Hoid and Surgebinding

2 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

Brandon confirmed that after the third ideal, if Kaladin broke the oaths, Syl would be locked into shardblade form, though since Kaladin is the oath swearing knight that broke them, it would be easier for him to revive her via re-swearing the oaths. 

Nothing to do with your theory, but as an aside, do we have a WoB that Maya is from a 3rd ideal radiant? Since she is a shardblade, we can assume the radiant is at least 3rd ideal, but she could potentially be up to 4th, or 5th ideal. The windrunner and stoneward radiants in Dalinar's vision all had their shardplate, so theoretically they were all at least at their 4th oath. So Maya could be 3rd, 4th, or 5th oathed radiant spren. 

Locked into Shardblade form even if she hasn't been summoned as one already? That's interesting.

And I meant 3+ Ideal for Maya's former bondholder. If she'd reached a higher Ideal than the third, per my "spren scarring" theory, so much the harder for Adolin to go Full Radiant with her.

14 hours ago, robardin said:

Locked into Shardblade form even if she hasn't been summoned as one already? That's interesting.

If you mean if he breaks the oaths while she is floating around, not in shardblade form, would that force her into shardblade form, that I do not know. I believe so, but I am not sure if it is explicit in the WoB or not. I will pull them up and add them for clarity. 

Questioner (paraphrased)

If after speaking the Third Ideal, Kaladin were to betray his oaths, would Syl turn into a Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes.

Words of Radiance Washington, DC signing (March 20, 2014)

And I meant 3+ Ideal for Maya's former bondholder. If she'd reached a higher Ideal than the third, per my "spren scarring" theory, so much the harder for Adolin to go Full Radiant with her.

No worries. Didn't mean it for it to be a nitpick, nor to disprove your theory. Just meant it as added info, to potentially add to your theory. Which looks like it did, so great :)

Edited by Pathfinder

I am not convinced Hoid needs all the spren. At most, he may want an Honor spren and a Cultivation spren, but I suspect he has sufficient for his purposes. Is he trying to get every power, or access to each Shard? The latter I suspect. 

But that also means that he is very interested in bonding a voidspren. Hopefully safely. 

• Chaos locked this topic