Nergaoul as a splinter of Ambition

So I was thinking the other day about the origin of the unmade, and it occurred to me that the effects of the Thrill sounded unlike what Odium does to other people, he is described as the Void and sucks in all emotion. The Thrill on the other hand gives passion in warfare and competition, it drives people to greater ambition. Dalinar, in the height of his Thrill induced "intoxication" grew so ambitious that he nearly killed Gavilar. To me that looks like a piece of Ambition got broken off of the main shard as it got splintered and got corrupted by Odium. 

Thoughts?

All the Unmade are confirmed to be Splinters of Odium. Besides, I don't think Nergaoul adds passion. I think it removes inhibitions and rationality and enhances hate. Boosting adrenaline while inhibiting parts of the frontal lobe would account for its effects.

The Unmade are splinters of Odium.

WeiryWriter

Are the Unmade Splinters of Odium?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Good guess.

/r/books AMA 2015 (March 12, 2015)

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

1) The Nightwatcher and Stormfather are parallel entities such that Nighwatcher:Cultivation :: Stormfather:Honor.

2) There is sort of a parallel for Odium, but the parallel is the various Unmade instead of a single entity.

3) They are parallel in that they are all Splinters.

4) The Unmade are voluntary Splinters, because Odium ("like almost all of the other Shards") voluntarily Splintered part of it's power.

5) The Stormfather is different from the others because it's a Sliver.

JordanCon 2016 (April 23, 2016)

As for Nergaoul being red, given what it does it's entirely fair to assume its appearance simply reflects the Thrill's effect on people.

4 hours ago, Weltall said:

The Unmade are splinters of Odium.

As for Nergaoul being red, given what it does it's entirely fair to assume its appearance simply reflects the Thrill's effect on people.

Wait, does that mean that bonding with an Unmade would technically make you a (presumably Void-variant of) Bondsmith? If they're meant to parallel the Stormfather, and bonding the Stormfather makes you a Bondsmith... woah.

That's kinda worrying tbh.

1 hour ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Wait, does that mean that bonding with an Unmade would technically make you a (presumably Void-variant of) Bondsmith? If they're meant to parallel the Stormfather, and bonding the Stormfather makes you a Bondsmith... woah.

That's kinda worrying tbh.

It would be quite frightening if the Unmade bonds worked the same way. But judging from what happened with Amaram and Aseudan, as well as how Dalinar feels during a Thrill hangover, Odium's splinters consume their Bondmates. The power they grant may be massive but it's ultimately temporary. Overuse is fatal more times than not. Even for non fatal cases the results often lead to suicidal tendencies. You can't tell me that Sadeas' death and the circumstances revolving around it had nothing to do with suicidal tendencies.

1 hour ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Wait, does that mean that bonding with an Unmade would technically make you a (presumably Void-variant of) Bondsmith? If they're meant to parallel the Stormfather, and bonding the Stormfather makes you a Bondsmith... woah..

We've seen what happens when Yelig-nar is bonded and it grants access to all.the Surges (possibly only nine and possibly the slightly different ones the Fused use) and both people who tried it ended up dead. The Unmade are probably individually weaker than the Stormfather/Nightwatcher, especially the former since he's more powerful now than he was before the Recreance and merging with Tanavast's Cognitive Shadow.

13 minutes ago, Bigmikey357 said:

You can't tell me that Sadeas' death and the circumstances revolving around it had nothing to do with suicidal tendencies

I'm not sure what you mean, are you saying Sadeas wanted to commit suicide? He was not under the influence of the unmade, and WoB says Adolin was not under the influence of the unmade.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/44-minicon-2015/#e659

3 hours ago, John203 said:

I'm not sure what you mean, are you saying Sadeas wanted to commit suicide? He was not under the influence of the unmade, and WoB says Adolin was not under the influence of the unmade.

I believe he is speaking of Sadeas's ridiculously reckless behavior patterns immediately prior to his death.  Pushing Adolin to the edge and then confronting him in a corridor and insulting him for example.

• Chaos locked this topic