Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ripheus23

Rayse as the Big Bad

7 posts in this topic

Weird idea, but there's a WoB that says Rayse and Hoid were friends. If Hoid is the endgame protagonist, it would be poignant, maybe, for a friend of his as such to be the endgame antagonist?

Also, can't remember if a Vessel can survive a deSharding, but what if they can, Rayse is SA-defeated by losing Odium, so it's not as Odium that he is the threat later? Or if Vessels die without a Shard, maybe the twist is that Rayse has Odium replaced. So, like, he is made to relinquish Odium but take up a reforged Honor...

I doubt Rayse is going to be the final big bad. That would mean that Stormlight ends without him/Odium being dealt with, which doesn't sound very fulfilling to me.

8 minutes ago, RShara said:

I doubt Rayse is going to be the final big bad. That would mean that Stormlight ends without him/Odium being dealt with, which doesn't sound very fulfilling to me.

What if it was like when Lord Foul was defeated at the end of the first/second Covenant trilogy? Or like, he gets expelled from Roshar and can't come back, but he can still regenerate or what, maybe? And fight elsewhere?

It'd still be a weird ending to Brandon's opus to let Rayse get away like that.

1 minute ago, RShara said:

It'd still be a weird ending to Brandon's opus to let Rayse get away like that.

I didn't think of it that way... I think I let my wishes for MB4 get in the way of my sense of Sanderson's actual story haha

I like where you're going...but agree with RShara on the likely ending of the SA. But what if Bavadin (i.e., Autonomy) is the real "Big Bad"? Letting Rayse fight her battles for her while laying the groundwork to take over the Cosmere? 

It's possible but would it be as tragic? Then again maybe it's already beyond tragedy for Hoid and Rayse not to be friends.