cultivation has vines for eyes {*OB spoilers}

ThoughtWeaver

1. when dalinar meets cultivation, she is described as wearing a dress that turns to bark and melds with background. with vines comming out of bottom of dress and going into the ground.

2. there is multiple mentions thats the middle area of roshar is very heavily covered in vines. 

2a. (chapter 52 OB) dalinar says " don't let anyone in, not even the night watcher herself
        -shortly after he leaves the tent to see evi. 
        -he steps on vines. it then explains vines grow more and more common going west into vadanar. 

3. -OB chapter 77 16:33 remaining. shallan sees vines growing back out on wall in kholinar after everstorm passing, one patch had specifically been struck and burned by everstorm lightning !!!

4. -WoK chapter I-2 8:20 remain. wall covered in vines at davar estate.

conclusion: vines are to cultivation as mist is to preservation.

5 minutes ago, Karger said:

Cultivation has her own Mist.  We see it in the valley.

yes I know, and I'm sure preservation (seeing as he helped make the world) was in some living plants (when they existed on scadrial). I'm saying cultivation is using the vines to some purpose.  why else would everstorm lightning (odium) specifically target some vines.    from what I've learned Sanderson gladdly adds forshadowing to his worldbuilding elements. 

11 minutes ago, ThoughtWeaver said:

Sanderson, the forshadowing master. has vines mentioned this many times just because cultivation "likes vines"? 

I have multiple other references to vines in all 3 books

He also mentions rocks and spheres and rockbuds and boots a million times each. Not everything has significance. I'm not saying it can't, I'm saying, I don't think it's significant. It's simply describing a type of growth, imo.

Edited by RShara

-lifts spren Wyndle is litterally made of vines, and is litterally known as a "cultivationspren". 

- ishi is an ardent in kholinar who secretly makes food for the entire wall gaurd using a soul caster. she is described as having vines growing under her skin.

Vines are definitely important. and should be a "hotword" in the same way we pause anytime we see the word "cremling"

Edited by ThoughtWeaver

8 minutes ago, ThoughtWeaver said:

- ishi is an ardent in kholinar who secretly makes food for the entire wall gaurd using a soul caster. she is described as having vines growing under her skin.

This is because she has savantism from only using the essence of pulp ie plant matter.

9 minutes ago, ThoughtWeaver said:

-lifts spren Wyndle is litterally made of vines, and is litterally known as a "cultivationspren". 

That is likely because of human perception

9 minutes ago, ThoughtWeaver said:

Vines are definitely important. and should be a "hotword" in the same way we pause anytime we see the word "cremling"

We should not pause every time we see the word cremling.  It is a common curse.

@Karger We can and do pause at the word cremling because of its known correlation to sleepless. your right, sometimes cremling is used as a curse, but much less so that it's used as a descriptor of an actual cremling.  and no, not every time is that cremling a sleepless, be we question weather it might be a sleepless. 

Hence why I mention it as a simile. 

and your saying Wyndle is known as a cultivationspren on the coppermind because of human perception? 

I understand how windspren are shaped by human perception, and flame spren ECT. and when we come to high spren, honor spren may have been based on human perception of the concept of honor.  .. so where then would you say a human perception of the word "cultivationspren" would stem from?

Edited by ThoughtWeaver

2 hours ago, ThoughtWeaver said:

We can and do pause at the word cremling because of its known correlation to sleepless.

I am not sure who "we" are but I am going to say that you are likely wasting a lot of time and that more efficient search parameters for sleepless surveillance are possible.  Make sure that the cremling is alive and doing something in the sentence or even the subject of the sentence before you stop for example.  "IE A cremling scurried away" is a useful sentence"on top of the plate was a single cremling" clearly is not.

Vines are realy common plants both on earth and Roshar.  Cultivation is a shard, a literal god by some definitions.  She can see into the spiritual realm!  Why would she rely on normal means to spy on anyone when she is one of the best shards when it comes to seeing the future?

2 minutes ago, ThoughtWeaver said:

any cremling could possibly be a part of a sleepless and you know it. we don't have enough info on sleepless to rule any out and you know it. don't waste my time. 

I am fairly certain that once steamed and cooked a given cremling is no longer part of a sleepless.

@Karger I'm simply saying vines are possibly more than they appear to be. that's it. and I'm simply looking to discuss the possibility, not get bashed for having the idea. mist is a common thing on Earth and scadrial, yet none of us guessed it would be more than it appeared at the end of mistborn trilogy.  that's it. 

also that is very observant of you to notice that a cooked cremling would not be part of a sleepless anymore. I'm proud of you. and as that has nothing to do with supporting your argument I will promptly ignore it. 

2 minutes ago, ThoughtWeaver said:

mist is a common thing on Earth and scadrial, yet none of us guessed it would be more than it appeared at the end of mistborn trilogy.  that's it. 

Mist that only comes out at night, does not enter buildings, and responds oddly to alomancy is common on earth?  Why did no one tell me?  I personally thought that the mist was going to be a something big and was correct.  The idea that anything could be important is true and it is fine to bring it up but that also means that I and others should be allowed to criticize what we see as problems with your theory.

My current "pause words" are connection(weather or not it is capitalized!), investiture, light, honor, cultivation and identity as well as words that have the same root meaning.  Most of those are generally used to express something important but I am not going to pause every time a see spren, or sphere or cremling weather or not they have meaning unless the context implies something important.  If I did I would never be able to finish the book.  Many thing probably mean something but if you assume that something means everything without any real proof then I not going to see the value in pressuring the theory to the ends of the earth and I am going to criticize what I see as incongruous leaps of logic.  If you still want to keep going that is fine but don't blame anyone else for not following you or if they decide to go the other way.

