I exist, apparently.

Salmon of Doubt

I suppose I'm meant to say hi. So uh, the general Brandon Sanderson knowledge of my friends has been insufficient as of late and I have been recommended this forum as to avoid exploding into a pile of awkwardness and bad references to books they haven't read yet.

Given however, that I have about the social capability of a blobfish that lives in a basement and communicates only in fangirl noises, I have decided to hide behind a reference to a far more talented author than I will ever be to mask my own pitiful inadequacy as I search for a tribe of similarly nerdy people with whom to worship yet another author more talented than I will ever be.

So, um, 'hi'.

(Please be nice to me)

I do hope this is how to reply. Uh, if so, thank you! I really appreciate that. I'm not entirely sure how this forum really works, so I'm glad to have some support. The Spotlight Archive would have to be my favourite series, but Mistborn is very nostalgic to me. (Mistborn is also the only series familiar to my friend group). 

I'm frankly terrified to admit in case my opinion is wrong somehow, but Oathbringer is probably my favourite book just out of all books in general. I'm sorry if I talk too much.

6 minutes ago, Salmon of Doubt said:

I do hope this is how to reply. Uh, if so, thank you! I really appreciate that. I'm not entirely sure how this forum really works, so I'm glad to have some support. The Spotlight Archive would have to be my favourite series, but Mistborn is very nostalgic to me. (Mistborn is also the only series familiar to my friend group). 

I'm frankly terrified to admit in case my opinion is wrong somehow, but Oathbringer is probably my favourite book just out of all books in general. I'm sorry if I talk too much.

You replied just fine! If you want to quote the post that you are replying to, you can click on the quote button (the little plus in a grey box at the bottom of a post). Another helpful thing to know is that posting two or more times in a row is typically frowned upon, so if you would like to add something you can use the edit button, towards the bottom of your post next to the quote button. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

Oathbringer is an amazing book, as is the Stormlight Archive series in general. Your opinion is certainly valid and you don’t talk too much at all. The more words the merrier! (We read Sanderson books here, after all :P)

Edited by Lunamor

I suppose. After finishing Oathbringer, every book felt small in my hands until I got Skyward. I've recovered somewhat by now, but I like a good thousand pages of Sanderson from time to time. 

I'm mostly nervous because, from what I've picked up, my opinions are somewhat unpopular and I'm somewhat afraid that even admitting that Kaladin isn't my favourite character will get me burned at the stake. Regardless, having someone to talk to has certainly helped my confidence, at least somewhat. Thank you for being such a wonderful person and introducing me to this community!

Edited by Salmon of Doubt

9 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

You replied just fine! If you want to quote the post that you are replying to, you can click on the quote button (the little plus in a grey box at the bottom of a post). Another helpful thing to know is that posting two or more times in a row is typically frowned upon, so if you would like to add something you can use the edit button, towards the bottom of your post next to the quote button. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

Oathbringer is an amazing book, as is the Stormlight Archive series in general. Your opinion is certainly valid and you don’t talk too much at all. The more words the merrier! (We read Sanderson books here, after all :P)

Oh, and thank you! It means a lot to me that the people here are so welcoming of new Sanderson worshippers.

Just now, Salmon of Doubt said:

I'm only entirely sure what one of those things are but the prospect of either has gotten me hyperventilating. Probably in a good way.

An RP is a role play, which is basically collaborative story writing, and a guild is a group of people in said RP who have joined together in a group somewhat like a club or organization.

Oh right, well I have some experience role playing, but I've always been too timid to even consider joining a Cosmere RP because I'm afraid that my character will be stupid and everyone will judge me for not knowing my favourite series well enough. . .

Oh, as for a guild, what exactly do you do there, and how do you join?

Oh right, well I have some experience role playing, but I've always been too timid to even consider joining a Cosmere RP because I'm afraid that my character will be stupid and everyone will judge me for not knowing my favourite series well enough. . .

You will be fine. Most of the rping takes place out side of any worlds on the Cosmere (one of the most prominent rps takes place in an imaginary world called the Alleyverse), and you can choose which powers and what background from the Cosmere your character has, so you should be fine even if you have only read the books once.

I would probably just re-create the character template I use for pretty much any role play with magic in it and make someone socially ostracized/loved/both, give them illusions and most of my personality, give them the last name Penumbra (because it's practically a running joke in my friend circle that all of my trickster characters have that name) and then subsequently use them to mess with everyone. Which surely everyone will see through. And I will be humiliated. At least, that's my thought process. Usually people just lose interest first.

I would probably just re-create the character template I use for pretty much any role play with magic in it and make someone socially ostracized/loved/both, give them illusions and most of my personality, give them the last name Penumbra (because it's practically a running joke in my friend circle that all of my trickster characters have that name) and then subsequently use them to mess with everyone. Which surely everyone will see through. And I will be humiliated. At least, that's my thought process. You as lot people just lose interest first.

If you are having doubts or worries about making a good character, you can post in this thread to get some advice and help from people who are much more knowledgeable about these things than I am:

I suppose I could. Better than ever considering it at all. I guess I'm already sort of a Lightweaver, using my username to create the illusion of someone far more cultured than I actually am.

Don’t worry, many people who RP here have never roleplayed before anywhere else (including me), so not knowing much is perfectly fine.

3 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

Don’t worry, many people who RP here have never roleplayed before anywhere else (including me), so not knowing much is perfectly fine.

Thank you so much for everything you have done to help me. I feel way more welcome already and am really enjoying my time here. I can't emphasize my gratitude enough. I hope we can talk again, but for now my sister calls. 

I plan on exploring this forum more in future.

Thank you so much for everything you have done to help me. I feel way more welcome already and am really enjoying my time here. I can't emphasize my gratitude enough. I hope we can talk again, but for now my sister calls. 

I plan on exploring this forum more in future.

You’re welcome! I’m glad you decided to explore some more, you are going to love it!

Welcome to the Shard! We’re glad to have you here. :D Who’s your favorite Sanderson character?

And just so you know, you don’t need to be so nervous about sharing your ideas or opinions. Most people on this site are super friendly and respectful, and we love hearing new and interesting ideas. ;) And while Kaladin is my favorite character, I don’t have any problems with him not being yours. This fandom would be a pretty boring place if we all had the same favorite character.

Edited by Rebecca

2 hours ago, Salmon of Doubt said:

Oh, as for a guild, what exactly do you do there, and how do you join?

Well, go to the Alleyverse subforum, and look for a thread called the Ghostbloods. That's my personal favorite guild, and the thread explains how to join.

(Please note that the guild thread is outdated)

2 hours ago, Salmon of Doubt said:

I suppose I'm meant to say hi. So uh, the general Brandon Sanderson knowledge of my friends has been insufficient as of late and I have been recommended this forum as to avoid exploding into a pile of awkwardness and bad references to books they haven't read yet.

Given however, that I have about the social capability of a blobfish that lives in a basement and communicates only in fangirl noises, I have decided to hide behind a reference to a far more talented author than I will ever be to mask my own pitiful inadequacy as I search for a tribe of similarly nerdy people with whom to worship yet another author more talented than I will ever be.

So, um, 'hi'.

(Please be nice to me)

Hey welcome to the forums!! We’re glad to have you here, and I can’t wait for your contributions!! (Join the Ghostbloods; you get to assassinate people!:P)

Oh, well if we’re recommending Alleyverse guilds, then TUBA is the best one (especially if your against hemalurgically spiking baked goods and then tricking people into eating them)! We’ve got a great little community too. :)

Also, here’s a link that should take you to the Alleyverse subforum, so you can take a look around.

Edited by Rebecca