Is there a black hole at the center of the cosmere?

Ripheus23

I was thinking, what if the cosmere is made up of the 50 to 100 star systems closest to the center of the encompassing galaxy? Or, they're just adjacent systems in some "random" pocket of the galaxy, which seems dubious to me. So my actual hypothesis is that the main gravitational link between the cosmere-stars is Spiritual. That is, the effect of mass-energy-Investiture on the curvature of spacetime is part of the cosmere's overarching gravitational binding. So, perpendicularities are connected to the gravitational binding of the cosmere, maybe. Like Physical-Cognitive nodes in a Spiritweb for the cosmere as a whole, maybe... (some special Realmatic unity).

I can’t think of any reason it wouldn’t work, and it just help with the implausibility of them just being to next to each other. Maybe as the ultimate source of investiture Adonalsium could be this black hole. His corpse a physical one and residual investiture pulling in other systems with investiture present.  

Edited by Truthwatcher_17.5

I figured the Shardworlds were all relatively close to each other (in cosmic/galactic terms) because the Shards all started in the same place, on Yolen.  There might well be a black hole at the center of the cosmere's galaxy (I think most galaxies are supposed to have one, in our universe?) but it might not be anywhere near the Shardworlds.

We have a WOB that confirms that there is no actual center of the Cosmere:

Questioner

Is there a center to the cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

There isn't a center in the cosmere... I keep calling it a dwarf galaxy but I think they decided it's a cluster, instead of a dwarf galaxy.

Overlord Jebus

Even a dwarf galaxy is still really big.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, still too big. So we had to call it a cluster. Because we only wanted like what, we came up with 50 or 100 stars? So it's a cluster. Or a really dwarf galaxy.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

So the answer is no. There is, however, this little thread on the possibility and ramifications of the black holes in the cosmere:

On 8/15/2019 at 11:06 AM, Ripheus23 said:

Then the orbit of the cosmere-stars must be whack... Like microbes twirling through a bloodstream, maybe...

Maybe, but not necessarily, depends on what that WOB is referring to. If he means "the cosmere" as the entire universe, our universe doesn't really have a center either. If "the cosmere" means specifically the set of Shardworlds and their associated stars, systems, etc., it's probably a cluster within a larger system of some sort (part of a galaxy, or orbiting a galaxy, or whatever), so the orbits might be normal, just the orbital center (supermassive black hole or whatever) is really far away and has nothing to do with the actual Cosmere/Shardworld areas.

• Chaos locked this topic