement.

Wish Brandon would have Scholagladiatoria for new (melee) weapons expert and Nusensei for archery ... or experts who are too busy to make a youtube channel because of how busy they are being experts.

Edited by Snorkel