Draft of a Knight Radiant Dungeons and Dragons character class

Aluminum

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DCUT3ozq7kIJdfvZtvPn64MnVy0ABoTRsOaPGp7FO_Y/edit

I've actually posted this class before but it wasn't finished and the topic was in the wrong subforum. I have finished all the features of the class (with a few exceptions). All that's missing is the narrative elements. If you don't play D&D or some other tabletop RPG this won't interest you and you should go look at something else.

The class is missing something, however. Bondsmiths are just really weird. Once we learn more about the sibling I'll probably turn Bondsmith into its own class with the 3 spren being the subclasses.  If you want to play as a Bonsmith now just take the cohesion and tension surges and ad another Bonsmith themed feature at level 10.

All feedback is welcome and encouraged. This is just a rough draft so I'm very open to changes.

Thanks!

(Tell me if you can't access the document)

Edited by Aluminum

• 5 months later...

It's looking great! I'm a huge D&D fan myself, and I've had a lot of experience making classes. I think that it would be a good idea if you included the first oath "Life before Death, etc" in the class somewhere; it's kind of important. I like that you're making balanced assumptions about higher-leveled Radiants; that's a dangerous but brave thing to do.

One other thing: Every Radiant is different. In the "Skills" section, perhaps you could break the rules a bit and change it up a smidge? If I think that the skills should reflect the subclass, then sometimes I'll put the Skill Proficiency options in the subclasses themselves. This might be a stretch to what you've already done, but it's just an idea. Good job!

So reviewed it briefly, but my one comment is the order in which the radiants gain their surges. As per WoB, it is not a hard and fast rule, and it was originally intended more as a literary device, and some individuals may learn or be better in a different order, but usually it works like this:

truthwatcher

1. progression

2. illumination

lightweaver

1. illumination

2. transformation

elsecaller

1. transformation

2. transportation

willshaper

1. transportation

2. cohesion

stoneward

1. cohesion

2. tension

bondsmith

1. tension

2. adhesion

windrunner

1. adhesion

2. gravitation

skybreaker

1. gravitation

2. division

dustbringer

1. division

2. abrasion

edgedancer

1. abrasion

2. progression

On 1/27/2020 at 0:38 PM, Pathfinder said:

So reviewed it briefly, but my one comment is the order in which the radiants gain their surges. As per WoB, it is not a hard and fast rule, and it was originally intended more as a literary device, and some individuals may learn or be better in a different order, but usually it works like this:

So what I did was divide the surges into major and minor classes. It doesn't work everywhere but it fit pretty well. The major surges are learned later. As each surge works the same for each order. (I know they're used differently between orders but I couldn't take doing even more work). One set has to be more powerful to justify being learned at a higher level. For the most part they make sense and to me at least it doesn't feel like anything obviously wrong has sprung up

13 minutes ago, Aluminum said:

So what I did was divide the surges into major and minor classes. It doesn't work everywhere but it fit pretty well. The major surges are learned later. As each surge works the same for each order. (I know they're used differently between orders but I couldn't take doing even more work). One set has to be more powerful to justify being learned at a higher level. For the most part they make sense and to me at least it doesn't feel like anything obviously wrong has sprung up

No problemo. Otherwise I do not see anything to comment on. Good work and I wish you luck!