Other uses for lerasium

TheWanderer

So for starters this theory is based upon the premise that Hoid did not just eat the lerasium bead to become a mistborn.

Rather I believe he used it's unique ability to rewrite a spirit web in tandem with his vast knowledge of investiture to rewrite his spiritweb to gain access to forms of investiture he was previously unable to. Now this unorthodox use might have limited or even temporary effects as hoid so far has only shown what I would assume are misting and possibly ferring abilities in stormlight (Well excluding breath and yolish lightweaving). Of course he might have acquired unkeyed metal minds at this point so nothing is certain.

My first post hope you all enjoy.

Edited by TheWanderer

43 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

So for starters this theory is based upon the premise that Hoid did not just eat the lerasium bead to become a mistborn.

Rather I believe he used it's unique ability to rewrite a spirit web in tandem with his vast knowledge of investiture to rewrite his spiritweb to gain access to forms of investiture he was previously unable to. Now this unorthodox use might have limited or even temporary effects as hoid so far has only shown what I would assume are misting and possibly ferring abilities in stormlight (Well excluding breath and yolish lightweaving). Of course he might have acquired unkeyed metal minds at this point so nothing is certain.

My first post hope you all enjoy.

Eating the bead sounds easier.

44 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

It’s a really cool thought, really! But unfortunately the premise is wrong.

Truthwatcher_17.5

We know that Hoid took a bead of lerasium, but it never specifically says that he consumed it.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, he did.

Questioner

Alright, so he is a Mistborn?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, I'll go ahead and canonize that.

Idaho Falls signing (Dec. 29, 2018)

45 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

I had not I'm kind of new to the 17th shard. 

I still do not understand your premise.  Why would he not consume the bead?

I do recognize we are now speaking in hypothetical.

Well the whole idea of this theory is he could potentially get access to more kinds of investiture that were previously locked behind things like the genetic component of scaladrials investiture, or things like the dor which are influenced by your origin and location. Lerasium is the only substance that can rewrite a spirit web (to my knowledge). Hemalurgy just attaches someone else's to yours and most other forms of investiture merely fill in the gaps already there. Lerasium was unique in that it could completely alter what was already there.

That is of course assuming i am correct and lerasium could be used in a manner besides just burning it to become a mistborn. 

Edited by TheWanderer

Your theory wasn't debunked until recently, so you should congratulate yourself. Brandon once confirmed that it is technically possible to alloy lerasium to change your spiritweb in the way you imply,  and it was a theory that Hoid had done this. It had picked up several followers until it was debunked last year with this wob:

PallonianFire

You said that it's theoretically possible that Hoid could have alloyed the lerasium bead with another god metal to acquire another magic. Has he done so?

Brandon Sanderson

He has not. Because there are certain things that were preventing that from working.

Skyward Denver signing (Nov. 15, 2018)

• Chaos locked this topic