Well all I have is 6 suscpicios coincidences. apparently that's enough to even warrant discussion. Here I thought this was the discussion website to come talk about fun and wild theories. but dang, 6 coincidences of vines being connected to cultivations is just way way way to few coincidences apparently.  for future references I'm on my 4th re-read of stormlight archive and am purposely looking for fun forshadowing. yikes, guess this isn't the place for that tho. 

coincidence 1: OB chapter 77 16:33 remaining. shallan sees vines growing back out on wall in kholinar after everstorm passing, one patch of vines had been specifically struck and burned by everstoem lightning...

coincidence 2: Wyndle is known as a "cultivationspren" . and is litterally made of vines. 

coincidence 3: cultivations dress is literally made of vines.

coincidence 4:  ithi - has vines growing over her as they souldcast food for kohlinar. "the vines that appear to be growing inside of Ithi and her use of emeralds in her Soulcaster[1]indicate that she accesses the Essence associated with Pailiah" -(dirrext quote from coppermind) "Surge of Progression that can magically heal or grow organic material, which relates to Ithi's abilities."     

coincidence 5: 
_(chapter 52 OB) dalinar says " don't let anyone in, not even the night watcher herself"
        -shortly after he walks outside and litterally steps on vines. then it goes into a whole paragraph about vines and explains how vines grow more and more common going west into vadanar.

coincidence 6: -WoK chapter 64. a pile of rockbuds with their vines outstretched is described right next to dalinar and nviani as they have a pivitol conversation. included dalinar saying the chapter title "I'm a man of extremes".

16 minutes ago, ThoughtWeaver said:

Well all I have is 6 suscpicios coincidences. apparently that's enough to even warrant discussion. Here I thought this was the discussion website to come talk about fun and wild theories. but dang, 6 coincidences of vines being connected to cultivations is just way way way to few coincidences apparently.  for future references I'm on my 4th re-read of stormlight archive and am purposely looking for fun forshadowing. yikes, guess this isn't the place for that tho. 

As evidenced by the number of people who took the time to discuss this we enjoy talking with you about your vine theory.  That does not mean we are under any obligation to believe you though.

12 minutes ago, ThoughtWeaver said:

coincidence 6: -WoK chapter 64. a pile of rockbuds with their vines outstretched is described right next to dalinar and nviani as they have a pivitol conversation. included dalinar saying the chapter title "I'm a man of extremes".

This conversation takes place in a garden.  I believe shalebark is also mentioned.

12 minutes ago, ThoughtWeaver said:

coincidence 5: 
_(chapter 52 OB) dalinar says " don't let anyone in, not even the night watcher herself"
        -shortly after he walks outside and litterally steps on vines. then it goes into a whole paragraph about vines and explains how vines grow more and more common going west into vadanar.

This is actually a fairly common statement.  The Nightwatcher is associated with death "all save the Heralds must dine with the Nightwatcher" is a quote from Nohodon's Way of Kings and Sigzil says he would join anyone even the Nightwatcher if stew was involved.  Vadanar is a much warmer area then Alethkar so the country has more plant life and vines.  Sanderson likes to talk about plant life all over the place as a way of setting the scene.  Remember the sullen grass?  Those underwater trees?  Kaladin Noting that Rockbuds are smaller?

18 minutes ago, ThoughtWeaver said:

coincidence 4:  ithi - has vines growing over her as they souldcast food for kohlinar. "the vines that appear to be growing inside of Ithi and her use of emeralds in her Soulcaster[1]indicate that she accesses the Essence associated with Pailiah" -(dirrext quote from coppermind) "Surge of Progression that can magically heal or grow organic material, which relates to Ithi's abilities."     

This is several successive jumps.  First you say(and I think we all agree) that Ithi(please capitalize a name) has vines growing on her as a result of her soulcasting savantism and that this is the essence of pulp which is associated with Pailiah.  While Pailiah does have the surge of progression or healing.  I fail to see how this relates to anything including your theory.  Her body is turning into the thing she was soulcasting.  This is not the only example of this.  Another soulcaster turns to smoke and another turns to rock.  This is a well documented Rosharan phenomena.  Soulcasting itself is a form a surgebinding which is mostly associated with Honor(Cultivation has her own system).

24 minutes ago, ThoughtWeaver said:

coincidence 3: cultivations dress is literally made of vines.

So she is a snazzy dresser with a sense of theme?  Shards can appear however they want to.  Odium looks like a singer when he talks to them despite being human.

25 minutes ago, ThoughtWeaver said:

coincidence 2: Wyndle is known as a "cultivationspren" . and is litterally made of vines. 

What do you think he should be made out of?  Apparently Rosharans think vines when they hear growing.  That make sense.  Vines are well known to grow quickly over a large amount of ground in a fairly short amount of time(to the irritation of many gardeners).  This does not mean that he is only associated with vines.  He enjoys it immensely when Lift grows a tree in front of him.

29 minutes ago, ThoughtWeaver said:

coincidence 1: OB chapter 77 16:33 remaining. shallan sees vines growing back out on wall in kholinar after everstorm passing, one patch of vines had been specifically struck and burned by everstoem lightning...

If all of the vines had been destroyed that might be noteworthy as it implies that Odium has some interesting in killing off a specific kind of plantlife.  The fact that one patch of vines got hit by an errant bolt of lighting does not seem particularly noteworthy.

• Chaos locked this topic